ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson Forest Field

What is this thing about turf? I'd go grass anytime. Did you know that FIFA does not allow men's Football (soccer) games on turf fields? DOES NOT ALLOW! Just found this out today, by the way. The USA's Women's program has filed suit to do the same. There's a reason. Just sayin'.

I'm still working on this turf vs grass thing. Football goes back and forth but Soccer and Lacrosse National Orgs clearly hate it. More work to be done from Orthopedic standpoints. Gotta' get a concenses here but as of right now, I have nothing but opposing AMA studies. Plenty of players hatred documented though. More to come.
I get why schools opt to have turf from a financial perspective, it's cheaper in the long run as maintenance is very little. I know some coaches and players like turf because it eliminates the issue of field conditions. Personally, I think football should be played outside (no domes) on a grass field...that's just me. I'm more of a traditionalist though

N
In that case, it would probably be City Stadium in Lynchburg or Brookville. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being Liberty University, most of JF's coaches have ties to LU as do a lot of the families in Forest. I hope they do win just to see where the semi-final game would be played.
Not sure if that would be allowed since the State game is being played there, other schools could say it was unfair advantage. Just thinking out loud

Reactions: OCBoy
I was wondering if you were close enough to the needed capacity to rent bleachers, but that doesn't appear possible. Plus, from the picture above, the slop doesn't look like it would permit temporary bleachers.

We had to rent some at least once, as I recall. But the home field side has been remodeled since then. I can't recall exactly what our capacity is, but it's well over 3500. And that will increase eventually with the replacement of the press booth. Of course, another state championship would help speed this up. But, alas, Hanover derailed that little endeavor.

It looks like a change of venue is inevitable. But where?
Assuming JF gets past a very good Woodgrove team...In that case, it would probably be City Stadium in Lynchburg or Brookville. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being Liberty University, most of JF's coaches have ties to LU as do a lot of the families in Forest. I hope they do win just to see where the semi-final game would be played.

LU would be hard to get on short notice
I don't think it would be too difficult to get. Williams stadium isn't used for anything except LU and LCA football games and seeing how neither of them are still playing, I doubt it would be difficult at all. Especially with the connections that the JF staff has with LU. Plus, it is free promotion for Liberty.

N

Not sure if that would be allowed since the State game is being played there, other schools could say it was unfair advantage. Just thinking out loud
That thought crossed my mind too but then I remembered that LCA competed as a member of the vhsl 4A West region and played every home game there

Hey Wikki. Question. You've seen Salem and JF. What are your thoughts if this matchup occurs?
A couple weeks ago I was picking Salem and probably still do. But if I based it in this Friday's game, I would pick JF. Amherst could not stop the passing game and we didn't have our starting QB. But against JF we couldn't stop their run and JF couldn't stop our run game but Salem did. I think Forest is playing better now. Several fans were not so impressed with Salem Friday. I think Salem played better in our first matchup with them. If they both meet each other the passing game will win it so I will go with Salem to beat JF. Could be a high scoring game though. JF's defense is subpar so again the edge goes to Salem.

I don't think it would be too difficult to get. Williams stadium isn't used for anything except LU and LCA football games and seeing how neither of them are still playing, I doubt it would be difficult at all. Especially with the connections that the JF staff has with LU. Plus, it is free promotion for Liberty.
It is the matter of getting all the workers, concessions, etc on short notice and it is a holiday week

City Stadium in Lynchburg is a parking nightmare. Brookville's stadium is not a lot better than J/F's. Liberty U. would be the best for everyone involved. Guess we will just have to wait till the games are played and let the Heiarchy in Charlotesville make the call.
Brookville's stadium is much nicer than JF especially the bathroom and bleacher situation

Th
It is the matter of getting all the workers, concessions, etc on short notice and it is a holiday week
The original post was in reference to the semi-final game, which isn't until the first weekend in December. Not Thanksgiving weekend.

Reactions: wikki
A couple weeks ago I was picking Salem and probably still do. But if I based it in this Friday's game, I would pick JF. Amherst could not stop the passing game and we didn't have our starting QB. But against JF we couldn't stop their run and JF couldn't stop our run game but Salem did. I think Forest is playing better now. Several fans were not so impressed with Salem Friday. I think Salem played better in our first matchup with them. If they both meet each other the passing game will win it so I will go with Salem to beat JF. Could be a high scoring game though. JF's defense is subpar so again the edge goes to Salem.
That's about my thoughts. Salem would be able to do enough to slow down the JF offense sufficiently to out score them. The JF defense is not Good enough to slow Salem and their balance. Spartans will roll all night on them.

Of course, both have an obstacle to overcome before that happens. Your boys were good this year. They had some special games. I hate to hear some of the things people say about the team and their Coach. They look to be in the right direction. Fine season from my point of view. Thanks for being such a great supporter and one of the only ones I can believe when it comes to evaluating a team.

That's about my thoughts. Salem would be able to do enough to slow down the JF offense sufficiently to out score them. The JF defense is not Good enough to slow Salem and their balance. Spartans will roll all night on them.

Of course, both have an obstacle to overcome before that happens. Your boys were good this year. They had some special games. I hate to hear some of the things people say about the team and their Coach. They look to be in the right direction. Fine season from my point of view. Thanks for being such a great supporter and one of the only ones I can believe when it comes to evaluating a team.

Shauntclair I think that could be a tough call. I have always believed that a good defense will beat a good offense so I believe Salem will win based on that and on their tradition. I feel that Salem knows how to win big games. They have been there before. However, the JF backs are very good and their offense is dangerous. If they meet it should be a great game.

I also agree with you on the turf thing. I do not like the artificial stuff. Never did. Football should always be played outside on natural grass. It bothers me that the Big 10 championship game will be played inside. I grew up in Pennsylvania and remember Pitt and Penn State playing in snow. Loved it. I think of all the places that they could play that game like in Chicago, Cleveland Green Bay etc. I also feel that field goals should not be automatic like they seem to be in a controlled climate from 50 plus yards out. Make that team drive for a winning field goal or TD because the wind should be a factor. It makes the game so much more exciting. And that is how I feel the game should be played.

What is this thing about turf? I'd go grass anytime. Did you know that FIFA does not allow men's Football (soccer) games on turf fields? DOES NOT ALLOW! Just found this out today, by the way. The USA's Women's program has filed suit to do the same. There's a reason. Just sayin'.

I'm still working on this turf vs grass thing. Football goes back and forth but Soccer and Lacrosse National Orgs clearly hate it. More work to be done from Orthopedic standpoints. Gotta' get a concenses here but as of right now, I have nothing but opposing AMA studies. Plenty of players hatred documented though. More to come.

Soccer players don't like turf because they don't have the protective clothing football players do and they get absolutely torn apart on it. The argument against turf for soccer players has nothing to do with injury potential(in the sense of an increase in disabling knee/ankle-type injuries) but rather because it's unforgiving to slide on(a key part of soccer), harder to fall on(an inevitable part of soccer), and can get much hotter than grass in the summer(temperatures in Canada for this past Women's World Cup reached 120-130 degrees on the field).

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Soccer players don't like turf because they don't have the protective clothing football players do and they get absolutely torn apart on it. The argument against turf for soccer players has nothing to do with injury potential(in the sense of an increase in disabling knee/ankle-type injuries) but rather because it's unforgiving to slide on(a key part of soccer), harder to fall on(an inevitable part of soccer), and can get much hotter than grass in the summer(temperatures in Canada for this past Women's World Cup reached 120-130 degrees on the field).

I never really thought of the difference that way. That's an excellent explanation.

I was wondering if you were close enough to the needed capacity to rent bleachers, but that doesn't appear possible. Plus, from the picture above, the slop doesn't look like it would permit temporary bleachers.

We had to rent some at least once, as I recall. But the home field side has been remodeled since then. I can't recall exactly what our capacity is, but it's well over 3500. And that will increase eventually with the replacement of the press booth. Of course, another state championship would help speed this up. But, alas, Hanover derailed that little endeavor.

It looks like a change of venue is inevitable. But where?
That hill is even too steep to put a lawn chair on we tried it last year and it wasn't comfortable. The top was the best. We lined from one end to the other about 2-3 rows deep

I appreciate that feedback. I won't dispute any of the soccer player issues. Sliding is certainly an issue and turf is much harder to fall on. The bases it needs to be installed on, above all things, must sustain it's form over time. Kind of like a pool table. Not as hard as that but hard enough to sustain it's form over the standard 10 year warranty period. But do not football players hit the ground? Surely, more bodies hit the ground in 15 minutes of Football than they do in Soccer? Elbows and knees are often unprotected in Football. It's rug burn central.

Also, part of the Women's lawsuit with FIFA includes recovery time. They contend a game played on grass are leg recovered in 24 hours. Games played on turf are 48 - 72 hours. Still contention at this point but all interesting stuff I've been looking at.

The temperatures of turf fields in the summer is a very serious concern. I have seen (and felt) that problem.

Reactions: VolNation85
Relax guys they will not move the game I can promise you that . People bring there chairs and sit them up all away around the bowl . You can easily fit another thousand around the big bowl . But I can promise you they will not move the venue .

The reason behind J/F getting the turf field was over use. The field is used for a lot of soccer and little league football. The field stayed a muddy mess year round. I guess the FIFA Soccer deal has a lot more money than Bedford Co. to not have to play on turf fields.

Relax guys they will not move the game I can promise you that . People bring there chairs and sit them up all away around the bowl . You can easily fit another thousand around the big bowl . But I can promise you they will not move the venue .
I hope they don't, JF should be allowed to play at home, but the requirements has nothing to do with being able to out chairs on a bank. It is seating and facilities. The restroom alone at JF is the worst I have ever seen. I have seen many games in the past move the game because the venue did not meet standards

They may not move it, I know how the game is played. But there is no question that the VHSL regulations say "minimum seating capacity for 3500" and "the seating shall be permanent or portable". I guess you can make an argument that a lawn chair is a portable bleacher.

Also, State-Semi final games require a minimal of four restroom stalls, two per gender. That, I'm sure you have now. (Doesn't everyone think that is a ridiculously low number for 3500 fans?). Of course, restroom issues are easily resolved with porta-johns. And if I am correct, at least one shall be handi-cap accessible.

One thing good may come out of this for JF, the authorities should see the need and move forward with new seating and restroom renovations. Winning sure helps that cause.

Shoot, I'd be happy if Clarke County would have warm water to wash my hands with! I know the men's room has 4 stalls, 2 sinks, and no hot water and hardly ever any soap. I don't think they clean them very often either.

I can promise you per vhsl if they make it to the semis it will be moved

They may not move it, I know how the game is played. But there is no question that the VHSL regulations say "minimum seating capacity for 3500" and "the seating shall be permanent or portable". I guess you can make an argument that a lawn chair is a portable bleacher.

Also, State-Semi final games require a minimal of four restroom stalls, two per gender. That, I'm sure you have now. (Doesn't everyone think that is a ridiculously low number for 3500 fans?). Of course, restroom issues are easily resolved with porta-johns. And if I am correct, at least one shall be handi-cap accessible.

One thing good may come out of this for JF, the authorities should see the need and move forward with new seating and restroom renovations. Winning sure helps that cause.
The two bathrooms they have for visitors is only two for each gender and no latches on the doors, so you have to ask someone to hold it for you

I agree.

Unless they are providing chairs for 3500 people (Even then it probably wouldn't matter) there is no chance they will have the game at home.

Reactions: OCBoy and wikki
The reason behind J/F getting the turf field was over use. The field is used for a lot of soccer and little league football. The field stayed a muddy mess year round. I guess the FIFA Soccer deal has a lot more money than Bedford Co. to not have to play on turf fields.
If money had a thing to do with the decision not to use turf, there would be zippy grass ar FIFA games. No sport makes more money than Soccer.

That hill is even too steep to put a lawn chair on we tried it last year and it wasn't comfortable. The top was the best. We lined from one end to the other about 2-3 rows deep

Yeah, I bet that was a challenge with the chairs. Maybe they should pass out trenching shovels to dig a trench for the rear legs.

I'm really surprised that the amenities at this school are so deficient. I had this vision of the JF area as being wealthy to the point that at least decent restrooms were mandatory. That's sure does not seem to be the case.

Yeah, I bet that was a challenge with the chairs. Maybe they should pass out trenching shovels to dig a trench for the rear legs.

I'm really surprised that the amenities at this school are so deficient. I had this vision of the JF area as being wealthy to the point that at least decent restrooms were mandatory. That's sure does not seem to be the case.
I put this place on the same level as Oranges porterfield park. I too was shocked last year before going to the EV game in which I was lucky enough to have been warned on here to bring a chair. Then when all the same fans went back down for Liberty it was a learning experience and more chairs were brought

Forest is a wealthy area. Besides the football stadium, the school is practically brand new as they got a complete remodel about 5 years ago. I think the reason that the football facilities are bad and out of date is because, until last season, JF hadn't really won anything in football since 93-94? championship. I'm sure at that time the facilities met requirements. Now that they have had two undefeated regular season in a row, I bet the facilities will start to be upgraded.

Reactions: OCBoy
There are a lot of big homes in the Forest area. Lot of big payments. Most people in that area could care less about J/F sports. Another problem for J/F getting more bleachers is they are tied in with Liberty High and Staunton River. A local contractor offered to install concrete bleachers a few years ago at no charge and the school board said no.

There are a lot of big homes in the Forest area. Lot of big payments. Most people in that area could care less about J/F sports. Another problem for J/F getting more bleachers is they are tied in with Liberty High and Staunton River. A local contractor offered to install concrete bleachers a few years ago at no charge and the school board said no.
My understanding is that a major donor made that field possible and think about one of their assistant coaches is a former NFL player

People are referencing field turf because JF is the home team and that would be an ideal turf for them to play on

People are referencing field turf because JF is the home team and that would be an ideal turf for them to play on
Amherst allowed teams in the past to use their field to practice on before games

is the JF/ Woodgrove game tomorrow night being played at Sabre Stadium or have they moved it to city Stadium in Lynchburg?

ADVERTISEMENT