ADVERTISEMENT

LC Bird/ Tuscarora

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Can Tuscy upend Bird and end that streak? Analysis on this game?

I would say Tuscarora is the favorite, it's just hard to pick against a team that keeps getting it done. 13 straight playoff wins and no cupcakes in the early round in 5A in Richmond area is pretty good. Still, Bird really isn't the Bird of last year.

This post was edited on 12/6 5:59 PM by GilliamRatings

I'm a Bird fan as well and have enjoyed the last 2 years. If Bird plays as undisciplined next week this game will be 42-14 Tuscrora. Salem didn't have much and that was a struggle ....Sorry its TUSCARORA for the Trophy

Bird was suppose to lose to Ocean Lakes and pulled it out. Bird was suppose to lose to Broad Run and watch as McSorley made history and Bird won. I think this game will be over in an hour and half with Bird making enough plays with Elliott's arm, but most importantly his legs to eek out a win.

I'm kind of on your side with this, but seriously this post has been made by somebody almost weekly for 15 years now on these boards. The penalties just don't seem to stop them from winning too often.

I also would probably be 100% picking Tuscarora, if it wasn't for the wide differences in the schedules, though Tuscarora's big win over Massaponax makes me take pause. 'Ponax is a GOOD football team. It's not all up to what Bird does, Tuscarora might dictate what happens. It might be won because Tuscarora makes the mistake. You never know. I just know Bird keeps on keeping on, and it's going to end sometime and I'm not going to walking on egg shells worrying about it. I'm going to try to enjoy the run until it's done.

Ocean Lakes? Broad Run? You sure you not talking about Briar Woods and another team?

I think he's talking about Briar Woods and Salem last year. But then again, it was Ocean Lakes in the 1st title win. right?

This post was edited on 12/6 10:23 PM by springer76

Originally posted by springer76:
I think he's talking about Briar Woods and Salem last year. But then again, it was Ocean Lakes in the 1st title win. right?

This post was edited on 12/6 10:23 PM by springer76
He was talking about Ocean Lakes two years ago and Briar Woods last year. I think Briar Woods would've won if it wasn't for that injury to Brandon Polk in the second half. Bird had no answer for him.

That 2012 Bird team will kill the 2013 and 2014 Bird teams lol I even said 2012 the game gonna be close after watching about 5 YouTube vids from that team , let's be honest things would have been different if Qb Corwin Cutler didn't destroy his knee vs Granby 2nd rd playoffs for Ocean Lakes ! Anyways I went to the game today wasn't impress by bird looking at them I thought they would beat Salem by 2 TDs all the depth , size and expierance state titles they have under their belt Salem struggling vs Norciew last week but they too struggled that costly interception was the game winner , if tuscarora really that good like the ppl here are saying then Bird might not get that 3rd ring. I'm gonna watch some YouTube vids on tuscarora see what's all the hype on them hopefully they got some good vida this years team

He's talking about two years ago when Bird entered the finals against Ocean Lakes in Division 6 championship. Bird was a pretty big underdog in that one in many people's minds (I should point out that even though Virginia Preps and Ocean Lakes ranked #1, they picked Bird to win).

Bird's answer was to hit the team really hard on every play (oh yeah, and for their QB to play 3 quarters with a broken collar bone). I remember saying facetiously before the game that bones would be cracking...I didn't mean it literally. This year I'll choose my words a little more expeditiously:

It will be a hard hitting game with no injuries and I'll get a check for 50 million dollars when it ends (Hey, if my predictions are going to come true).

I agree Bird didn't look good, yesterday, but they looked even worse than that against Salem last year. Salem does some things on defense that apparently gives Bird some trouble. Bird also got a lot of flags on big plays where they picked up first downs. However, I WAS really impressed with Bird's defense. Pretty stifling most of the afternoon. Salem could not run the ball, save for the second drive when they burned the Skyhawks repeatedly because they were playing a little too aggressively on defense. You hold a team to 141 yards in the state semi-finals in this day and age and you've done something.

Don't agree that the 2012 Bird team was better than the 2013 team. The 2012 team was more of a surprise and really caught fire in the playoffs where as the 2013 team straight blew out almost everybody they played. The defense on that 2013 team was best in Birds history.Birds Qb was good in 2012 but was a much better passer in 2013 as well. What you have to remember that every year there is talk about Bird not being impressive and not looking good offensively but they find a way. Even coach Bedwell stated that he doesn't build teams to be pretty he builds teams to be effective and while this current team isn't as talented as the other 2 they made it. Ugly football has gotten Bedwell 2 rings. I have a feeling that with these 2 teams matching up on Saturday we could be in for a good one.

This post was edited on 12/7 1:40 PM by prime221

This post was edited on 12/7 1:42 PM by prime221

This post was edited on 12/7 1:44 PM by prime221

Missing Polk hurt. I also think the injury to BW's middle linebacker (Chris Larco) was a killer. BW was pretty much shutting down the run while he was in there. Once he got hurt late in the second quarter, Bird started churning out the yards.

Want to see Tuscarora beat LC Bird

Don't know why, just sounds like Tuscarora's year.

Here is some film of Tuscarora to give you an idea of how good they really are. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/919882/highlights/161415375

The 2012 season for Bird became the magical season that it was with about two minutes left in the Cosby game. Bird was flat that game and Cosby had them beat until their big tackle started posturing in front of the Bird sideline after Cosby scored a 4th quarter TD. The Skyhawks came to life after that and scored twice in the final two minutes to win that game. They seemed to be a completely different team after that game. The championship game that season was defense, defense, and more defense with the exception of a couple of big offensive plays by both teams.

The 2013 team maybe had more swagger and some of the credit for that goes to having won the 2012 Championship.

I haven't seen a lot of film on Tuscarora this year, but what I saw showed an O-line that controlled the LOS, a RB that makes the most of the holes he is given and makes you pay if you get in his way (2900 yards is ridiculous), and a passing game that can burn you too. I think Bird is battle tested with the slate of teams that they have played. I don't how the 5A North stacks up by comparison this year. We will have to see if Bird can bottle up the Husky running game and vice versa. It should be a good game. As always turnovers could be the deciding factor.

Bird does the same thing, basically. Bird's been doing it that way since 1978. I still think it's the way to win championships, and this year's slate of teams at UVA seemed to confirm my belief.

ot all up to what Bird does, Tuscarora might dictate what happens. It might be won because Tuscarora makes
I agree with this. The 2013 Bird team was the best of the three. 2015 might be even better...
I thought I'd revive this one after 9+ months.
I'm not sure how the 2015 edition of the Skyhawks' stacks up, but their defense is awfully good. Definitely another gauntlet to run in the playoffs.

This was a thread from last year and I do believe that the game was between Bird and Tuscarora. Not making any predictions about this year. I just thought it was interesting that my last post in the thread last year was musing about how the 2015 team would stack up to the 2013 team and wondered how people thought it has turned out.

Try not to be so sensitive. I'm not trying to dis the Springers or Crabbers or Panthers or .....

This was a thread from last year and I do believe that the game was between Bird and Tuscarora. Not making any predictions about this year. I just thought it was interesting that my last post in the thread last year was musing about how the 2015 team would stack up to the 2013 team and wondered how people thought it has turned out.

Try not to be so sensitive. I'm not trying to dis the Springers or Crabbers or Panthers or .....
Oh :)

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I thought I'd revive this one after 9+ months.
I'm not sure how the 2015 edition of the Skyhawks' stacks up, but their defense is awfully good. Definitely another gauntlet to run in the playoffs.
I would have the 2013 team as the best, and if this years team win the states they would be a close second followed by 2012 then 2014. The 2013 team u thought they were going to score on every possession.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT