ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa at Courtland

I don’t know enough about Louisa to speak on them in this situation. As for EV I have my concerns for them after seeing the last scrimmage. So far I’ve seen some big defensive issues with EV but I will withhold my comment on this until after 2 games. To be continued....
I don't know enough about Louisa as well. But....if they can replace as many starters as others are saying and play at/near the same level, bravo to the coach.

Reactions: OCBoy
Don’t think it’s an upset either but the Louisa coach pretty much ran the team last year. That should translate into this season.
I don’t know enough about Louisa to speak on them in this situation. As for EV I have my concerns for them after seeing the last scrimmage. So far I’ve seen some big defensive issues with EV but I will withhold my comment on this until after 2 games. To be continued....
One other thing about EV that I have to remind myself about, they've dominated the regular season for 2 years because they got very good at the same time some of these other teams were not very good. These other teams don't stay down forever. When other teams get more competitive, it doesn't mean something is "wrong" with EV. It's actually a good thing for them if these regular season contests get tougher. We're just not used to seeing it. The starters haven't played four quarters but 2 or 3 times in the last couple of years. What you may see from them this year is that they dominate the 2nd half of games more so than the 1st half as they've been doing.

1. No class 4 team was defeating highland springs last year, @springer76 might be able to attest to that as that’s his following more than mine. 1 loss in week 1 to hermitage and they avenged that in playoffs. Similar to the Salem team whom beat y’all who lost to Blacksburg and avenged their loss. Stop drinking the Kool-aid and really think about it. Back to back champs and could three peat, but would lose to class 4 teams as you stated was a larger reach than any statement I’ve made.
Why not ask a neutral fan? Of course Springer is gonna agree with you, we all would if it was our team. I saw HS play 4 times last year, I saw Salem 4 times, Dinwiddie 4, Louisa 3, Monacan once, and Blacksburg on YouTube.

Before I go into my spill I will say that 4a was head and shoulders better than 5a. Region B had 4 undefeated teams alone, Region A was down but had 2 very good teams in King’s Fork (who beat Oscar Smith) and Lafayette who had the best defense I saw all year. Region D had Salem and Blacksburg who I told Mike Salem whoever won that game would be in the State Championship. 5a did not have that depth outside of Stone Bridge, Herm and Highland Springs.

After watching all those teams play (I PUT MY NAME ON THIS), Salem and Louisa would’ve both beaten Springs by at least 2 scores, easily. Both teams were wayyy too disciplined for Highland Springs or Hermitage.

The next 3 teams in line are Monacan, Blacksburg and Dinwiddie. They’d either beat them or the game would’ve been so close, they’d have everyone in 5a’s respect...

Nothing more disrespectful than people not giving 4a its respect. From top to bottom, it’s the best Class in Virginia football.

Why not ask a neutral fan? Of course Springer is gonna agree with you, we all would if it was our team. I saw HS play 4 times last year, I saw Salem 4 times, Dinwiddie 4, Louisa 3, Monacan once, and Blacksburg on YouTube.

Before I go into my spill I will say that 4a was head and shoulders better than 5a. Region B had 4 undefeated teams alone, Region A was down but had 2 very good teams in King’s Fork (who beat Oscar Smith) and Lafayette who had the best defense I saw all year. Region D had Salem and Blacksburg who I told Mike Salem whoever won that game would be in the State Championship. 5a did not have that depth outside of Stone Bridge, Herm and Highland Springs.

After watching all those teams play (I PUT MY NAME ON THIS), Salem and Louisa would’ve both beaten Springs by at least 2 scores, easily. Both teams were wayyy too disciplined for Highland Springs or Hermitage.

The next 3 teams in line are Monacan, Blacksburg and Dinwiddie. They’d either beat them or the game would’ve been so close, they’d have everyone in 5a’s respect...

Nothing more disrespectful than people not giving 4a its respect. From top to bottom, it’s the best Class in Virginia football.
I agree the top 4A teams would have beaten Highland Springs last year. I seen HS play last year twice.

Last edited:
Here is a re-post of what I posted about Louisa in July, with some updates in bold.

Positives
  • Brandon Smith (Penn St) returns, up to 227 lbs and counting, and much stronger than last year, which is scary.
  • Jarett Hunter returns as a junior, is the most well-rounded/dynamic athlete on the team, and is taller. Will most likely be QB. He will mostly play RB and WR.
  • Very good but unproven WR group - 6' 7" receiver Marc Carter returns as a senior. Brandon Smith will probably see more time at WR/TE. The one to watch will be newcomer Noah Robinson, as he has D1 size, speed, and hands. Noah, at 6' 2" 180 lbs. has looked great in the two scrimmages. I can see him utilized the same way as both Hunters.
  • Two returning offensive linemen and a TE who saw time last year.
  • A couple of transfers who should contribute right away. 5' 9" 270 lbs. Adrian 'Night Train' Williams from Courtland is a beast, and will play multiple positions. 6' 2" 190 lbs. QB Rob Allinder from St. Petersburg Florida has done what's been asked of him so far.
  • Coaching staff is young but experienced and knows what it takes to compete with the state's best.
  • Up and coming talented but unproven RBs.
  • LB/RB Reggie Cosby, who got hurt for the year in game 3, will return as a senior. He has grown and bulked up some, could be an x-factor on defense.
Negatives
  • The losses of Malik Bell (VT), Job Whalen (Glenville St) and Raquan Jones (Chowan), who were the reasons the offense was so successful, especially Bell.
  • The starting center, who got hurt for the year midway through the season, will not return due to his knee.
  • The losses of Tony Thurston (JMU) and Devin Jackson-McGhee, two beasts at defensive ends.
  • The losses of Whalen and company on defense, who finally played both ways last year.
  • The loss of Coach Fischer. (But he's still kickin' and doing well!)
Question Marks
  • The QB situation - a transfer from Florida and Hunter will battle for the starting job, but I think it'll ultimately fall to Hunter. If so, I think the other kid will play WR. Allinder has earned the starting job.
  • How will the offense look without Bell? So far, high tempo, wide open and balanced. Similar to last year regarding formations. It remains to be seen if the single wing reappears.
  • How will the offensive line step up? They looked iffy against Brentsville, but showed improvement against better competition at Amherst. Still iffy, though.
  • How will RB Robbie Morgan and fellow new RBs step up? They have huge shoes to fill. So far it's been RB by committee, with Jarett Hunter getting the most carries.
  • How will Smith's supporting cast step up? Fellow LB Austin Sims didn't start until midway through last season and showed flashes, but how will he respond with more new players around? How will the front 7 be? The more pressure they can take off of Smith, the better. So far they've been very aggressive and disciplined. The new defensive line has been stout and the overall defense flies to the ball. However, they haven't faced a physical offense like Courtland yet.
  • The DB core may be better than last year's, led by Hunter and Robinson, but how soon can they gel? Morgan has been doing well so far defensively. So far, so good. With all the pressure the front 7 will bring, I'm hoping the DBs pick off a lot more passes this year than last year.
  • As with EV, will the Lions continue to play with a chip on their shoulders? What leaders will emerge besides Smith? Will Coach Patrick be able to motivate the kids in his own way? It'll be hard to match Fischer in that department, as Coach Meeks learned before Fischer's return. So far, no complaints. Their attitude has been fun to watch. They are already supporting and playing for each other. They have also really rallied around Night Train already.
  • Can the Lions buck the trend of down seasons after playoff runs? If so, it'll be a huge accomplishment and another step up as a program. Consistency is key.

Last edited:
Reactions: VAHSFB2000
Here is a re-post of what I posted about Louisa in July, with some updates in bold.

Positives
  • Brandon Smith (Penn St) returns, up to 227 lbs and counting, and much stronger than last year, which is scary.
  • Jarett Hunter returns as a junior, is the most well-rounded/dynamic athlete on the team, and is taller. Will most likely be QB. He will mostly play RB and WR.
  • Very good but unproven WR group - 6' 7" receiver Marc Carter returns as a senior. Brandon Smith will probably see more time at WR/TE. The one to watch will be newcomer Noah Robinson, as he has D1 size, speed, and hands. Noah, at 6' 2" 180 lbs. has looked great in the two scrimmages. I can see him utilized the same way as both Hunters.
  • A couple of transfers who should contribute right away. 5' 9" 270 lbs. Adrian 'Night Train' Williams from Courtland is a beast, and will play multiple positions. 6' 2" 190 lbs. QB Rob Allinger from St. Petersburg Florida has done what's been asked of him so far.
  • Coaching staff is young but experienced and knows what it takes to compete with the state's best.
  • LB/RB Reggie Cosby, who got hurt for the year in game 3, will return as a senior. He has grown and bulked up some, could be an x-factor on defense.
Negatives
  • The losses of Malik Bell (VT), Job Whalen (Glenville St) and Raquan Jones (Chowan), who were the reasons the offense was so successful, especially Bell.
  • The starting center, who got hurt for the year midway through the season, will not return due to his knee.
  • The losses of Tony Thurston (JMU) and Devin Jackson-McGhee, two beasts at defensive ends.
  • The losses of Whalen and company on defense, who finally played both ways last year.
Question Marks
  • The QB situation - a transfer from Florida and Hunter will battle for the starting job, but I think it'll ultimately fall to Hunter. If so, I think the other kid will play WR. Allinder has earned the starting job.
  • How will the offense look without Bell? So far, high tempo, wide open and balanced. Similar to last year regarding formations. It remains to be seen if the single wing reappears.
  • How will the offensive line step up? They looked iffy against Brentsville, but showed improvement against better competition at Amherst. Still iffy, though.
  • How will RB Robbie Morgan and fellow new RBs step up? They have huge shoes to fill. So far it's been RB by committee, with Jarett Hunter getting the most carries.
  • How will Smith's supporting cast step up? Fellow LB Austin Sims didn't start until midway through last season and showed flashes, but how will he respond with more new players around? How will the front 7 be? The more pressure they can take off of Smith, the better. So far they've been very aggressive and disciplined. The new defensive line has been stout and the overall defense flies to the ball. However, they haven't faced a physical offense like Courtland yet.
  • The DB core may be better than last year's, led by Hunter and Robinson, but how soon can they gel? Morgan has been doing well so far defensively. So far, so good. With all the pressure the front 7 will bring, I'm hoping the DBs pick off a lot more passes this year than last year.
  • As with EV, will the Lions continue to play with a chip on their shoulders? What leaders will emerge besides Smith? Will Coach Patrick be able to motivate the kids in his own way? It'll be hard to match Fischer in that department, as Coach Meeks learned before Fischer's return. So far, no complaints. Their attitude has been fun to watch. They are already supporting and playing for each other. They have also really rallied around Night Train already.
  • Can the Lions buck the trend of down seasons after playoff runs? If so, it'll be a huge accomplishment and another step up as a program. Consistency is key.

"night Train" is a great kid. My son played with him on a few travel leuges. Good people there! Very good pick up by Louisa. Not sure it's known but he can/could run. :) He was a hell of a RB a few years back. Hence the Night train nic name.

Positives
  • A couple of transfers who should contribute right away. 5' 9" 270 lbs. Adrian 'Night Train' Williams from Courtland is a beast, and will play multiple positions. 6' 2" 190 lbs. QB Rob Allinger from St. Petersburg Florida has done what's been asked of him so far.
Negatives
Question Marks
Curious, has Smith been used at Qb? He would probably be damn good there

Im sure the single wing will make an appearance again but then again its a new head coach. Doesn't matter if he was the OC the past couple years, if Fischer wanted to run it you can't go against the head coach .Could be a tactic not to show it but who knows. If im another team im still gonna prepare for it at some point during the week. Better to be prepared.

Interesting to note that the EV article from the Free Lance Star has them as the # 2 team in the Fredericksburg area which includes the counties of Spotsy, Orange, Culpepper, KG, Louisa, Caroline, Stafford and the City where JM resides. They have Courtland ranked in the top five as the #5 team, in tomorrow's paper Colonial Forge will be ranked #1. I find it interesting Louisa even with Smith and the couple others coming back did not make this list which is only preseason projections on what teams have returning. The top 5 are Colonial Forge, EV, North Stafford, Massaponax and Courtland. I guess they see Louisa having to many lost starters even with Smith being back as a reason to keep them out. The finals preseason predictions come out this Friday. The Free Lance Star does a real nice job covering all the area teams. However, their top 5 usually moves around alot during the season!

Nope,
Just pointing out what was said in the paper, and that I was surprised they were not mentioned up there. Also noticed they were left out of the Richmond area top 10? Dude, you got to stop being so defensive, its HS ball. Post it on the bulletin board in your locker room if you feel the need, good graciuos, you guys are going to beat little ol'Ct by 40 Friday night and stomp your way to the finals agian. You guys need not worry about anyone but Highland Springs, opps you do not play them. Heck even if you did, apparently you match up well.

Reactions: VAHSFB2000
Not offended, just making light of your confidence, especially after seeing some Courtland film earlier today. The FLS does an even better job than the Daily Progress of covering us, I know they do their research.

Reactions: OCBoy
ADVERTISEMENT