ADVERTISEMENT

Mac

I'm not expecting Martinsville to win the whole thing. I most certainly wouldn't give it to Gate City either. I know Mac is the real deal but we have to see if his supporting cast steps up.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I'm not expecting Martinsville to win the whole thing. I most certainly wouldn't give it to Gate City either. I know Mac is the real deal but we have to see if his supporting cast steps up.
Yessir I agree. 2a will be a toss up imo. The Dogs will be one of the top 2 teams for sure. I'd probably think Radford would be the favorite with them moving up to 2a. That Jones kid is the truth and they're returning a good bunch of kids.

The lil PG on Radford's team is their best player. This season should be interesting. I wouldn't put my Dawgs in the top 2, maybe the top 10. My Dawgs will be held back the myopic coaching.

Ok - I will bite - could you explain the nearsightedness? You can give me the shortened version so we don't hijack a thread about a young man from another school.

Shortened version is the lack of imagination on the defensive side of the basketball. The 2-3 defense is so vanilla. The 23 D is perfect against teams that can't shoot from the outside..Martinsville has had a ton of athletes the past few years. Why not trap, 3/4s press, full court press? If you have the weapons on your team, use them to the max.

Mac is the nicest WB since JJ in va hsbb except he is way more athletic... but not as good a shooter lol. It will be interesting to see who lands Mac but Gate City has got to be a big time favorite!

Mac is the nicest WB since JJ in va hsbb except he is way more athletic... but not as good a shooter lol. It will be interesting to see who lands Mac but Gate City has got to be a big time favorite!
Ben Boggs from Hidden Valley was up there too. He signed with Tech but ended his career at Valpo. Can't forget about Luke Hancock who helped Louisville win the Natty in 13.

Reactions: AntGZee
Shortened version is the lack of imagination on the defensive side of the basketball. The 2-3 defense is so vanilla. The 23 D is perfect against teams that can't shoot from the outside..Martinsville has had a ton of athletes the past few years. Why not trap, 3/4s press, full court press? If you have the weapons on your team, use them to the max.

That's not our grandfather's 2-3 zone that the Dogs are playing. It's nothing like an old-fashioned sagging 2-3 zone that is "perfect for teams that can't shoot from outside". If you don't see that, then you're not watching closely enough.

I'm watching close enough to see that the type zone that they have played has lost them games that they shouldn't lose.

Mayberryite, that will be my last comment about my Dawgs under McClung's thread. I don't want to further hijack it ... What I posted was just an opinion. I read your posts and I agree with much of what you post. I look 4ward to seeing your opinions and posts on this upcoming school year.

I'm not familiar with Mr. Rowsey. What years was he in high school?

Rowsey graduated from Rockbridge in 2013 I believe. Was player of the year averaging about 36 a game. Finished high school career as 2nd highest scoring player in VA history.

Would expect Gate City, Radford and Robert E. Lee (reigning 2A Champ) to make the Final Four. That last spot is up for grabs with several candidates -- potentially Dan River, Martinsville, Union, East Rockingham, maybe someone else.

Some links to check out if you haven't seen them...

VaPreps All-Underclass 2A Hoops
Gate City's Mac McClung Profile
Radford's Quinton Morton-Robertson Profile
Radford's Miles Jones Profile

would also expect Graham to be a factor this year. they had a bunch of young talent and those guys are always tough. If GC and Union are a factor they will have to go through someone like the Gmen.

congrats to Mac! super happy for this kid....hes earned it. Rutgers is putting together a Top 10 class right now.

Also got word tonight about a possible transfer to GC that would solve their lack of a post presence. The kid has been hanging out with Mac for the past week in the GC area and is wanting to leave the private school he plays for and he's currently a Top 100 player in his class. I don't really forsee it happening but if the kid chooses that he wants to play at GC I would be willing to bet he would stay with McClungs family and there's no doubt he'd be welcomed into GC.

congrats to Mac! super happy for this kid....hes earned it. Rutgers is putting together a Top 10 class right now.

Also got word tonight about a possible transfer to GC that would solve their lack of a post presence. The kid has been hanging out with Mac for the past week in the GC area and is wanting to leave the private school he plays for and he's currently a Top 100 player in his class. I don't really forsee it happening but if the kid chooses that he wants to play at GC I would be willing to bet he would stay with McClungs family and there's no doubt he'd be welcomed into GC.
Would it be one of the bigs from Mountain Mission in Grundy?

Reactions: sharkfan83
Would expect Gate City, Radford and Robert E. Lee (reigning 2A Champ) to make the Final Four. That last spot is up for grabs with several candidates -- potentially Dan River, Martinsville, Union, East Rockingham, maybe someone else.

Some links to check out if you haven't seen them...

VaPreps All-Underclass 2A Hoops
Gate City's Mac McClung Profile
Radford's Quinton Morton-Robertson Profile
Radford's Miles Jones Profile

would also expect Graham to be a factor this year. they had a bunch of young talent and those guys are always tough. If GC and Union are a factor they will have to go through someone like the Gmen.

Agree. Carlock does a really good job there and Darrin Martin is back along with some other key pieces. They usually are a tough out.

id like to see him play for GC....but I just really don't see it materializing. supposedly he's already living with a family near the GC area but I'm not sure there's any truth to that either. I guess time will tell. Would definitely solidify GC as having a post threat. That kid can/and will play for any high major D1 team in the country that he chooses....hes a freak.

I know alot would disagree with me....but i think I would rather have him than to have McCormack in the post. And to have him paired on the same public school team with Mac at the 2A level along with Ervin and Dean....would be a scary team. I can't imagine the crowd it would draw to GC.

Last edited:
I think VCU is waiting on Rivals 150 guard Jason Wade of Trinity Episcopal. Wade has a Final 4 of VCU, ODU (where his dad Ronnie played), Florida Gulf Coast and College of Charleston.
I don't know if VCU has any remaining scholarships left. They have 3 seniors on this year's roster and 3 players have already committed for the class of 2018 and 1 from JuCo. I'd love for VCU to have Mac and Jason but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I don't know if VCU has any remaining scholarships left. They have 3 seniors on this year's roster and 3 players have already committed for the class of 2018 and 1 from JuCo. I'd love for VCU to have Mac and Jason but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
DSH, what the heck are you doing down here discussing basketball? You are putting your football fan status in serious jeopardy! I'll talk to the "football fan committee" on your behalf, but I can't make you any promises.

committed to the Hoyas today. Wish him nothing but the best. I'll have to catch a game or two when he's seeing the court.

Congrats to Mac. He'll be playing for Pat Ewing. Patrick was one of my fav NBA players back in the day.

I honestly thought he may wait to see what all offers would come his way......but he wasted no time flipping to the Hoyas once he decommitted. Ewing definitely knows the game...just hope he and his staff can really develop Mac at his position. The kid has big time potential, seems to be very coachable, and his work ethic is maxed out....however I don't think he's even began to tap into his potential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT