ADVERTISEMENT

JM wins...ok..lets hear it!!

Book this is a garbage win, VHSL definitely needs to step up and do their job, I have no problem with Ty White building a top Prep program nationally but don't do it through the public schools. If wants to recruit Richmond Metro and build a powerhouse I'm even cool with that but getting kids from other states and other parts of VA is garbage. He got my city looking weak.

Reactions: mbonape1
JM averaged 86 ppg and gave up 49 ppg....Freedom football this past season averaged 63 ppg and gave up 10 ppg...comparable or not? I don't have a dog in the race...just throwing it out there to make conversation....bored sitting behind this computer at work.lol

JM averaged 86 ppg and gave up 49 ppg....Freedom football this past season averaged 63 ppg and gave up 10 ppg...comparable or not? I don't have a dog in the race...just throwing it out there to make conversation....bored sitting behind this computer at work.lol
I think the difference is the make up of the team. JM has players from multiple states like a private prep program.

I’m more impressed with what Lancaster did with a bunch of homegrown players.

Don't get me wrong, I said if no rules or policies are being violated at jm then so be it. But with all the complaints coming from class 2 people it wouldn't surprise me if vhsl started to change or alter some policies eventually or at least looking to some things but don't hold your breath on it. If kids are coming from other states and parts of va .

Don't get me wrong, I said if no rules or policies are being violated at jm then so be it. But with all the complaints coming from class 2 people it wouldn't surprise me if vhsl started to change or alter some policies eventually or at least looking to some things but don't hold your breath on it. If kids are coming from other states and parts of va .
I’ll just say this…if Madison ever does what JM is doing, I’m not following and supporting that. I’d rather lose with ours than win with somebody else’s, if you know what I mean.

My question is why would JM even want to play in the Class 2 division? I know they don't want to be Class 2. It does nothing for them for recruiting or improving. why wouldn't they go find a national tourney that will offer them similar competition?

My question is why would JM even want to play in the Class 2 division? I know they don't want to be Class 2. It does nothing for them for recruiting or improving. why wouldn't they go find a national tourney that will offer them similar competition?
From what I'm hearing they will be playing in the National HS basketball playoffs.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
That's the vhsl rules they have a class 2 enrollment but that's why they schedule top schools out of state and some in state schools that are good.

From what I'm hearing they will be playing in the National HS basketball playoffs.
How can a small school, or any pubic school for that matter, pay for such a schedule? We are lucky to be able to find the funds to pay bus drivers for our local games.

Can someone explain how a public VHSL member school can exceed the 22 regular season game limit? Once those 22 games are played, aren’t VHSL teams limited to district, region and state tournament only?

Because Nike and other hidden money and sponsorship can afford it. How do you think kids from out of state get funding, housing, transportation to go there? It's that same money. Ty White has so many connections to recruiters, sponsors, agents that it's not funny. I don't even have a problem with the above. I got a problem with the VHSL letting them play Class 2 in Basketball.

How can a small school, or any pubic school for that matter, pay for such a schedule? We are lucky to be able to find the funds to pay bus drivers for our local games.

Can someone explain how a public VHSL member school can exceed the 22 regular season game limit? Once those 22 games are played, aren’t VHSL teams limited to district, region and state tournament only?
I looked they only played 22games before playoffs so they are within the rules

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Because Nike and other hidden money and sponsorship can afford it. How do you think kids from out of state get funding, housing, transportation to go there? It's that same money. Ty White has so many connections to recruiters, sponsors, agents that it's not funny. I don't even have a problem with the above. I got a problem with the VHSL letting them play Class 2 in Basketball.
I agree with all of this. From what I was told VHSL is keeping them in 2A. I believe they would play up if given the chance.

That's the way I understood it.

Agree, It is a competitive advantage to be allowed to recruit and play against public schools. They should be forced to play up or not participate in VHSL playoffs, if they want to be in the national spotlight, let them play in that tourney.

That's not going to happen they are going to stay in class 2 regardless on how much talent they have. There enrollment is for that group, vhsl has set it up that way. It's not about all the talent at jm it's about rules and policies in place .

That's not going to happen they are going to stay in class 2 regardless on how much talent they have. There enrollment is for that group, vhsl has set it up that way. It's not about all the talent at jm it's about rules and policies in place .
You are right. This is not a JM issue. It’s a VHSL issue.

If the state police let me drive 80 mph but limits others to 65 mph, that ain’t my issue…

Reactions: toughy299 and gwb16
The people who make and right the rules can change the rules in a 24 hour period. Not that difficult to do. We could argue all day as to what the VHSL will do or won't do, but we all know what they should do. They should be playing in hoops in a higher classification.

You are right. This is not a JM issue. It’s a VHSL issue.

If the state police let me drive 80 mph but limits others to 65 mph, that ain’t my issue…
That's true and in some cases, there are certain vehicles, occupations, drivers that can go well over 80 and laws and rules, exceptions are in place for them to do so. This is the VHSLs issue, and they have the ability to make the rule, exceptions or JM to play in a higher class if they want to.

On swva board I read where VHSL allowed two small schools in SWVA in the same county to combine and play together on the same football team years ago due to low numbers. They let them compete just like any other school. This is against the rules. The VHSL simply adjusted the rules, made another rule that allowed this exception. It can be done.

This is the twitter for the national tournament "The Throne"

I think the idea is that the teams will technically be playing as clubs ("Justices", "Queens Royals", and so on), kind of like the "Border League" that is held in Vegas in the fall, but we'll see how that flies with the state associations.

The people who make and right the rules can change the rules in a 24 hour period. Not that difficult to do. We could argue all day as to what the VHSL will do or won't do, but we all know what they should do. They should be playing in hoops in a higher classification.
Then those schools in higher classifications will complain about the unfair advantage. It’s hard for VHSL to fight a players relocation. If they have a valid address what is VHSL suppose to say?

Reactions: CHUKNOW
This is article from the Richmond Times Dispatch talking about the national high school prep tournament that JM has been invited to. I want to see how JM will fair against top high schools in the country.

JM has already defeated multiple nationally ranked high school teams this year and beat Dematha. They are the real deal!

Reactions: gwb16
JM has already defeated multiple nationally ranked high school teams this year and beat Dematha. They are the real deal!
Dematha is not a good test to judge how real JM is, Paul VI beat Dematha 3x this year and one of those losses were by 43 points. JM only beat Dematha by 7. Now JM did beat the Boozer twins team this year and Columbia which are 2 good national teams. I would have like to see JM play Paul VI this year because it would have been a great game and a good measuring stick. If JM accepts the invite to the National High school prep tournament I will be rooting for them.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
JMs football team would loose to about 75% of the teams in SW Virginia.
And 100% of the teams in Richmond Metro. North Richmond has some really good talent but because they don't take the football program seriously a lot of their kids don't play football or transfer to other nearby schools. They didn't even have a jv team this year.

JM has pulled some strings to get 5 titles since 2014. Great for them. Yet the rest of city school athletics continue to be neglected. And it's not just football.

Apart from JM’s 5 titles, the city’s 5 high schools have a combined 1 state championship in any sport in nearly 40 years: 2015 George Wythe boys basketball.

You have to go all the way back to 1984 during the Jefferson-Huguenot-Wythe era for the next championship in any sport in the city. Not to mention the two longest football losing streaks in state history are owned by city schools (GW-68, TJ-53).

Local admin should honestly reflect on the current state of affairs. One team ranked #1 in the nation with all the attention. Yet most other teams in the city have barely been relevant in decades. Would be nice to see investments in facilities and youth programs to actually see some authentic success in the city and not just wait for an AAU program to come knocking.

Then those schools in higher classifications will complain about the unfair advantage. It’s hard for VHSL to fight a players relocation. If they have a valid address what is VHSL suppose to say?
You are still focused on the "how." I wrote about the VHSL and the "why." Why the VHSL should make them compete up in Hoops. The VHSL doesn't need to prove out of state or in state addresses. The VHSL,in a 60 minute meeting, can say John Marshall is elite in basketball and we are going to have them play in Class 6, and it's that simple.

You are still focused on the "how." I wrote about the VHSL and the "why." Why the VHSL should make them compete up in Hoops. The VHSL doesn't need to prove out of state or in state addresses. The VHSL,in a 60 minute meeting, can say John Marshall is elite in basketball and we are going to have them play in Class 6, and it's that simple.
So appease class 2 at the expense of class 6. That’s a band-aid on the real problem. VHSL has to find a way to limit the revolving talent transfers. Whether that be with transfer limitations, delayed eligibility, etc. I can hear it now, “JM has only 400 students, they’re not eligible for our classification”.

Best take I’ve heard on all of this. For years and years, JM was well under the old Triple A enrollment cutoff, but was allowed to play with the big boys. The VHSL allows teams to play field hockey/lacrosse in cross divisions, they should allow JM to play up in basketball.

28A-7-1 TRANSFER RULE-The student shall not have enrolled in one high school and subsequently transferred to and enrolled in another high school without a corresponding change in the residence of his/her parents, parent, or guardian. The original residence must be abandoned as a residence, that is sold, rented or otherwise disposed of as a residence, and must not be used as a residence by the immediate family. The entire family must make the change and take with them the household goods and furniture appropriate to the circumstances. The change must be made with the intent that it is permanent. The sending and receiving VHSL school principals are required to complete and file the VHSL Transfer Form, acknowledging that to the best of their knowledge the student has met all aspects of the transfer rule or its exceptions. Home instruction does not constitute enrollment in a public school. Home schooling is a process through which Virginia Code compulsory education requirements may be met, as is private schooling. Home schooling is the equivalent of school enrollment for Transfer Rule purposes, and determining whether the student has met Scholarship Rule requirements of having passed five academic subjects recognized by the Virginia Department of Education in the most recent prior semester.

28A-7-1 TRANSFER RULE-The student shall not have enrolled in one high school and subsequently transferred to and enrolled in another high school without a corresponding change in the residence of his/her parents, parent, or guardian. The original residence must be abandoned as a residence, that is sold, rented or otherwise disposed of as a residence, and must not be used as a residence by the immediate family. The entire family must make the change and take with them the household goods and furniture appropriate to the circumstances. The change must be made with the intent that it is permanent. The sending and receiving VHSL school principals are required to complete and file the VHSL Transfer Form, acknowledging that to the best of their knowledge the student has met all aspects of the transfer rule or its exceptions. Home instruction does not constitute enrollment in a public school. Home schooling is a process through which Virginia Code compulsory education requirements may be met, as is private schooling. Home schooling is the equivalent of school enrollment for Transfer Rule purposes, and determining whether the student has met Scholarship Rule requirements of having passed five academic subjects recognized by the Virginia Department of Education in the most recent prior semester.
If the above would be enforced it would help greatly. I know multiple schools in the Roanoke Valley that have had kids transfer without the family moving to a new address. Usually they just claim a new address but don't move. Some will claim an address that doesn't even have a livable house or they stay with a friend in the district they transfer to. All the VHSL would have to do would be investigate & they would see. I even heard a player in an interview on TV (Kid signed D1) say he stayed with a friend & thank the friend & his family for letting him stay. Transfers are really hurting high school sports as a whole & not just the JM situation.

This rule seems to put the responsibility on the principle to vet any transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT