ADVERTISEMENT

Is falling down traveling?

Feb 27, 2009
Sometimes I've seen officials hesitate to call a traveling violation when someone falls to the floor and doesn't maintain his dribble; or dives for a lose ball and slides across the floor. What is the rule on falling down and not maitaining your dribble.

If the player doesn't have control of the ball, there is no violation. You can slide as far you can on the floor,as long as you don't roll over or try to get up with the ball.

a player/ball on the floor, makes the "blocking/charge" debate look like an easy call to make.

Seems pretty cut and dry. It is traveling if the player falls to the floor while holding the ball or falls down after being airborne to catch a pass or control a rebound.

It appears by what I read on the rules, that a player can dribble his way from the floor, I always thought that was a no-no.

Related question. Can you place a hand on the floor to keep from falling and then return to standing position or is the hand leaving the floor considered travelling?

I seem to recall that years ago, anytime a player with ball, whether dribbling or holding it , fell down, traveling was called.

Holding ball and falling down: travel Dribbling and (continuing to dribble while) falling: legal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT