ADVERTISEMENT

In honor of the brave men on D-day...,

How many of you had relatives that hit the beach on this day in 1944?

I am glad you posted this DP. I just read The Bedford Boys and my heart goes out to the community of Bedford. Most of us could never imagine what that town experienced in the summer of 1944. I plan on visiting the memorial again soon to pay my respects for those that gave us so much and paid the ultimate price. Thank you to all that have served and continue to serve our country.

I agree with you 100% Panther. We are moved to tears when we here of even one death of a soldier from Virginia. To have that many men from one community lost all at once, had to be unimaginably difficult to endure. God Bless all that have served, all that now serve, and the families of those that sacrifice so much to keep us safe.

I do not know of a close relative that was part of the D-Day invasion, but my father-in-law was part of the forces that pushed inland.

He was involved in the Battle of St. Lo that began on July 3, 1944. I encourage you to Google this battle to appreciate the ferocity and utter devastation that occurred.

I don't know how many days it was into the battle when he was wounded. What we do know was that his platoon was hit by enemy artillery fire. Only he and one other member of his platoon survived.

My father-in-law woke up in a hospital in Great Britain 24 days later. For decades afterwards, shrapnel would work its way around in his body and have to be surgically removed.

Ultimately, his most deviating injury was what we now call PTSD. He lived a productive life, but struggled with alcoholism until his untimely death from a heart attack on Christmas Eve, 1978.

Reactions: mike salem
DP , so nice of you to remind us of such a tough day in America history , my own grandfather was there that day along with 13 members of his unit and was the only person to survive barely with his body full of shrapnel . I forgot you were so old ( really old ) to remember that day. Thanks very much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT