ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson District

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
I just wanted to make a note on how well they did this year.

Albemarle is about to win Region 5D, a region with Stafford, North Stafford, Brooke Point and Harrisonburg. They'll take a 26-1 record to states.

Louisa came up short against Hugeunot, but finished 22-4 with non district wins over Eastern View and Wakefield, along with giving Albemarle its only loss of the season.

Western Albemarle's only losses came to the two teams mentioned above plus St. Anne's Belfield. They won Region 3C, a region with Spotswood, Rustburg, and Heritage (Lynchburg).

Charlottesville finished 12-13, but 8 of those losses came to the teams mentioned above, along with a tough out of district slate with Harrisonburg, and James Monroe. Beat the 3 seed out of 4D Bassett before losing to EC Glass and also beat Jefferson Forest before Jordan Richeson got there.

Last edited:
I just wanted to make a note on how well they did this year.

Albemarle is about to win Region 5D, a region with Stafford, North Stafford, Brooke Point and Harrisonburg. They'll take a 26-1 record to states.

Louisa came up short against Hugeunot, but finished 22-4 with non district wins over Eastern View and Wakefield, along with giving Albemarle its only loss of the season.

Western Albemarle's only losses came to the two teams mentioned above plus St. Anne's Belfield. They won Region 3C, a region with Spotswood, Rustburg, and Heritage (Lynchburg).

Charlottesville finished 12-13, but 8 of those losses came to the teams mentioned above, along with a tough out of district slate with Harrisonburg, and James Monroe. Beat the 3 seed out of 4D Bassett before losing to EC Glass and also beat Jefferson Forest before Jordan Richeson got there.
BKP, do you think WA has a shot against Northside?

BKP, do you think WA has a shot against Northside?

They gotta take care of business against Hidden Valley first, but I think it's a possibility. They're typically a solid rebounding and defensive team, but I think no matter how good you are defensively Northside is going to score points, so I think it comes down to if Western can hit the 3 and keep pace with Northside offensively. They usually live and die by the 3, and it worked for them against Spotswood, they hit seven 3s in the first half. McGahren is gonna get his shots, and their bigs are gonna get their boards. I think Western has to hit at least eight 3s to win, but they've shown they're capable of that.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I know that kid, Deven Russell can really shoot the trey. Who is the stud for W. Albermarle?

That's the thing...there are a couple on any given night. I'd say Chris McGahren is their staple, he can really shoot it and is their offensive go to guy. There's also Jed Strickland (10ppg, 6 rpg) and Tommy Mangrum (11.5ppg, 6rpg). Mangrum hit the game winner vs Hidden Valley. I'd say overall Western spreads the wealth offensively very nicely.

Last edited:
Here's the Timesland preview:

Northside Vikings

Coach: Bill Pope

Probable starters: F Kasey Draper (6-4, junior, 17.9), F Cameron O’Conner (6-5, senior, 8.0), F Julien Wooden (6-7, junior, 19.7), G Nick Price (6-1, senior, 10.3), G Devon Russell (5-11, junior, 6.3).

Tournament history: Vikings are in state semifinal for fourth consecutive year and 11th time overall. ... Lost 51-41 to I.C. Norcom last year in Group 3A championship game. ... Also lost in state final in 1967, 1992 and 1995.

How they got here: Northside defeated Christiansburg, Cave Spring and Hidden Valley to win Region 3D tournament. ... Ousted Spotswood 72-47 in quarterfinal Friday at Patrick Henry.

Season summary: Set single-season school record for wins. ... Won first 10 games by more than 30 points. ... Defeated North Carolina private-school runner-up Greenfield 74-68.

Fast facts: Price and Wooden topped the 1,000-point mark for their careers this season. ... Pope has 511 career victories at Northside.

Western Albemarle Warriors

Coach: Darren Maynard

Western Albemarle probable starters: F Teo Rampini (6-3, senior, 8.0), F Tommy Mangrum (6-3, sophomore, 11.0), F Jed Strickland (6-3, senior, 10.0), G Chris McGahren (6-3, senior, 12.0), G Garrett Payne (6-6, sophomore, 10.0).

Tournament history: Warriors’ only previous trip to state semifinals was in 1998. ... Western Albemarle lost in 3A quarterfinals in 2016 and 2017.

How they got here: Defeated Broadway (65-40), Rustburg (52-22) and Spotswood (58-45) to win Region 3C title. ... Advanced with 46-44 quarterfinal win over Hidden Valley on Saturday at Albemarle H.S.

Season summary: Lost three times to Class 5 Albemarle, twice to Class 4 Louisa County, and once to St. Anne’s-Belfield. ... Defeated Region 4D semifinalist Charlottesville three times.

Fast fact: Maynard’s brother, Greg, is the head coach at Jefferson District rival school Albemarle. ... Western graduated all-time leading scorer Ryan Ingram, who is averaging 6.1 points per game at Division III Swarthmore (Pa.).

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT