ADVERTISEMENT

JR @ Radford round IV

OnceAKnight

VaPreps Varsity
Jan 24, 2011
I hear it was sold out by Monday am, should be a good one with both teams healthy and on a couple days rest.

Which team matches up with JM best? Probably neither, but who would have a shooters chance? AKA go off on 3 bombs. JR is an older team and that may lean to their favor. Radford is better coached. I am not sure that will matter against JM. I would be interested to see how Cormany would try to play them. Tall ask.

Both teams rely on good defense as much as offense and both can light up the 3 ball. Hoping whichever team plays them makes them earn every point they get. Obviously JM will be favored with the roster they have but who knows. JR beat ER early in the season and beat Radford on their own court by 35, Radford has a great veteran coach who knows how to win and uses his players wisely. Either might make for an interesting game at VCU

Which team matches up with JM best? Probably neither, but who would have a shooters chance? AKA go off on 3 bombs. JR is an older team and that may lean to their favor. Radford is better coached. I am not sure that will matter against JM. I would be interested to see how Cormany would try to play them. Tall ask.
From what I’ve seen, JM will press the whole game(regardless of score!). That not only speeds up the opponents offense, it also tires opponents out when it’s time to play defense. The front line of the press/first pass stands 6’6, 6’4, 6’. You have to break the press, get into an offensive set, then go play lock down defense for 32 minutes. Brutal stuff.

Oh then the bench players come in and don’t miss a beat.

From what I’ve seen, JM will press the whole game(regardless of score!). That not only speeds up the opponents offense, it also tires opponents out when it’s time to play defense. The front line of the press/first pass stands 6’6, 6’4, 6’. You have to break the press, get into an offensive set, then go play lock down defense for 32 minutes. Brutal stuff.

Oh then the bench players come in and don’t miss a beat.
And only one starter is a senior. Two are sophomores and 2 juniors.

Cormany is high strung. He was giving the refs Hell on Friday night.

Once again, VERY HARD to watch game on NFHS with the constant video stream interruption!

Tough loss for JR....

Compared to what I saw against Union the other night, they seemed a little gun shy to take the outside shot at times

Also missed free throws killed them.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
State 2A Boys Basketball semifinals Radford 49 James River 47 Final 2 ot

What a game! Have nothing but utmost respect for JR. I agree w/ pizzzzza, FT, which they normally are very good at cost them. Cannot believe Easton missed those last two, but even at that, Steiger had a good look at that last 3 and I thought it was going in. Great season for JR. Congrats to Radford

Tough loss for JR....

Compared to what I saw against Union the other night, they seemed a little gun shy to take the outside shot at times

Also missed free throws killed them.
I think it was more a lack of shots than taking them, Clevenger is a pretty darn good outside shooter, I can’t understand him not shooting when he got looks. His first couple years he never hesitated when offered a 3 especially uncontested.

Always does, some refs do not deal w it
33-32 JR after 3
IMO that ref missed a really bad call and deserved the a$$ chewing and should have taken it and moved on. we have had him for many playoff games now and he is one of the worse ones we see. He actually missed a travel in regulation where he specifically told the JR player that he had to hold his spot out of bounds and then the player proceeded to take 2 steps to the right and then 2 to the left and didn't call it. Cormany may have said something he shouldn't have but he had to protect his player on that one.

Last edited:
I think the difference again was substitution. JR used only one sub for the entire game. Radford used 4 subs. There is no way a player can go an entire game on that full college court. Those misses at the end both free throws and the 3 were because of tired legs. And why wouldn't you have players to try to rebound free throws. yes you expect Easton to make them but if someone would have been in position there is a good chance they would have gotten that rebound.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
I think the difference again was substitution. JR used only one sub for the entire game. Radford used 4 subs. There is no way a player can go an entire game on that full college court. Those misses at the end both free throws and the 3 were because of tired legs. And why wouldn't you have players to try to rebound free throws. yes you expect Easton to make them but if someone would have been in position there is a good chance they would have gotten that rebound.
Exactly, coaching was biggest difference in this game. JR got 3-4 on bench that can defend and 1 really good rebounder. Couple minutes here or there for a couple kids could have made a big difference at the end. Leaving a free throw lane open is absurd idc how much confidence u got in the shooter. Good luck to Radford against JM I’m hoping it’s respectable, won’t be for lack of coaching whatever happens.

IMO that ref missed a really bad call and deserved the a$$ chewing and should have taken it and moved on. we have had him for many playoff games now and he is one of the worse ones we see. He actually missed a travel in regulation where he specifically told the JR player that he had to hold his spot out of bounds and then the player proceeded to take 2 steps to the right and then 2 to the left and didn't call it. Cormany may have said something he shouldn't have but he had to protect his player on that one.
Wish some other coaches were as passionate about their players, he definitely stands up for his

From the 2 games that I have seen in the past few weeks, I agree. He certainly does protect and stand up for his players.

Are tix being sold by Go Fans for the Richmond games?

First off, congratulations to JR on an incredible season. As I was "OnceAKnight", I remember it being a long time since the community, program, and students have felt this excitement and experienced this success. I am not dumb enough to believe these type of teams come around often. Last night's game was an amazing high school basketball game to watch and experience. The great fans, the great teams, the great student sections, the atmosphere - that's all what high school sports is about.

Second, congratulations to Radford. They are great team and will to be reckoned with for the next few years with their young group just as they have been the program to beat in the region for the last 20 years or so.

Third, I don't write on these message boards a lot and I honestly don't know why I am giving this keyboard warrior the time of day but, speaking on behalf of JRHS alum we don't acknowledge "OnceAKnight". Not sure what this guy has against the program or the coach but, to come on a message board and talk negative about the program, team, coach, or players after reaching the state tournament for the first time in ELEVEN years says all you need to know about his thoughts and fanhood. The fact JR is even being discussed on this message board in the month of March is an incredible blessing and positive sign of things trending upward as an alum.

I am sure if JR's last 3P shot goes in, the nonsense "passion" talk changes tune to how the "passion" of Cormany's Technical cost them the game because that gave JR some points on Free Throws. Now I am also not dumb enough to believe that but, comments like that along with OnceAKnight's comments are the typical thought processes of these keyboard warriors that don't spend evenings, weekends, and holidays in the gyms or film rooms with these teams.

The fact is these were two very talented teams and sometimes the stars do or don't align for one of the teams on a given night. Take into account Radford banked in two 3P shots and another banked in top of key midrange jumpshot - while JR had a few go in and out down the stretch - that's sports and life. Players and coaches on both sides, and officials all make mistakes throughout the course of a game. Radford made more plays and earned their trip to the title game. Best of luck to those guys and hoping they represent well.

- Proud JR Alum that was "OnceAKnight"
OAK is always very fair, you're just being a weenie. You know why this is JRs first trip in 11 years? A new coach with some connections and transfers. Pretty simple.

sounds like playing such a draining game at Union then having to play a gritty, but tough well coached Radford team had them worn out. JR and Union had similar issues with depth. Play very few kids, 6-7 deep at most

I don’t claim to be a keyboard warrior and I’m sorry if I ruffled your feathers, I’ve been to almost Every regional and state game JR basketball has ever played in and several hundred regular season games. I’ve praised and defended them on multiple occasions and I’ve seen a lot of basketball in that time. I enjoy watching them as much as any other fan and I understand these type teams aren’t near as common at JR as some schools. Sorry if u think I’m downing anything, especially any student athletes. I respect each and every one of them and if my saying one needs to shoot more is viewed as disrespectful then I apologize. JR has a young coach who IMO made some mistakes by not using his bench to give the starters a possible brief and much needed break, and not contesting possible rebounds on free throws when the game is on the line, hopefully he is learning as he goes. JR had their chances to win unfortunately the shots didn’t fall for them as the did last week, as for some other things we can agree to disagree as far as I’m concerned. It was a great 🏀 season for JR and I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited:
I don’t claim to be a keyboard warrior and I’m sorry if I ruffled your feathers, I’ve been to almost Every regional and state game JR basketball has ever played in and several hundred regular season games. I’ve praised and defended them on multiple occasions and I’ve seen a lot of basketball in that time. I enjoy watching them as much as any other fan and I understand these type teams aren’t near as common at JR as some schools. Sorry if u think I’m downing anything, especially any student athletes. I respect each and every one of them and if my saying one needs to shoot more is viewed as disrespectful then I apologize. JR has a young coach who IMO made some mistakes by not using his bench to give the starters a possible brief and much needed break, and not contesting possible rebounds on free throws when the game is on the line, hopefully he is learning as he goes. JR had their chances to win unfortunately the shots didn’t fall for them as the did last week, as for some other things we can agree to disagree as far as I’m concerned. It was a great 🏀 season for JR and I’ll leave it at that.
Don't sweat it, every fanbase has one or two guys who get offended if you dare say anything that isn't overly positive.

How would Union have matched up with Radford? Do they Cats have anyone like 22 or 24 that has good length to defend Bunch? I'm sure Cormany had a plan for either team.

First off, congratulations to JR on an incredible season. As I was "OnceAKnight", I remember it being a long time since the community, program, and students have felt this excitement and experienced this success. I am not dumb enough to believe these type of teams come around often. Last night's game was an amazing high school basketball game to watch and experience. The great fans, the great teams, the great student sections, the atmosphere - that's all what high school sports is about.

Second, congratulations to Radford. They are great team and will to be reckoned with for the next few years with their young group just as they have been the program to beat in the region for the last 20 years or so.

Third, I don't write on these message boards a lot and I honestly don't know why I am giving this keyboard warrior the time of day but, speaking on behalf of JRHS alum we don't acknowledge "OnceAKnight". Not sure what this guy has against the program or the coach but, to come on a message board and talk negative about the program, team, coach, or players after reaching the state tournament for the first time in ELEVEN years says all you need to know about his thoughts and fanhood. The fact JR is even being discussed on this message board in the month of March is an incredible blessing and positive sign of things trending upward as an alum.

I am sure if JR's last 3P shot goes in, the nonsense "passion" talk changes tune to how the "passion" of Cormany's Technical cost them the game because that gave JR some points on Free Throws. Now I am also not dumb enough to believe that but, comments like that along with OnceAKnight's comments are the typical thought processes of these keyboard warriors that don't spend evenings, weekends, and holidays in the gyms or film rooms with these teams.

The fact is these were two very talented teams and sometimes the stars do or don't align for one of the teams on a given night. Take into account Radford banked in two 3P shots and another banked in top of key midrange jumpshot - while JR had a few go in and out down the stretch - that's sports and life. Players and coaches on both sides, and officials all make mistakes throughout the course of a game. Radford made more plays and earned their trip to the title game. Best of luck to those guys and hoping they represent well.

- Proud JR Alum that was "OnceAKnight"
I disagree with your opinion on OneAKnight, I enjoy reading his posts, simply because he speaks the truth. He had to have been at the PM @ JR game or watched it NFHS (atrocious last night) because he saw what I saw, and I was there, I keep PM score book. PM dominated 1st half and JR dominated the 2nd. He gave props to Coach Humphries that game and even stated that he thought the game at PM would be different, that JR would win big, they did.
I am a diehard PM fan, and I didn’t get upset that he said that, Im a fan, a parent of a player and i love discussing HS sports.
AND I think he was spot on in his recollection of last nights game, FT and not playing some of his bench hurt down the stretch, and the fact Clevenger was having to bring the ball up the court and play TREMENDOUS defense for FOUR quarters wore him out. I am not a Coach, not a keyboard warrior, but if he would have given a couple guys a breather just before end of each quarter would have been beneficial, not saying it would have changed the outcome.

OnceAKnight, keep posting, keep on keeping it real, and I for one enjoy the friendly banter!!!

How would Union have matched up with Radford? Do they Cats have anyone like 22 or 24 that has good length to defend Bunch? I'm sure Cormany had a plan for either team.
Cormany always has a plan, that’s why Radfords program is the success that it is. I don’t always agree with his actions and often just laugh at and with him at times, but to lose to a team by 35 points on early February and beat that same team twice in a span of 2 weeks tells you all u need to know. Wouldn’t surprise me if he pulled a damn rabbit out of a hat in Richmond 🤞

These are 16,17 and 18 year old kids that gave the best effort they could on both sides of the ball. They are going to make mistakes. Go look at the pictures from the Roanoke Times, look at the player hugging his coach. That is raw and real emotion. There are kids on both sides last night that have worked their butts off to have the chance to play in a meaningful game with the electricity that was in the building. Let’s celebrate that today. A lot of things could have happened but it didn’t. Radford won and JR lost. To the comments about transfers and connections. I’m not sure you have all the facts.

These are 16,17 and 18 year old kids that gave the best effort they could on both sides of the ball. They are going to make mistakes. Go look at the pictures from the Roanoke Times, look at the player hugging his coach. That is raw and real emotion. There are kids on both sides last night that have worked their butts off to have the chance to play in a meaningful game with the electricity that was in the building. Let’s celebrate that today. A lot of things could have happened but it didn’t. Radford won and JR lost. To the comments about transfers and connections. I’m not sure you have all the facts.
Am I wrong? Isn't this the second or so year of the coach at JR and did every JR player come up together thru the JR systen? Not saying they did anything wrong at all, just that it could be one reason why JR came from almost outta nowhere to a final four team.

Reactions: VAHoops11
Cormany always has a plan, that’s why Radfords program is the success that it is. I don’t always agree with his actions and often just laugh at and with him at times, but to lose to a team by 35 points on early February and beat that same team twice in a span of 2 weeks tells you all u need to know. Wouldn’t surprise me if he pulled a damn rabbit out of a hat in Richmond 🤞
In 2020, Cormany really worked some magic after the half in half state game. Union in dec ent control first hakf, third quarter comes and he adjusts and then it's a nip and tuck game til the very end. No offense to ER or their HC, but they never adjusted or has any urgency when they got down early. Radford absolutely did and if Rasnick doesn't hit a huge three, Radford maybe wins that game then beats ER (although they didn't have as much length to throw against Nickel but Union guarded him with smaller guards for most of the game to avoid Bunch getting foul trouble).

Reactions: Fairlawncat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT