ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll probably never root for that school

I've put forth my thoughts on how the divisions should be divided. It doesnt matter, that will never happen.

The REAL question is this: What can the rest of 1A do to catch up with Riverheads? It can be done. As someone already referenced, William Campbell did it. Altavista in 2014 would have beaten them. Sussex and Franklin both could have beaten them a few times as well. But that was then and this is now, what do you folks think needs to happen at these other schools?

For Riverheads fans, what do you think the biggest factors are that made the Gladiators what they have become?

And by the way, congratulations on Numero Cinco.

The REAL question is this: What can the rest of 1A do to catch up with Riverheads? It can be done. As someone already referenced, William Campbell did it. Altavista in 2014 would have beaten them. Sussex and Franklin both could have beaten them a few times as well. But that was then and this is now, what do you folks think needs to happen at these other schools?

For Riverheads fans, what do you think the biggest factors are that made the Gladiators what they have become?

And by the way, congratulations on Numero Cinco.[/QUOTE]
Coaching

Last year I defended Riverheads, this year I cannot.

The fact is whether you believe they actually do have the magic number of 474 students every year or not, they are close enough and good enough to play in 2A.
This actually was a down year for Riverheads from the teams I have seen in the past. And they win 42-0?????? There were two 0-10 teams in their region that made the playoffs this year??? Seeing the program first hand year in and year out, I think it's a joke they continue to stay in 1A. For the 4th time in their 5 state championship seasons, Riverheads hangs a banner in their gym as State Champs while not even being the best team in their district. Wilson, Draft twice and Lee have beaten them during the regular season in those years. I feel now now as I did for years when they dodged Lee when Lee was loaded and would never put them on their schedule. Prove to the whole state not just those of us that know you how good your program is. I wonder how many titles from years past the rest of the Shenandoah teams would have if they were able to follow the same formula. I know Draft from last year would have one, Lee this year would have one, and I am sure Wilson would have one as well. I will admit, Riverheads is the only team that is consistently good every year, which I give much respect to but it is now a joke at what you continue to do by playing down. If Riverheads would play in 2A, which they should be made to, they would still enjoy regular season success, win District titles but would be forced to beat more than 1 or maybe 2 good teams to win a state title. Enjoy your ring, I guess you earned it.
Wilson Football , just how bad are they ? With the number of kids they have they should be 3A . You need to face it , your program stinks . You want to see a joke , just look at the Green team from Fishersville ! You are so jealous you can't sleep at night. Get ready to get another dose of smacked in the mouth next season . lmao !!!!!!! Go Big Red !!!!!!!!!

It's funny how all these posters were not on here saying Riverheads was too big a school for 1A or Division 1 all those years they were being beat by William Campbell.

And HR..I wouldn't say 1A is weak, just watered down thanks to the VH$L. They watered down all the classifications going from three to six. I wish it would go back to A, AA and AAA.
To be fair, those games with William Campbell were from 2001-2008, and probably half the folks on this thread were not members here during that time (just based on a quick glance). Speaking of William Campbell, for years they were competing in Division 3 with Division 1 enrollment, now THAT is a big difference in enrollment. They were facing schools that had 2 to almost 3 times the amount of students that they had.

Whenever the big schools win, folks are always going to think: "well they should have, they had more kids to choose from." Riverheads is not the only team to hear this, as I heard it this year in class 2 after Luray/Lee. If Riverheads was in 2A, and lost to one of the big schools in the postseason, we could possibly hear the same type of thing, which was a trend that was starting to develop slightly towards the end of the RHS 2A era, as a few folks on here started saying, well we're the second smallest team in 2A so, etc.

Of the 6 teams that sit at the top spot of the enrollment table in each classification (1A-6A) Riverheads probably catches more crap than any of them. The reason, in my opinion, is the fact that most people question the validity of them actually being under the 1A hard cutoff of 475. The reason it's questionable to some is due to them reporting 474 students to the VHSL for multiple years. The reason you don't hear the numbers debates as much in the other classifications IMO is because they do not have a hard cutoff number like 1A does.

I'm not saying the administration at RHS does or doesn't report false numbers to stay in 1A, but if they do it's sad to me. I love sports as much as the next guy/girl, but to sacrifice the integrity of my students for the sake of winning is not in my make up and I'd have a hard time believing that someone in a leadership role in a school would do such a thing. If the administration is in fact doing that, they need to look in the mirror and reevaluate their priorities as there is more to life than high school sports. Again, I'm not saying they are or aren't but I would absolutely question their character if they were knowingly sending false info for the purpose of athletics.

Last edited:
You Riverheads people are so funny. You win with the best of them but cannot handle losing or any negative. No sour grapes here. You play where your administration tells you and you are fixing the numbers to stay there. Everyone knows that. Riverheads is a great program. Those of us that see them every year know that. They could compete in the Valley because of coaching alone. But, and it's a big but, you cannot just tell every other 1A school that their opinion doesn't matter. They have a right to question why they are allowed in play in 1A. They definitely do not have 474 students but I would say they definitely are around 500. So it is what it is. My personal issues with them is of course I hope they lose every game they play and of course they won't. I would like to see them play where they are challenged, not where they may have to only face 1 team that can beat them. If they stay 1A, you have at least 3 more years of seeing them just walk through the playoffs. I mean this years team is 42-0 State Champion??? You should understand why the other 1A teams question whats going on.
I would love to see the VHSL move to 450 and see your reported 449 every year, that would make me laugh. As for us, we are scheduled to move to 3A in the near future because at Wilson, we actually understand math unlike you guys in Greenville.....

You Riverheads people are so funny. You win with the best of them but cannot handle losing or any negative. No sour grapes here. You play where your administration tells you and you are fixing the numbers to stay there. Everyone knows that. Riverheads is a great program. Those of us that see them every year know that. They could compete in the Valley because of coaching alone. But, and it's a big but, you cannot just tell every other 1A school that their opinion doesn't matter. They have a right to question why they are allowed in play in 1A. They definitely do not have 474 students but I would say they definitely are around 500. So it is what it is. My personal issues with them is of course I hope they lose every game they play and of course they won't. I would like to see them play where they are challenged, not where they may have to only face 1 team that can beat them. If they stay 1A, you have at least 3 more years of seeing them just walk through the playoffs. I mean this years team is 42-0 State Champion??? You should understand why the other 1A teams question whats going on.
I would love to see the VHSL move to 450 and see your reported 449 every year, that would make me laugh. As for us, we are scheduled to move to 3A in the near future because at Wilson, we actually understand math unlike you guys in Greenville.....
It's comical what's going on in 1a football, I really hope Riverheads win 8 more in 1a, Vhsl has allowed it. If you kiss there behinds you are ok but if you criticize there greatness look out lol!

Last edited:
Riverheads beat Wilson in regular when they went Salem so I guess that makes Riverheads the best team in district that year
You are correct. You kicked 3 field goals and beat us 16-14 at your place that year. The difference is you lost in the second round to a team who lost the next week. That team then was blown out by Glenvar, who we lost to in overtime in the championship game.
The path Wilson, Draft last year and Lee this year had to take was much different that the one you guys have to take to get your title. That's my point, you have proven for many years you can beat anyone of those teams any year. Why would you mess with numbers to stay in a division you don't belong? Oh never mind, I already know that answer.

Reactions: trutiger16
You are correct. You kicked 3 field goals and beat us 16-14 at your place that year. The difference is you lost in the second round to a team who lost the next week. That team then was blown out by Glenvar, who we lost to in overtime in the championship game.
The path Wilson, Draft last year and Lee this year had to take was much different that the one you guys have to take to get your title. That's my point, you have proven for many years you can beat anyone of those teams any year. Why would you mess with numbers to stay in a division you don't belong? Oh never mind, I already know that answer.
Lol!

Sour grapes , Lets tell it like it is . You must face the fact that your team is a joke !
Take a ride to Greenville , count the kids in the school and shut you mouth ! We will play wherever VHSL puts us and compete ! At Wilson you guys need to take the politics out of the program . Playing kids because they have a parent that stands out or gives $ or even helps coach the younger teams, any thing that makes kid get on the field other than his talent , just won't work ! As far as playing teams that can compete ? Look what your saying . Wilson to be 3A and lucky to win any games ! We or maybe I is the word , Enjoy watching the RED TEAM smack the green team in the mouth . Hope your team sucks again ! LMAO

Interesting fact from the Bristol Courier

Riverheads during the entire 2017 season -- Who knew in 2017 a team could win a state championship in a season in which it threw just 60 passes and punted just nine times?

My point was just because you beat somebody in regular season don’t make you the better team there is no doubt Wilson was better team that year and 2006 we were better than Wilson and 2010 we were better than Draft and last year I think Draft and Riverheads were pretty equal and would go 5 and 5 if they played 10 times

Last year I defended Riverheads, this year I cannot.

The fact is whether you believe they actually do have the magic number of 474 students every year or not, they are close enough and good enough to play in 2A.
This actually was a down year for Riverheads from the teams I have seen in the past. And they win 42-0?????? There were two 0-10 teams in their region that made the playoffs this year??? Seeing the program first hand year in and year out, I think it's a joke they continue to stay in 1A. For the 4th time in their 5 state championship seasons, Riverheads hangs a banner in their gym as State Champs while not even being the best team in their district. Wilson, Draft twice and Lee have beaten them during the regular season in those years. I feel now now as I did for years when they dodged Lee when Lee was loaded and would never put them on their schedule. Prove to the whole state not just those of us that know you how good your program is. I wonder how many titles from years past the rest of the Shenandoah teams would have if they were able to follow the same formula. I know Draft from last year would have one, Lee this year would have one, and I am sure Wilson would have one as well. I will admit, Riverheads is the only team that is consistently good every year, which I give much respect to but it is now a joke at what you continue to do by playing down. If Riverheads would play in 2A, which they should be made to, they would still enjoy regular season success, win District titles but would be forced to beat more than 1 or maybe 2 good teams to win a state title. Enjoy your ring, I guess you earned it.

I also have defended the Riverheads 474 machine several times over the years. I have no problems with a Top Dog, makes it a challenge.

However, at this point, why would Riverheads want to stay in 1A? It would almost be embarrassing to win another 1A state title next year. Riverheads will not even have a remote challenge in 1A until the state semis or maybe the title game.

Have some respect and go for a challenge. Riverheads does great in 2A already. Essex won 2A (D2) before with the lowest student enrollment in that division.

If Riverheads stays in 1A that is fine with me too. Heavy odds are Essex will play them for the title next year as well. I want to see if the Trojans will beat them this time...

I also have defended the Riverheads 474 machine several times over the years. I have no problems with a Top Dog, makes it a challenge.

However, at this point, why would Riverheads want to stay in 1A? It would almost be embarrassing to win another 1A state title next year. Riverheads will not even have a remote challenge in 1A until the state semis or maybe the title game.

Have some respect and go for a challenge. Riverheads does great in 2A already. Essex won 2A (D2) before with the lowest student enrollment in that division.

If Riverheads stays in 1A that is fine with me too. Heavy odds are Essex will play them for the title next year as well. I want to see if the Trojans will beat them this time...
My point exactly.

Like I have said before, if they are changing numbers then shame on them, and certainly with all the chatter there should be an investigation. But if 474 is correct, then they have to stay in 1a. Teams aren't allowed to play up anymore, just like Phoebus. I think there are rare circumstances with distance for a team, but winning too much probably wouldn't qualify.

But I agree with you.

And whether he wants to believe it or not, @trutiger16 I agree with his questioning if he really feels that way. It's the way that he goes about it that I have an issue with. I tend to think that a school wouldn't fudge numbers, but the exact same number year after year and 1 under the line certainly doesn't give it a good look, and creates this problem.

I think Riverheads could compete in 2a. Maybe not the success as in 1a, but could do just fine

If RH would have lost to William Campbell or Essex earlier in playoffs this whole conversation would not even be taking place. Look at all the teams that won for the 3rd year in a row this year, Class 2A, 4A, 5A, and 6A. I sure don't see this kind of complaining on those boards. Appomattox won for the 3rd year and plenty of schools have more students then them. To name a few, Draft, Wilson, Goochland, Central Woodstock, Lee, Clarke. It may be only a few students here or there but no one has beat them. So maybe it's not all about how many students you have but maybe how many athletes that you have along with the coaching, etc. If Windsor starts winning with 472 students will we complain about them too?

If RH would have lost to William Campbell or Essex earlier in playoffs this whole conversation would not even be taking place. Look at all the teams that won for the 3rd year in a row this year, Class 2A, 4A, 5A, and 6A. I sure don't see this kind of complaining on those boards. Appomattox won for the 3rd year and plenty of schools have more students then them. To name a few, Draft, Wilson, Goochland, Central Woodstock, Lee, Clarke. It may be only a few students here or there but no one has beat them. So maybe it's not all about how many students you have but maybe how many athletes that you have along with the coaching, etc. If Windsor starts winning with 472 students will we complain about them too?
I disagree with the part I bolded in your quote above, as this conversation has been going on since Riverheads was rumored to be dropping down to 1A years ago. It seems like it has been brought up every week since then.

A school with more students has an advantage over a school with fewer students, but it's not the ONLY advantage.

The reason you don't hear folks regularly complaining about enrollment across the other classifications (you do hear it occasionally in the others but not as frequently as here) is because you don't have a yearly state championship contender reporting their enrollment as 1 student below the hard cutoff for the classification each year. The reported enrollment could be correct for all we know, but the fact that it is routinely reported as 1 student under the limit, makes some folks question whether or not it's valid. The other classifications have their fill of accusations & complaints as well, particularly in regards to magnet schools, and recruiting, among other things.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilsonFootball
People always hate on the champs especially when they hammer people in the playoffs.

Gretna -- no one could stand them 10 years ago
AltaVista -- no one liked them 5 years ago.....
Sussex and Franklin -- 6-7 years ago

If winning was easy all the teams would do it.
Break out the haterade

Reactions: OHandEIGHTwhatNOW?
I disagree with the part I bolded in your quote above, as this conversation has been going on since Riverheads was rumored to be dropping down to 1A years ago. It seems like it has been brought up every week since then.

A school with more students has an advantage over a school with fewer students, but it's not the ONLY advantage.

The reason you don't hear folks regularly complaining about enrollment across the other classifications (you do hear it occasionally in the others but not as frequently as here) is because you don't have a yearly state championship contender reporting their enrollment as 1 student below the hard cutoff for the classification each year. The reported enrollment could be correct for all we know, but the fact that it is routinely reported as 1 student under the limit, makes some folks question whether or not it's valid. The other classifications have their fill of accusations & complaints as well, particularly in regards to magnet schools, and recruiting, among other things.
Not disagreeing with you on that but it would not be to this level had they been beat early. Look at T.C. Williams with 3500 students, about 700 more students than anybody else. They went 7-4 and lost to a 1600 student school and a 2000 student school. 3 losing seasons prior to this year. It's definitely not all about the numbers or T.C. Williams would have dominated.

Not disagreeing with you on that but it would not be to this level had they been beat early. Look at T.C. Williams with 3500 students, about 700 more students than anybody else. They went 7-4 and lost to a 1600 student school and a 2000 student school. 3 losing seasons prior to this year. It's definitely not all about the numbers or T.C. Williams would have dominated.
Part of it as thegoatfromjmu said comes with winning. When Galax won the title a few years back, someone said they had an unfair advantage as they were a city school or something and everything was closer for them to get to than the other county schools lol. I remember a debate when Lake Taylor was a spinning buzzsaw with folks claiming it was unfair because of how kids were able to somewhat decide where they wanted to go in their city after middle school. Things are apparently done differently in the tidewater area for the bigger schools from what I read on here years ago, as someone mentioned that there may be 4 schools in the city (equal distances from ones house) for a kid to go to and they can somewhat choose their school, and your neighbor may go to a school known for better academics/STEM option, while you may go to a school more known for athletics. Perhaps someone from that area can explain this a little better as I only remember enough to be dangerous when re-telling it.

I agree that enrollment is not the only advantage that a team can have over another. I also think there is a level with the bigger schools where enrollment starts to matter a little less. There have been years where I'd felt that some of the 4A schools could compete favorably in 5A and 6A, Salem and Lake Taylor are two teams that come to mind in recent memory.

I get where you're coming from with the enrollment being an annoying subject for you guys in Greenville, as your team worked hard all year to win a 1A title, and you feel like folks are trying to dim your success due to the enrollment issue. I also see where others are coming from with their raised eye-brows at the 474 number.

Reactions: DivePitchKeep

This doesn't help the argument for Riverheads, as Appomattox is smaller, so they aren't the biggest school like Riverheads. That is why people aren't complaining about them for that reason.

Sorry folks, but whether you agree or disagree with their enrollment, dominance, placement, whatever, the football team and KIDS have nothing to do with that.

Grunz, I have always respected your input on these boards even though you are from our other bitter enemy. I said back when Riverheads lost to Galax that I remembered what happened to our kids when Riverheads flooded social media with their great pleasure in our loss. I said I would never return the favor and I won't. You are exactly right, the kids themselves play hard, they play well and are very, very good year in and year out. That is why as an adult I feel it is time to challenge them and have them play in the proper classification. They have no other adults around that area to learn life lessons from. ;)

Reactions: Trevor_Cash
This doesn't help the argument for Riverheads, as Appomattox is smaller, so they aren't the biggest school like Riverheads. That is why people aren't complaining about them for that reason.

Sorry folks, but whether you agree or disagree with their enrollment, dominance, placement, whatever, the football team and KIDS have nothing to do with that.
Maybe worded incorrectly as the point was that the school with the biggest enrollment doesn't always win. Lots of other variables come into play. RH just happens to have biggest enrollment and does win.

Numbers are pretty easy to look up on VA DOE
*current year* I know the ADM that defines classification of 474 is different.

BUT -- I'd venture to say a small senior class has kept them under the line the past couple years. Do the math
With 107 Seniors you'd have to average 123 kids in every other grade to get over 475.

Freshman -- 123
Sophmores -- 112
Juniors - 118
Seniors -- 107
Total -- 460

Essex has a small Junior class
Freshman -- 116
Sophomores -- 108
Junior -- 98
Senior -- 123
Total -- 445

Grunz, I have always respected your input on these boards even though you are from our other bitter enemy. I said back when Riverheads lost to Galax that I remembered what happened to our kids when Riverheads flooded social media with their great pleasure in our loss. I said I would never return the favor and I won't. You are exactly right, the kids themselves play hard, they play well and are very, very good year in and year out. That is why as an adult I feel it is time to challenge them and have them play in the proper classification. They have no other adults around that area to learn life lessons from. ;)

I dont care if they don't win another game, but it seems that we all forget that this game isn't for the adults and fans, no matter how many fans want to try and make it about them, it's for the KIDS. Some have done things wrong in personal lives, but they aren't to blame IF the school is cheating.

And not any of us as fans or posters on a message board are going to change where they are classified. There can be a post a week about it (And there has been MANY), and it hasn't changed. So if there is an issue, it needs to be brought to the attention of the county and VHSL. No matter how many cheaters, 474, or asterisks are posted doesn't help rectify the situation.

Now, I dont know whether the numbers are correct or not, but even Riverheads faithful have to admit that it does LOOK a bit odd. When you have the same number of students in each class coming and going.

There are 6 contenders in the Shenandoah in the past few years, Buffalo Gap, East Rockingham Luray, Robert E Lee, Stuarts Draft, and Wilson. All are bigger than Riverheads, but all would have win 1a title in their contending years

Somebody should take this to the VHSL and have it settled once and for all. If cheating they should give up championships won during that period of incorrect reporting. The NCAA takes away championships.
Phone # 434-977-8475
bhaun@vhsl.org Executive Director

Quit complaining on a message board for years and take action.

Last edited:
Reactions: naildriver91
Numbers are pretty easy to look up on VA DOE
*current year* I know the ADM that defines classification of 474 is different.

BUT -- I'd venture to say a small senior class has kept them under the line the past couple years. Do the math
With 107 Seniors you'd have to average 123 kids in every other grade to get over 475.

Freshman -- 123
Sophmores -- 112
Juniors - 118
Seniors -- 107
Total -- 460

Essex has a small Junior class
Freshman -- 116
Sophomores -- 108
Junior -- 98
Senior -- 123
Total -- 445
Pretty good source first day of school enrollment was 464 so your are pretty close

Maybe worded incorrectly as the point was that the school with the biggest enrollment doesn't always win. Lots of other variables come into play. RH just happens to have biggest enrollment and does win.
Gap did and Luray was 1a until this year

Yes I know that, my point was that there ARE other teams in district that can win and would in 1a, so it's not like this is just Riverheads. All of those teams could and would do very well in 1a, so it's not that Riverheads team is the problem

Yes I know that, my point was that there ARE other teams in district that can win and would in 1a, so it's not like this is just Riverheads. All of those teams could and would do very well in 1a, so it's not that Riverheads team is the problem
In order for some of those teams, ER, Lee, Wilson, Draft, to be 1A though they would have to lose 200 to 300 students which would obviously reduce the number of athletes in school. Lose those kids and I'm not so sure you're that competitive in 1A against the likes of Essex, Sussex, Galax.

Thanks for once again giving the contact information for the VHSL. If these complainers don't have the stones to take their concerns to the proper authorities, then they should stop whining about it on here, because it really does get old.

If someone has already complained and nothing was done, then that is all the more reason to stop harassing us on here about it. What would really help would be if someone from the VHSL would come on here and make a statement about it. But I guess the chances are not very good of that happening.

What I find most interesting is the fact that Riverheads did spend four years at the 2-A level. Since all classifications, schedules, etc. are reviewed and changed in two year cycles, if they really wanted to manipulate the system, why wouldn't they have started fudging their numbers as soon as they were put in 2-A? Why would it have taken them four years to be moved back down?

I again mention, as I have before on this board, the example of Central Woodstock. This goes back a number of years, since I am older than most of you guys, but that poor school was yo-yoed all over the place for at least ten years. They never knew what the heck division they were in. So that example alone tells me that you cannot pull anything over on the VHSL. And we won't even get into the funding aspect of things, which is the main reason why no school in its right mind would ever UNDERestimate its enrollment.

My final point is that there is not a school in the universe that has exactly the same number of kids enrolled every single year, or heck every single day for that matter. Parents get job transfers, people get divorced and the kid goes to live with a different parent, people buy new houses in different school districts. If the VHSL monitored enrollment as carefully as some of you people seem to think they should, then there would be schools out there changing their classification at halftime of every game.

Bottom line, either stop harping on this very tired subject or do something about it and report your results back to us so you can get the pat on the back that you think you deserve.

In order for some of those teams, ER, Lee, Wilson, Draft, to be 1A though they would have to lose 200 to 300 students which would obviously reduce the number of athletes in school. Lose those kids and I'm not so sure you're that competitive in 1A against the likes of Essex, Sussex, Galax.

I'm not saying that any of those schools are out of place or that Riverheads is, but from the games I have seen in states last 2 years, if any of those teams lost a few kids, they still would have done well. Yes, the more kids you have the better chance of getting more kids, but the thing people don't seem to admit is that it isn't like even at Riverheads the majority of boys are playing football. Even with the lower number of kids, every school would still have the same type of kids playing. Of course if you lose your best players you wouldn't be as good, but the issue that people on BOTH sides of this Riverheads argument (each week it seems like) is that the roster is still small).

And use Luray as the example. Since they just moved up to 2a this season, from what I saw, they win Sunday fairly easily as well.

Again, while I may not like Riverheads, I respect them, and they are successful in large part because of COACHING not players. They have not been proven to have done anything wrong. So me saying those other schools would do well wasn't a shot at Riverheads, it was in fact saying that it's not like Riverheads is the only thing worth something in the area. The other teams in the area help Riverheads be as good as they are because of the competition.

And in most years, IF Riverheads were in 2a, they would do very well. They wouldn't have won the past 3 years because Appomattox was that good. But last year's Riverheads team would have won a 2a title in most years.

And we won't even get into the funding aspect of things, which is the main reason why no school in its right mind would ever UNDERestimate its enrollment.

Stop it, we all know that Xcross is dumping millions of $$$ each season into the school system to offset the deficit this is causing :p:D:p:D

I personally have never discredited the kids at Riverheads I'm sure they put in the work and THEY have earned the right to be called Champions, I was the one who posted that they have a dynasty in the making, Vhsl is culprit not Riverheads. That community has a lot to be proud of and should continue to stand and fight for the program. The administration at Riverheads hopefully will get things in order.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Thanks for once again giving the contact information for the VHSL. If these complainers don't have the stones to take their concerns to the proper authorities, then they should stop whining about it on here, because it really does get old.

If someone has already complained and nothing was done, then that is all the more reason to stop harassing us on here about it. What would really help would be if someone from the VHSL would come on here and make a statement about it. But I guess the chances are not very good of that happening.

What I find most interesting is the fact that Riverheads did spend four years at the 2-A level. Since all classifications, schedules, etc. are reviewed and changed in two year cycles, if they really wanted to manipulate the system, why wouldn't they have started fudging their numbers as soon as they were put in 2-A? Why would it have taken them four years to be moved back down?

I again mention, as I have before on this board, the example of Central Woodstock. This goes back a number of years, since I am older than most of you guys, but that poor school was yo-yoed all over the place for at least ten years. They never knew what the heck division they were in. So that example alone tells me that you cannot pull anything over on the VHSL. And we won't even get into the funding aspect of things, which is the main reason why no school in its right mind would ever UNDERestimate its enrollment.

My final point is that there is not a school in the universe that has exactly the same number of kids enrolled every single year, or heck every single day for that matter. Parents get job transfers, people get divorced and the kid goes to live with a different parent, people buy new houses in different school districts. If the VHSL monitored enrollment as carefully as some of you people seem to think they should, then there would be schools out there changing their classification at halftime of every game.

Bottom line, either stop harping on this very tired subject or do something about it and report your results back to us so you can get the pat on the back that you think you deserve.
Riverheads being able to 'pull one over' on the VHSL is much easier to do, than Central Woodstock. Reason being, Riverheads knows what the hard cutoff will be in 1A each year, a team like Central does not have a hard cutoff number for enrollment.

As for numbers & funding, it has been mentioned on here before that the projected enrollment figures that are sent to the VHSL to determine your classification are not your final funding numbers, apparently if you underestimated, you can get those funds for the additional students at a later time in the year.

I know Riverheads is your team, and I don't care if they fudge their numbers or not, or if they are in 1A or 2A, but do you not see why folks may think something fishy is going on with their enrollment numbers? While I'm
not taking a side, I can see both sides of this--the Riverheads fan tired of beating the dead horse and the other fans with the accusations.

Also, the contact information posted on here for the VHSL is about as useful as a bike with no tires. I've never had much luck getting them to do anything (this is not related to the RHS enrollment mess). That said, I'm not even sure the enrollment issue with Riverheads is even their issue to deal with. They give their power to the ADs and Principals, so the school administrators maybe need to be called for those with the spare time to try to 'expose' Riverheads or whoever else they think may be guilty of something.

Riverheads being able to 'pull one over' on the VHSL is much easier to do, than Central Woodstock. Reason being, Riverheads knows what the hard cutoff will be in 1A each year, a team like Central does not have a hard cutoff number for enrollment.

As for numbers & funding, it has been mentioned on here before that the projected enrollment figures that are sent to the VHSL to determine your classification are not your final funding numbers, apparently if you underestimated, you can get those funds for the additional students at a later time in the year.

I know Riverheads is your team, and I don't care if they fudge their numbers or not, or if they are in 1A or 2A, but do you not see why folks may think something fishy is going on with their enrollment numbers? While I'm
not taking a side, I can see both sides of this--the Riverheads fan tired of beating the dead horse and the other fans with the accusations.

Also, the contact information posted on here for the VHSL is about as useful as a bike with no tires. I've never had much luck getting them to do anything (this is not related to the RHS enrollment mess). That said, I'm not even sure the enrollment issue with Riverheads is even their issue to deal with. They give their power to the ADs and Principals, so the school administrators maybe need to be called for those with the spare time to try to 'expose' Riverheads or whoever else they think may be guilty of something.
Here you go. No more excuses.
Riverheads High School 540-337-1921
Principal- Max Lowe
Athletic Director- C.J. Van Devander
On the school website under administration profiles, they both say to call them with any concerns and obviously a lot of you have concerns. Might want to wait till tomorrow though, schools out for today.

Reactions: naildriver91
I just shot the vhsl an email at the address that was provided above. I'm not going to hold my breathe for a response.

I suggest anyone questioning the numbers do it as well, if nothing else than for peace of mind. Perhaps if enough emails get fired off to them they'll actually open one them up. And who knows, might actually read it..

Reactions: uvacavs1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT