ADVERTISEMENT

How would you call this?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Late in the game, say 20 seconds left. Team A up by 2. Team B shoots and misses. Team A gets the rebound, makes a long pass to an open man. Team B grabs a team A player without the ball and holds him from running down court, and to draw a foul and stop the clock.

Has to more to a play like this, or it would happen all the time to stop the clock.

Intentional foul on B player, two shots for Team A player that was held (fouled), possession of ball again by team A after free throws.
And/or: It's possible, depending on the timing of the play, the official let's the long pass and layup occur and does not even recognize (he sees it but withholds his whistle) the intentional holding. If there is less time than your OP, such that the clock may run out not long after the making of the layup by Team A, and if the intentional foul was not too egregious, one might be inclined to ignore it.

Originally posted by DinwiddieProud:
Late in the game, say 20 seconds left. Team A up by 2. Team B shoots and misses. Team A gets the rebound, makes a long pass to an open man. Team B grabs a team A player without the ball and holds him from running down court, and to draw a foul and stop the clock.

Has to more to a play like this, or it would happen all the time to stop the clock.
I hold my whistle until A1 is in the act of shooting, then blow the foul.

Count the basket, award two FTs to A2 and the ball OOB at the spot nearest the foul.

That's what I meant by withholding whistle until basket is made...guess I didn't quite make that clear. Reminds me of the refs story where after a close no call on one end is about to lead to an easy fast break by one team, the opposing coach jumped up and began to "pull a Boehiem" in an attempt to get a T and stop the play. The ref running upcourt on the play and nearest to this coach says to him: "Hold that thought coach, I'll get back with you" He lets play continue with the layup and sure enough returns to the coach and gives him what he wanted
laugh.r191677.gif

Gymrat, that's one of those, "be careful what you ask for, you might get it"!

A foul is illegal contact that places an opponent at a disadvantage.

A defender grabbing an opponent 50 feet from the player with the ball who is about to score hasn't placed anybody at a disadvantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT