ADVERTISEMENT

Illegal Kick

Central Region Tom

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2001
Team A is punting from its own 20. High snap. Ball winds up on the ground at the 8. Punter for Team A intentionally kicks the ball backwards out of the end zone from that spot. Flag thrown for illegal kick. What are Team B's options in this situation at the high school level?

If declined the result of the play is a safety.

If accepted the penalty is assessed from the spot of the foul, half the distance, replay the down from the 4.

I believe the NCAA rule makes this a loss of down and the defense could accept the ball 1st and goal at the 4, (I could be wrong, I don't call NCAA football) but in high school it is not a loss of down, so accepting it will allow another chance to kick the ball.

Well it would be foolish to accept it. I would take the safety and let them free kick it to me. I will likely still have good field position.

Yeah, that's eventually where the officials wound up last night. They originally gave Team B the option to get it at the 4 (a la the college rule), but, after spotting the ball, the officials stopped the game and talked it over for 3-4 minutes before changing the options. Team B elected to take the two points, obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT