ADVERTISEMENT

Loudoun Valley beats South County for AAA title

S

Shady TigEER

3-1....S. County won the first game and then Valley won 3 straight.

Loudoun County wins AA and beats Grafton silly

Good for the county of Loudoun that it had two state championship teams Saturday at the Siegel.
Observations: Just too bad Valley and County could not play (again) this season, even though they are separated by 10 miles! You can't tell me they could not have played just once, perhaps on a Saturday afternoon? Fans of those two schools would have loved it.
I loved watching LC just spank the living daylights out of Grafton constantly in the AA final. The last two sets were just flat-out dominance from the Lady Raiders. They jumped to 8-0 leads in each and were never contested. Anytime Juliane Hanna got a set to the outside, Grafton had no chance to stop the kill. Fun also watching Grafton's coach have it handed to her after she showed her can in the finals two years ago against County. Got to think that made the Raiders want to beat Grafton that much more on Saturday, after that incident two years ago (one of the worst displays of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed).
Too bad there wasn't much of a crowd on the final day of volley. Might have maxed out with 700 fans, even with the end zone bleachers down. I heard later that was due to VCU's men's basketball hosting Oklahoma later Saturday (and they did fill it up Saturday night for VCU's upset of the top-20 Sooners).
Matthias knows her volleyball, I think we all need to finally agree. She gets these experienced travel ball players and lets them help her program when they come in ready for the high school season. I missed seeing her Dad jump up and down and go crazy with each passing point won by the Raiders (like he has done so often in the past) but it was then pointed out to me that he was courtside doing an internet broadcast.
Valley and County are going to be very strong for years to come. Congrats also to Coach Johnson at Valley. Guess he's finally out of Keilty's shadow.
Good job, Raiders and Vikings.

Re: Loudoun County wins AA

It's a shame that the real AA state final had to be played Friday. :) I'm not taking anything away from Grafton who had a great team this year but that Loudoun County vs. Cave Spring match was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Cave Spring's libero (Jocelyn Kellinger) dug Hanna over and over and over again, "limiting" Hanna to 14 or 15 kills on tons of swings in 5 long games. Hanna is an awesome player who should have an excellent college career but I thought Kellinger was the MVP of the match. Cave Spring had no one taller than 5'8" on the court and had no business hanging with LC except for their team defense anchored by Kellinger. These were two great teams with two great coaches and I only wish they could have met in the finals. Oh well, that's just the way the brackets were this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they meet in the state finals for the 3rd time next season though.

Re: Loudoun County wins AA and beats Grafton silly

South County loses their leading OH (Lindsey Stephans) and a very strong Libero. Who else do they have coming back this Fall beside Simone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT