ADVERTISEMENT

I’m headed to SWVA finally.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Since Dinwiddie is off this week, I’m going to take advantage of the opportunity and head West. I’ve decided to go see Giles at Narrows. It appears as though it could be a fairly even match, with Narrows expected to win?

A friend knows someone from the area, so I’m sure I’ll get good tips on where to stay and where to eat, but I would love to have your suggestions also please.

I’m dragging my long suffering wife along that doesn’t care about football, but she dutifully goes where I go. Bless here heart. We will travel out Friday, get booked in somewhere, have a nice supper and then catch the game. Saturday will be for goofing off and seeing the area. Natural beauty and history interest us. So I would love to have your suggestions.

I have promised my wife that we will visit at least one covered bridge. I see that the Link Farm Bridge is really close by in Newport. Since it’s on private land, will they allow visitors? Are there other covered bridges nearby that you would suggest? How about waterfalls? The restriction is that we are not young, and I’m dealing with a bum ankle that I recently had surgery on, so long or arduous hikes are not for us.

If there is something specific to see, that is great, but just riding the back roads and enjoying the beauty of the area is all we really need.

As always, thank you for your tips and advice.

Since Dinwiddie is off this week, I’m going to take advantage of the opportunity and head West. I’ve decided to go see Giles at Narrows. It appears as though it could be a fairly even match, with Narrows expected to win?

A friend knows someone from the area, so I’m sure I’ll get good tips on where to stay and where to eat, but I would love to have your suggestions also please.

I’m dragging my long suffering wife along that doesn’t care about football, but she dutifully goes where I go. Bless here heart. We will travel out Friday, get booked in somewhere, have a nice supper and then catch the game. Saturday will be for goofing off and seeing the area. Natural beauty and history interest us. So I would love to have your suggestions.

I have promised my wife that we will visit at least one covered bridge. I see that the Link Farm Bridge is really close by in Newport. Since it’s on private land, will they allow visitors? Are there other covered bridges nearby that you would suggest? How about waterfalls? The restriction is that we are not young, and I’m dealing with a bum ankle that I recently had surgery on, so long or arduous hikes are not for us.

If there is something specific to see, that is great, but just riding the back roads and enjoying the beauty of the area is all we really need.

Some of my Tn friends drove up to Giles County a few weeks ago to visit an Amish/Mennonite country store. Said it was really nice. Might be a Saturday option.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

Better off staying in the Blacksburg or Dublin area as far as hotels go. Nice little hike to the cascades waterfalls in Pembroke. And watch the 1A pickem this week. I think you'll see not many locals picking Narrows to win this one. Also Bluegrass BBQ in Pembroke. Big portions, very reasonable price

Some of my Tn friends drove up to Giles County a few weeks ago to visit an Amish/Mennonite country store. Said it was really nice. Might be a Saturday option.
LOL, that could be my death sentence. We have one here in Dinwiddie and my doctor has expressly prohibited me from going there. And I ALWAYS follow doctors orders!:rolleyes: I’ll go on a seek and destroy mission. Thank you TS.

George Wythe and Galax are really good this year. Don't let the losses to George Wythe and Galax fool you about Giles as both teams are probably top 4 or 5 in Class 1. Narrows will have a hard time beating Giles. I favor Giles by a touchdown.
You know the truth is that I don’t have a dog in the fight, so who actually wins is of little consequence. But being the game is at Narrows I’ll probably sit on that side. I’m going to applaud good plays regardless of which team it is. Of course, if I start to get too many mean looks I’ll tone it down. I don’t need my ass whupped in Narrows.

Thanks Fairlawn

You know the truth is that I don’t have a dog in the fight, so who actually wins is of little consequence. But being the game is at Narrows I’ll probably sit on that side. I’m going to applaud good plays regardless of which team it is. Of course, if I start to get too many mean looks I’ll tone it down. I don’t need my ass whupped in Narrows.

Thanks Fairlawn
Couple things to keep in mind. Don't know what you're arrival time plan is, but very limited parking and seating at Narrows. I'd plan to get there by 6 if possible. Also field is at the old high school, not the current Narrows high school. But it's pretty much in down town section of Narrows, can't miss it

Couple things to keep in mind. Don't know what you're arrival time plan is, but very limited parking and seating at Narrows. I'd plan to get there by 6 if possible. Also field is at the old high school, not the current Narrows high school. But it's pretty much in down town section of Narrows, can't miss it
Thanks, I had looked at it on google earth and saw that it wasn’t at the HS. I’ll get there by 6:00, which is always what I try to do at all games. Thanks again.

I will say this- you are going to get experience a unique atmosphere. As it is usually rocking on the home side especially in this game. But this field is a great atmosphere as the home stands are right on top of the field and they are straight up and down and gets very loud. Enjoy sir

Thanks, I had looked at it on google earth and saw that it wasn’t at the HS. I’ll get there by 6:00, which is always what I try to do at all games. Thanks again.
Safe travels Dinwiddie and I see you guys have another powerful state title potential and usual deep playoff run team. Must be something in the water in Dinwiddie, who just reloads.

I’m sad to report that we are going to skip the trip this weekend. I was reminded that VT is home this week and I would have to go to Bluefield to find a hotel room.

In a couple of weeks, if my mean ole boss will let me take a couple of days off during the week, I’m still going to make the trip. I hate missing the game, but just traveling out that way to your area is the next best thing.

You folks keep shopping at the Mennonite store and eating at Bluegrass BBQ until I can get there. Help keep them in business.

Thanks for all of the advice. It’s not a trip not taken, only a trip delayed.

I’m sad to report that we are going to skip the trip this weekend. I was reminded that VT is home this week and I would have to go to Bluefield to find a hotel room.

In a couple of weeks, if my mean ole boss will let me take a couple of days off during the week, I’m still going to make the trip. I hate missing the game, but just traveling out that way to your area is the next best thing.

You folks keep shopping at the Mennonite store and eating at Bluegrass BBQ until I can get there. Help keep them in business.

Thanks for all of the advice. It’s not a trip not taken, only a trip delayed.
Hey DinwiddieProud, if my memory serves me right don't you have family (I'm thinking daughter) living in Galax area? If so you may want to think about Radford at Galax game this week, if they still live there and you're just interested in getting out and about, visiting family and seeing what sould be a great game has all the making for a good alternative for this week.

Hey DinwiddieProud, if my memory serves me right don't you have family (I'm thinking daughter) living in Galax area? If so you may want to think about Radford at Galax game this week, if they still live there and you're just interested in getting out and about, visiting family and seeing what sould be a great game has all the making for a good alternative for this week
Hey old friend, how have you been doing. Still living down on that beautiful spot you call home?

I typed a reply the other day to you message, but I must not have hit send. Anyway, our daughter has moved to Waycross GA. It was always my intention to do as you suggested and go visit her and catch a game, but they moved on before I could make that happen.

It looks like I missed a pretty good game in Narrows last night, judging by the score. I wish I could have been there.

DinwiddieProud ......
Hey there buddy, hope all well with you and family. Yeah I'm still here.
Little bit further to dive to see your daughter & a game now sounds like.

I don't get out to games much anymore so I catch what I can on radio or online and check for updates on here and other sites, anyways it's usually a battle when any of these close communities get together for some football. Hate that the
CHokies messed up your plans but hopefully you can get back over this way and catch a good game sometime.

Last edited:
We are doing well, thank you. LOL, I have no intention of going all the way to Southern GA for a football game. We have been to see her one time but they got us to meet them in St Augustine for a couple of days, and that wasn’t bad. But there are too many things right here in Virginia that I want to see, to justify traveling out of state.

Are you still working? I am. Probably about two more years full time and then I’ll lift my foot off of the gas a little.

I hope and pray that your family is healthy? I remember that most everyone close to you had health issues.

Radford sure took Galax to the wood shed last night, didn’t they?

We are doing well, thank you. LOL, I have no intention of going all the way to Southern GA for a football game. We have been to see her one time but they got us to meet them in St Augustine for a couple of days, and that wasn’t bad. But there are too many things right here in Virginia that I want to see, to justify traveling out of state.

Are you still working? I am. Probably about two more years full time and then I’ll lift my foot off of the gas a little.

I hope and pray that your family is healthy? I remember that most everyone close to you had health issues.

Radford sure took Galax to the wood shed last night, didn’t they?
I'll send you a PM later today so that we can get off these forums

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT