ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Loudoun Valley @ Sherando on Tuesday 7pm.

Coach Milburn

VaPreps Varsity
Jun 29, 2001
June 2, 2004 might be the last time Sherando and Loudoun Valley have played?

Gibson Gets Sherando Started

By Angela Watts and Preston WilliamsWashington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, June 3, 2004; Page D05

Sherando junior first baseman Jordan Gibson sent two balls deep over the right field fence while taking batting practice last night at Fireman's Field in Purceville in preparation for the Warriors' Virginia AA Region II baseball semifinal against host Loudoun Valley.

He took the third pitch he saw once the game had officially started and drove it to the exact same spot.

"I don't know if I saw that as an omen," Gibson said of the pre-game blasts. "But that's definitely not normal."

Gibson's two-run homer in the top of the second inning was just the beginning for Sherando (17-8), which parlayed that early lead into a 12-4 victory. The win advances the Warriors, who have won nine of their past 11 games, to Friday's regional final at Fauquier, which beat Stone Bridge, 7-6, in 11 innings.

"I didn't know a whole lot about them coming in," said Loudoun Valley Coach Wayne Todd, whose team finished the season 21-5. "What I know now is that they swing their bats really well."

Senior Grant Derflinger matched Gibson's effort in the second inning, just three batters later, with a two-run shot of his own that sailed over the left field fence. In all Sherando spread 11 hits off four Vikings pitchers, getting seven of those from the last three spots in the lineup.

Derflinger, batting eighth, led all efforts, going 2 for 2 with a double, a homer and 4 RBI. He also reached on an error and scored three runs.

Senior catcher Jamie Tucker, batting ninth, went 2 for 3 with 2 RBI.

"The last time I was part of a team that went to states was at James Wood in 1985," Sherando Coach Pepper Martin said. "We got on a roll at the end of the season there, too, and the key to it was a different player in the lineup was stepping up every night. This team is very similar in that way. In the last six or seven games we have not had the same offensive stars."

Legends in the Dugout

Two coaching legends will go at it, too. Martin is the only coach in Sherando history and has been a skipper for combined 21 seasons. Todd has been in charge a combined 36 seasons at Broad Run and Loudoun Valley. Todd has been at LV since 1997 and won a state Group AA title with BR in 1991.

57 seasons between these two guys! Wow!

This post was edited on 5/27 8:13 PM by 21base

This post was edited on 5/28 7:46 AM by 21base

Re: Double-check your years 21Base

Martin was head coach at JW in '93 and has been at Sherando since it opened in '94 to present = 21yrs.

I don't know where Coach Todd started before 1991. Where was he?

Re: Double-check your years 21Base

You know, you're right M.

I am describing seasons (the best reference to use, instead of years) and Mr. Martin has stood in that third base box for 20 seasons (1994-2013). And then you throw in that season with Jimmy Wood, and it is, indeed, 21 seasons!

Wayne Todd began his head coaching career at Broad Run in the spring of 1978.

So, there you go. How 'bout that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT