ADVERTISEMENT

If you were your schools offensive coordinator, which offensive system would you run?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Would you run the spread no huddle system? Wing t? Single wing? The "I", wishbone? Veer? Or something else.
Me, I am biased. I would run the "I" and go spread on obvious passing situations, just like Salem. What I'm interested in is are there fans out there that would run a different system than what their team currently runs?

For most every offense, it depends on your personnel. If you have an immobile an, you obviously won't be successful in a triple option, etc.

I formation is one that doesn't have a lot of keys to be successful due to personnel. In a wing t (or some kind of wing offense) the key to effectiveness (more than other offenses) is the line play.

A lot also depends on what the coaching is the best at. There are A LOT of things that have to be coached properly and lingo with Wing T. You wouldn't want a spread guy trying to teach that.

I'll give you an example. For a wing team, an OL can have an assignment of gap down on backer and another could be a touchdown block. Those are assignments and what to block depends on alignment, whereas in an I you have a numbering system, so totally different. Doesn't make either right or wrong or easier, etc. It depends on coaching, personnel, and knowledge

Reactions: MrSir#5
The “I” is the most consistent offense regardless of personnel IMO. The Veer has always had my attention, sort of high risk-high reward offense. The spread has taken over to some degree, but teams that can line up and run right at you will always give a defense trouble, especially at the HS level.

I love it the way Johnson mixes it up. Lull you to sleep with the triple option and BAM! Hits the receiver for a 65 yard TD strike.
I do too, just think Navy runs it “cleaner”? Both takes a phenomal athlete at QB. That’s why James Graham is headed there. Seeing Navy throw the ball during a snow storm (Navy-Army game this year) was the definition of confidence in an offense.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I love the spread....with as many "receivers" (doesn't mean you can't hand it off to them too) on the field as possible. BUT....the talent you have always can have an impact on the style you choose. I just think it's easier to have big runs from the spread. If you have a QB that can run and pass well, it's a very tough offense to defend.

A lot of folks are saying it would depend on the talent. Would you actually change the system from year to year? That would be difficult. I would think you would choose one system and stay with it. That's why I like the "I". It is the most versatile and go from power running to play action. You can even run the option out of it.

A lot of folks are saying it would depend on the talent. Would you actually change the system from year to year? That would be difficult. I would think you would choose one system and stay with it. That's why I like the "I". It is the most versatile and go from power running to play action. You can even run the option out of it.
That's the same reason I like the spread. I think you can disguise a lot of things from the sets and you lean toward running or passing depending on your players abilities. I also love the little dump passes over the middle which can be very effective from the spread.

I personally do not like the spread. I do not think it is physical enough. So many of them don't even get their linemen in a three point stance. It doesn't seem that they learn good run blocking techniques. It's success is usually based on how elusive your QB is. Just me.

Reactions: MrSir#5
I personally do not like the spread. I do not think it is physical enough. So many of them don't even get their linemen in a three point stance. It doesn't seem that they learn good run blocking techniques. It's success is usually based on how elusive your QB is. Just me.
Like any system...depends on the personnel you have. EV has been very physical the last few years. I pretty much think any system mentioned will work just as good as any other if it's executed as it's drawn up. Hard to get 15-18 year olds to do it correctly for an extended period of time.

Stated all my points during the season and saw enough against Orange, JM and Dinwiddie. I think the playoffs settled it. If they were very physical, they would've been able to run the ball against Dinwiddie.

Last edited:
I would stay in Louisa's current, versatile system, especially with more horses coming in the pipeline. The single wing/pistol/spread hybrid hurry up offense. The single wing makes sure you teach the kids good run blocking techniques, while the pistol is a good modern change of pace. This philosophy helped Louisa score a school record 634 points with 6,200 yards last season. Plus Louisa runs a Pistol I as well, which is like a more modern I formation anyway.

The same benefit to gimmick offenses at this level (overcome with scheme not talent) is ultimately what does them in anyway because eventually the well runs dry and you can't do anything but drive between the 20s. Same reason GT can either win the Coastal or struggle to hit .500. GT had the #1 rushing offenses in the country a couple years ago and all that got them was a 3-9 record. The true plug n' play is basically something like Salem runs. 4 state finals in a row with 3 different QBs, 4 different lead TBs, varying WRs, etc.

Christiansburg had all the success in the world running their flexbone with Motley and Snell and when those kids graduated they plummeted back down to earth in the following years. You'll almost certainly see a similar downturn for Staunton River.

Stated all my points during the season and saw enough against Orange, JM and Dinwiddie. I think the playoffs settled it. If they were very physical, they would've been able to run the ball against Dinwiddie.
They weren’t the most physical team in the state, doesn’t mean they weren’t physical. They just didn’t have an answer for #81.

Would you run the spread no huddle system? Wing t? Single wing? The "I", wishbone? Veer? Or something else.
Me, I am biased. I would run the "I" and go spread on obvious passing situations, just like Salem. What I'm interested in is are there fans out there that would run a different system than what their team currently runs?[ I would run whatever the head coach told me to probably. Lol. But if the decision was left up to me I would have a conservative type running game first. With the quarterback under center. A great power running game takes the soul out of the opposition. I love the kind of offense that makes the fans on the other side say “man I wish they would throw the ball”. I watched Pulaski Co do that for many years. You can do it in the I formation, wing t, bone etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT