ADVERTISEMENT

King William 80 Mathews 6 Final

We have the conversation every year about whether or not they run it up on these tidewater teams but my question is what allows them to be so much better every year?
I know they are 2A but other districts have bigger schools and the 2As don't dominate year in and out. Last year's WP game was the closest I remember and that WP team went on to make a little playoff noise.
Are other sports that lopsided in the tidewater?

I wonder if its because they have 300 more kids than any school in the tidewater. King William saw what that's like last week against Warhill but i will say King William looked good at times against Warhill

From what I was told, KW starters didn't play past the 1st quarter. Reserves played the final 3 quarters. I'm friends with a lot of their staff and have nothing but respect for them.

Reactions: DukeNation804
From what I was told, KW starters didn't play past the 1st quarter. Reserves played the final 3 quarters. I'm friends with a lot of their staff and have nothing but respect for them.
I agree with that statement because the score from halftime is about the same it just is a total blow for the small schools and the morale losing that bad but I give major props to these teams to play them every year

Reactions: kwhs95fan
The other team’s job is to stop them. Yeah, it “looks bad”, but schools that are that inept should adjust their scheduling if it hurts their feelings to lose like that.

If KW’s backups are that much better, that’s just how that goes. I’d respect the coaches far less for telling their backups to lay down and stop trying. Much more disrespectful to the other team.

If KW’s backups are that much better, that’s just how that goes. I’d respect the coaches far less for telling their backups to lay down and stop trying. Much more disrespectful to the other team.

I hear what you're saying. I just completely disagree. They dont have to lay down and stop trying. But coach and players know how to take the gas off the pedal. Our JV fb team took the gas off the pedal recently, and there are teams that my daughter could physically hurt some of the VB opponent's with spike. But her and her teammates take their foot off the pedal because the players know. Their opponents know, the coaches know, the fans know, the refs know.

I don’t blame King William , Matthew’s could of thrown in the towel and just stopped play all at once , I’m quite sure KW has some backups who work hard in practice and never see plenty of game action they deserve to enjoy the game also.

Reactions: WP02alum
One thing that I know is that Coach Kelly will play his full schedule no matter who the opponent is. When we last spoke his head is still high and he is instilling life lessons into his kids. He has a great coaching staff around him. Mathews has been down for so many years and regardless of their scores against the top teams, his kids will play hard each and every game. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the win these last 3 regular season games. King William can’t help that Mathews fumble 3 out of the first 4 times they touched the ball. Mathews has a young team for the most part and within the next two years, we will see that program rise.

I hear what you're saying. I just completely disagree. They dont have to lay down and stop trying. But coach and players know how to take the gas off the pedal. Our JV fb team took the gas off the pedal recently, and there are teams that my daughter could physically hurt some of the VB opponent's with spike. But her and her teammates take their foot off the pedal because the players know. Their opponents know, the coaches know, the fans know, the refs know.

I get what you are saying, but it's a lot easier to hold back in volleyball. To me, purposely not scoring would be the equivalent in football would be hitting into net on purpose, just letting balls hit the floor, etc. You hate it for the opponent in these type games, but there is a good chance this type thing is the only way some of the kids get to score.

I can't say I ever agree with the line of thinking of it's the other teams responsibility to stop them. While true, its not just as simple as that, overmatched is overmatched

I get what you are saying, but it's a lot easier to hold back in volleyball. To me, purposely not scoring would be the equivalent in football would be hitting into net on purpose, just letting balls hit the floor, etc. You hate it for the opponent in these type games, but there is a good chance this type thing is the only way some of the kids get to score.

I can't say I ever agree with the line of thinking of it's the other teams responsibility to stop them. While true, its not just as simple as that, overmatched is overmatched

Your first paragraph agreed with me. Your second one hedges. I don’t understand.

Your first paragraph agreed with me. Your second one hedges. I don’t understand.

I don't think it does. I don't think you hold back with backups in, although unfortunate for the weaker team. But that doesn't mean that I agree that its necessarily right to say "teams job to stop it". That is true, but its not like they aren't trying to

Reactions: WP02alum
Get rid of these asinine split districts and make KW play in a 2A/3A district. It's a joke that they have to do this year in and year out against their district teams. It doesnt help them a bit beating up on these 1A schools. Once again, STEP UP VH$L!

Last edited:
Reactions: kw85
Get rid of these asinine split districts and make KW play in a 2A/3A district. It's a joke that they get to do this year in and year out. It doesnt help them a bit beating up on these 1A schools. Once again, STEP UP VH$L!
There is no way to get rid of split districts without having long travel times. Never going to happen. Riverheads plays in a district with all 2A and 3A schools. They are the only 1A in their district. For them to play all 1A would require huge travel times since there are no 1A schools close.

I don’t think you kneel down on every play but I think there are things you can do to like using the whole 25 seconds to snap the ball run some straight forward plays. The reserves practice just as hard as starters let them play but at a slow pace

There is no way to get rid of split districts without having long travel times. Never going to happen. Riverheads plays in a district with all 2A and 3A schools. They are the only 1A in their district. For them to play all 1A would require huge travel times since there are no 1A schools close.

There are 1A schools close to Riverheads but they all suck. Bath, PM and Covington leave a lot to be desired when compared to who the Gladiators currently play.

KW wouldn't have that much more travel. They need a district with, Poquson, NK, Bruton, JM, TJ & GW. Just my opinion.

Yea thats what I'm thinking, and I'm sure the gate would be larger and the schools would give them more competition which is something KW needs to prepare them for the postseason.

I don’t think you kneel down on every play but I think there are things you can do to like using the whole 25 seconds to snap the ball run some straight forward plays. The reserves practice just as hard as starters let them play but at a slow pace

They dont need to do that. Their offense is high octane, why change that just to appease others? No, what needs to happen is they get moved to a different district so that they'll have more evenly matched talent.

Your argument about KW playing 1A schools is valid in some respects but KW does have a loss to 1A W&L. I couldn’t tell you if the teams they play are weak every year but there are a lot of politics in district changes as evidenced by the $€!t show we had last year with the ‘doah, Valley and Bull Run scramble. One team wanted to go then one backed out because one went, blah blah.

No one wants to see scores like that but both coaches can agree to the running clock as soon as it hits 35. Wouldn’t help a whole bunch but if the second string is scoring, short of deliberate delay of games and other such tactics, a coach would have to call his offense differently to inhibit his team from scoring. I have seen these tactics deployed myself so it’s possible.

Reactions: mmqp
Your argument about KW playing 1A schools is valid in some respects but KW does have a loss to 1A W&L. I couldn’t tell you if the teams they play are weak every year but there are a lot of politics in district changes as evidenced by the $€!t show we had last year with the ‘doah, Valley and Bull Run scramble. One team wanted to go then one backed out because one went, blah blah.

No one wants to see scores like that but both coaches can agree to the running clock as soon as it hits 35. Wouldn’t help a whole bunch but if the second string is scoring, short of deliberate delay of games and other such tactics, a coach would have to call his offense differently to inhibit his team from scoring. I have seen these tactics deployed myself so it’s possible.

All of this.. is true.

There are 1A schools close to Riverheads but they all suck. Bath, PM and Covington leave a lot to be desired when compared to who the Gladiators currently play.
Dont really consider 1 -11/2 hrs close but yes they are the closest 1A schools. PM is about 40 min but they refuse to play.

Dont really consider 1 -11/2 hrs close but yes they are the closest 1A schools. PM is about 40 min but they refuse to play.

They're not obligated to play you, just as Riverheads was not obligated to play Lee for all those years. PM did play Roanoke Catholic this year and they'd be right up there in the run for a 1A title if they played in 1A. I have a feeling PM dropped you guys for good after Casto went ballistic on the little old ladies that take tickets and the PM AD at the time for not allowing him to pull the Riverheads bus up on the field for whatever reason.

Anyway, the thread is not about the Gladiators. This is a discussion about a 2A school being in a district that, correct me if I'm wrong, is all 1A except for themselves. Beating these schools does not prepare KW for the playoffs. As a KW fan has already said there are other ways and it's time to start thinking outside the box in a lot of areas surrounding the way things are currently set up.

Reactions: deffenbaugh
King William is a big 2A, one of the biggest 2A schools in Virginia. So big they have 100 more students enrolled than West Point, Charles City and King & Queen combined. That's half of the tidewater district. It's one thing if KW and WP choose to continue playing their rivalry game. But KW should absolutely be in some combination of the smaller teams from the Bay Rivers District of which they are bigger than a few of now. K&Q is a great story. They should not be required to play a school nearly 5X bigger than they are....the proper comparison would be King William playing in a district with Highland Springs, except Highland Springs is only 2.5X bigger than King William.

Yes, KW is Class 2 and yes the schools in their district have much smaller enrollments. But, other than football what other sports does KW dominate in the Tidewater? Baseball? Softball? Track? I took a look at their football roster and 19 of the 36 players listed are 9th or 10th graders.

Get rid of these asinine split districts and make KW play in a 2A/3A district. It's a joke that they have to do this year in and year out against their district teams. It doesnt help them a bit beating up on these 1A schools. Once again, STEP UP VH$L!

Not saying you're wrong, but you should get a kick out of this. You said get rid of split districts and then say KW should be in a 2a/3a which is split haha

They're not obligated to play you, just as Riverheads was not obligated to play Lee for all those years. PM did play Roanoke Catholic this year and they'd be right up there in the run for a 1A title if they played in 1A. I have a feeling PM dropped you guys for good after Casto went ballistic on the little old ladies that take tickets and the PM AD at the time for not allowing him to pull the Riverheads bus up on the field for whatever reason.

Anyway, the thread is not about the Gladiators. This is a discussion about a 2A school being in a district that, correct me if I'm wrong, is all 1A except for themselves. Beating these schools does not prepare KW for the playoffs. As a KW fan has already said there are other ways and it's time to start thinking outside the box in a lot of areas surrounding the way things are currently set up.
I agree but its just hard to do because most adm dont want the travel expenses especially for regular season games. Dont think you will ever get a perfect schedule especially the way the schools are broken up by enrollment that are in the same proximity.

Not saying you're wrong, but you should get a kick out of this. You said get rid of split districts and then say KW should be in a 2a/3a which is split haha

Trust me, I want to go there very much so! But if I went with saying that we wouldnt be getting anywhere any time soon with fixing this would we, sadly? That's all hypothetical. But moving them to a split 2A/3A district is something that is already currently being done in this state. So other than the "travel" argument that is only being raised by 2 Riverheads fans there is no other reason it should not happen, other than the point that a third Riverheads fan made about the politics of it all.

Okay Gunz, I'll go there. You've inspired me lol

0-400: 1A. Minimum of 8 games per season must be played vs. 1A. 2 games open for old rivalries and whatnot.

401-750: 2A. Minimum of 8 games per season must be played vs. 2A. 2 games open for old rivalries and whatnot.

751-1450: 3A. Minimum of 8 games per season must be played vs. 3A. 2 games open for old rivalries and whatnot.

1451-Above: 4A. Minimum of 8 games per season must be played vs 4A. 2 games open for old rivalries and whatnot.

I'm even open to allowing the private schools in based on the same model that is used for LCA. I'm scared to death we'd end up with a situation like Saint Frances Academy in Maryland so I'm very hesitant about such a thing ever occurring since the VHSL has no real power.

In my model only ~3 schools in 1A would be over 2X smaller than the largest 1A school. In 4A only 2 or 3 schools would be over the 2X larger than the smallest 4A school.

**This model is for football only. Basketball is a whole different monster to tackle.

Reactions: deffenbaugh
Okay Gunz, I'll go there. You've inspired me lol

0-400: 1A. Minimum of 8 games per season must be played vs. 1A. 2 games open for old rivalries and whatnot.

401-750: 2A. Minimum of 8 games per season must be played vs. 2A. 2 games open for old rivalries and whatnot.

751-1450: 3A. Minimum of 8 games per season must be played vs. 3A. 2 games open for old rivalries and whatnot.

1451-Above: 4A. Minimum of 8 games per season must be played vs 4A. 2 games open for old rivalries and whatnot.

I'm even open to allowing the private schools in based on the same model that is used for LCA. I'm scared to death we'd end up with a situation like Saint Frances Academy in Maryland so I'm very hesitant about such a thing ever occurring since the VHSL has no real power.

In my model only ~3 schools in 1A would be over 2X smaller than the largest 1A school. In 4A only 2 or 3 schools would be over the 2X larger than the smallest 4A school.

**This model is for football only. Basketball is a whole different monster to tackle.
That sounds like a fair scenario but to have a school in 2A for football and a different classification for other sports would be a nightmare for the VHSL.

As the person that mentioned politics I will say again that I don’t think you will convince a wholesale change in districts just based off of embedded ideas on alignment.

And as a Riverheads supporter I will go on record again and say I like the alignment you propose, but it has to be across all the sports we can not pick and choose where to implement it. I vote for the change to take place for the 2020 fall season. This would certainly be easier to get districts aligned too. Take the control alway from the AD’s and put teams in the district they are supposed to be in. Get back to district tourneys and limited teams making the post season. I am in brother, sign me up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT