ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa vs C'ville

86CulpGrad

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
Last year C'ville rolled up 50+ and beat Louisa. What are the main differences between the 2 teams this year related to last year? From the way this year has played out, I would anticipate Louisa winning easily. Is this not be be expected?

Last year C'ville rolled up 50+ and beat Louisa. What are the main differences between the 2 teams this year related to last year? From the way this year has played out, I would anticipate Louisa winning easily. Is this not be be expected?

I would say Louisa is a little bit healthier than last year and are playing a few more of their best players both ways. But last year in the 2nd half Charlottesville and Sabis Folley simply pound them into submission. I don’t think it will be an easy win at all for Louisa but if it is then lookout because the Lions would have faced every type of offense you will see in the playoffs and stopped them.

In Louisa’s 3 losses last year they gave up 35+ points in each one. Any game they held the opponent under 35 they won so not hard to figure out that the defense has been the key to the turnaround. I think the DC this year is a kid that was on that ‘06 Lions squad, Mike Clemens.

Last year, Louisa was very injured and we were playing for a spot in the playoffs. We came out ready to rumble and Louisa's QB Bell went out at some point in the game and that was a big factor. This year, Louisa is much healthier. We are also coming into this game with no injuries, but our defense is pretty abhorrent. Our offensive rating is a 93 on VHSL Reference, but Louisa's D has shut down some good offenses. They killed Monticello (we haven't played them yet) Albemarle (we lost 32-29, but Albemarle IS much improved granted) Orange (we won 57-47) Powhatan (we won 35-13) and Western they beat 22-8 while we fell into a 14-0 hole early but pulled out the win 35-26. I think our boys will come out ready to play, but Louisa is just on a freaking mission this year. So Louisa's keys to the games lie in stopping our triple-option and just have a field day with our defense (which isn't hard granted). I think the biggest matchup in this game is Louisa's D versus our O. Albemarle is the only team who has had any success slowing it down this year and we still scored 29. We have a great O-line, a real sneaky QB, an unstopable RB and some of the quickest guys in the region in Rakeem Davis and Tre Durrett. We've done really well in shootouts this year, so Louisa does not want to get in a you score then we score and last one to score wins situation with us. So if Louisa can stop us even a couple of times, I think the game is theirs. I'm telling you, if Louisa gets into a track meet with us, it's going to be real close. I honestly believe if the game is close in the 4th quarter we can almost score at will. The only reason Albemarle beat us is because they held on to the ball for almost the entire 4th quarter. Louisa is averaging 46.3 ppg and we're averaging 42.3. I think the game plan for us should be tighten the heck up on D and like last year, pound the Lions using Folley.

If we want any hope of hosting a playoff game in Region D we NEED to win this one and next week against Monticello to go 8-2. This is another test to see just how good the Lions really are and if they can make noise in 4B.

Last edited:
For the Lions to go up 62-7 on Monticello before they scored on the backups, and then Monticello bouncing back and pounding Powhatan 49-7 (I thought it would be a close game), it shows just how good Louisa is. There is still much room for improvement, however. My gut says this will be another statement this week, but I still remember last year's game as if it was yesterday.

Last edited:
For the Lions to go up 62-7 on Monticello before they scored on the backups, and then Monticello bouncing back and pounding Powhatan 49-7 (I thought it would be a close game), it shows just how good Louisa is. There is still much room for improvement, however. My gut says this will be another statement this week, but I still remember last year's game as if it was yesterday.

This is a chance for Louisa to make a statement this week. Now let’s see what happens

No statement game. Louisa will cruise by 50+. I have said 11-1 for them maybe even 12-1. The region is super tough Lions have stayed healthy all season they do have their back up center in. I just don't believe they can beat dinwiddie and not sure about them beating Monacan. The JD does not prepare them. Could be interesting if courtland keeps winning would Louisa play them again in the first round. I say Louisa would win big but interesting how courtland is in playoff contention after being 0-4...oh wait everyone makes the playoffs now.

No statement game. Louisa will cruise by 50+. I have said 11-1 for them maybe even 12-1. The region is super tough Lions have stayed healthy all season they do have their back up center in. I just don't believe they can beat dinwiddie and not sure about them beating Monacan. The JD does not prepare them. Could be interesting if courtland keeps winning would Louisa play them again in the first round. I say Louisa would win big but interesting how courtland is in playoff contention after being 0-4...oh wait everyone makes the playoffs now.

Wow nobody thinks C’ville has any juice huh. Considering how C’ville hung with Glass... A Louisa blowout should put not just region B on notice but all of 4a... if C’ville has any heart now would be the time to show it!

Charlottesville gave up 47 points to Orange, 32 to Albemarle last week. What you think Louisa is going to do? Score at will, surprised it’s a game a of the week. Three teams who haven’t played a quality opponent this year. 1. Ev. 2. Louisa . 3. Millbrook. We will see what happens in the playoffs, all three could live up to being great teams .

Wow nobody thinks C’ville has any juice huh. Considering how C’ville hung with Glass... A Louisa blowout should put not just region B on notice but all of 4a... if C’ville has any heart now would be the time to show it!

Charlottesville gave up 47 points to Orange, 32 to Albemarle last week. What you think Louisa is going to do? Score at will, surprised it’s a game a of the week. Three teams who haven’t played a quality opponent this year. 1. Ev. 2. Louisa . 3. Millbrook. We will see what happens in the playoffs, all three could live up to being great teams .

Hammy do you just chalk up the Glass -C'ville game to first game jitters, non familiar opponents, beginners luck? What do you think of Glass?

The only statement that will be made is if Louisa doesn't score at least 50. This is actually a good situation for the lions. If C'ville can score, it will give Louisa justification for playing their starters for 4 qtrs which will help their conditioning.

Reactions: mbonape1
I for one can’t get the imagine of Sabias Folley gutting that Louisa defense out of my head. I don’t think it will be a blow out at all. The Lions will be fortunate as long as the final score has Louisa up by 1. I’m most excited to watch 4 star recruit Brandon Smith vs. Folley on those triple option dives. Those plays will fill a highlight reel for somebody. And if Smith misses will Malik Bell step up from safety and take on the big fella from Cville. And if that happens then you win the prize of trying to stop Neale and the two burners on toss and option pitch. It will take a disciplined and physical Lion defense to stop them. I know the Lions at one point this year were focused on avenging their Western loss from last year, now is a chance to do the same with CVille.

Remember Charlottesville.

Cville is going to double/triple team Brandon Smith every time Folley runs the ball. I want to see Louisa's defensive line and other linebackers step up, compared to last year. So far this season they have all been great, but Cville will have the best offensive line and running game Louisa has seen since the Jefferson Forest scrimmage.

Can Charlottesville throw the ball?

When needed. Neale reminds me a bit of Jalen Hurts, his running game is stronger than his passing. He's only thrown for 316 yards and 3 TDs and I think he only have one or two interceptions on the year. However, he's rushed for 811 yards and 6 TDs on the ground.

Hammy do you just chalk up the Glass -C'ville game to first game jitters, non familiar opponents, beginners luck? What do you think of Glass?
Can’t really say haven’t seen Glass, but only 21 points against the Charlottesville D is not that impressive. It was game one though , so things change over the season. Bottom line Louisa wins by 28 to 35 plus or they are not a state contender.

Reactions: OCBoy and mbonape1
I wouldn't buy into the O/D ratings on VHSL-Ref, it also says Salem this year is barely worse on O and D than last year's state title team and the O has a higher rating this year than the monster team that won state in 2015.

As far as this goes and as much as this often applies to Louisa, I'm going to need to see Cville do it first before I believe they can. Louisa seems to be pretty good so I'd say them by 25. I think anything short of a blowout can be considered a plus for Cville short of the obvious win.

Can’t really say haven’t seen Glass, but only 21 points against the Charlottesville D is not that impressive. It was game one though , so things change over the season. Bottom line Louisa wins by 28 to 35 plus or they are not a state contender.
Glass was not very good on offense. They had at least 6 turnovers. The starting qb for glass was playing in his first football game since he was 9. I don't know how Glass stacks up against the best but I will bet you no coach wants to see them in the playoffs. I think Louisa wins but stopping c-ville on offense is as much scheme as it is Jimmys and Joes. Also, great players can be minimized, if they can't block you then they will read you. Betting c-ville makes it a game and puts up some points.

Glass is going to go 8-2/9-1 and we almost beat them, and Albemarle is going to finish 6-4 after they finally decided on a freaking QB. If they had done that earlier they would be 7-3.

Reactions: mbonape1
I totally agree it's fair to look down on the Jefferson after their recent playoff failures. We'll see if any of us can make some noise this year...

3 of Albemarle's 4 wins are by 5, 7, and 3 points while only one loss, PH, was within a score (1 point). They're way closer to 1-7 than 7-1 or anything else really. That's a bad loss, you can't sell that otherwise.

Albemarle is going to finish 6-4 after they finally decided on a freaking QB. If they had done that earlier they would be 7-3.
Albemarle has had Anderson as the QB for three seasons now. #4 has only played QB when Anderson got hurt, and played the first game because Anderson was suspended.

Last edited:
Albemarle got blown out by Louisa , loses to Orange, and then beats Charlottesville. Bottom line , should be easy win for Louisa against Charlottesville. Louisa 42-14

Courtland has improved a heckuva lot from the first 4 games of the season. Coach Hall has made some tweaks and moves on offense and the schedule has gotten much more manageable. Courtland finishing 6-4 shouldn't shock anyone, they've done it before (2010). I'm not sure that this year's team however, can do what that year's team did, and win the region. So many tough teams in 4B, hopefully the Cougars can compete in their first round matchup.

In terms of Louisa vs. Charlottesville.....the Lions, by a lot! Louisa is on a mission for Coach Fischer.

Courtland has improved a heckuva lot from the first 4 games of the season. Coach Hall has made some tweaks and moves on offense and the schedule has gotten much more manageable. Courtland finishing 6-4 shouldn't shock anyone, they've done it before (2010). I'm not sure that this year's team however, can do what that year's team did, and win the region. So many tough teams in 4B, hopefully the Cougars can compete in their first round matchup.

In terms of Louisa vs. Charlottesville.....the Lions, by a lot! Louisa is on a mission for Coach Fischer.
Not sure if they've improved "a heckuva lot". Combined opponents record of their first 4 games is 30-3.....last four games 10-24. Assuming they will win their last 2 games.

I think this game will tell us more about C’ville than Louisa.

I think it is pretty obvious that Louisa being 8-0 and crushing it’s opponents.... is at the very least a top 10 team. I personally believe they are a top 5 squad based on the evidence thus far.

That being the case, is C’ville even within arms reach of being a top 10 squad? If so, now would be a good time to show it!

With that being said, A Louisa blowout should cement Louisa as a top 5 squad in 4a or else we just aren’t being far with our evaluations.

The winner of the KF vs DC game becomes my number 4 followed by Louisa should they handle C’ville

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
If we beat Louisa and Monticello, who have a combined record of 15-1, that would secure a home game and probably a top 3 spot in Region D.
We need these wins.

Not so fast my man. At worst Glass will be 8-2..GW will be 9-1.. Blacksburg..9-1.. Salem will prob win out and be the 4th seed.

I did the math...if we finish 8-2 (don't worry, I find this highly unlikely LOL) then we would beat out 8-2 Salem and 9-1 GW in terms of power points most likely, unless all of GW's foes win a lot of games in the next two weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT