ADVERTISEMENT

LoCo Football preview article for the coming year. Decent info for LoCo Division 4 teams

Tom Potter

VaPreps Varsity
Oct 17, 2015
Lovettsville,VA
Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Woodgrove has moved to Division 5 this year. I will miss you guys and gals! Anyway, it was suggested that I post this article on the Division 4 board. I think Broad Run- Ashburn is capable of making a deep run into the playoffs this year! Tuscarora is another perennial good team that has gone down to Division 4 this year.

https://www.loudountimes.com/sports...cle_f904da9a-c671-11e9-ac1e-1f0e38cdc390.html

I wasn’t posting last December, so allow me to offer belated, yet hearty congratulations on Woodgrove’s state championship. Way to go! You may not recall, but after Dominion upset Woodgrove in the 2016 playoffs, I told you to hang in there; that the Wolverines were bound to eventually break through. I’m glad they did. Keep checking in here from time to time as your boys in green and blue chase the cup in Class 5.

Reactions: Tom Potter
I read that preview article. When the author referred to Stone Bridge as “perhaps the state’s most consistent winner,” I thought that seemed a bit overblown. Then I checked their record: .822 winning percentage after nineteen seasons. Double digits in wins in sixteen of the last seventeen seasons - and twelve or more wins in ten of those years. A winning percentage in the playoffs of .742. Perhaps most impressive, at least one playoff victory in seventeen straight seasons - that might be a state public school record. Stone Bridge has only played football for nineteen seasons, and they’ve already played in eight state championship games, and all in Division 5/Class 5. That’s incredible.

So, props to the Stone Bridge Bulldogs - perhaps the most consistent winners in the state.

Last edited:
The Stone Bridge offense is one of the most interesting to watch as well with them running that option, deception attack. Some plays are drawn up with the QB spinning a full 360 before finally handing it off to one of his RB options. Really unique approach that’s very effective. Great coaching at SBHS.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
The Stone Bridge offense is one of the most interesting to watch as well with them running that option, deception attack. Some plays are drawn up with the QB spinning a full 360 before finally handing it off to one of his RB options. Really unique approach that’s very effective. Great coaching at SBHS.
Yes they are interesting to watch. They really are hard to defend too!! Of all the teams that Highland Springs has faced, I would say that Stone Bridge is the toughest.

Thompson’s Park View teams must have run a very similar offense, although I think theirs was more of a traditional single wing. Some of you Xs and Os guys can correct me if necessary. Salem played Park View in the state championship in 1999, Thompson’s last year with PV before leaving to start the Stone Bridge program. The Patriots’ qb was a kid named Nick Smith - fast and quick, with a good arm. I seem to recall some plays just as you described, where Smith would spin fully around. I’m generally a “watch the ball” kind of fan, and I was lost much of the time when Park View had the ball. I’d given up keeping track of the ball by the middle of the third quarter. I just figured if the Salem kids weren’t still running downfield three or four seconds after the snap, they must have made the tackle somewhere.

Smith was a fine player. IIRC, he transferred to Stone Bridge the following season. I have no idea if he played anywhere in college, but he definitely could have.

[Edit: Just a few minutes of Googling revealed that Smith transferred to Centreville, not Stone Bridge. He redshirted one year at Wake Forest, then transferred to JMU, but apparently left the program there without ever having played in a college game.]

Last edited:
I wasn’t posting last December, so allow me to offer belated, yet hearty congratulations on Woodgrove’s state championship. Way to go! You may not recall, but after Dominion upset Woodgrove in the 2016 playoffs, I told you to hang in there; that the Wolverines were bound to eventually break through. I’m glad they did. Keep checking in here from time to time as your boys in green and blue chase the cup in Class 5.
You called it!

We started slow outta the gates last year but got some playoff breaks that they didn't waste! What a ride last year!

Woodgrove played a very sloppy game last night. Had to have over 100 yards in penalties. The lads need to play more disciplined game if they hope to make noise in 5A playoffs this year!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT