ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll probably never root for that school

I personally have never discredited the kids at Riverheads I'm sure they put in the work and THEY have earned the right to be called Champions, I was the one who posted that they have a dynasty in the making, Vhsl is culprit not Riverheads. That community has a lot to be proud of and should continue to stand and fight for the program. The administration at Riverheads hopefully will get things in order.
You just said VHSL is culprit not Riverheads and administration at Riverheads hopefully will get things in order. Which is it? Unbelievable!
Only thing getting in order is the trophy case. LOL

I just shot the vhsl an email at the address that was provided above. I'm not going to hold my breathe for a response.

I suggest anyone questioning the numbers do it as well, if nothing else than for peace of mind. Perhaps if enough emails get fired off to them they'll actually open one them up. And who knows, might actually read it..
I applaud you for taking the lead. Keep us posted one way or the other.

Here you go. No more excuses.
Riverheads High School 540-337-1921
Principal- Max Lowe
Athletic Director- C.J. Van Devander
On the school website under administration profiles, they both say to call them with any concerns and obviously
Perhaps you misunderstand the quote of mine that you quoted. I do not care if they are in 1A or 2A, or if they are lying about enrollment, as thats on them if so. What I was saying in regards to contacting an AD is to contact the 1A & 2A school ADs, not just the ones at Riverheads. Reason being, the VHSL didnt decice on the hard cutoff of 475, the schools did, just like the VHSL didnt determine the regional playoff debacle, they let the schools decide for themselves. If folks have a concern, they should contact ADs from multiple schools, because the VHSL lets the 'nations rule themselves.'

I have mad respect for RH. They run the single wing (which I hate) beautiful. I dont know who runs it better....Giles or RH? I with @GatorBait1988, I dont see RH beating the last three appo teams or the teams they played in playoffs. He hit it on the head. RE Lee beat them...soooooo?

Appo went to their jamboree for 4 years and I went to all of them. they are fun to watch and vomit at the single wing. RH is good but they are limited. if a good passing O ever played them, they are toast every time.

Just doing a little research and found a couple interesting things. Here is one for now. The current chairman of the VHSL Executive Committee is Eric Baylor, Principal at East Rockingham High School. East Rock is in the Shenandoah District which is where Riverheads competes. I know him to be a pretty stand up guy from my years up in Rockingham County and our kids going to school together. The guy knows his sports, having played football at JMU, being an athletic director and now principal. If you ever wanted to talk to someone about all this classification number stuff here is your chance. A local guy within the same district who competes against Riverheads all year long. East Rock phone is 540-298-7450. Instead of complaining on the message board, take a stand and call him and ask some questions. Keep us posted. You're welcome!

I hope Riverheads never wins another game, not because they are a rival, truth be told there are other schools I dislike more, and besides when they play SD, doesn't matter to me. But if they never win another game, we won't have to hear this EVERY WEEK, EVERY MONTH, EVERY YEAR. I have to side with RH posters on this, enough. Try to fix it or stop talking about it

Yes. Beverly Manor Middle School

Wilson and Draft used to share a middle school as well until mid 2000s

If I remember right, at one time Fort was part of it as well.

But each have had their own elementary school. Staunton and Waynesboro have like 4 or more elementary schools each, and I believe multiple middle schools

474 is the number reported at the start of the last cycle . That number can and will be left on the board until the cycle is complete . The number can and will change after that but the number on the cycle will not change until the next cycle starts ! Changing the number on the board every year during the cycle changes nothing but a number . $ for students stays the same . RHS student count on 12/12/17 452 per Augusta Co. School Board .
Mr. H at Draft and Mr. C at WM Get a life and may your teams SUCK forever . PS Mr. H get a new time keeper !

474 is the number reported at the start of the last cycle . That number can and will be left on the board until the cycle is complete . The number can and will change after that but the number on the cycle will not change until the next cycle starts ! Changing the number on the board every year during the cycle changes nothing but a number . $ for students stays the same . RHS student count on 12/12/17 452 per Augusta Co. School Board .
Mr. H at Draft and Mr. C at WM Get a life and may your teams SUCK forever . PS Mr. H get a new time keeper !

You sir make your school look very bad. You have said some very sad things in your time on here. You talk bad about KIDS, Coaches, areas, etc.

I will gladly speak up and defend someone or something I think is right, and I have no issue speaking up for any of the other posters from Riverheads on here. They seem like good people and knowledgeable, while you entire reason for being here is to start trouble with anyone, including degrading your own coaches and KIDS.

I dont know who Mr. H or Mr C is that you are referring to, and we all know you want to upset me with the time keeper comment, bit you just don't bother me. But it seems like you sir are the one that needs to get a life.

Enjoy what you have in Riverheads, and enjoy the good things in life. God is so good to all of us, we need not worry about the bad things. So with that said, and you being a bad poster, I just won't worry about you.

God bless and Merry Christmas

Xcross come on buddy! I was on here giving y’all props lol

And Gunz you’re right. Wilson had Wilson Elementary and Cassell. The Wilson elementary kids went to Draft middle, while the Cassell gets went to Stuart Gordon with the Fort kids.

I have mad respect for RH. They run the single wing (which I hate) beautiful. I dont know who runs it better....Giles or RH? I with @GatorBait1988, I dont see RH beating the last three appo teams or the teams they played in playoffs. He hit it on the head. RE Lee beat them...soooooo?

Appo went to their jamboree for 4 years and I went to all of them. they are fun to watch and vomit at the single wing. RH is good but they are limited. if a good passing O ever played them, they are toast every time.

That is incorrect.
Riverheads plays district games vs East Rock every year, who usually has a strong passing offense. Their All-everything QB and WR from last year are now tearing it up at the next level. ER has never beat RHS.

In the playoffs, how about all these teams from the east (Surry, Franklin, Essex, etc) Riverheads has taken on throughout the years with various run and gun, or spread, or every play a new formation offenses? Some of those great passing attacks, others leaned more run. More often than not, RHS takes them down

In State Games: Eastern Montgomery in 2010 had maybe the best passing attack I have seen in Salem. A QB that could get the ball anywhere on the field and a crew of guys that could catch it. RHS did not lose to East Mont.

Wait, weren't we hearing how great the passing attack from Chilhowie coming into last week's game? How it lit Galax up the week before?..........

It is true that the majority of the Shenandoah District is running teams. It wasn't that way in the early 2000s. A lot of Pro and I formations and the teams were always trying to toss the ball around. After years of being hammered by the ground and pound, one-by-one they have all come to run their own versions of the Wing T.

Looks like RHS can play against good passing O and are capable of getting the win. Have they lost games? Yep. So has everybody. Have they lost against running teams? Yep. But I guess that you are right. RHS is limited. Limited to competing year in, year out, no matter what type of offense they face.

That is incorrect.
Riverheads plays district games vs East Rock every year, who usually has a strong passing offense. Their All-everything QB and WR from last year are now tearing it up at the next level. ER has never beat RHS.

In the playoffs, how about all these teams from the east (Surry, Franklin, Essex, etc) Riverheads has taken on throughout the years with various run and gun, or spread, or every play a new formation offenses? Some of those great passing attacks, others leaned more run. More often than not, RHS takes them down

In State Games: Eastern Montgomery in 2010 had maybe the best passing attack I have seen in Salem. A QB that could get the ball anywhere on the field and a crew of guys that could catch it. RHS did not lose to East Mont.

Wait, weren't we hearing how great the passing attack from Chilhowie coming into last week's game? How it lit Galax up the week before?..........

It is true that the majority of the Shenandoah District is running teams. It wasn't that way in the early 2000s. A lot of Pro and I formations and the teams were always trying to toss the ball around. After years of being hammered by the ground and pound, one-by-one they have all come to run their own versions of the Wing T.

Looks like RHS can play against good passing O and are capable of getting the win. Have they lost games? Yep. So has everybody. Have they lost against running teams? Yep. But I guess that you are right. RHS is limited. Limited to competing year in, year out, no matter what type of offense they face.
I just think the QB had the game of his life against Galax.

Reactions: MT2023
That is incorrect.

I don't believe they are limited to a specific offense, per say. I think they are limited against top 2A schools talent level. Again, I think in 1A RH isn't the most athletic team, but from top to bottom, they are VERY formidable, mix that with an excellent coach and superior technique and you have a very tough team. 5 State Titles since 2000 (I think) agrees with me.

I will use one of your examples, East Mont did have one of the most potent passing attacks ever assembled in Salem....by stats. That's mainly because of their weak schedule. They had 2 solid players on that team, their QB was legit and they had a standout WR (Wooten) I believe. Everyone else was decent. RH won. They beat 2 guys. Great. Now let's look at a dominant passing attack in 2A. Richlands of 2015 and 2016. These two passing attacks aren't even comparable, in my opinion. Both teams are pass heavy, RH beat East Mont because of the amount of players EM had, 2. Richlands had 6 guys on both of those teams that could score from anywhere on the field. That's the difference in top talent from 1A to 2A. Same scheme, different athletes. RH couldn't match up with the amount of athletes Richlands had. They can scheme for the offensive attack, but they can't make their players bigger, faster, or stronger.....overnight.

See how that works.......

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
That is incorrect.

Okay, maybe I should have said DOMINANT passing Os, not every one of them. Gatorbait sums it up nicely what I was referring too.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Teams dont beat Riverheads because of a specific offense, they beat them because they were better on that night or that year. At least 10 wins a year for what 9 years straight, and that is playing in a tough district.

Each year Riverheads play at least 2-3 teams more talented than them, and win most of them because of how well they are coached.

For whoever said they couldn't play against passing Teams? They may have won or at the very least been very competitive with Richlands last year, I seen them both against Stuarts Draft. Just because they don't run what people think is entertaining or they don't have athletes all over the field doesn't mean they cannot compete.

They would do well in 2a. If you take out Appomattox of the last 3 years, Goochland, Richlands, Riverheads, and Stuarts Draft any of them could have taken home the 2a title. Appomattox just has a great team and run going. Just like a lot of other teams have had in recent memory. But to think they can't compete because they are small and run the ball 99% of time is very wrong

Reactions: Bama1985
Teams dont beat Riverheads because of a specific offense, they beat them because they were better on that night or that year. At least 10 wins a year for what 9 years straight, and that is playing in a tough district.

Each year Riverheads play at least 2-3 teams more talented than them, and win most of them because of how well they are coached.

For whoever said they couldn't play against passing Teams? They may have won or at the very least been very competitive with Richlands last year, I seen them both against Stuarts Draft. Just because they don't run what people think is entertaining or they don't have athletes all over the field doesn't mean they cannot compete.

They would do well in 2a. If you take out Appomattox of the last 3 years, Goochland, Richlands, Riverheads, and Stuarts Draft any of them could have taken home the 2a title. Appomattox just has a great team and run going. Just like a lot of other teams have had in recent memory. But to think they can't compete because they are small and run the ball 99% of time is very wrong
Gunz continues to make points.

Which is EXACTLY what I said. They won almost 90% of their games at 2A, which shows they were more than competitive. They lost to the TOP teams in 2A....because....of.....TALENT. Period.

It sounds like we are agreeing.

I applaud you for taking the lead. Keep us posted one way or the other.

He was kind enough to respond to my email,

"Thanks for your question. The classification process is outlined in Section 10, page 17, of the Virginia High School League By-Laws which can be found in the VHSL Handbook and Policy Manual. Our handbook can be found at the following link - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_7KGbWzA0LxY0hlMnVmRHVaMVU/view?rm=minimal .

In this email, I will try to explain the process in more simplified terms. Schools are assigned to a district, region, and class for a four-year period. This would explain why Riverheads’ enrollment numbers have stayed constant for 4 years. The VHSL does not reclassify every year.

The membership of a school to a class shall be the March 31 average daily membership (ADM) figures submitted by school divisions to the State Department of Education for grades 9, 10, 11 and 12. Calculating ADM is a very technical process that each school division must complete every year by the superintendent and staff. The numbers submitted to DOE are used to provide school divisions basic aid. Providing false or incorrect information by a school division would be a very serious violation.

I know from some of the email that I receive that some folks think schools directly report their numbers to the VHSL, but that is incorrect. I hope this information helps to provide some clarifying information about how enrollments are obtained by the VHSL and used for classification purposes.

Take care and have a great day. "

Reactions: naildriver91
He was kind enough to respond to my email,

"Thanks for your question. The classification process is outlined in Section 10, page 17, of the Virginia High School League By-Laws which can be found in the VHSL Handbook and Policy Manual. Our handbook can be found at the following link - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_7KGbWzA0LxY0hlMnVmRHVaMVU/view?rm=minimal .

In this email, I will try to explain the process in more simplified terms. Schools are assigned to a district, region, and class for a four-year period. This would explain why Riverheads’ enrollment numbers have stayed constant for 4 years. The VHSL does not reclassify every year.

The membership of a school to a class shall be the March 31 average daily membership (ADM) figures submitted by school divisions to the State Department of Education for grades 9, 10, 11 and 12. Calculating ADM is a very technical process that each school division must complete every year by the superintendent and staff. The numbers submitted to DOE are used to provide school divisions basic aid. Providing false or incorrect information by a school division would be a very serious violation.

I know from some of the email that I receive that some folks think schools directly report their numbers to the VHSL, but that is incorrect. I hope this information helps to provide some clarifying information about how enrollments are obtained by the VHSL and used for classification purposes.

Take care and have a great day. "
That's awesome that you got such a reply. Helps explain the actual process as opposed to what we were led to believe from certain posters. Looks like process involves superintendent and staff.
Now it's just a matter of time before certain posters will start blaming the Department of Education. LOL
Thanks for sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT