ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa at Powhatan

Aug 21, 2016
I know it's just Monday, but can't stop thinking about a monster game Friday with Louisa and Powhatan. Both teams 5-0. Louisa hasn't played an away game since August. Will we see the same team we have gotten used to seeing at home? This is also Powhatan's chance to pull away from the narrative that they "Haven't played anyone yet". I've got Louisa 28-20 in a tight game. Should be a fun one.

I know it's just Monday, but can't stop thinking about a monster game Friday with Louisa and Powhatan. Both teams 5-0. Louisa hasn't played an away game since August. Will we see the same team we have gotten used to seeing at home? This is also Powhatan's chance to pull away from the narrative that they "Haven't played anyone yet". I've got Louisa 28-20 in a tight game. Should be a fun one.
I pick Louisa as well

Nah Louisa bigger , unless they don't get off the bus or something. 35-7 . have to look at that Orange game as a solid measurement . How is Orange going to hold Powhatan to just 15 points , you think Louisa is not going to play better defense than Orange? Come on people! :)

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
One of the sportscasters on WRIC Channel 8 (not Chip Brierre, but the good one) said Friday he wants Louisa in their top 10. They've shown both Powhatan and Louisa the last few weeks, which is very rare. I'm sure he'll be at this game, I'll be interested in what they say.

Last edited:
Louisa hasn't played an away game since August. Will we see the same team we have gotten used to seeing at home?
To be honest, I liked the away version of Louisa more than the home version. To go into hostile Arrowhead, make all those mistakes, and come out with a win shows a ton of heart and grit. The fumble strip and recovery at the goal line summed up the team with one play. That first game answered any questions about this team already, IMO.

Should be interesting. Powhatan lost to the Lions in the Jungle last year on a two point conversion 8-7. Probably will be more scoring than that with both teams having potent running attacks. Turnovers and special teams will be the difference. Powhatan 20 Louisa 13.

Its power versus power and Louisa has more of it. May be close for a few quarters, but Louisa will remain unbeaten. Too many weapons for the Lions. Play action passes with short to intermediate routes could help Powhatan control the clock and stay within striking distance.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Its power versus power and Louisa has more of it. May be close for a few quarters, but Louisa will remain unbeaten. Too many weapons for the Lions. Play action passes with short to intermediate routes could help Powhatan control the clock and stay within striking distance.
Yeah, ask Hopewell!

Should be interesting. Powhatan lost to the Lions in the Jungle last year on a two point conversion 8-7. Probably will be more scoring than that with both teams having potent running attacks. Turnovers and special teams will be the difference. Powhatan 20 Louisa 13.

Hey appydawg, can you post a picture of your stadium. I see where a number of folks have listed it as one of their favorites. I've never had the opportunity to go there and I'm curious what it looks like. Thanks.

Looks nice. Thanks. It doesn't look very old. New, or remodeled in recent years?

It was built within the last 15 years. My favorite part of the stadium are the steps and ramps leading down to it. And the food, of course.

Hey Culpepper guys, I worked with a great guy many years ago from up there. He is retired now from the Chesterfield Fire Dept. He was also a private pilot, and loved golf. Any chance any of this rings familiar?

Navy told me they have a terrific softball complex in Powhatan somewhere too. And like you Hoos, he raved about the food. There was something unique that he raved about, that they offered, and you never see it at concession stands, but I can't remember.

Someone beat me to the punch on the pic but yes the High School opened in 2003 and play began on the athletic fields in '04.

Hey appydawg, can you post a picture of your stadium. I see where a number of folks have listed it as one of their favorites. I've never had the opportunity to go there and I'm curious what it looks like. Thanks.
It is an amazing venue. Spectacular lighting also. One of my favorite stadiums to watch a game.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Powhatan's QB is very good at play-action fakes, Louisa can't fall for them. I think Quinton Ragland, Tony Thurston, Devin Jackson-McGhee and Brandon Smith will have a very good game on defense for the Lions.

Last edited:
Its hard to say because last year was dessimated with season ending injuries. I would say that so far they have played better than they did last year.

Channel 8's story: http://wric.com/2016/10/07/8sportsblitz-rivalry-of-the-week-louisa-and-powhatan/

And Scrimmage Play's preview

Louisa County (5-0) at Powhatan (5-0)

The basics: This is the the moment of truth. Both teams have been tested in their out-of-district schedule. The Lions still have Orange County which could be a close game. The Indians still have Albemarle which could be a close game. Both squads still have Charlottesville on the schedule soon, again another close game. But none of those teams quite pose the threat that they do to each other right now. It’s the second-ranked Lions in Region 4A East hitting the road to face the fourth ranked Indians. Louisa is coming off a drubbing of Fluvanna County while Powhatan handled Western Albemarle. The winner here is on a fast track to potentially come out with the top seed in Region 4A East. This is going to be a battle.

Key matchup: Powhatan running backs Justin Deleon and Cody Lewis against the Lions 3-5-3 look. So with Quinton Ragland and Tony Thurston up front on the defensive line, the Lions have a lot of ways to use their bevy of linebackers. Deleon and Lewis have to run hard and make this linebacking corps miss. This is strength on strength and the Indians have to win this battle. Louisa’s defense has shown it can be flexible in so many ways and how they decide to attack this Powhatan defense is going to be different from the game films from Sherando, Courtland, King George or Albemarle. So it’s going to come down to Deleon and Lewis moving the chains and most importantly, not coughing up the football against an aggresive defense.

Who to watch: Louisa running back Job Whalen. While the Lions have featured Malik Bell, Whalen and Raquan Jones in a mixture up front, don’t be surprised if they unleash Whalen here for a 30-some carry game like we saw in week two against Courtland. If he’s successful initially it’s going to set up Bell to be the hammer that he is and then the Lions’ passing game to find Jordan Cherry and company for those dagger type plays.

The line: Louisa by 4. The Lions have the physical advantage on offense and defense, but have to avoid a slow start.

Last edited:
Hoos you know scrimmage play is a JOKE! They just want to sell their subscription to these local high schools who are winning. Lions will win and most likely I say by a large margin. Not the margin my Flucos got beat by last week by Louisa but significant. I will say this as I have said often this year the JD is flat out bad. Louisa is solid, but I do not know how far they make a run in the playoffs. Louisa cannot have any slip ups or they may squander an opportunity for a deep play off run.

Reactions: OCBoy
Hoos you know scrimmage play is a JOKE! They just want to sell their subscription to these local high schools who are winning. Lions will win and most likely I say by a large margin. Not the margin my Flucos got beat by last week by Louisa but significant. I will say this as I have said often this year the JD is flat out bad. Louisa is solid, but I do not know how far they make a run in the playoffs. Louisa cannot have any slip ups or they may squander an opportunity for a deep play off run.

JD is deeper then you say. 2 5-0 teams. Cville is actually good this year. Albemarle beat Patrick Henry who is now 4-1 and very good. Albemarle only lost to Brookville and Louisa. Orange is not bad, just some good teams they've played. Monticello and Western are having down years, yes, but they are not bad teams.

I have to disagree about Monticello. Fluvanna might give them a decent game haha.

The Times Dispatch picked Powhatan. Maybe they know something, ha.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT