ADVERTISEMENT

How many days until first practice?

Depends on where you are. VHSL says 28 July, but in NOVA most (all?) will start on 1 August.

Last edited:
Reactions: wikki
Who is it that has the midnight practice the first day? Louisa?
Traditionally, that's correct. I think Coach Fischer originated it and I think he'll keep it. Incredibly, they also get huge fan support for this. But I'm not the Coach. It could change.

There is nothing in Mineral on Friday night but the Lions and it makes every game seem like a bicentennial celebration. Louisa is one of my favorite places to see a game. Almost every player I've known looked forward to playing there. The field is one of the best in the Country (real grass of course). The fireworks are cool. And they even used to have a real Lion at the home games. Always a great night and a good game.

Traditionally, that's correct. I think Coach Fischer originated it and I think he'll keep it. Incredibly, they also get huge fan support for this. But I'm not the Coach. It could change.

There is nothing in Mineral on Friday night but the Lions and it makes every game seem like a bicentennial celebration. Louisa is one of my favorite places to see a game. Almost every player I've known looked forward to playing there. The field is one of the best in the Country (real grass of course). The fireworks are cool. And they even used to have a real Lion at the home games. Always a great night and a good game.
That has always been the problem here in Williamsburg for attendance unless it is against one of the other 2 town teams- Jamestown & Wahill- too much else going on. Busch Gardens is open on Friday thru October, Va Bch is 50 minutes away, colonial williamsburg always has something going on and the sports and activities at William & Mary.

Reactions: mike salem
If I start posting days, plus hours and minutes, send in the guys in the white coats and carrying a very snug fitting jacket, just my size!

Is there a good place to eat in Mineral? I drive through there quite a bit when I go down to see my daughter and son-in-law in Richmond, but I don't see any restaurants.

Is there a good place to eat in Mineral? I drive through there quite a bit when I go down to see my daughter and son-in-law in Richmond, but I don't see any restaurants.
Never eaten a bite in Louisa. Wish I could help you. LouisaFan may be of help but he hasn't been here since the Lions bowed out in the playoffs. Overly optimistic ex player but he should know a decent place to eat that's not McDonalds. Hope he can help.

Message him. And also message OCBoy. He gets around quite a bit. LouisaDad would probably know also. But I haven't seen him on here in many months either.

Never eaten a bite in Louisa. Wish I could help you. LouisaFan may be of help but he hasn't been here since the Lions bowed out in the playoffs. Overly optimistic ex player but he should know a decent place to eat that's not McDonalds. Hope he can help.

Oh, there's no McDonalds in Mineral. At least not on the main drag of 522!

Message him. And also message OCBoy. He gets around quite a bit. LouisaDad would probably know also. But I haven't seen him on here in many months either.
DP, you know I'm a cheapskate and don't pay here, so I can't message folks! I mapquested and found little mom and pop joints.

Oh good grief. I'll reach out to them for you.

FYI, a friend out in Lord Botetourt clued me in on several good places out there. We travel out there for our first scrimmage in August. Also, fate gave me another connection to LB. The young lady that just got hired as our Athletic Trainer grew up in LB. It's funny how the world gets smaller the more you talk with people.

Just two dozen days left. (Mike, you and I could make quick work of "two dozen" it it was just doughnuts! Of course, we have to invite Navy. You know how cops like their doughnuts!)

FYI, this is one of the "Dead Weeks" mandated by the VHSL. Absolutely no contact permitted between coaching staffs and students.

I know of a situation from a few years ago that occurred during a dead week. At a high school not too far from us, a group of kids was so determined to continue their workout schedule, they jimmied the back door lock of the weight room and snuck in and worked out. You got to love that dedication, but it could have gotten ugly. It was handled properly and no harm nor foul. But, don't you wish every kid had that level of determination?

Oh good grief. I'll reach out to them for you.

FYI, a friend out in Lord Botetourt clued me in on several good places out there. We travel out there for our first scrimmage in August. Also, fate gave me another connection to LB. The young lady that just got hired as our Athletic Trainer grew up in LB. It's funny how the world gets smaller the more you talk with people.

Three L'il Pigs BBQ, by the Daleville Kroger, less than a mile from LBHS. You go anywhere else, you done messed up. They started out as a tiny little stall in the old, pre-renovated Roanoke City Market Building. It was a lunch mainstay for me, twenty years ago. They moved out to Daleville some years back. I'm not a huge BBQ guy, but even I can tell this is something special. All of their food is very good.
http://threelilpigsbbq.com

There are other good options, such as Lil' Cucci's, right across 220 from the school; and, the better half tells me there's a wine and Italian food place in the Daleville Town Center, just up the hill. It's a little fancier. Your friend probably told you about all these places.

Three L'il Pigs BBQ, by the Daleville Kroger, less than a mile from LBHS. You go anywhere else, you done messed up. They started out as a tiny little stall in the old, pre-renovated Roanoke City Market Building. It was a lunch mainstay for me, twenty years ago. They moved out to Daleville some years back. I'm not a huge BBQ guy, but even I can tell this is something special. All of their food is very good.

There are other good options, such as Lil' Cucci's, right across 220 from the school; and, the better half tells me there's a wine and Italian food place in the Daleville Town Center, just up the hill. It's a little fancier. Your friend probably told you about all these places.
Now I'm really hungry. For some reason I want barbecue with donut chasers! The only bbq that I've had that was better than 3 Lil Pigs was Lexington BBQ in NC. I would drive the 3 hours 1 way just to eat their malt vinegar cole slaw. Every aspect of that meal was perfection! Anyway, I digress, if you like bbq, 3 Lil Pigs is quite good.

Thanks guys. I'll let Navy make the final call, but he and I both love BBQ, so this is a no brainier.

Now, we need someone to step forward with info for Clarkefan. He was asking about what and where to eat in Mineral when he makes the trip to Louisa. Certainly some of you world travelers can offer you advice?

I may be wrong, but didn't former president George bush eat at three L'il pigs several years ago while he was still president?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I emailed that question to them. It will be neat to see if he really did.

I was checking out the menu. This may sound strange, but I think I may try the Cuban BBQ Sandwich. No particular reason other than I've always wanted to try one the "Cuban" way.

I may be wrong, but didn't former president George bush eat at three L'il pigs several years ago while he was still president?
I might not have supported Bush's opinion on many things but I definitely would have taken a Texan's advice on good BBQ.

I emailed them. You were correct. President HW Bush stopped in on Sept. 12, 2006, while in route to the Homestead.

Navy has been conspicuous in his absence. I guess he is at his Seaside Villa in the South of France again! I wonder if he will have time to travel home on his private yacht, or if he will have his team of pilots bring him home on his custom built 767?

I must be nice to be that wealthy?!?

I emailed that question to them. It will be neat to see if he really did.

I was checking out the menu. This may sound strange, but I think I may try the Cuban BBQ Sandwich. No particular reason other than I've always wanted to try one the "Cuban" way.

The Cuban sandwich is my favorite. It's the default choice if I don't feel like trying something else.

My wife and I sold our villa on the French Riviera; the whole scene had just been overrun by the bourgeoisie. Instead, we plan to summer at Schloss von Spartan in the Bavarian Alps. The food isn't quite as exquisite, but the falconry is unsurpassed.

The Cuban sandwich is my favorite. It's the default choice if I don't feel like trying something else.

My wife and I sold our villa on the French Riviera; the whole scene had just been overrun by the bourgeoisie. Instead, we plan to summer at Schloss von Spartan in the Bavarian Alps. The food isn't quite as exquisite, but the falconry is unsurpassed.

Spartan, I am going to Denver in the morning. A company I do work for locally is buying/leasing a facility out there, and they want to fly me out to evaluate the electrical installation. I'll look around, mumble a few unintelligible electrical terms, and then leave. Maybe they won't realize that I don't have a clue.

What you need to know is that this old country boy has never been further west than West Virginia in his 62 years. I hope the skys are clear so I can at least say I once saw the Rockies!

Spartan, I am going to Denver in the morning. A company I do work for locally is buying/leasing a facility out there, and they want to fly me out to evaluate the electrical installation. I'll look around, mumble a few unintelligible electrical terms, and then leave. Maybe they won't realize that I don't have a clue.

What you need to know is that this old country boy has never been further west than West Virginia in his 62 years. I hope the skys are clear so I can at least say I once saw the Rockies!

My "furthest west" point is Atlanta. And that was to visit immediate family when I was nine years old. After that, mine is also West Virginia. Aside from two trips to Scotland, I'm not very well-traveled.

Have fun and travel safely tomorrow. Denver is supposed to be pretty nice, so I hope you get a chance to enjoy and look around a bit - if you're so inclined.

It will be mostly business, but the flight in and out should be neat. Thanks for the well wishes.

My "friends", are about evenly divided in their advice. Half say, don't eat the brownies, the other half says eat hearty! I think I'll restrict my diet to a good steak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT