REG B: KING GEORGE VS VARINA

REG C: TUSCARORA VS CHAMPE

REG D: SALEM VS MILLBROOK

A VS B: PHOEBUS VS VARINA
C VS D: TUSCARORA VS SALEM

FINAL: PHOEBUS VS SALEM

WINNER: COIN FLIP

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I wouldn’t count Dinwiddie out!! Their losses are to a phenom team, Glenville, and the best team in 5a played gave them all they wanted in the first half. Thomas Dale, an undefeated 6A team, it was Dinnwiddies to win but plagued themselves with turnovers. They are gonna be dangerous with that kind of experience under their belt come playoffs.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
GROUP 4A FINAL 8

REG A: PHOEBUS VS WARHILL

REG B: KING GEORGE VS VARINA

REG C: TUSCARORA VS CHAMPE

REG D: SALEM VS MILLBROOK

A VS B: PHOEBUS VS VARINA
C VS D: TUSCARORA VS SALEM

FINAL: PHOEBUS VS SALEM

WINNER: COIN FLIP
@Touchdown-tony you gotta call the winner too!

Think A/B is too strong for C/D this year but Phoebus vs Salem would be an elite defensive matchup, few points scored by either team.

Also, not a believer just yet in Tuscy. Think they're kinda squeaking by some mid teams. Champe looks better at this point of the season imo.

Lot depends on health, little luck, Phoebus and salem loaded with college talent. Would be b worth the $ of admission. Big plays and no defensive breakdowns will win this one. Score....wow..... let's go with salem 17_ 14. Today probably change in 3 weeks

Reactions: mbonape1
tyler labine pooping GIF by HULU

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

@BoKnowsSports, I know you have seen most of the top teams in Class 4 play and have a strong opinion on who you think are the top dogs. Are you "poking the bear" (Phoebus), because you have concerns about their offense or do you see something else?

Defense wins championships and Phoebus has a very good one. In fact, of the teams I have seen live and on video the Phantoms have the best D in class 4. People can say Phoebus hasn't played anyone, but if you know football, you know good when you see it.

I know @mbonape1, likes people to throw their cards down, so I am going to do so, but in a different way. Please note this is just my opinion based on live and video observations.

Top 5 Class 4 Defenses:

1. Phoebus
2. Varina
3. Salem
4. Tuscarora
5. Glass

Top 5 Class 4 Offenses:

1. King George
2. Dinwiddie
3. Warhill
4. Salem
5. Huguenot

Top 5 Class 4 Overall (Right now)

1. King George (Most balanced, very good passing game).
2. Phoebus (8 total points given up, limited offense).
3. Salem (Sound defense, good running game).
4. Varina (Very good defense and with average offense).
5. Dinwiddie (Best balanced running game, good run defense with average pass defense).

Honorable Mention: Tuscarora, John Champe, Glass, Millbrook, Huguenot, and Warhill.

@BoKnowsSports, I know you have seen most of the top teams in Class 4 play and have a strong opinion on who you think are the top dogs. Are you "poking the bear" (Phoebus), because you have concerns about their offense or do you see something else?

Defense wins championships and Phoebus has a very good one. In fact, of the teams I have seen live and on video the Phantoms have the best D in class 4. People can say Phoebus hasn't played anyone, but if you know football, you know good when you see it.

I know @mbonape1, likes people to throw their cards down, so I am going to do so, but in a different way. Please note this is just my opinion based on live and video observations.

Top 5 Class 4 Defenses:

1. Phoebus
2. Varina
3. Salem
4. Tuscarora
5. Glass

Top 5 Class 4 Offenses:

1. King George
2. Dinwiddie
3. Warhill
4. Salem
5. Huguenot

5. Dinwiddie (Best balanced running game, good run defense with average pass defense).

Honorable Mention: Tuscarora, John Champe, Glass, Millbrook, Huguenot, and Warhill.
Navy, you’re way more humble about your team than most. Dinwiddie has played 4 state championship contenders so far.. Still have Mataoca left. Varina will play 3 and King George may be the most talented team in C4 from top to bottom. I have no doubts that Phoebus is good but (and you don’t have to answer) who have they beaten? Glass and Salem have both played a harder schedule than Phoebus. Give Varina, Dinwiddie and Salem that schedule and they’re given up 8 or less points too. I agree they have some studs on the defensive side but so does Varina. I’d argue that they’re better from top to bottom. Completely shut down the state’s best team in the second half and haven’t given up a TD since and their offense have been way more dominant than Phoebus.

Navy, you’re way more humble about your team than most. Dinwiddie has played 4 state championship contenders so far.. Still have Mataoca left. Varina will play 3 and King George may be the most talented team in C4 from top to bottom. I have no doubts that Phoebus is good but (and you don’t have to answer) who have they beaten? Glass and Salem have both played a harder schedule than Phoebus. Give Varina, Dinwiddie and Salem that schedule and they’re given up 8 or less points too. I agree they have some studs on the defensive side but so does Varina. I’d argue that they’re better from top to bottom. Completely shut down the state’s best team in the second half and haven’t given up a TD since and their offense have been way more dominant than Phoebus.
Massey ratings:

Phoebus (4)
King George (11)
Varina (12)
Dinwiddie (13)
Salem (14)
4 of those teams are going to eliminate each other down to one. So that point is mute. Phoebus vs Salem. Let the cards fall where they may

Top 5 Class 4 Defenses:

1. Phoebus
2. Varina
3. Salem
4. Tuscarora
5. Glass

Top 5 Class 4 Offenses:

1. King George
2. Dinwiddie
3. Warhill
4. Salem
5. Huguenot

I like it Navy! I think I would have overall:

Varina
Phoebus
KG
Salem
Dinwiddie

This is how I think they should be ranked but not necessarily how I think things will shake out. That is a diff discussion.

@BoKnowsSports i hear you and you made some valid points. My estimation is you are stating who you think the best teams are verses how they should be ranked. At this point I do think the B teams are slightly ahead of the region A and D team. I know, big surprise opinion from me. Yet, Phoebus is undefeated, played who they played, and Only giving up 8 points is insane no matter how you slice it. Also, maybe the most storied program of the bunch. When I look at Salem, they way the elevate during the playoffs any early slips on banana peels is almost irrelevant. I do think Varina is the best team but I don’t know if they can beat Dinwiddie head to head as strange as that sounds. I am pretty confident Salem will be in the finals. They have some big play athletes. I’ll take Varina over Salem in the final but reserve the right to change my pics as more evidence reveals itself.

4 of those teams are going to eliminate each other down to one. So that point is mute. Phoebus vs Salem. Let the cards fall where they may
@Touchdown-tony you have repeated your prognostication numerous times, but offer little or no evidence to support it. I am very respectful of the Salem tradition, talent, and your opinion however, when the Spartans start playing the big boys in the region, semis, and finals you better have a passing game.

Salem has proven they can play with and beat the teams east of Lynchburg in the finals (Lake Taylor, Louisa, and Dinwiddie) and they have the talent to do so again. Damn shame we couldn't mix up the semis and let D play B and A play C. Would love to see the Salem defense against King George/Dinwiddie offense or the Spartan offense against the Varina defense. Hope one of the Region B contenders get a shot.

I think its mean the way that Phoebus DE keeps body slamming people on their heads.

I like it Navy! I think I would have overall:

Varina
Phoebus
KG
Salem
Dinwiddie

This is how I think they should be ranked but not necessarily how I think things will shake out. That is a diff discussion.

@BoKnowsSports i hear you and you made some valid points. My estimation is you are stating who you think the best teams are verses how they should be ranked. At this point I do think the B teams are slightly ahead of the region A and D team. I know, big surprise opinion from me. Yet, Phoebus is undefeated, played who they played, and Only giving up 8 points is insane no matter how you slice it. Also, maybe the most storied program of the bunch. When I look at Salem, they way the elevate during the playoffs any early slips on banana peels is almost irrelevant. I do think Varina is the best team but I don’t know if they can beat Dinwiddie head to head as strange as that sounds. I am pretty confident Salem will be in the finals. They have some big play athletes. I’ll take Varina over Salem in the final but reserve the right to change my pics as more evidence reveals itself.

@mbonape1, I have King George #1, because they are the most complete team. I will admit my lack of knowledge of the teams in Region C, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that very few teams will be able to employ a defensive to stop the King George receivers. Yes, the Phoebus, Varina, and Salem defenses are stingy and capable; however, can their offenses match the Foxes score for score?
To date, they haven't proven they can.

Salem and Dinwiddie for that matter with their proven ball control rushing games have the best shot at exploiting the KG run game defense. It's all about matchups. Phoebus reminds me of the Ray Lewis led Ravens that won the Super Bowl, so I will not count them out. They will win ugly and that's all that counts in the playoffs.

I think its mean the way that Phoebus DE keeps body slamming people on their heads.
@MaroonDude you are on some good stuff, but you keep me in tears. 😂 Bet that mean old defense couldn't do that to the Spartan JV!

Edit: I have come to the conclusion that @MaroonDude is extremely intelligent and thoroughly enjoys torturing people with his wit. Man, we need more like him. Never takes things too serious. God bless you!

Last edited:
@mbonape1, I have King George #1, because they are the most complete team. I will admit my lack of knowledge of the teams in Region C, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that very few teams will be able to employ a defensive to stop the King George receivers. Yes, the Phoebus, Varina, and Salem defenses are stingy and capable; however, can their offenses match the Foxes score for score?
To date, they haven't proven they can.

Salem and Dinwiddie for that matter with their proven ball control rushing games have the best shot at exploiting the KG run game defense. It's all about matchups. Phoebus reminds me of the Ray Lewis led Ravens that won the Super Bowl, so I will not count them out. They will win ugly and that's all that counts in the playoffs.
@MaroonDude I could go there with you on KG but I just have to see them do it first, which to date, they haven’t quite gotten over the hump. They have the best receiving core in class 4 IMO. Potentially in the state period

Three Stooges Face Palm GIF
@Touchdown-tony you have repeated your prognostication numerous times, but offer little or no evidence to support it. I am very respectful of the Salem tradition, talent, and your opinion however, when the Spartans start playing the big boys in the region, semis, and finals you better have a passing game.

Salem has proven they can play with and beat the teams east of Lynchburg in the finals (Lake Taylor, Louisa, and Dinwiddie) and they have the talent to do so again. Damn shame we couldn't mix up the semis and let D play B and A play C. Would love to see the Salem defense against King George/Dinwiddie offense or the Spartan offense against the Varina defense. Hope one of the Region B contenders get a shot.
@MaroonDude I could go there with you on KG but I just have to see them do it first, which to date, they haven’t quite gotten over the hump. They have the best receiving core in class 4 IMO. Potentially in the state period

@mbonape1, did you get into some of @MaroonDude stash? I posted that message. 😂. I get your point, but King George has proven they can win the big game. They defeated a good Monacan team in the Region B final in the spring of 2021. I saw the Foxes up close and personal in the region finals last year and they are dangerous.

Halfway through the season and everyone still has the same top 5(maybe different orders at this point).

May be a hot take but if Varina scores over 28 tonight against Glen Allen I would take them serious. If they score under 28 I'm willing to write them off. Not going to win playoff games with 0 run game.

Last edited:
Halfway through the season and everyone still has the same top 5(maybe different orders at this point).

May be a hot take but if Varina scores over 28 tonight against Glen I would take them serious. If they score under 28 I'm willing to write them off. Not going to win playoff games with 0 run game.
Very solid point @GoBlue2109. I am also interested in seeing if Varina can slow down the Glen Allen offense. I think they will which leads me to believe this may be a low scoring game. I think the key factor is the solid Varina receivers against the young and improved Jaguar secondary.

Reactions: GoBlue2109
Very solid point @GoBlue2109. I am also interested in seeing if Varina can slow down the Glen Allen offense. I think they will which leads me to believe this may be a low scoring game. I think the key factor is the solid Varina receivers against the young and improved Jaguar secondary.
Might be a little blind faith at this point but Varina defense has been so consistent the last couple of years I don't even worry about them now.

You don’t think Warhill is a threat at all?
Possibly DP. It’s just hard to go against a team who’s been battletested. Varina and Dinwiddie will play the hardest schedule in C4 and both teams will play team just as good as Phoebus during the regular season/playoffs. Phoebus won’t get that luxury.

May be a hot take but if Varina scores over 28 tonight against Glen Allen I would take them serious. If they score under 28 I'm willing to write them off. Not going to win playoff games with 0 run game.
Varina will score over 28 tonight. People don’t realize, they have the personnel, just haven’t found a consistent way to get the ball to all of their playmakers.

Very impressive 1st half by GA. The defense is legit. The offense has made just enough plays so far. Varina let up a busted play early and then tightened up. Varina ffense had 1 good drive but has been stalling otherwise. Same story with the run game. Fun 2nd half coming up. 13-7 Glen Allen up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT