ADVERTISEMENT

How many days until first practice?

It will be mostly business, but the flight in and out should be neat. Thanks for the well wishes.

My "friends", are about evenly divided in their advice. Half say, don't eat the brownies, the other half says eat hearty! I think I'll restrict my diet to a good steak.
I was going to say have an expensive brownie, they're really good for flight anxiety!!

My "furthest west" point is Atlanta. And that was to visit immediate family when I was nine years old. After that, mine is also West Virginia. Aside from two trips to Scotland, I'm not very well-traveled.

Have fun and travel safely tomorrow. Denver is supposed to be pretty nice, so I hope you get a chance to enjoy and look around a bit - if you're so inclined.
My travels are pretty limited. I did travel to San Diego, crossed into Mexico, and had stem cell treatment in Tijuana. That was 12 years ago and before much was known about stem cells other than they held great promise. It was cord blood stem cells not embryonic stem cells.

Anyway, that and a summer Griswold family style, half cross-country trip to Minnesota to visit a school chum, are the extent of my travels West.

My other travel was related to hiking to hundreds of waterfalls from Oh and Pa south to Alabama and everything in between. I think it was 11 or 12 states, mostly in the SE, to see hundreds of waterfalls, mountains, rock formations, etc...

I have a former girlfriend that lives in Denver now and she's been after me to visit. Needless to say, if I ever made a trip out there, space cake would be the least of my problems.

Ok, I'm going to cheat by 4 1/2 hours tonight. We will be down to only 22 days shortly. Man, that's almost "just three weeks"!

I found out why Bleeding Navy has been absent. He's so excited about practice starting soon, he has been out in his yard head-butting an oak tree!o_O:confused::mad:

It will be mostly business, but the flight in and out should be neat. Thanks for the well wishes.

My "friends", are about evenly divided in their advice. Half say, don't eat the brownies, the other half says eat hearty! I think I'll restrict my diet to a good steak.
Being serious here. Don't touch the "legal" substances. This is way serious chronic that is 100 times stronger (or more) than anything we did in the 70's. Not one hit. Not one bite. You'll be burnt toast, laying on the floor and praying to God you don't die.

Live your own life but take my word on this one. Please.

Being serious here. Don't touch the "legal" substances. This is way serious chronic that is 100 times stronger (or more) than anything we did in the 70's. Not one hit. Not one bite. You'll be burnt toast, laying on the floor and praying to God you don't die.

Live your own life but take my word on this one. Please.

Thanks. I'm probably one of the very few that have never taken a drug (or smoke), of any kind that did not come in a prescription bottle with my name on it. Never have, never will.

Thanks. I'm probably one of the very few that have never taken a drug (or smoke), of any kind that did not come in a prescription bottle with my name on it. Never have, never will.
Wow. Never partied. Hardly traveled. We are the same age and total opposite ends on the spectrum in that way.

But similarities. Kids and Family are the most important. Been a Journeyman Electrician with the IBEW since 86 but I changed to computers in 92'. Both own their owned companies (sold mine). Both love Sports.

But we remain way opposite. That's unfortunate.

Wow. Never partied. Hardly traveled. We are the same age and total opposite ends on the spectrum in that way.

But similarities. Kids and Family are the most important. Been a Journeyman Electrician with the IBEW since 86 but I changed to computers in 92'. Both own their owned companies (sold mine). Both love Sports.

Unfortunate? Shanti, I will say this a nicely as I can. The people in Dinwiddie would not tolerate your higher the thou attitude and would "run you out on a rail". You obviously have some sound knowledge, but your delivery? How should I say it? Sucks! DP was raised to be a respectful gentleman and thats the way he lives his life. I would not expect a man from Queens to understand this approach.

DP, you are not alone in the drug department. Never had an interest in it. Can't say I don't enjoy a nice bourban and coke though.

My flight from France was delayed, so I will catch you when you get back from Denver. Enjoy and be safe.

There is no better man on this board than DinwiddieProud. He's a true Southern gentleman, respected and respectful. He'll take the shirt off his back for you. I think the unfortunate part is that there aren't more people in this world like him.

Oh, go ahead and eat the brownies. Just don't do any electrical work for a while afterwards! You don't have to maintain a security clearance, do ya? ;)

Having been born in California, but was too young to remember it, the furthest west I've been since then was a trip to Albuquerque, NM to see the hot air balloon festival in October about 20 years ago. It was amazingly breathtaking. The geology of that part of our great country is awe inspiring! Be careful drinking a beer or hard liquor, you're not used to the altitude there and the effects of alcohol are about double!

Reactions: mike salem
My travels are pretty limited. I did travel to San Diego, crossed into Mexico, and had stem cell treatment in Tijuana. That was 12 years ago and before much was known about stem cells other than they held great promise. It was cord blood stem cells not embryonic stem cells.

Anyway, that and a summer Griswold family style, half cross-country trip to Minnesota to visit a school chum, are the extent of my travels West.

My other travel was related to hiking to hundreds of waterfalls from Oh and Pa south to Alabama and everything in between. I think it was 11 or 12 states, mostly in the SE, to see hundreds of waterfalls, mountains, rock formations, etc...

I have a former girlfriend that lives in Denver now and she's been after me to visit. Needless to say, if I ever made a trip out there, space cake would be the least of my problems.

The hike from Ohio to Alabama sounds pretty darn cool. What occasioned that little trek?

The hike from Ohio to Alabama sounds pretty darn cool. What occasioned that little trek?
It was done with many trips over the course of 2-3 years. I started hiking a lot about a year after my diagnosis and until the symptoms made it impossible to walk more than a few feet because of terrible foot drop. I did hike 15 miles one day starting in NC & ending up in SC, but that's the extent of my walking through more than 1 state in a day. (Unless you include driving in the mix where I hiked in TN, AL, and GA in one day or GA, SC, and NC the next. I also hiked in WV, OH, PA, and MD in one day)

Last edited:
I'm sprawled out across a bed in Denver tonight, but not because of brownies. However, I will admit to a cold beer and one terrific Ruben sandwich,

PS, the Rockies are truly beautiful.

And Wikki, you can appreciate this, I miss my cats and my worthless dog.

I'm sprawled out across a bed in Denver tonight, but not because of brownies. However, I will admit to a cold beer and one terrific Ruben sandwich,

PS, the Rockies are truly beautiful.

And Wikki, you can appreciate this, I miss my cats and my worthless dog.
Hey DP did you say worthless dog or "dawg"? When i first saw it I thought you were talking about me.

Flag is finished. The Generals will be honoring the Marine 2nd Battalion 3rd Divsion this fall. You can see it on Coach Mills twitter account. Sorry I dont know how to copy and past the darn thing.

Last edited:
Crawled in the house after 11:00 last night. I was a zombie. I sure was glad to be home. But, I think I'm headed back at least twice more in the coming weeks. For any of you guys that travel for a living, my hat's off to you.

Every year, Coach Mills selects a military unit to honor for the season. The unit that Beeding Navy mentioned above is the unit Marine Cpl. Mathew Bradford was a member of. Matt graduated from Dinwiddie a few years back. Matt fell victim to an IED over in the sand box. His injuries were extreme, including the loss of potions of both legs, and his sight.

If ever there was a soldier that you can hold up as an example, it is Matt. As part of his continuing recovery, Matt has accomplished things that most of us with our healthy bodies can't, or won't.

More on Matt later.

Reactions: mike salem
By my count, we are less than three weeks away from the start of practice? 20 days?

Contest Limits - 10 games
Minimum Practice Requirements

Season Information 2016 2017
First Practice July 28, 2016 July 27, 2017
First Contest Aug. 22-27, 2016 Aug. 21-26, 2017
District Deadline
Nov. 5, 2016 Nov. 4, 2017
Playoff Deadline - 1st round
Nov. 12, 2016 Nov. 11, 2017
Playoff Deadline - 2nd round
Nov. 19, 2016 Nov. 18, 2017
Playoff Deadline - 3rd round Nov. 26, 2016 Nov. 25, 2017
VHSL Semifinals Dec. 3, 2016 Dec. 2, 2017
VHSL Championships Dec. 10, 2016 Dec. 9, 2017

Reactions: shauntclair
Contest Limits - 10 games
Minimum Practice Requirements

Season Information 2016 2017
First Practice July 28, 2016 July 27, 2017
First Contest Aug. 22-27, 2016 Aug. 21-26, 2017
District Deadline
Nov. 5, 2016 Nov. 4, 2017
Playoff Deadline - 1st round
Nov. 12, 2016 Nov. 11, 2017
Playoff Deadline - 2nd round
Nov. 19, 2016 Nov. 18, 2017
Playoff Deadline - 3rd round Nov. 26, 2016 Nov. 25, 2017
VHSL Semifinals Dec. 3, 2016 Dec. 2, 2017
VHSL Championships Dec. 10, 2016 Dec. 9, 2017

Thank you sir. The countdown continues.

By this time in the morning, 10 days from now, the sweat will have saturated everything being worn. The breathing will be labored. The excitement and anticipation will have given way to, "man, this is hard work".

But the reality is, for most teams across the state, IT WILL HAVE BEGUN!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT