ADVERTISEMENT

Lebanon

Page County returns most of their 2018 state champ baseball team...including the POY Williams. I expect them to at least make the final four.

Madison softball won the title in 2017 (over Richlands). That whole team is still together and rolling. Heard that their big bomber is out with knee injury but they are just loaded with talent.

Page baseball has outscored opponents 112-23 this season and currently sit at 12-0. They should be strong contenders once again this season but never an easy task

I don't follow baseball very much and I don't know much about the top teams, but I did read recently where Lebanon has 2 pitchers that either are being recruited or maybe even already signed with UVA and Virginia Tech, respectively and both are only sophomores. Very rare to have 2 Division 1 pitchers on a 2A roster.

I don't follow baseball very much and I don't know much about the top teams, but I did read recently where Lebanon has 2 pitchers that either are being recruited or maybe even already signed with UVA and Virginia Tech, respectively and both are only sophomores. Very rare to have 2 Division 1 pitchers on a 2A roster.

Buchanan is a "STUD" Pitcher going to UVA. Steele is a middle infielder who probably projects as a 3rd baseman, who is committed to VT. Steele is no where near the pitcher as Buchanan. The problem with Lebanon is the competition level they have played. Outside of Tenn. High, an 11 - 1 loss, they haven't faced a team with a winning record, outside of John Battle. They should be the favorite in Region 2D, but they have yet to play VA High, which happens on back to back nights at the end of the year.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Page County, Chatham!

Certainly look to be capable and great.

But if it comes down to one game with any team throwing their best pitcher, I know who I would pick.
But Lebanon does appear to be very beatable when Buchannan isn't on the mound.

Certainly look to be capable and great.

But if it comes down to one game with any team throwing their best pitcher, I know who I would pick.
But Lebanon does appear to be very beatable when Buchannan isn't on the mound.

Page County has a pitcher that is a Sophomore, that was the state player of the year, last year, and pitched in the state title game. They also have the longest active winning streak in the nation in baseball at like 36-0 dating back to last season.

Chatham has a pitcher, Andrew Potejecki, who is headed to Longwood college, which has several Summer baseball accolades and was all-state last season.

VA High has Jordan Dixon, which his only loss last season was in fact to Lebanon in a 2-1 ballgame and to Page County in state game 5-4.

At tournament time, it comes down to the pitching matchups. There are several capable teams that have a chance to make a run, because alot of runs aren't being scored on these type pitchers. With Buchanan on the mound in the right matchup, Lebanon is going to be there for sure!

Reactions: BigWinners
Not trying to knock anyone at all when I say this..a pitcher going to UVA right now isn’t exactly best thing for his career. The UVA pitching coach has developed the rep of being an arm killer. They used to get the best but now struggle recruiting top pitchers.

I hope the Lebanon pitchers have other options. And I’m a UVA fan!

Last edited:
Reactions: 21vol
Page Co. will win when TR Williams is on the mound. The question is if their #2 and #3 can win. So far, they can.

And I’m hearing a lot of noise about Clarke County baseball. They are really deep on the mound but maybe a year away from being special...or so I hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21vol
Page County has a pitcher that is a Sophomore, that was the state player of the year, last year, and pitched in the state title game. They also have the longest active winning streak in the nation in baseball at like 36-0 dating back to last season.

Chatham has a pitcher, Andrew Potejecki, who is headed to Longwood college, which has several Summer baseball accolades and was all-state last season.

VA High has Jordan Dixon, which his only loss last season was in fact to Lebanon in a 2-1 ballgame and to Page County in state game 5-4.

At tournament time, it comes down to the pitching matchups. There are several capable teams that have a chance to make a run, because alot of runs aren't being scored on these type pitchers. With Buchanan on the mound in the right matchup, Lebanon is going to be there for sure!

Having seen all 4 pitchers in 2A either live this year or last year, which includes Williams From Page, Buchanan from Lebanon, Potejecki from Chatham, and Dixon from VA High, there is no comparison to who is the best.

Buchanan from Lebanon is far and away, the #1 pitcher out of this group. With him on the mound, against anybody, that team may be hard to beat with a 2 or 3 run lead. Pro Scouts were at the game last night, and he topped 90, and sat 87-89! His ball has a ton of movement, and is only a sophomore. There is a reason he was the National Perfect Game Pitcher of the year for his age group this past summer!

Without him on the mound, Lebanon can be susceptible! Interesting matchups coming in the postseason.

Reactions: BigWinners
Williams is only a sophomore as well. And he pitched in the summer on the USA baseball team. His velocity is upper 80s from the left side. I don’t know if he is the best in 2A but I doubt there is anyone “far and away” above him.

And the noise I have heard about Clarke was just that...noise. Finally saw them in person and they are just above average at best. Good talent but missing the “it” factor.

Page County is still the top dog out of Region B. George Mason has a SLIGHT chance of dethroning them but I doubt it.

Next year, the Bull Run expands to add Page, Luray, East Rock and Stonewall. Page will be the favorite, and should be, but don’t sleep on that young Madison team. They have a freshman pitcher with a lot of upside and a do everything kid (will be a senior next year I believe) who should contend for POY...maybe this year, definitely next year. They only lose one starter to graduation. Their catcher and SS were also freshmen this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pioneer101
Williams is only a sophomore as well. And he pitched in the summer on the USA baseball team. His velocity is upper 80s from the left side. I don’t know if he is the best in 2A but I doubt there is anyone “far and away” above him.

Would go into battle with either pitcher. I like them both. Buchanan arm is much more developed and stronger. They are both from the left side, but Buchanan is playing catch out there. Effortless motion. Pro Scouts have been to watch him the last two games.

In 12 varsity starts in last 2 years, 7 are no hitters.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Williams threw a one hit, 18 strikeout complete game last night at Luray...and lost 1-0!!

Hope to get to see Buchanan in playoffs.

the problem with lebanon is that after buchanan they drop off big time, when he is on the mound they have a chance, its all going to come down to match ups, also their top 5 hitter are stout, good as anyone's, after their top 5 they also drop off big time, so its going to come down to how many runs their top 5 can produce and if they can get buchanan against the better teams, he has one of the best deliveries i have seen in a pitcher, very smooth, he usually hits between 82 and 87 on all pitch's, if he can add 7 mph's to his fastball the sky is the limit for this kid

the problem with lebanon is that after buchanan they drop off big time, when he is on the mound they have a chance, its all going to come down to match ups, also their top 5 hitter are stout, good as anyone's, after their top 5 they also drop off big time, so its going to come down to how many runs their top 5 can produce and if they can get buchanan against the better teams, he has one of the best deliveries i have seen in a pitcher, very smooth, he usually hits between 82 and 87 on all pitch's, if he can add 7 mph's to his fastball the sky is the limit for this kid

but very few teams can pitch well enough to shut down their best hitters when Buchanan isn't on mound. Their problem is, they draw a pretty good Union team and then the winner of VHS/Battle, two GREAT teams, in Region final. He interesting to see how they use him. If you beat Union, you're guaranteed a state appearance IIRC so I'd say my Bears will draw Buchannan while their #2 will take mound in Region D title game.

but very few teams can pitch well enough to shut down their best hitters when Buchanan isn't on mound. Their problem is, they draw a pretty good Union team and then the winner of VHS/Battle, two GREAT teams, in Region final. He interesting to see how they use him. If you beat Union, you're guaranteed a state appearance IIRC so I'd say my Bears will draw Buchannan while their #2 will take mound in Region D title game.

Buchanan will pitch, and their team is more confident with him on the mound. Your analagy is spot on.

Williams kid is the real deal he is slotted to go to tech but He will have opportunity to go pro out of high school

That’s pretty impressive hope I get chance to watch him ,LHP with velocity is tough to find he more likely will opportunity to go pro as well

He's also young so as he grows and develops, 85-88 could become 90-92 regularly.

It says that he’s 16 yrs and 11months old. Almost 17 at the end of your sophomore year isn’t that young. He will be almost 19 his senior yr of baseball. The kid is good don’t get me wrong but he’s not your typical 15 barely 16 yr old sophomore either. IF the age is correct that I saw. Not a lot of competition out that way either.

It says that he’s 16 yrs and 11months old. Almost 17 at the end of your sophomore year isn’t that young. He will be almost 19 his senior yr of baseball. The kid is good don’t get me wrong but he’s not your typical 15 barely 16 yr old sophomore either. IF the age is correct that I saw. Not a lot of competition out that way either.

No competition on Elite Prime in Atlanta, where he plays summer ball? You obviously haven’t done your homework. You do realize a team from Region D has played in State championship in 2A 5 of last 6 years.

SWVA has a ton of baseball talent.

I’m just saying when your playing schools that have 650-700 students there’s not as much to choose from as the schools from the tidewater area that have 2500-3000. Last I checked Tazewell Marion richlands aren’t the cream of the crop.

I didn’t get into details but I know those 3 teams plus graham weren’t even 500. Marion won 2 games, the only team they played was Virginia high school and they weren’t even that good this year. Add up the wins vs losses of opponents and see how lopsided it is.

All I’m saying is we don’t need to blow these kids up so much when there throwing no hitters against teams that have won 8 and 9 games.

Nor do we need to get on a High School message board and slight what they do.

The colleges are amazingly good at finding talent no matter where it is. If they are good enough, somebody will find them. The Lebanon pitcher is a UVA commit for goodness sake. JMU is actively recruited SWVA for a reason. VHS, Battle, Abingdon and Honaker produce lots of college players.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
It’s a lot of holding kids back a year but it might be advantage in high school but at next level not so much but if chucking the ball in upper 80’s at 16 or 17 that’s still pretty impressive the Williams boy for page don’t know how old he is but seen him pitch in eighth grade he was better than most all varsity pitchers in Shenandoah that year so I guess what I’m saying is when your special your special

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
TR Committed to VT as a freshman last year. Could have named the school he wanted to attend. Talent is talent.

And for what it is worth, my cousin grew 3 inches and gained 40 lbs between the ages of 19-21. Went from a borderline player in college to a starter who was drafted.

I didn’t say that he wasn’t good, but when we put 17 yr old kids on a pedestal bc they are dominating in 2A baseball in a small town, how hard is it for them to stay humble when they move on and face adversity. I’ve seen it so many times. Kids get so used to being the best that when they have a bad couple games they can’t handle it and some lose it. Pat the kids on the back but don’t have a parade.

And kids who dominate in bigger schools don’t experience exactly the same thing? Sure they do. Just the way it is.

Rappahannock County has a pitcher heading to a D1 school on scholarship as a pitcher. Rapp is terrible. They have 250 or so kids. They won one district game in 4 years.

Talent is talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT