ADVERTISEMENT

Hurdling?

gymrat10

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 21, 2004
Is there a rule against hurdling an opponent in hs football? Is it different in college or pros? Case would be a runner approaching a defender who is trying to tackle him low. Another would be a defender jumping over lineman at the line of scrimmage in order to block a kick or otherwise get into backfield quickly? Saw this called, but then have seen some college highlights where it's not.

We'll let the refs have the final say, but I think its illegal in HS ball unless someone is on the ground. I too saw a few examples Saturday and I thinks its OK in college and pro.

OK in NCAA and NFL. A personal foul in high school.

A player cannot leap over an opponent who is only in contact with the ground on his feet. To hurdle means he is leading with his feet or knees.

Let's say a receiver catches a 10 yd curl, turns to face the defense and seeing a defender headed at his legs, reacts with jumping up and tackler slides under while receiver takes off. You're saying this athletic move would be illegal?

It actually has to be a hurdling move (like in track and field) where the runner has a foot leading the leap. Just jumping up to let someone slide under you is not a hurdle. Also as White Hat mentioned, it only can be hurdling if the defender is still on just his two feet. Having a hand or knee on the ground eliminates a potential hurdling call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT