ADVERTISEMENT

JR/Radford

Game should have never been decided from the line, turnovers killed JR. Radford had a plan and stuck to it, Coaching was the biggest factor in that game, 22 trying to do too much, JR forcing shots and were just frustrated by Radfords defense, just wasn’t our night.

Reactions: VAHoops11
Radford was without their lead scorer and we are talking about fouls. Wow.. Thought you were better than that.

Toughy299,
Not taking anything away from Radford they won the game and earned the victory but 16ft to 4ft makes a difference. I thought the last one with 1.3 was tough but I need to see it again. Good luck next week.

I believe Radford won the glass, the turn overs, and definitely the coaching and the fouls. They maintained their composure in tough situations when JR didn’t and deserved to win but officiating in general has gotten hard to watch sometimes. Inconsistent on so many things. I hope the Radford player gets to return to the court and for a rematch which I think is possible. Numbers don’t lie though, I got a problem when they don’t get called when they should.

Numbers can lie. How? Take Virginia Tech basketball this year. At one point in the season they were last in the ACC In free throw attempts. First reaction is… why are they not getting the foul calls? Reality is, they shoot a crap ton of 3’s’ and not putting themselves in situations to be fouled and go to the line. I am not saying that is what happened this game, but numbers do lie. And posting a number and speaking it as fact isn’t telling the whole story. The best part about a region championship is you get to play again. I’d be more concerned with the other things mentioned. Rebounding, turnovers, etc. scoring 40 in this type of game isn’t going to cut it moving forward. Time to represent region c and maybe there will be a rematch.

Reactions: toughy299 and TS69
What happened with Radford's leading scorer? Good luck to both teams moving forward.

What happened with Radford's leading scorer? Good luck to both teams moving forward.
Not sure, looked like he maybe done something to a knee in warmups, wound up wrapped w “ice” before game started hopefully nothing more than a strain/sprain and he gets back to his team before next game.

Reactions: AntGZee
Numbers can lie. How? Take Virginia Tech basketball this year. At one point in the season they were last in the ACC In free throw attempts. First reaction is… why are they not getting the foul calls? Reality is, they shoot a crap ton of 3’s’ and not putting themselves in situations to be fouled and go to the line. I am not saying that is what happened this game, but numbers do lie. And posting a number and speaking it as fact isn’t telling the whole story. The best part about a region championship is you get to play again. I’d be more concerned with the other things mentioned. Rebounding, turnovers, etc. scoring 40 in this type of game isn’t going to cut it moving forward. Time to represent region c and maybe there will be a rematch.
Absolutely correct. Can’t change it, learn from it and get better. Still 2 games away just got to man up and fix a couple things. Goal still in site for everyone.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
That's what James River did early. They attacked the paint. Early on they got foul calls. Radford as a whole don't get a lot of foul calls against them. Cormany teaches a defense that is discipline but not a lot of fouls. Quite a few people on this board (funny how they are quiet now) didn't give Radford a chance at full strength let alone minus a leading score. When James River got called for a 3 second violation that changed the way the attacked the paint. That was the difference of the game.

That's what James River did early. They attacked the paint. Early on they got foul calls. Radford as a whole don't get a lot of foul calls against them. Cormany teaches a defense that is discipline but not a lot of fouls. Quite a few people on this board (funny how they are quiet now) didn't give Radford a chance at full strength let alone minus a leading score. When James River got called for a 3 second violation that changed the way the attacked the paint. That was the difference of the game.
Can’t ever count out Radford, great program

Toughy299,
Not taking anything away from Radford they won the game and earned the victory but 16ft to 4ft makes a difference. I thought the last one with 1.3 was tough but I need to see it again. Good luck next week.
Steger definitely pushed Prioleau. a tough call to make at the end of the game. How does the smallest guy on the court get the rebound.

Toughy hit a great point about teaching defense the right way. Radford opponents often try to do what we do but it isn't taught the right way. We see it often. Cormany will spend whole practices just on defense.

I watched the game again and THE difference was coaching and specifically substitutions. Radford played 8 players(normally 9 with Clark). JR played 5 and barely a 6 and 7th. I had JR with 13 turnovers and most of the 7 in the second half were 4th qtr. Tired passes that were stolen with good defensive positions. Several of the late fouls by JR were tired fouls. With playing on back to back days, that's what got JR. I think there is a good chance of a rematch and I'm not sure the outcome will be the same with a rested JR team.

Correct I think it will be on home floor. Everyone understands what VHSl has done now they are in control? I’m hearing schools are only getting 250 tickets. Will be max of 500 people. What a shame if this is true

Correct I think it will be on home floor. Everyone understands what VHSl has done now they are in control? I’m hearing schools are only getting 250 tickets. Will be max of 500 people. What a shame if this is tru
Can’t ever count out Radford, great program
They got a really good coach who expects the same 110% from the 1st man to the last man on the bench, and he uses his bench. I’ve said all season JR needs to use the bench more. Cormany really works the officials and stands up for his players that was another big difference imo, seasoned veteran on the bench vs basically a freshman coach. Experience is a great asset in close games.

Correct I think it will be on home floor. Everyone understands what VHSl has done now they are in control? I’m hearing schools are only getting 250 tickets. Will be max of 500 people. What a shame if this is true
I can’t believe VHSL that dumb. Guess got enough money salted away to cover their salaries. Mask mandates lifted. Case counts down. Where is the justification for 500 limit. Someone needs to wake up.

Will there be a capacity limit in Richmond? I certainly hope not?

Proud of my Cats. Almost like 2 wins as we got the W, but it forces JR to go to Union and we get the opening home game over a team we beat. Gigantic win for Radford.

Trying to confirm but I think so.
No limits set as of yet that anyone is aware of in Richmond but it is the VHSL. Strange how the regular season and region tournament had no restrictions that I’m aware of but the state tournament may be different

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT