ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa question

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
Thought Hiter and Carter had transferred? I see that Carter has been tagging some coaches from a private school in Fredericksburg but it’s head scratching because they play D3 ball in the private ranks.

Thought Hiter and Carter had transferred? I see that Carter has been tagging some coaches from a private school in Fredericksburg but it’s head scratching because they play D3 ball in the private ranks.
I don't know anything about either of these young men's plan for the fall but I do know that St. Michael's is doing some great things with it's football program. They are building similarly to what Life Christian did a few seasons ago. The school has been around for a while but they recently added football in 2017 or 2018 I believe. They have great facilities and a great coaching staff that does a great job of getting guys to the next level. They won the D3 championship last season and will continue to get better. I say all of that to say that, I wouldn't be surprised if several top recruits transferred there in the years to come.

Both of their Twitter profiles still list them with Louisa High School. At this point, both are very much on the recruiting radar screen. So wouldn't seem a switch in programs would have any effect on their recruitment.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I don't know anything about either of these young men's plan for the fall but I do know that St. Michael's is doing some great things with it's football program. They are building similarly to what Life Christian did a few seasons ago. The school has been around for a while but they recently added football in 2017 or 2018 I believe. They have great facilities and a great coaching staff that does a great job of getting guys to the next level. They won the D3 championship last season and will continue to get better. I say all of that to say that, I wouldn't be surprised if several top recruits transferred there in the years to come.
I feel you. I’m familiar with their program. They won the state championship this past season by default (had nobody to play). Why transfer there when you already have offers and will play way better teams at Louisa? That’s not for you to answer, it’s just more sensible to me 😂

Reactions: VolNation85
Does anyone have Louisa schedule yet. I see the play massaponax and patrick henry ashland. Also they scrimmage Freedom Woodbridge but I don't know the rest of their schedule.

I feel you. I’m familiar with their program. They won the state championship this past season by default (had nobody to play). Why transfer there when you already have offers and will play way better teams at Louisa? That’s not for you to answer, it’s just more sensible to me 😂
LOL I got you.

If those two are back, you have to think Louisa wins the region. Freeman & Bird will be very good but Louisa would be significantly better than everyone but Freeman and Bird in that region with Highland Springs and Glen Allen moving up to Class 6.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
If those two are back, you have to think Louisa wins the region. Freeman & Bird will be very good but Louisa would be significantly better than everyone but Freeman and Bird in that region with Highland Springs and Glen Allen moving up to Class 6.
It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm not ready to give the region title to Louisa just yet. They lost Landon Wilson to graduation. He was a 4 year starter at QB and their leader. Carter and Hiter are the big time recruits but Wilson was the x-factor for them. It's always tough to replace a starting QB but especially one that's been starting since 2019.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm not ready to give the region title to Louisa just yet. They lost Landon Wilson to graduation. He was a 4 year starter at QB and their leader. Carter and Hiter are the big time recruits but Wilson was the x-factor for them. It's always tough to replace a starting QB but especially one that's been starting since 2019.
Wilson’s younger brother will be the starter. I give the edge to Louisa because they’re a plug and play program. Freeman is going to be good but they haven’t done anything in the playoffs with much more on their rosters. I’d say it’s Bird at 1 and Louisa & Freeman at 2A & 2B. I got James River, Godwin, Franklin County and PH next in line. The region won’t be nearly as strong as it’s been. Varina, Bird , Highland Springs, and Herm was the best region in the state.

Reactions: VolNation85
Wilson’s younger brother will be the starter. I give the edge to Louisa because they’re a plug and play program. Freeman is going to be good but they haven’t done anything in the playoffs with much more on their rosters. I’d say it’s Bird at 1 and Louisa & Freeman at 2A & 2B. I got James River, Godwin, Franklin County and PH next in line. The region won’t be nearly as strong as it’s been. Varina, Bird , Highland Springs, and Herm was the best region in the state.
Stone Bridge will be happy going back to the title game against Maury.

Both kids have officially transferred. Still a huge head scratcher to me. Carter’s older brother did the same, had the same kind of potential..Haven’t heard much from him in college. I’ll say this, competing against Maury, King’s Fork, Stone Bridge, and the big boys of VA football >>>> playing a meaningless game at the end of the year against Episcopal. No bitter parent, no Louisa fan, just think private ball (unless it’s St. Frances, St. John’s, Gonzaga, DeMatha, etc.) isn’t a step up from C4 or C5 football.

Both kids have officially transferred. Still a huge head scratcher to me. Carter’s older brother did the same, had the same kind of potential..Haven’t heard much from him in college. I’ll say this, competing against Maury, King’s Fork, Stone Bridge, and the big boys of VA football >>>> playing a meaningless game at the end of the year against Episcopal. No bitter parent, no Louisa fan, just think private ball (unless it’s St. Frances, St. John’s, Gonzaga, DeMatha, etc.) isn’t a step up from C4 or C5 football.
Have you ever thought about the fact that these young men and their families might have made the transfer decision based on something more than just football? Sure, you can get a great education at just about any public school in Virginia but few schools offer the academic opportunities that these young men will have at Woodberry.

I would also note that kids from Virginia private schools go on to play football at Power 5 schools every year.

Reactions: Senex
Have you ever thought about the fact that these young men and their families might have made the transfer decision based on something more than just football? Sure, you can get a great education at just about any public school in Virginia but few schools offer the academic opportunities that these young men will have at Woodberry.

I would also note that kids from Virginia private schools go on to play football at Power 5 schools every year.
Not really that much different with strong honors and AP curriculums offered at Louisa. Unless you’re at an underperforming school and transferring to a private, private school hurts you more than helps. Louisa is one of the better schools in Central VA.

They got sold on quality of education, I’m sure. Helps to have a beautiful campus. But I kinda agree with Bo as it relates to football recruiting and actual academic rigor. Perhaps their families valued free Woodberry more highly for certain reasons. Who knows…

There’s no difference in a schools like Louisa, Western Albemarle, Monticello, Albemarle, Spotsylvania, Massaponax, really anything in that corridor, to private schools. Those schools are competitive to any schools in VA, private or public. The bigger schools in NoVA have more AP classes and are hyped to be higher achieving. Louisa is a great school, I’d feel comfortable sending my child there and knowing they’d be prepared for college. I’m an educator and would not say that about a lot of the localities in VA.

Not really that much different with strong honors and AP curriculums offered at Louisa. Unless you’re at an underperforming school and transferring to a private, private school hurts you more than helps. Louisa is one of the better schools in Central VA.
If you’ve never been to one of these truly honored private schools,you’re clueless! These are highly structured educational programs with far better systems than public schools and it’s not even close. Do you realize there hasn’t been a fight that caused disciplinary action at Woodberry Forest in 7 years? 11 years for Maggie Walker? THAT’S THE DIFFERENCE! It’s called DISCIPLINE!

Reactions: gwb16 and Senex
Ehhh. There are no fights not because of discipline. It's because these are handpicked kids that are there to fill these private schools agendas. But this isn't the same as leaving Mechanicsville high school for better opportunities, this is leaving LOUISA a known Virginia power that produces power 5 kids every year. And cut the BS they aren't leaving for "academic reasons".

If you’ve never been to one of these truly honored private schools,you’re clueless! These are highly structured educational programs with far better systems than public schools and it’s not even close. Do you realize there hasn’t been a fight that caused disciplinary action at Woodberry Forest in 7 years? 11 years for Maggie Walker? THAT’S THE DIFFERENCE! It’s called DISCIPLINE!
LOL… You really wrote this with a straight face? Kids are kids no matter where you go. Kids at MWGS may not be fighting but trust and believe they have problems within that school. Ask any educator about the challenges of working at these “elite schools”. Your posts are comical though.

I stand corrected. @BroddyD broke down the older brother’s college career. He did in fact ball out (https://fordhamsports.com/sports/football/roster/dequece-carter/11803). My point was because he went to an FCS school, I hadn’t heard a lot about him & he could’ve went FCS from Louisa. HoosFan was very high on him and thought he may come back to Louisa to team up with Brandon Smith. Louisa would’ve at least won two C4 state championships. Older Carter was a 4 year power 5 talent. I believe he would’ve gotten more recognition at Louisa but hats off to him for having a great career at Fordham.

This is a great discussion and I agree that Louisa is a very good public school. In fact, their reading, math, and language arts scores are in the top 5% of all Virginia Public Schools. I also have to say that the top Private Schools in Virginia's academic programs are quite intense and heavily recruited by the finer colleges in Virginia.

Another huge sell for the private schools are facilities, extracurricular activities, and after football opportunities. During my officiating days I can tell you the playing fields, dressing rooms, and other amenities were unreal. Have any of you ever seen Collegiates athletic complex? It makes most non D1 college facilities look very underwhelming.

I can't speak on private school discipline, but I can surely offer a first hand opinion on the lack of discipline (kids, teachers and administration) often demonstrated in public schools. Some of you may take my head off for this, but you have to be a pure hero to work in public schools today. In my day a child would rarely if ever argue with a teacher. Now teachers are assaulted daily and most of the parents could give a rip. I hear the blaming and excuses all the time. God bless you @BoKnowsSports for still giving a hoot about these kids. I am not implying Louisa is like that. Heck every kid and parent I have met from there has been respectful and friendly.

I have no clue about why these kids transferred and frankly it's their parents decision. We should all root them on wherever they end up. A kids football career could end in a matter of seconds. Need to have something solid to fall back on. By the way, the elder Carter kid transferred to Indiana in January of 2023.

In my opinion I feel this brings up a good and unique question. If your school wasn't dominate in sports like football and maybe have a loosing record would you still be glad that your went to your school.

I feel like this post reveals more about the poor academic/behavioral situation at Highland Springs than anything else.

Given this man said that every Highland Springs kid was born there (hell I’m still trying to find where this hospital is in Sandston), I think Hoosprings is a good dude but a little out of the loop on things.

@BleedingNavy is on point. SOME public school systems are in a very bad shape. Insubordination (it’s at an all time high), attendance (kids and staff) and lack of leadership are the biggest reasons why SOME school systems are so bad. I tell you what refreshed my outlook on the public school system. I attended the Cave Spring/Northside state semi basketball game back in March. Gym was packed to the rafters but those kids were so well behaved and respectful. It’s all about culture and climate. When you let the kids do whatever they want and let the parents take zero accountability, you get fighting, you get kids not coming to school, being disrespectful to adults and not caring about education. Not all places are like this, but it’s concerning that so many are.

Given this man said that every Highland Springs kid was born there (hell I’m still trying to find where this hospital is in Sandston), I think Hoosprings is a good dude but a little out of the loop on things.

@BleedingNavy is on point. SOME public school systems are in a very bad shape. Insubordination (it’s at an all time high), attendance (kids and staff) and lack of leadership are the biggest reasons why SOME school systems are so bad. I tell you what refreshed my outlook on the public school system. I attended the Cave Spring/Northside state semi basketball game back in March. Gym was packed to the rafters but those kids were so well behaved and respectful. It’s all about culture and climate. When you let the kids do whatever they want and let the parents take zero accountability, you get fighting, you get kids not coming to school, being disrespectful to adults and not caring about education. Not all places are like this, but it’s concerning that so many are.
Yep, all about leadership. Real school leadership with accountability results in a positive school climate. There will always be some discipline issues anywhere, but school culture is a real thing. The best leaders understand how to positively impact school culture. High expectations & real accountability is a good start.

Yep, all about leadership. Real school leadership with accountability results in a positive school climate. There will always be some discipline issues anywhere, but school culture is a real thing. The best leaders understand how to positively impact school culture. High expectations & real accountability is a good start.
Well said @WP02alum; however, I am afraid those days are long gone. I know this post may make me sound like a bitter old man, but it's almost impossible to fight the narcissism that exist today. It's all about getting "mine" and not ours. How can you have a team (work or play) if it's all about me.

I was raised to be a servant and I have proudly done so for 35 years. I am beginning to think the word should be "sucker"! Coaches, teachers, and other people who serve the public sacrifice so much and expect so little in return. Once proud and honest professions are now societies puppets and scared to think for themselves.

I still enjoy watching the kids compete on Friday nights, but I prefer to see them grow by the hard work they have to put forth to be successful. Life is about failures and you will never have accountability until people accept that. Learn to fail, evaluate what you did wrong, and make sure it doesn't happen again. Quit blaming everyone else for being who and what you are. Damn, I am fantasizing again.

To get away from the public/private education aspect (by the way, when the bar is set so low in public schools, it's easier to achieve the bar), I want to reiterate again that Louisa County remaining in the Jefferson District does them no good to help them prepare for the postseason. They should have gone to the Commonwealth or the western-most Class 5 District in the Richmond area (you Richmond-area folks would know that better than I).

Well said @WP02alum; however, I am afraid those days are long gone. I know this post may make me sound like a bitter old man, but it's almost impossible to fight the narcissism that exist today. It's all about getting "mine" and not ours. How can you have a team (work or play) if it's all about me.

I was raised to be a servant and I have proudly done so for 35 years. I am beginning to think the word should be "sucker"! Coaches, teachers, and other people who serve the public sacrifice so much and expect so little in return. Once proud and honest professions are now societies puppets and scared to think for themselves.

I still enjoy watching the kids compete on Friday nights, but I prefer to see them grow by the hard work they have to put forth to be successful. Life is about failures and you will never have accountability until people accept that. Learn to fail, evaluate what you did wrong, and make sure it doesn't happen again. Quit blaming everyone else for being who and what you are. Damn, I am fantasizing again.
I teach in the Fredericksburg area & my principal runs our school this way. It’s wonderful and the school culture within the building is very positive as a result.

You can’t fix awful, entitled parents, but with a strong principal who has the backing of his boss, those negative parents’ impact on everyone else can be limited.

To get away from the public/private education aspect (by the way, when the bar is set so low in public schools, it's easier to achieve the bar), I want to reiterate again that Louisa County remaining in the Jefferson District does them no good to help them prepare for the postseason. They should have gone to the Commonwealth or the western-most Class 5 District in the Richmond area (you Richmond-area folks would know that better than I).
Are they really playing better teams at Woodberry though? WF played Trinity and Bennedictine but they’d get a crack at the Richmond teams in C5. Your 1st tier public school teams are just as good as those very good VA private school teams.

Last edited:
Are they really playing better teams at Woodberry though? WF played Trinity and Bennedictine but they’d get a crack at the Richmond teams in C5. Your 1st tier public school teams are just as good as those very good VA private school teams.
Now that Highland Springs has moved to D6,There isn’t a single D5 school in RVA that can beat Trinity! If you don’t know how Trinity has built their program,just go look at the RVA East end Rec teams. A majority of their kids come from there. I’m not saying 100% of them,but 75%+ is from the east end. A few were teammates with Khristian Martin at Chamberlain rec team. Those Private schools are loading up on Power 5 talent. Trinity has a rising Sophomore 5-star WR. They also have 2 rising Sophomore 6’3 230lb LBs(Last name is Love) that came through Chamberlain rec that would start anywhere in RVA. Once again….these schools don’t have discipline issues within the student body. It’s INSTANT dismissal from the school with forfeiture of tuition. Perhaps this kid’s parents got him out of public schools to help him concentrate on academics and not having to worry about any BS conflicts(fights at school)in the student body. This kid has already proven himself and colleges have noticed. Being picked as a first team freshman all-American speaks for itself.regardless of your on field competition

Now that Highland Springs has moved to D6,There isn’t a single D5 school in RVA that can beat Trinity! If you don’t know how Trinity has built their program,just go look at the RVA East end Rec teams. A majority of their kids come from there. I’m not saying 100% of them,but 75%+ is from the east end. A few were teammates with Khristian Martin at Chamberlain rec team. Those Private schools are loading up on Power 5 talent. Trinity has a rising Sophomore 5-star WR. They also have 2 rising Sophomore 6’3 230lb LBs(Last name is Love) that came through Chamberlain rec that would start anywhere in RVA. Once again….these schools don’t have discipline issues within the student body. It’s INSTANT dismissal from the school with forfeiture of tuition. Perhaps this kid’s parents got him out of public schools to help him concentrate on academics and not having to worry about any BS conflicts(fights at school)in the student body. This kid has already proven himself and colleges have noticed. Being picked as a first team freshman all-American speaks for itself.regardless of your on field competition
Understood but Woodberry isn’t Trinity, not even close to the caliber program. Probably has more history though. Woodberry doesn’t even play for a state championship.

D5 is down in RVA. Herm will be a bottom feeder team until there is a change, still not sold on Bird as they’ll lose some more talent to Manchester and Huguenot, Freeman isn’t dependable and finds a way to lose the big one.. Louisa would be the team to beat, especially building off of playing Salem two years straight and upping their schedule for the C5 ranks. It is what it is, those kid’s and the parent’s choice.

And it ain’t no fighting going on at Louisa. Kids with behavior problems are few and far between at schools like Powhatan, Goochland, Louisa, Western Albemarle, etc. As @WP02alum stated, you’re speaking solely for what’s going on in Henrico County. Just to end that narrative of what you’re saying.

I know Trinity has all of the talent right now, but I'm not sold on them running the gauntlet of a public school schedule like they do in private. Would they be one of the better teams? Absolutely, but I'm sure the toughness and physicality needed to beat these C5 teams week in and week out is much higher than whatever their current schedule is.

I know Trinity has all of the talent right now, but I'm not sold on them running the gauntlet of a public school schedule like they do in private. Would they be one of the better teams? Absolutely, but I'm sure the toughness and physicality needed to beat these C5 teams week in and week out is much higher than whatever their current schedule is.
They wouldn’t beat Dinwiddie, Dale, Varina, Manchester or the Springs.

Well I guess my next question with Trinity is (and I'm truly not trying to accuse or imply anything here) but if they keep getting talent from some of the better public schools here, are they content with stomping out the other lesser Virginia privates, or is this slowly turning into a national program?

Well I guess my next question with Trinity is (and I'm truly not trying to accuse or imply anything here) but if they keep getting talent from some of the better public schools here, are they content with stomping out the other lesser Virginia privates, or is this slowly turning into a national program?
Great question. Trinity just has more talent than any of the private schools in RVA, shifting places with Benedictine. Now most of those Benedictine teams could’ve played with anyone but I think the competition is down in the private league. I mean, just 7-8 years ago it was unheard of to have 8 man teams, but now a lot of schools just doesn’t have the numbers. The D3 classification didn’t even compete for the playoffs this past year. Even private school basketball is down besides the O’Connell’s and Paul VI’s but they care wayyyy more about competing against the DeMatha’s of the world than the VA private championship.

Trinity is good, Woodberry is middle of the road. Neither is competing with the better public school teams. Why do people think Trinity dodges playing Varina and Highland Springs in 7 on 7s and benefit games (those games would attract thousands)??? They played Varina in basketball a few years back when they had Armando Bacot and it was SRO in Varina’s gym and they packed the bottom bowl of the Coliseum.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT