ADVERTISEMENT

Is Riverheads The Greatest 1a Dynasty Of All Time?

Making playoffs in any division is not that hard. It's what you do once you get there. Galax was 6-4 in 2015 and won 1A. Blacksburg was 5-5 in 2016 and won 4A. To get to the championship 3 years in a row and win 2 is pretty good, but look at all the teams (4) that did a 3-peat this year, that's awesome.

Several people think 1A is weak/down. I am not sure why people think this. Any of you care to let us know why it's down?

Anytime someone makes a statement along those lines, I would take it to mean that 1-A, or Class One as they call it these days, is not as strong, or "weak" if you choose to use that word, just because the schools are smaller than the ones in the other classes. So in other words, HR 6 and others mean that it is weak by comparison, not weaker than it used to be itself.

Same thing as the college ranks...You would expect an Alabama or an Ohio State to have a stronger football team than a Bridgewater or Hampden-Sydney. So in this case,I think they just mean that Class 6 should be stronger than Class 5, and so on down the line.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Several people think 1A is weak/down. I am not sure why people think this. Any of you care to let us know why it's down?

In August, one could have probably named 2 or maybe 3 schools that would be in Salem come September, and be a threat to take home the trophy. Same goes for next year. There are several good teams in 1A, but good teams don't win state championships. Great teams do. there is a difference.

Anytime someone makes a statement along those lines, I would take it to mean that 1-A, or Class One as they call it these days, is not as strong, or "weak" if you choose to use that word, just because the schools are smaller than the ones in the other classes. So in other words, HR 6 and others mean that it is weak by comparison, not weaker than it used to be itself.

Same thing as the college ranks...You would expect an Alabama or an Ohio State to have a stronger football team than a Bridgewater or Hampden-Sydney. So in this case,I think they just mean that Class 6 should be stronger than Class 5, and so on down the line.

@longtimerhsfan, you know you are my favorite Gladiator, but you got something wrong here, it's THE Ohio State :)

In August, one could have probably named 2 or maybe 3 schools that would be in Salem come September, and be a threat to take home the trophy. Same goes for next year. There are several good teams in 1A, but good teams don't win state championships. Great teams do. there is a difference.

HR6, you do realize that one could say the same thing about basically all 6 classes?

The SAME team has won the State Title THREE times in a row in 6A, 5A, 4A, and your 2A.

I don't think that means 1A is down. I think you could've said the same thing for several classes above 1A. 4A comes to mind as being one everyone thinks is the most competitive. I tend to agree but many people would've probably picked Salem as the favorite to win it all and they did. Does that mean 4A is down? I don't believe so.
Heck in 6A the same 2 teams have met in the championship game for 3 straight years. Don't believe that 6A is down.
Just my opinion though

I don't think that means 1A is down. I think you could've said the same thing for several classes above 1A. 4A comes to mind as being one everyone thinks is the most competitive. I tend to agree but many people would've probably picked Salem as the favorite to win it all and they did. Does that mean 4A is down? I don't believe so.
Heck in 6A the same 2 teams have met in the championship game for 3 straight years. Don't believe that 6A is down.
Just my opinion though

I dont know what the word would be, down isn't it. There were also circumstances that took a few top teams out, but maybe the right word is not a lot of parity or top heavy. I would think there maybe 6 teams at beginning who people were really high on. I think 3a was about the same or maybe even less. 2a was loaded this year with good to great teams, and even a few who had off years weren't nearly as bad as their records.

4a is the most competitive class, with as many as 10+ having a chance or looking like real contenders this year. Don't know as much about 5 and 6, but seems like a lot of teams were really good.

What Riverheads has done is great. There is no reason to quantify it by saying 1a or weak or whatever. They are playing in the class they are in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT