ADVERTISEMENT

Lord Botetourt-Appomattox County Football Game will NOT be made up!

Apr 12, 2021
The Lord Botetourt Cavaliers at Appomattox County Raiders Football Game scheduled for Friday, Sept. 15 was cancelled due to a bomb threat that was called into the high school before the contest started. Raiders Head Coach Doug Smith has informed me that the game will NOT be made up this season. Appomattox travels to Gretna to face the Hawks this Friday, Sept. 22 as Dogwood District play gets underway.

• Wow
Reactions: pizzzzza
Read this on the other board. Appo going 7-2 actually could work in its favor to host the semi's if Appo were to win Region D. If Graham loses to Pulaski and wins D and finishes 8-2, a 7-2 Appo could finish higher in points. If Union would lose 1 more to either Gate City, Ridgeview, or Abingdon and finish 8-2 and win D, a 7-2 Appo has a chance to finish higher in points. If Appo lost to LB and finished 7-3 on the season, they wouldn't have a chance to host the semi's and even if Appo beat LB, they would need that additional loss from Graham/Union. Not playing LB actually works in its favor and gives it the best chance to host the semis. It hurts Appo within the Region against Glenvar/Radford and having a chance to host, but it actually helps Appo for the state semi's if Appo can win Region C.

Last edited:
Read this on the other board. Appo going 7-2 actually could work in its favor to host the semi's if Appo were to win Region D. If Graham loses to Pulaski and wins D and finishes 8-2, a 7-2 Appo could finish higher in points. If Union would lose 1 more to either Gate City, Ridgeview, or Abingdon and finish 8-2 and win D, a 7-2 Appo has a chance to finish higher in points. If Appo lost to LB and finished 7-3 on the season, they wouldn't have a chance to host the semi's and even if Appo beat LB, they would need that additional loss from Graham/Union. Not playing LB actually works in its favor and gives it the best chance to host the semis. It hurts Appo within the Region against Glenvar/Radford and having a chance to host, but it actually helps Appo for the state semi's if Appo can win Region C.
Thanks fairlawncat hope you are doing well !

Thanks fairlawncat hope you are doing well !
Same for you. I hate that happened for you all. Crazy stuff nowadays. Looks like Region C is going to be close one again with Appo, Glenvar, and Radford. Until one of us can actually beat you guys, I will believe it only when I see it. Raddy has a great QB and good athletes, but I still worry about our Line when playing Glenvar and possible Appo come playoff time.

Same for you. I hate that happened for you all. Crazy stuff nowadays. Looks like Region C is going to be close one again with Appo, Glenvar, and Radford. Until one of us can actually beat you guys, I will believe it only when I see it. Raddy has a great QB and good athletes, but I still worry about our Line when playing Glenvar and possible Appo come playoff time.
It’s the time of year for appo after playing these tough games to get better each week, they will be ready come playoff time but the dogwood does have some teams that are getting better. Big game at Gretna next see how things shake out .

Doesn’t this screw LB though?

Depends on how Appo's season runs. Assuming this was played and LB won, at best it's a 7-3 Appo and they still have a couple tough games left. 6-4 or even 5-5 Appo doesn't do LB any favors. If they'd have handled Rustburg and Heritage then LB'd be howling to try and get a 9-1 Appo on their points but now...eh. Circumstances change and Appo could say the same thing.

I doubt both teams are running in the same direction where this was going to end up beneficial for both. Far as points go it's probably just as well for both teams it didn't get played, although from an actual game perspective it sucks.

Did they find the perp who called in the bomb threat? The thugs that do this or use threats of violence should have to reimburse schools the average gate and concessions for a lost game...at the bare minimum on top of serving hard time.

As long as these POS are not punished, they will continue to do this. It's happening more and more in Virginia.

Did they find the perp who called in the bomb threat? The thugs that do this or use threats of violence should have to reimburse schools the average gate and concessions for a lost game...at the bare minimum on top of serving hard time.

As long as these POS are not punished, they will continue to do this. It's happening more and more in Virginia.
Also, should have to reimburse the fire/police/first responder/investigation response and costs, which are steep.

As long as Appo has a winning season which they likely will it’s going to cost LB some points. I don’t see Appo losing to anyone else on their schedule. LB would’ve gotten around 34 total points after the rider points are factored in from Appo’s wins if they was to beat Appo in this game.
I would call that a screwing!!! Wonder why it can’t be made up? Or why the school at fault didn’t forfeit(assuming that would reward LB with points??

I would call that a screwing!!! Wonder why it can’t be made up? Or why the school at fault didn’t forfeit(assuming that would reward LB with points??
I’m assuming it was a mutual agreement between both administrations to not make it up and count it as a no contest. Unless the admins release a statement as to why that was decided, it’s just a guessing game.

I know from a good source that LB wants to play and is waiting to hear from Appomattox!! If Appo doesn’t play it should be on them!!

• Wow
Reactions: Raiders Radio
Lord Botetourt's only bye is Sept. 29 and Appomattox's only bye in Oct. 27 so it cannot be made up on a Friday. With Dogwood District play beginning this Friday, I believe that Raiders Head Coach Doug Smith chose not to try to make it up on a Monday or Tuesday. Appomattox will still travel to Daleville next season to resume their rivalry with the Cavaliers-which deadlocked at one win a piece.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Lord Botetourt's only bye is Sept. 29 and Appomattox's only bye in Oct. 27 so it cannot be made up on a Friday. With Dogwood District play beginning this Friday, I believe that Raiders Head Coach Doug Smith chose not to try to make it up on a Monday or Tuesday. Appomattox will still travel to Daleville next season to resume their rivalry with the Cavaliers-which deadlocked at one win a piece.
And if that’s his stance then it should be a forfeit, LB is willing to play, if Appo isn’t willing then they should forfeit!! It’s really that simple!!

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
And if that’s his stance then it should be a forfeit, LB is willing to play, if Appo isn’t willing then they should forfeit!! It’s really that simple!!
I don't know that for a fact: the post above in merely my opinion. I doubt that LB Head Coach Jamie Harless would want to play the game next Monday or Tuesday, especially after playing a powerhouse school from North Carolina this Friday. Once again, this is only my opinion!

Reactions: Stabler1980
I don't know that for a fact: the post above in merely my opinion. I doubt that LB Head Coach Jamie Harless would want to play the game next Monday or Tuesday, especially after playing a powerhouse school from North Carolina this Friday. Once again, this is only my opinion!

Powerhouse school from North Carolina? 🤔😂 You're talking about Olympic right? Just want to make sure I read that correctly.

I don't think Olympic even cracks the top 20 in Charlotte. They play in a weak conference. The one good team they played last year (Indy) beat them by about 50 points. Shelby which is a 2A school beat them pretty bad a week or two ago.

I don't know who told you that, but LB should win easily if they're any good at all.

• Wow
Powerhouse school from North Carolina? 🤔😂 You're talking about Olympic right? Just want to make sure I read that correctly.

I don't think Olympic even cracks the top 20 in Charlotte. They play in a weak conference. The one good team they played last year (Indy) beat them by about 50 points. Shelby which is a 2A school beat them pretty bad a week or two ago.

I don't know who told you that, but LB should win easily if they're any good at all.
I was just going by the fact that Olympic High is Class 5 in North Carolina.

Radford has beaten Appomattox twice: 1980 in a regular season game at Bobcat Stadium and in 2018 Region 2C Final at Norm Lineburg Field. However, Glenvar has never gotten a win over the Raiders in 6 meetings, being knocked out of the playoffs every year since 2017.

From the source I know, it’s pretty much a fact that LB wants to play this game, they are confident they can/will win and want the points!!

The game points for beating a Class 1 school, or 2 school, or Class 3 school is now the same for that Class 3 school who plays down. There is no difference and VA did this to encourage schools not to have a fear of playing down. If Appo were to lose to LB and finish 7-3, that is 14 rider points. For LB, if they did play Appo and win, it's the same amount of points for playing and beating a Class 3 school that finishes 7-3.

Dont be too hard on Appo.
Look at it from their end. Playing twice in one week against a larger school who has lots more athletes to draw from is tough. Appo doesn't have the numbers to potentially get banged up on a Monday and then be expected to play again 4 days later on a Friday. That's tough on any team to do but especially if your numbers aren't great.
I would love to have seen them played Friday night but some idiot ruined that for both teams.

Dont be too hard on Appo.
Look at it from their end. Playing twice in one week against a larger school who has lots more athletes to draw from is tough. Appo doesn't have the numbers to potentially get banged up on a Monday and then be expected to play again 4 days later on a Friday. That's tough on any team to do but especially if your numbers aren't great.
I would love to have seen them played Friday night but some idiot ruined that for both teams.
Coach Smith told me Saturday morning that they didn't even know if they would be allowed back in the high school on Monday so that would have made it impossible to play a make-up game yesterday. I have a hard time believing Coach Harless would want to take a 150 mile round trip to Appomattox and back on a school night in order to make up the contest on a Monday or Tuesday when the Cavaliers' Blue Ridge District play starts soon! The two team will play a rubber match in Daleville next season and that is all that is feasible now. Both teams should advance deep into the playoffs in their respective classification.

I also was told on Sunday around 2:00 that they still hadn;'t got word that they would have school on Monday.

• Sad
Coach Smith told me Saturday morning that they didn't even know if they would be allowed back in the high school on Monday so that would have made it impossible to play a make-up game yesterday. I have a hard time believing Coach Harless would want to take a 150 mile round trip to Appomattox and back on a school night in order to make up the contest on a Monday or Tuesday when the Cavaliers' Blue Ridge District play starts soon! The two team will play a rubber match in Daleville next season and that is all that is feasible now. Both teams should advance deep into the playoffs in their respective classification.
Like I said, I KNOW LB is willing to play!! And if Appo doesn’t, then fine do the right thing and forfeit and from here on out play teams that are 2a or lower if the numbers are your excuse!!

Like I said, I KNOW LB is willing to play!! And if Appo doesn’t, then fine do the right thing and forfeit and from here on out play teams that are 2a or lower if the numbers are your excuse!!
Couldn't the same principle be applied to LB...if they don't like the outcome of scheduling a class 2 team, then stop scheduling games down levels.

I think the overall point is being lost here and that there was a threat made on a public school. One that carried enough concern that the game was cancelled and that, as of the weekend, the Appomattox Superintendent was still cautious of even having school on Monday and all you are worried about is the game being played.

There is more to moving a game than just saying, Oh, lets play on Monday of the next week. Officials have to be available, schedules have to be compared, transportation has to be available in this day of bus driver shortages, law enforcement and Rescue Squads have to be arranged, etc... Also, if I was worried about points then I would be concerned that Appo playing two games in a week could possibly hurt the overall record. Posters are saying that the Raiders would more than likely end up 7-3, but on a short week and possibly banged up they could then end up dropping an unexpected game and finishing 6-4, which would then cost LB points.

At this point, accept the fact that the game will not be made up and look at the initial reason as to why. Appo is not dodging LB. It is an unfortunate incident.

Point is if Appo can’t accommodate, then forfeit!! Don’t give two $h!#s if the game is played. Appo is the home team and if they can’t find transportation or officials then forfeit the game!!
The same rule shouldn’t apply because LB isn’t making excuses!! They’re willing. Appo isn’t. Forfeit the game!!!

Well, I don't agree my friend. Number one, "Appo didn't make the bomb threat." All of the people in Appomattox County didn't huddle up one night and say, "let's make a bomb threat." We are talking about 1 or 2 knuckle heads that could be from anywhere in the country, including Botetourt County. It's not Appo's fault, and if you don't even know on a Sunday if you are having school Monday morning (within 24 hours) you cancel the game, period. Based on something like that, I have a hard time believing the Appo School Officials were given the ok by early Sunday morning from the investigators that school on Monday morning is a "go." I have a hard time believing that. It's easy to say on Saturday or Sunday "we will play," when you are from a distance in another location and don't have a mess at your school trying to get to the bottom of what happened. Appo shouldn't forgeit a darn thing. Also, I'm not 100% convinced LB would win the game. I think Rustburg and Heritage are both better than LB and I think Appo would be right in the game with a chance to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT