ADVERTISEMENT

IMG Vs Bishop Sullivan

mbonape1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2015
Last night I was at the Va beach Sportsplex checking out 2 teams loaded with D1 talent. There was not a starter on any side of the ball for either team that didn't have a major D1 offer. The talent level was undeniable. Even the IMG kicker.. who was almost making field goals on the KICKOFFS into a head wind is going to Michigan.

I think VA public schools have athletes to compete against these type of schools but the problem is the team size. IMG has the biggest OL & DL I have ever seen on a high school team. It looked like an NFL line.

Bishop Sullivan outplayed the number 1 team in the nation pretty handily for most of the night. BS gave this game to IMG in a disturbing trend I am seeing more and more of in HS football. With a 6 point lead in the 4th quarter, BS goes for it on a 4th and long 4yrds from their own 19yrd line! Everyone in the stands especially the BS fans were dumbfounded. Sure enough IMG loads 11 in the box and stuffs BS. IMG then scores 3 plays later to take the 7-6 lead. IMG had been able to do nothing on offense until that giant momentum swing.

On the next possession BS drives all the way down to the IMG 7 yrd line with 3 minutes left on the clock. Again 4th and about 5 yrds with a chance to basically "kick an extra point" to beat the number 1 team in the nation.... and what does BS do, they go for it and run a dive!! Of coarse they are stuffed and the game is essentially over.

You can read Matt's take and get more game details at the VaPreps home page. Coach Scott is an incredible coach but these were "What on earth" decisions. Its unexplainable and unfortunate for the kids who outplayed their opponent.

I am seeing this more and more and I agree in HS football you should go for it a lot but sometimes it is just like playing Russian Roulette with 5 rounds in the barrel. There were 2 other times where BS could have kicked a short easy field goal and went for it and got stuffed on 4th down.

On Another note:
Gate prices were $15 for general admission and select seating for $25 a ticket. This type of football is unfortunately the near future just because it is making so much money for the schools with Bleecher Report / ESPN / Ad revenue and large venues. It would not surprise me to see a Richmond area private school emerge soon to attempt to be a national contender and make HS football big business.

Not sure I like a Private school pillaging local high schools for the areas top talent. There is something about winning with the neighborhood kids that makes HS football special.

I was at the game last n
Last night I was at the Va beach Sportsplex checking out 2 teams loaded with D1 talent. There was not a starter on any side of the ball for either team that didn't have a major D1 offer. The talent level was undeniable. Even the IMG kicker.. who was almost making field goals on the KICKOFFS into a head wind is going to Michigan.

I think VA public schools have athletes to compete against these type of schools but the problem is the team size. IMG has the biggest OL & DL I have ever seen on a high school team. It looked like an NFL line.

Bishop Sullivan outplayed the number 1 team in the nation pretty handily for most of the night. BS gave this game to IMG in a disturbing trend I am seeing more and more of in HS football. With a 6 point lead in the 4th quarter, BS goes for it on a 4th and long 4yrds from their own 19yrd line! Everyone in the stands especially the BS fans were dumbfounded. Sure enough IMG loads 11 in the box and stuffs BS. IMG then scores 3 plays later to take the 7-6 lead. IMG had been able to do nothing on offense until that giant momentum swing.

On the next possession BS drives all the way down to the IMG 7 yrd line with 3 minutes left on the clock. Again 4th and about 5 yrds with a chance to basically "kick an extra point" to beat the number 1 team in the nation.... and what does BS do, they go for it and run a dive!! Of coarse they are stuffed and the game is essentially over.

You can read Matt's take and get more game details at the VaPreps home page. Coach Scott is an incredible coach but these were "What on earth" decisions. Its unexplainable and unfortunate for the kids who outplayed their opponent.

I am seeing this more and more and I agree in HS football you should go for it a lot but sometimes it is just like playing Russian Roulette with 5 rounds in the barrel. There were 2 other times where BS could have kicked a short easy field goal and went for it and got stuffed on 4th down.

On Another note:
Gate prices were $15 for general admission and select seating for $25 a ticket. This type of football is unfortunately the near future just because it is making so much money for the schools with Bleecher Report / ESPN / Ad revenue and large venues. It would not surprise me to see a Richmond area private school emerge soon to attempt to be a national contender and make HS football big business.

Not sure I like a Private school pillaging local high schools for the areas top talent. There is something about winning with the neighborhood kids that makes HS football special.
I was at the game last night working for B/R and Sullivan was 5-11 on 4th down. RIDICULOUS!!!

I was at the game last n

I was at the game last night working for B/R and Sullivan was 5-11 on 4th down. RIDICULOUS!!!

You know what I was thinking about hitting you up to see if you were going but I got caught up and traffic coming through the tunnel. I should have hit you up..

You know what I was thinking about hitting you up to see if you were going but I got caught up and traffic coming through the tunnel. I should have hit you up..
Yea I had a long two days. After the game Friday I drove my boys to Hopewell to drop them off then drove to Longwood arriving at 2am for a training from 8-3:30. Then back to make it for the game at 7 which I think I arrived at 6:30. Traffic was killer!! I was sitting beside the announcers from B/R doing the stats for them. They have a great thing going on with those games. Someone thought outside the box bigtime to broadcast games live on Facebook.

Yea I had a long two days. After the game Friday I drove my boys to Hopewell to drop them off then drove to Longwood arriving at 2am for a training from 8-3:30. Then back to make it for the game at 7 which I think I arrived at 6:30. Traffic was killer!! I was sitting beside the announcers from B/R doing the stats for them. They have a great thing going on with those games. Someone thought outside the box bigtime to broadcast games live on Facebook.

Nothing like the mile+ walk in the cold bc of lack of parking at the sportsplex!

Was this near the Princess Anne complex. If so dang was there for lacrosse tournament and saw all the people over there. Would have loved to seen!

Reactions: mbonape1
Not sure about Chris Scott, he is a master of recruiting talent away from other schools because he has a special relationship with the top tier middle school club teams. BUT, his actual game management can definitely be questioned. Most every year when he was at Ocean Lakes, he had superior talent. The fact that Ocean Lakes only won one 6A State championship is crazy with all the kids transferred into that program! Game planning & mismanagement cost Ocean Lakes playoff games against Colonial Forge & Oscar Smith. The IMG game was the pennicle of mismanagement for him. The kids that tranfer love him but not having a post season to play for combined with his continued propensity to mismanage big games may make the 757 talent think twice about going to Bishop Sullivan.

Was this near the Princess Anne complex. If so dang was there for lacrosse tournament and saw all the people over there. Would have loved to seen!

Yes it was right there... amazing game but as @757FridayNiteZ expounded on it was tragic at the same time... But to give you an idea of how big IMG was when I say public Va schools just wouldn't have the size to compete see below:

70 Reuben Unije T, G Jr. 6-6 / 310
72 Daniel Faalele OL Jr. 6-9 / 390
73 Evan Neal T, G So. 6-8 / 370
74 Robert Congel G, C Sr. 6-4 / 310
75 Ej Ndoma-ogar C, G, T So. 6-3 / 300
76 Noah Quier G So. 6-3 / 315
77 Curtis Dunlap jr. G, T Jr. 6-5 / 350

Bishop Sullivan is pretty big too and actually out athlete-ed IMG. Labrom (FSU commit) was hurdling defenders in traffic where he must have been 4-5 ft in the air.

Also, Bishop Sullivan's Teradja Mitchell is an incredible linebacker. He maybe the best ILB I have ever seen on the high school level. He is 6'2-3" about 232lbs and is very dangerous running downhill. He is running through blockers and blowing plays up. Rayshard Ashby for Bird is more crafty than Mitchell when it comes to shedding blockers and maybe better laterally but I would say Mitchell has more power and when he gets going downhill, lookout!! He has enough speed to cover the sweeps from the ILB position and takes great angles. Phenomenal player- IMO as a jr in high school... he could start for VA Tech right now and be a difference maker. He has an offer from every school on earth. He hasn't committed to anyone yet.

Not sure about Chris Scott, he is a master of recruiting talent away from other schools because he has a special relationship with the top tier middle school club teams. BUT, his actual game management can definitely be questioned. Most every year when he was at Ocean Lakes, he had superior talent. The fact that Ocean Lakes only won one 6A State championship is crazy with all the kids transferred into that program! Game planning & mismanagement cost Ocean Lakes playoff games against Colonial Forge & Oscar Smith. The IMG game was the pennicle of mismanagement for him. The kids that tranfer love him but not having a post season to play for combined with his continued propensity to mismanage big games may make the 757 talent think twice about going to Bishop Sullivan.

I was being nice lol... but I bet you will see 5-6 big transfers into that program again this year. Those kids are getting big offers so in the grand scheme of things I understand but it just waters down the beach district big time.

I was being nice lol... but I bet you will see 5-6 big transfers into that program again this year. Those kids are getting big offers so in the grand scheme of things I understand but it just waters down the beach district big time.
A lot of these kids had the offers before they transferred. T. Mitchell didn't gain anything from the transfer he was top 100 before he left Bayside. Fools gold they selling these kids. If you can play they will find you. We don't seem to have a problem sending kids off to college.

A lot of these kids had the offers before they transferred. T. Mitchell didn't gain anything from the transfer he was top 100 before he left Bayside. Fools gold they selling these kids. If you can play they will find you. We don't seem to have a problem sending kids off to college.

Your right.. i think Mitchel was number 1 at his position even at bayside...
But maybe the sale pitch is playing against other great players and continued growth? If your a 250lb tailback as a soph does it really do you any good to run over 150lb corners for 2 more years?!?

I'd like to see kids stay at thier PHS though personally

Your right.. i think Mitchel was number 1 at his position even at bayside...
But maybe the sale pitch is playing against other great players and continued growth? If your a 250lb tailback as a soph does it really do you any good to run over 150lb corners for 2 more years?!?

I'd like to see kids stay at thier PHS though personally
Well they will never play the kids locally that they grew up playing anymore as the teams around here won't play them. They didn't play for a month as they had a couple of games cancelled. They also don't belong to a conference so they don't have anything to play for (conference title or state title). The parents of the kids that were there before Scott and were paying to attend BS see all these top players coming in and not having to pay so the parents are pissed. So, this happened yesterday.
http://pilotonline.com/sports/high-...cle_f465724b-9ecf-54d4-a221-7f1991c00804.html

Well they will never play the kids locally that they grew up playing anymore as the teams around here won't play them. They didn't play for a month as they had a couple of games cancelled. They also don't belong to a conference so they don't have anything to play for (conference title or state title). The parents of the kids that were there before Scott and were paying to attend BS see all these top players coming in and not having to pay so the parents are pissed. So, this happened yesterday.
http://pilotonline.com/sports/high-...cle_f465724b-9ecf-54d4-a221-7f1991c00804.html
Bishop Sullivan going through the same buyer's remorse a lot of private schools go through when they sell their souls to the athletic devil? Please note the athletic devil refers to the quest for high profile athletics, not any single parent, coach, administrator or player. It is a very slippery slope with a lot of pitfalls and often unanticipated consequences. Very surprising people do not learn from their predecessors. The list is very short where this strategy actually results in a long term success story and the costs are steep for what usually amounts to a few short years(if that) of glory.

I agree. There has to be a steady increase of drawing highly regarded recruits from the local schools to begin also pulling kids in from out of state. With the increased admissions requirements of Bishop Sullivan, the wholesale transfer of talent won't like reach The numbers that Ocean Lakes enjoyed.

Additionally, The HUGE problem with Chris Scott, is that he may already have the reputation of loosing the Big Games.

He does have a lot of Pro NFL players to boast about, but who's really buying that these players weren't already on that pathway anyway? The coaching at the college level likely has more to do with those players success!

Additionally, The HUGE problem with Chris Scott, is that he may already have the reputation of loosing the Big Games.
c464ed8f58452867ebca66942ad980ad.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT