ADVERTISEMENT

HSHS at Manchester

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Well, I know both have significant opponents to get past this Friday, but it's a safe bet that this game two weeks away will be the marquee event in the state on Oct 11.

Who are picking? And why?

Reactions: springer76
I will pick HSHS! Because we ARE who we ARE:)o_O
All kidding aside, because... as good as Manchester was last year, they lost a ton of who they were. They have filled the vacated holes nicely and they are good! HS on the other hand...
The bulk and strength of last years team, for the most part, are still there. More experienced than ever! The few holes that were filled on both starting offense and starting defense were more than adequately filled!
The speed, strength, experience and chemistry will prevail! HSHS is a different beast and they have separated themselves from the rest!

Kind of my feelings. And this is not the type of game that HS would take lightly or have a letdown.
So, HS by 40.

Reactions: Thomasddev
Kind of my feelings. And this is not the type of game that HS would take lightly or have a letdown.
So, HS by 40.
I would approach this game the same way they did with Oscar Smith! We may be playing starters for 4 qtrs too! Honestly, HS is not taking any one lightly! They will prepare for Henrico before any thoughts of Manchester.
Respect everyone, fear none!

HSHS D line is NO JOKE! Saw them on film! Wow! They are really go everywhere but that D line looks like something from SEC at the high schools level. Big, Strong and athletic. Very quick kids that throw people around, get off blocks and are just a disruption. They are very talented everywhere but that Dline really jumped out. I find it hard to believe anyone will be able to handle them this year.

HSHS D line is NO JOKE! Saw them on film! Wow! They are really go everywhere but that D line looks like something from SEC at the high schools level. Big, Strong and athletic. Very quick kids that throw people around, get off blocks and are just a disruption. They are very talented everywhere but that Dline really jumped out. I find it hard to believe anyone will be able to handle them this year.
I completely agree with you and I’m not the only one. The Thomas Dale Head coach was quoted after the scrimmage saying “if you think you’re going to block their defensive line front 4 with your five offensive lineman...you’re out of your mind”. It’s hard to believe that a high school defensive line could play the run as well as they rush the passer.

I truly don’t know how you attack that Springers defense consistently! They are sooo fast and sooo deep! They’ve faced good running QBs and shut them ALL down. They’ve faced good passers and locked them down. They’ve faced GREAT RBs that have been smothered by that front 6. They’ve destroyed bigger OLines all year. Pick your poison with the offense,with that OLine,that has been together for 2-1/2 years now. A team better be able to defend the run AND have 4 GOOD DBs to defend the pass.

Just don’t know how you beat them for 4 quarters! I’ll take HSHS to continue THEIR winning streak!

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I have to agree. Manchester has some nice talent, but are not the complete package it takes to beat Highland Springs.

Anything can happen, but I haven't seen anyone this year who can even challenge them the entire game. Keep it rolling Springers.

I have to agree. Manchester has some nice talent, but are not the complete package it takes to beat Highland Springs.

Anything can happen, but I haven't seen anyone this year who can even challenge them the entire game. Keep it rolling Springers.

I agree that the springers will win but Manchester has some good talent also. Romell Garcia is the real deal and they have 4-5 playmakers to go with it. Manchester is big upfront. I am hoping Manchester can keep it close. Looking forward to HSHS vs Varina after seeing what Varina did to LT

Last edited:
I agree that the springers will win but Manchester has some good talent also. Romell Garcia is the real deal and they have 4-5 playmakers to go with it. Manchester is big upfront. SmI am hoping Manchester can keep it close. Looking forward to HSHS vs Varina not after seeing what Varina did to LT
I just read this 5A board and smh.. I saw Varina again last night. Varina made Lake Taylor look like George Wythe. Newton was limited to 1 big run all night and I don’t even think he had a carry over 6 yards before that. If Varina can play any kind of disciplined game against HS it’s gonna get real interesting. Manchester/HS gonna be real good Friday.

I just read this 5A board and smh.. I saw Varina again last night. Varina made Lake Taylor look like George Wythe. Newton was limited to 1 big run all night and I don’t even think he had a carry over 6 yards before that. If Varina can play any kind of disciplined game against HS it’s gonna get real interesting. Manchester/HS gonna be real good Friday.
HSHS has been hearing this for the last 3 years. HSHS has beaten Varina by 3 TDs in all 3 of those seasons! This is UNDOUBTEDLY the best team HSHS has ever had! HSHS is not Lake Taylor....far from it! Varina and Manchester are both a DISTANT SECOND to Highland Springs!! Neither of them has seen anything remotely close to the Springers!

HSHS has been hearing this for the last 3 years. HSHS has beaten Varina by 3 TDs in all 3 of those seasons! This is UNDOUBTEDLY the best team HSHS has ever had! HSHS is not Lake Taylor....far from it! Varina and Manchester are both a DISTANT SECOND to Highland Springs!! Neither of them has seen anything remotely close to the Springers!
That’s why the games are played man.

UOTE="HooSprings, post: 359679, member: 16982"]HSHS has been hearing this for the last 3 years. HSHS has beaten Varina by 3 TDs in all 3 of those seasons! This is UNDOUBTEDLY the best team HSHS has ever had! HSHS is not Lake Taylor....far from it! Varina and Manchester are both a DISTANT SECOND to Highland Springs!! Neither of them has seen anything remotely close to the Springers![/QUOTE]

WOW

Clark threw a TD pass versus New Mexico a few weeks ago and rushed for 24 yards on 4 carries. He looked good when he was in. Currently the number 3 QB behind Book and Jurkovec.
Could he still red shirt at this point, and save a year of eligibility? I'm not knowlegable on the red shirting rules.

I want to get past Manchester FIRST, then be concerned about Atlee, Then COLONIAL FORGE. This is a top tier quality team not to be taken lightly! Then Varina.. I think this year's Varina team is the best Varina has had in a long time too! I am not taking any of them lightly or calling HSHS the best ever until it is all said and done!!! We have to win the 5th State Title, IMO, to be called the best ever... It is still to be decided!!! As of now, we still have work to do and improve!

I believe that HSHS has a better D-line and maybe O-line than Varina but I am not so sure on the skill players. Varina has some ballers.

Can Romell Garcia be Hercules... biggest football test of his life this Friday. Very interested to see what happens.

Could he still red shirt at this point, and save a year of eligibility? I'm not knowlegable on the red shirting rules.

Actually, yes. He can redshirt IF he plays in ONLY 4 games this season. This rule went in last season. I don't think Brian Kelly will risk the redshirt by playing Clark more than two more times.
As an Irish fan, I really don't want Clark to play a lot more this season because that would mean Book has gotten hurt and Jurkovec was forced to start.

I believe that HSHS has a better D-line and maybe O-line than Varina but I am not so sure on the skill players. Varina has some ballers.

Can Romell Garcia be Hercules... biggest football test of his life this Friday. Very interested to see what happens.
I usually don’t disagree with you,but this time....mmmmm....I got to!

I usually don’t put much stock in these 7 on 7 tournaments,but in the last one of the summer,HSHS’s JV beat Varina’s Varsity to win the tournament! What I will base things on is the number of players with D1 offers. Now,most can argue,that don’t mean much,but somebody thinks the HSHS skill players are FAR BETTER! I don’t think Varina has ANY players but 1(he’s goin for DLine)with power 5 offers(I may be wrong). I KNOW HSHS has at least 5,including their QB and both Safeties. Now....maybe I’m wrong...but based off those numbers...it’s hard to argue. How many teams out there have a D1 DB that has to come off the bench,because the other 4 are so good?

I know you know all this,and I hate to keep reminding people,but I’m quite sure neither Manchester or Varina has seen anything close to a comparison to HSHS all year. Any offense can look good vs Hanover. I’ve seen the LT defense too! I see why Maury crushed them too! LT ain’t HSHS!!

I’m not being argumentative! Just giving facts. Feel free to respond.

Hey bro don’t be disrespecting Lorenz Terry (UVA commit) and Alonzo Ford (5 power 5 offers) like that :mad: LOL!! You know I’m joking with you, but all play aside, Varina isn’t too bad up front either! I’d say that Isaiah Page and James Reid is just as fast as any player on HS’s roster. I’m telling people now, Bobby Dunn has added a whole new dynamic to the Varina offense. Kid can run, he can throw and the receiving core of Barry Hill, Page, and Q Baylor isn’t bad at all. It’ll be a fun game. The rivalry hasn’t been close in some years but I’m thinking this year it’ll be good.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Hey bro don’t be disrespecting Lorenz Terry (UVA commit) and Alonzo Ford (5 power 5 offers) like that :mad: LOL!! You know I’m joking with you, but all play aside, Varina isn’t too bad up front either! I’d say that Isaiah Page and James Reid is just as fast as any player on HS’s roster. I’m telling people now, Bobby Dunn has added a whole new dynamic to the Varina offense. Kid can run, he can throw and the receiving core of Barry Hill, Page, and Q Baylor isn’t bad at all. It’ll be a fun game. The rivalry hasn’t been close in some years but I’m thinking this year it’ll be good.
I think what he means is...that OLine & DLine are starting together for the 3rd year in a row,and all 9 have college offers. The Varina receiving Corp will face 4 D1 DBs! Bobby is good,but he hasn’t seen a D like this one! Gonna be fun!

I doubt seriously Varina has seen a better QB than Jones this year. Manchester is up first though!

I WAS NOT SO SURPRISED VARINA HAS BEEN SCORING POINTS LIKE THAT ON ALL THEIR OPPONENTS THIS YEAR.

Manchester they lost to.
Matoaca, Hermitage, Hanover and LT are their 4 victories. Other than Manchester, they haven't played anybody!
Hey boss, sorry to break it to you but outside of Oscar Smith, Highland Springs hasn’t played anyone either. I admire HS putting Page, North Stafford and Avalon on their schedule but all 3 teams have underperformed big time this year. I do know that Avalon is a young team and has played the best of the best. They still haven’t shown if they’re good yet (blowout losses to DeMatha and Gonzaga). But to your original point, Varina has yet to beat anyone good either.

I agree with you Varina’ stop 2 on O-line and D-line are right there with springs top 2 on each. Maybe better, that is a coin flip. But I do give springs the advantage with the other 2-3 players on the line.

but YOU know what this boils down too. We know HSHS will line up and play a relatively mistake free football game. Will Varina line up and not self destruct?

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I usually don’t disagree with you,but this time....mmmmm....I got to!

I usually don’t put much stock in these 7 on 7 tournaments,but in the last one of the summer,HSHS’s JV beat Varina’s Varsity to win the tournament! What I will base things on is the number of players with D1 offers. Now,most can argue,that don’t mean much,but somebody thinks the HSHS skill players are FAR BETTER! I don’t think Varina has ANY players but 1(he’s goin for DLine)with power 5 offers(I may be wrong). I KNOW HSHS has at least 5,including their QB and both Safeties. Now....maybe I’m wrong...but based off those numbers...it’s hard to argue. How many teams out there have a D1 DB that has to come off the bench,because the other 4 are so good?

I know you know all this,and I hate to keep reminding people,but I’m quite sure neither Manchester or Varina has seen anything close to a comparison to HSHS all year. Any offense can look good vs Hanover. I’ve seen the LT defense too! I see why Maury crushed them too! LT ain’t HSHS!!

I’m not being argumentative! Just giving facts. Feel free to respond.

well your not wrong about anything you said... However, I’ll give you the flip side.

There are a few players on Varina particularly in skill positions that are very very good just a little light in the ass. Even still I’d be stunned if they didn’t end up with any offers by seasons end. Agree the HSHS DB’s are better college prospects and I do give the springers the edge regarding DB’s. But Varina’s collective group of skill players is as close as you will get to competing with Springs. The question is who has the edge at the TB position? That is where I wonder. Could Varina have the edge there? @HooSprings come on now... Varina has ballers they have the potential to be dangerous. Give me that much

For the Manchester game it is simple. If you shut down Romell Garcia then you walk away with the victory. He needs to be Superman for Manchester to win. They are big in the trenches and have a physical line. No power 5 guys like last year, but a few that will play college ball.

I think it would be good for springs to get in a dog fight or two the second half of the season.

This is the biggest Friday night in the 804 this year thus far. Tons of big games with major playoff implications.

Hey boss, sorry to break it to you but outside of Oscar Smith, Highland Springs hasn’t played anyone either. I admire HS putting Page, North Stafford and Avalon on their schedule but all 3 teams have underperformed big time this year. I do know that Avalon is a young team and has played the best of the best. They still haven’t shown if they’re good yet (blowout losses to DeMatha and Gonzaga). But to your original point, Varina has yet to beat anyone good either.
Uh, I know that, nothing HS can do about that now except keep winning games!.. and by the way, we didn't lose to Oscar Smith! ... and we still have 3 State title contenders on schedule... Manchester, Colonial Forge and Varina! I do consider Varina a contender! And by the way, I did not say Varina wasn't good! In a previous thread, I stated that this is Varina's best team in a long time. It was about scoring lots of points on weak teams. I thought LT would be a game, with their reputation and track record, I thought they'd be much better. I'm sure that Varina scheduled them to get a challenge, just like HS scheduling N Stafford, Page and Avalon!
Don't get it twisted!

I just want to post a positive note for those kids that might be reading our adult discussions about our game predictions and who's better, etc.

1. D1 offers means nothing vs a team which is well coached and their opponent plays with passion and high effort. Smith has only a couple of Seniors with any kind offer. They are mostly a team of underclassmen that have bought into their new coaching staff's philosophy and concepts. Our QB is a Sophomore with his 1st game with this team when they played the Springers! Our top WR is 5'6", 165 lbs but a senior leader that keeps a positive attitude throughout the game.

2. We did not execute on a high level and still had the ball near midfield in the closing minutes with a chance to tie or win that game. Our Kicking game was horrible with most punts netting less than 20 yards!!! Highland Springs played most of that game inside Smith's 45 yard line!

3. With nearly 150 yards in drive killing penalties, the Tigers were still able to keep this game a nail biting close one! Talking about a lesson in overcoming adversity?

This is NO knock against the Springers. They won that game because they were able to take advantage of their opportunities. Smith did not. Love your team, your coaches and your fans and who knows what can happen?!!!

Reputation of the Springers had most fans expecting a blowout vs a Smith team that had one of their worst seasons in 2018. No moral victories in football but most thought 13-6 would have been worse. SO, there IS hope. Just believe in yourselves and keep fighting throughout the game!

Avalon would beat alot of the public schools around here Varina included. They were talented the week after HS beat them they turned around and blew Benedictine out. And north Stafford was not a bad team either HS is just that good.

I just want to post a positive note for those kids that might be reading our adult discussions about our game predictions and who's better, etc.

1. D1 offers means nothing vs a team which is well coached and their opponent plays with passion and high effort. Smith has only a couple of Seniors with any kind offer. They are mostly a team of underclassmen that have bought into their new coaching staff's philosophy and concepts. Our QB is a Sophomore with his 1st game with this team when they played the Springers! Our top WR is 5'6", 165 lbs but a senior leader that keeps a positive attitude throughout the game.

2. We did not execute on a high level and still had the ball near midfield in the closing minutes with a chance to tie or win that game. Our Kicking game was horrible with most punts netting less than 20 yards!!! Highland Springs played most of that game inside Smith's 45 yard line!

3. With nearly 150 yards in drive killing penalties, the Tigers were still able to keep this game a nail biting close one! Talking about a lesson in overcoming adversity?

This is NO knock against the Springers. They won that game because they were able to take advantage of their opportunities. Smith did not. Love your team, your coaches and your fans and who knows what can happen?!!!

Reputation of the Springers had most fans expecting a blowout vs a Smith team that had one of their worst seasons in 2018. No moral victories in football but most thought 13-6 would have been worse. SO, there IS hope. Just believe in yourselves and keep fighting throughout the game!
Well said, and absolutely right! That game, with all of Oscar Smith's penalties and stuff, HS could have played much better too! In hindsight, it was a great way to start the season with clearly 2 of the very best teams in the state going head to head! Smith and HS are improving every week, as is everybody! HS still has a gauntlet of a schedule left to play with 3 excellent teams, I just hope everybody stays healthy and does well!

Reactions: Thomasddev
By the end of the season Manchester and Varina toughest opponent will be HSHS and the game they played against each other but other than that the rest of their schedule is fluff. By the end of HS season you could argue they played 3 teams better than Varina and Manchester in Oscar Smith, Colonial Forge, and Avalon.

I agree with you Varina’ stop 2 on O-line and D-line are right there with springs top 2 on each. Maybe better, that is a coin flip. But I do give springs the advantage with the other 2-3 players on the line.

but YOU know what this boils down too. We know HSHS will line up and play a relatively mistake free football game. Will Varina line up and not self destruct?

Do not discount the power of coaching that is HSHS greatest strength and advantage over other 804 teams. Johnson and crew make adjustments like none other.

Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT