ADVERTISEMENT

JR @ Radford round IV

Am I wrong? Isn't this the second or so year of the coach at JR and did every JR player come up together thru the JR systen? Not saying they did anything wrong at all, just that it could be one reason why JR came from almost outta nowhere to a final four team.
Not wrong pretty special group with all five starters going to eventually play a sport in college. Should be solid next year but after that could be trouble. I’m hearing JR might drop back to 1A, not sure about timing.

Not wrong pretty special group with all five starters going to eventually play a sport in college. Should be solid next year but after that could be trouble. I’m hearing JR might drop back to 1A, not sure about timing.
Yea I hear numbers are dropping them to 1a in a couple years, pending VHSL approval, have also heard of VHSL changing to 4 instead of 6 classes, they can’t seem to leave things alone. On a different note has anyone heard anything on all district/region teams? I’m sure it’s still early for the state nominations but I haven’t heard or seen anything on the rest.

Yea I hear numbers are dropping them to 1a in a couple years, pending VHSL approval, have also heard of VHSL changing to 4 instead of 6 classes, they can’t seem to leave things alone. On a different note has anyone heard anything on all district/region teams? I’m sure it’s still early for the state nominations but I haven’t heard or seen anything on the rest.

Cormany always has a plan, that’s why Radfords program is the success that it is. I don’t always agree with his actions and often just laugh at and with him at times, but to lose to a team by 35 points on early February and beat that same team twice in a span of 2 weeks tells you all u need to know. Wouldn’t surprise me if he pulled a damn rabbit out of a hat in Richmond 🤞
Thing is with Cormany is pushes his players as hard as he pushed the refs. I know a story from a couple years when Radford went 30-0 that Cormany locked the team out of the gym because they had a lack of effort. That's him. This is nowhere near Radford's most talented team yet here they are. They play great defense. I watched the down at Bristol vs Graham. Graham had 4 points midway thru the 3rd quarter. 4 points!!! By the way congrats to JR nothing to be sad about. Sometimes you don't want to see either team lose.

Last edited:
These are 16,17 and 18 year old kids that gave the best effort they could on both sides of the ball. They are going to make mistakes. Go look at the pictures from the Roanoke Times, look at the player hugging his coach. That is raw and real emotion. There are kids on both sides last night that have worked their butts off to have the chance to play in a meaningful game with the electricity that was in the building. Let’s celebrate that today. A lot of things could have happened but it didn’t. Radford won and JR lost. To the comments about transfers and connections. I’m not sure you have all the facts.
How is he wrong about transfers & connections? Not sure you have all the facts either.

Am I wrong? Isn't this the second or so year of the coach at JR and did every JR player come up together thru the JR systen? Not saying they did anything wrong at all, just that it could be one reason why JR came from almost outta nowhere to a final four team
The Easton twins transferred from Alleghany to JR two years ago and people want to assume they were recruited by JR.

Guys, let's be fair and honest and realistic. Union, Radford, and James River are all so close that it's a razor thin margin. If each school plays the other 100 times, 95 out of 100 games are going to be with a few points in margin of victory. I'm glad my Bobcats came out on top when considering all 3 programs, but Union or JR could have easily been that team in the finals because the difference this year between all 3 teams is basically zero. Sadly, if James River or Union makes the title game and plays John Marshall, they are losing by 30 plus points. Radford had made the title game instead of JR and Union. We are also losing by 30 plus points.

Thing is with Cormany is pushes his players as hard as he pushed the refs. I know a story from a couple years when Radford went 30-0 that Cormany locked the team out of the gym because they had a lack of effort. That's him. This is nowhere near Radford's most talented team yet here they are. They play great defense. I watched the down at Bristol vs Graham. Graham had 4 points midway thru the 3rd quarter. 4 points!!! By the way congrats to JR nothing to be sad about. Sometimes you don't want to see either team lose.
That's a true story on locking them out. This season, he stopped practice due to lack of effort and sent them home early. He has also kicked individuals out of practice. There are kids that love him for that and some that won't play for him because they know the rules and don't want to comply. The best athlete in the school isn't playing this season and while there are probably many reasons why, I would bet playing for Cormany is one of them. I was worried when he got the technical against JR, that it would cause the team to slump because he wasn't up yelling and guiding them.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
If there is one thing that got Radford barely over the hump against James River/Union, it was Radford's defense. Credit Coach Cormany of course who is about as good as they come in Virginia High School Hoops, but watching Radford against a team like Greenbrier East or against James River the second time where they beat us by 30 plus points, it was the defense that was very much improved by the end of the season. The defense showed flashes from game one, but had those moments of let down. They had the defensive side of ball absolutely dialed in by season's end, and if there is any one thing that got Radford over the hump past JR/Union out of the West, it was Radford's defensive improvements imo.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
The Easton twins transferred from Alleghany to JR two years ago and people want to assume they were recruited by JR.
I am in no way pretending to know all the facts, I've just heard rumblings about how JR became a legit final four team almost instantly. Kids move all the time, if a school gets a new coach and a couple kids move to the area, boom you go from average to great and it doesn't mean anything nefarious necessarily

Most districts and regions will not release teams until the final team is done. If JR and Radford in same district (I can't keep all the district's straight), no teams will be released until state title game. If not, the district list should be there soon.

Most districts and regions will not release teams until the final team is done. If JR and Radford in same district (I can't keep all the district's straight), no teams will be released until state title game. If not, the district list should be there soon.
JR released theirs on twitter. Easton was Region POY (but not district for some reason), 1st team district and region. Clevinger was 1st team district and region. C. Easton and Steger were 2nd team on both. haven't seen any others yet.

JR released theirs on twitter. Easton was Region POY (but not district for some reason), 1st team district and region. Clevinger was 1st team district and region. C. Easton and Steger were 2nd team on both. haven't seen any others yet.
So the regional POY isn’t even his own districts POY?

So the regional POY isn’t even his own districts POY?
I'm sure it has happened before but I don't remember it. I thought he deserved it for the district also. Its disappointing how political some of these things can get. seems like the stats should speak for most of it.

Reactions: UdoIT
I'm sure it has happened before but I don't remember it. I thought he deserved it for the district also. Its disappointing how political some of these things can get. seems like the stats should speak for most of it.
Bingo....

Yea I had heard about the possible politics, damn shame adult coaches act like 2 yr olds when it comes to some things involving players.

• Love
Reactions: UdoIT and VAHoops11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT