ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll probably never root for that school

Trevor_Cash

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 30, 2006
but dang if i won’t always respect that school

It’s truly amazing the sustainable success they have at Riverheads. 5th State Title since 2000. Back to back titles. 3rd visit in a row, and they return most everyone for next year.

Coach Casto and his staff always have this team humming. They continue to be the benchmark that the rest of us in the district aim for.

Congratulations to all the players, coaches, and the community in Greenville.

Last edited:
The coaching shows each and every play with their field position on defense. Almost always, every player is in perfect position and never over pursues and never under pursues. Offensively, the blocking schemes are absolutely textbook in technique and the attention to detail is there on the importance of not turning the ball over with the heavy running game. Riverheads is a well, very well, very well coached machine. Essex is more talented and athletic than Riverheads, and Riverheads flat out-out smarted them and out-coached them. If you place Casto at Essex and let him coach there, he beats Riverheads by 2 TD's. Casto is the kind of coach as the ole saying goes, "he can take his and beat you, and he can take yours and beat his."

They never won the state title in 2A but i believe every year they lost to a team that went to Salem

The coaching shows each and every play with their field position on defense. Almost always, every player is in perfect position and never over pursues and never under pursues. Offensively, the blocking schemes are absolutely textbook in technique and the attention to detail is there on the importance of not turning the ball over with the heavy running game. Riverheads is a well, very well, very well coached machine. Essex is more talented and athletic than Riverheads, and Riverheads flat out-out smarted them and out-coached them. If you place Casto at Essex and let him coach there, he beats Riverheads by 2 TD's. Casto is the kind of coach as the ole saying goes, "he can take his and beat you, and he can take yours and beat his."

Not as easy to just say he is at Essex he beats Riverheads by 2 TD's. I see Riverheads at least a couple times a season, and know quite a few of the coaches. I may not like them, mostly just some of the fans, but they are successful because of the system and buying in. Riverheads is successful in large part because of line, not the skill positions. Guess what Casto coaches. It's not as easy as just going to any school and having them buy in. It's also not nearly as easy as some think to use the schemes they use everywhere.

They never won the state title in 2A but i believe every year they lost to a team that went to Salem
I think 2 of the 4 went on to Salem; Giles and Gretna. Wilson and King William didnt go to Salem the years they knocked RHS out iirc.

Last edited:
I believe Wilson did. Think that was year they lost to Glenvar, but could be wrong
Wilson lost to Goochland in the semis the year they knocked RHS out of the playoffs (2012 season).

In 2014, when Wilson went to Salem, Riverheads beat them in the regular season but they didn't meet in the playoffs that year.

Not as easy to just say he is at Essex he beats Riverheads by 2 TD's. I see Riverheads at least a couple times a season, and know quite a few of the coaches. I may not like them, mostly just some of the fans, but they are successful because of the system and buying in. Riverheads is successful in large part because of line, not the skill positions. Guess what Casto coaches. It's not as easy as just going to any school and having them buy in. It's also not nearly as easy as some think to use the schemes they use everywhere.

Well said Gunz.

Casto and his staff do an outstanding job year in and year out. Casto wins with a system not necessarily particular talent or skill players.

Much respect as I've stated a few times over the years.

That is why months ago at the beginning of the season when Riverheads fans were bemoaning that they lost such and such talent, I said it doesn't matter, the Riverheads machine will destroy most competition regardless of who graduates.

Only Essex (and maybe Sussex this season) had a shot to stop them in 1A.

His system works perfectly at a place like Riverheads (nothing but respect, great work).

However, Casto's system would probably not work everywhere, as many kids (and many parents as well) in today's time would not buy into it.

2011 (12-1)
2012 (10-2)
2013 (12-2)
2014 (11-1)

45-6 (seems like something was working while in 2A)
Riverheads was competitive while in 2A, and is routinely in the top 1-2 in the district/staunton/augusta/waynesboro area regardless of their classification, but I think what he was implying was that it wasnt the same type of success they have had in 1A. No state titles or trips to Salem while in 2A.

That is why months ago at the beginning of the season when Riverheads fans were bemoaning that they lost such and such talent, I said it doesn't matter, the Riverheads machine will destroy most competition regardless of who graduates.

Only Essex (and maybe Sussex this season) had a shot to stop them in 1A.

His system works perfectly at a place like Riverheads (nothing but respect, great work).

However, Casto's system would probably not work everywhere, as many kids (and many parents as well) in today's time would not buy into it.
Early in the year we were not very good I myself would not have thought we would get one for the thumb this year but this team got better every week I think we had 3 or 4 seniors starting on this team this year so we we got a lot returning next year . This probably one of Coach Castos best coaching jobs and he’s had some very good ones

I am still trying to figure out what some posters have such an issue with Riverheads for. They win, and while I am not a fan, they do it the correct way. It won't be long before we hear all the excuses why they won.

I'll go ahead and make a prediction, in the next week we will see a certain number posted A LOT. And my other prediction is that the all so important polls (to a few people) will have Riverheads on top next year.

Reactions: Bama1985
I am still trying to figure out what some posters have such an issue with Riverheads for. They win, and while I am not a fan, they do it the correct way. It won't be long before we hear all the excuses why they won.

I'll go ahead and make a prediction, in the next week we will see a certain number posted A LOT. And my other prediction is that the all so important polls (to a few people) will have Riverheads on top next year.
The bolded text in your post I have quoted referencing a certain number (enrollment) is why some have a problem with them. Some think they are technically a 2A team that gets the opportunity to play in the 1A playoffs, because the ADM they report to the VHSL is 1 student under the cutoff every year.

The fact of the matter is, they have a great staff (HC and DC in particular), good community support, kids that buy in, and the RHS teams are successful with all types of different kids year in and year out. If they end up 2A again, they'll still be competitive and one of the top teams in our area and district each year, and thought of as a team that could go on a long playoff run. If they remain in 1A, they are a lock in the region B championship game each year and are also a favorite to win the big trophy in Salem each year.

The bolded text in your post I have quoted referencing a certain number (enrollment) is why some have a problem with them. Some think they are technically a 2A team that gets the opportunity to play in the 1A playoffs, because the ADM they report to the VHSL is 1 student under the cutoff every year.

The fact of the matter is, they have a great staff (HC and DC in particular), good community support, kids that buy in, and the RHS teams are successful with all types of different kids year in and year out. If they end up 2A again, they'll still be competitive and one of the top teams in our area and district each year, and thought of as a team that could go on a long playoff run. If they remain in 1A, they are a lock in the region B championship game each year and are also a favorite to win the big trophy in Salem each year.

That is certainly some of the issue but not all. There is a certain poster I dont care for, but when we hear cheat, not fair, VHSL fault, etc over and over it gets old. I dont know the numbers, but with the talk over and over, I'm sure someone has complained and it being looked into.

Take Appomattox out of it last 3 years, they would have competed. I think last year's Riverheads would have won this year in 2a.

But just for record, that Riverheads team last year did lose 1 game :).

That is certainly some of the issue but not all. There is a certain poster I dont care for, but when we hear cheat, not fair, VHSL fault, etc over and over it gets old. I dont know the numbers, but with the talk over and over, I'm sure someone has complained and it being looked into.

Take Appomattox out of it last 3 years, they would have competed. I think last year's Riverheads would have won this year in 2a.

But just for record, that Riverheads team last year did lose 1 game :).
That game was the Stuarts Draft Super Bowl right? Haha just kidding. All seriousness though, I hope Draft gets back to the level they were at last year soon. That defense was special.

That game was the Stuarts Draft Super Bowl right? Haha just kidding. All seriousness though, I hope Draft gets back to the level they were at last year soon. That defense was special.

I hope so too. Yep the Super Bowl. I guess now after the playoffs that this year 2 teams won the Super Bowl, Robert E Lee and Central Woodstock

Reactions: Keith_Stone33

If I'm the poster you are referring I only asked why no 2a titles that's all I ask , nothing vague or disrespectful about asking that, that question will not go away.

Riverheads was competitive while in 2A, and is routinely in the top 1-2 in the district/staunton/augusta/waynesboro area regardless of their classification, but I think what he was implying was that it wasnt the same type of success they have had in 1A. No state titles or trips to Salem while in 2A.
Thanks for clearing that up that's all I'm saying. People get offended very quick when that question is brought up lol!

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Last year I defended Riverheads, this year I cannot.

The fact is whether you believe they actually do have the magic number of 474 students every year or not, they are close enough and good enough to play in 2A.
This actually was a down year for Riverheads from the teams I have seen in the past. And they win 42-0?????? There were two 0-10 teams in their region that made the playoffs this year??? Seeing the program first hand year in and year out, I think it's a joke they continue to stay in 1A. For the 4th time in their 5 state championship seasons, Riverheads hangs a banner in their gym as State Champs while not even being the best team in their district. Wilson, Draft twice and Lee have beaten them during the regular season in those years. I feel now now as I did for years when they dodged Lee when Lee was loaded and would never put them on their schedule. Prove to the whole state not just those of us that know you how good your program is. I wonder how many titles from years past the rest of the Shenandoah teams would have if they were able to follow the same formula. I know Draft from last year would have one, Lee this year would have one, and I am sure Wilson would have one as well. I will admit, Riverheads is the only team that is consistently good every year, which I give much respect to but it is now a joke at what you continue to do by playing down. If Riverheads would play in 2A, which they should be made to, they would still enjoy regular season success, win District titles but would be forced to beat more than 1 or maybe 2 good teams to win a state title. Enjoy your ring, I guess you earned it.

People don't want the truth up here lol, great post it's a mockery for sure , I hope they win 8 in row lol. Great post

The fact is whether you believe they actually do have the magic number of 474 students every year or not, they are close enough and good enough to play in 2A.
This actually was a down year for Riverheads from the teams I have seen in the past. And they win 42-0?????? There were two 0-10 teams in their region that made the playoffs this year??? Seeing the program first hand year in and year out, I think it's a joke they continue to stay in 1A. For the 4th time in their 5 state championship seasons, Riverheads hangs a banner in their gym as State Champs while not even being the best team in their district. Wilson, Draft twice and Lee have beaten them during the regular season in those years. I feel now now as I did for years when they dodged Lee when Lee was loaded and would never put them on their schedule. Prove to the whole state not just those of us that know you how good your program is. I wonder how many titles from years past the rest of the Shenandoah teams would have if they were able to follow the same formula. I know Draft from last year would have one, Lee this year would have one, and I am sure Wilson would have one as well. I will admit, Riverheads is the only team that is consistently good every year, which I give much respect to but it is now a joke at what you continue to do by playing down. If Riverheads would play in 2A, which they should be made to, they would still enjoy regular season success, win District titles but would be forced to beat more than 1 or maybe 2 good teams to win a state title. Enjoy your ring, I guess you earned it.
The Shenandoah District is one of the toughest districts in the state. RH plays a tough district schedule ( all 2A teams except one)that prepares them for playoffs. Riverheads has 474 students, Lee 741, Wilson 733, Draft 707. RH vs Lee 2-1 series record, RH vs Wilson 16-4, RH vs Draft 14-7. RH always had fewer students so is it really about the numbers. Maybe it's about the coaches, players, systems, etc. Give RH 700 students total put them in 2A and they would dominate there too. Take 300 kids away from Lee. Wilson, and Draft, put them in 1A, I don't think they would dominate like RH has based on series records. Lee had a great year this year, last year Draft had one, Wilson had one several years ago. The consistent one is RH with years of great years. I'm sure the banner will look pretty nice next to last years and I'm sure the boys will enjoy the rings. Now on to next year with all those rising seniors.

The Shenandoah District is one of the toughest districts in the state. RH plays a tough district schedule ( all 2A teams except one)that prepares them for playoffs. Riverheads has 474 students, Lee 741, Wilson 733, Draft 707. RH vs Lee 2-1 series record, RH vs Wilson 16-4, RH vs Draft 14-7. RH always had fewer students so is it really about the numbers. Maybe it's about the coaches, players, systems, etc. Give RH 700 students total put them in 2A and they would dominate there too. Take 300 kids away from Lee. Wilson, and Draft, put them in 1A, I don't think they would dominate like RH has based on series records. Lee had a great year this year, last year Draft had one, Wilson had one several years ago. The consistent one is RH with years of great years. I'm sure the banner will look pretty nice next to last years and I'm sure the boys will enjoy the rings. Now on to next year with all those rising seniors.

The series records for Wilson and Draft are way more than what you posted

I dont know what the numbers are, dont care if they ever win a game again, but hearing the same things over and over gets old. My entire point was that with all the complaints, how come something hasn't happened?

And I don't know if you know this or not, but a team CAN'T play up anymore. That's why a team like Phoebus is in 3a, when they always was in 5a because of playing up because of location for schedule

@trutiger16 you could be 100% correct on all of your questions and accusations. But hearing the same thing over and over (And not just from you) is the reason I said something. I'll guarantee i dislike them more than you

Riverheads beat Wilson in regular when they went Salem so I guess that makes Riverheads the best team in district that year

I dont know what the numbers are, dont care if they ever win a game again, but hearing the same things over and over gets old. My entire point was that with all the complaints, how come something hasn't happened?

And I don't know if you know this or not, but a team CAN'T play up anymore. That's why a team like Phoebus is in 3a, when they always was in 5a because of playing up because of location for schedule

@trutiger16 you could be 100% correct on all of your questions and accusations. But hearing the same thing over and over (And not just from you) is the reason I said something. I'll guarantee i dislike them more than you
I had asked the question a few weeks back and never got an answer on teams choosing to play up. I thought I too had heard at some point that teams were no longer allowed to play up, but a couple examples made me question that. Maybe you can answer for me:

How are Thomas Jefferson (Richmond) & John Marshall in 3A even though they have 607 students (TJ) and 660 (JM)? The largest 2A school had a number of 787, while the smallest had a number of 490.

There are a handful of teams in 2A that have more students than some 3A teams, and it's like that with a few teams in 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A. I'm guessing it's due to the 5 percent variance factor, but the Thomas Jefferson / John Marshall example makes me wonder.

I had asked the question a few weeks back and never got an answer on teams choosing to play up. I thought I too had heard at some point that teams were no longer allowed to play up, but a couple examples made me question that. Maybe you can answer for me:

How are Thomas Jefferson (Richmond) & John Marshall in 3A even though they have 607 students (TJ) and 660 (JM)? The largest 2A school had a number of 787, while the smallest had a number of 490.

There are a handful of teams in 2A that have more students than some 3A teams, and it's like that with a few teams in 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A. I'm guessing it's due to the 5 percent variance factor, but the Thomas Jefferson / John Marshall example makes me wonder.

I dont know the answer. I think I remember something about rare circumstances with distance but I could be wrong?

It's not about Riverheads my beef for the million freaking time is Vhsl, it's others who keep putting Riverheads in this, I guess the guilty will speak. Heck I hope they win 8 in row to really make Vhsl look inept.

It's not about Riverheads my beef for the million freaking time is Vhsl, it's others who keep putting Riverheads in this, I guess the guilty will speak. Heck I hope they win 8 in row to really make Vhsl look inept.

You didn't answer the question though. And I said IF this is about Riverheads, didn't say you were referring to them.

So answer the question

This is not the VHSL message board.Just to help you out, the VHSL has a website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and even a staff directory listed for people you can talk to since your beef is with VHSL and not Riverheads. Oh wait, I have a phone number, (434) 977-8475 and an email for the executive director, bhaun@vhsl.org. Why don't you use those resources for your "beef" with the VHSL and not VirginiaPreps?

There are two flaws in this discussion....

1). RH would definitely be competitive in 2A, but I don't see them beating any of the State Champions over the last at least 5 years. This year's team isn't better than Appo or Union. The eyeball test tells me they would struggle with Graham and Giles. We saw what happened when they played Lee. Also, they aren't beating Appo any of the last 3 years, last year would have been ugly. They aren't beating Richlands last year either. What I think kills RH at the upper level is when they face a team with size AND athletes. Just my opinion though.

2). RH goes out and plays the game and wins. Stop the crying. They play who they are supposed to play and win. End of discussion.

Let's not forget.....RH is a VERY good 1A football team in Virginia....but let's not lose sight of what they are.....a VERY good 1A football team in Virginia. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is not the VHSL message board.Just to help you out, the VHSL has a website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and even a staff directory listed for people you can talk to since your beef is with VHSL and not Riverheads. Oh wait, I have a phone number, (434) 977-8475 and an email for the executive director, bhaun@vhsl.org. Why don't you use those resources for your "beef" with the VHSL and not VirginiaPreps?
Asterisk LOL!

It's funny how all these posters were not on here saying Riverheads was too big a school for 1A or Division 1 all those years they were being beat by William Campbell.

And HR..I wouldn't say 1A is weak, just watered down thanks to the VH$L. They watered down all the classifications going from three to six. I wish it would go back to A, AA and AAA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT