Feb 23, 2013
Magna Vista Warriors 1-1
lost to 2a Dan River 21-36 2-0
won 4a Jefferson Forest 36-35 1-2

William Byrd Terriers 2-1
won 3a Cave Spring 42-14 1-2
won 3a Hidden Valley 35-25 0-3
lost 4a Salem 17-20 ot 1-1

This game was a one or two point game last year . This year the game is in Vinton in Roanoke County . Magna Vista started slowly last year with most of the tougher games early and then put it together for a 3a state title . This game is important for playoff picture as Byrd barely missed out last year . I am going to pick Byrd in a close one being that the game is in Vinton . Byrd features RB Larry Basham who rushed for more than 260 yards per game against Cave Spring and Hidden Valley with 137 against an improved Salem defense . Byrd is also strong at linebacker and on the line . Magna Vista will look to score through the air if they can . This will be a close game as Magna Vista is very athletic . Byrd was down big early last year and then Basham brought them back. Experience and home field advantage wins for the Terriers .

Last edited:
I agree this will be a close game, prob depends on who has the ball last. MV made big improvements after DR game on offense and alittle on defense. Should be a very good game.

This game is intriguing to me. Basham has shredded MV run defense the last 2 years for something around 450 yards total himself. Those were state title teams! This year's MV team doesn't exhibit the fundamentals (yet) that would lead me to believe they can contain Basham. If that Byrd offensive line gives him the seams he needs to get to the second layer it will be a long night for MV. Only hope is Chris Scales from that point. Chris is a very good open field tackler IMO as good as Tre Redd was last year, but I don't think he has the help he needs in the secondary to contain everything! I think Byrd takes this game by 2 scores as MV hasn't proved to be consistent on offense. When I saw MV punt the ball away on 4th and 6 against DR when they were down by 2 TD'S with 6:36 remaining in the 4th quarter that lead me to believe the coaching staff didn't think they could pick up the 1st down. Not a bad play call mind you but just makes you respect the talent MV had last year when it was 4th and 25 and McGuire would find a way to get that first down. The win last Friday against JF was the first time in school history they have beaten JF (though MV hasn't played them many times, got to think positive), so MV is still succeeding but I think it is week by week.

Believe me not ruling out that Magna Vista makes a run. This game is probably a toss up. Magna Vista at end of year last year was not the same team as their playoff team . That is a indication of good coaching and work ethic.

I do think it takes several real games for those guys to get use to Faverros offense. The qb and rb with the read option takes time. I am impressed with Perkins progression so far.

Magna Vista Warriors 1-1
lost to 2a Dan River 21-36 2-0
won 4a Jefferson Forest 36-35 1-2

William Byrd Terriers 2-1
won 3a Cave Spring 42-14 1-2
won 3a Hidden Valley 35-25 0-3
lost 4a Salem 17-20 ot 1-1

This game was a one or two point game last year . This year the game is in Vinton in Roanoke County . Magna Vista started slowly last year with most of the tougher games early and then put it together for a 3a state title . This game is important for playoff picture as Byrd barely missed out last year . I am going to pick Byrd in a close one being that the game is in Vinton . Byrd features RB Larry Basham who rushed for more than 260 yards per game against Cave Spring and Hidden Valley with 137 against an improved Salem defense . Byrd is also strong at linebacker and on the line . Magna Vista will look to score through the air if they can . This will be a close game as Magna Vista is very athletic . Byrd was down big early last year and then Basham brought them back. Experience and home field advantage wins for the Terriers .
William Byrd

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT