ADVERTISEMENT

Magna Vista vs Phoebus

The old school still stands on 220 (Drewry Mason) and was the high school, then became a middle school when Magna Vista was built, and now serves as an elementary school since the consolidation of Laurel Park and MV back in 2004-05. I remember going there for middle school and looking at all the trophies and pictures of the past great teams from back in the day. Those were some pretty tough-looking dudes! If I remember correctly, Drewry Mason won a state title or two in football prior to becoming Magna Vista??
We, DMHS, did not win any state football titles. However, we won state basketball in 82, 83 and 84. Good times.....we did have some very good football players including but not limited to Henry Johnson and Ed Reynolds (both played at UVA) and Eric Hairston who has the distinction of playing at both Tech and UVA.....cannot remember the order on that one.

is there anyway to watch this game on Internet , can't make game, heard they're streaming LB/ hopewell game but does anyone know bout MV game, gamedaymagazine.com is having LB and JF game

I hope you are kidding about never having heard of MV. They are the reigning 3a State Champion. And they are not a "one and done", or a "Johnny come lately" team.

I'm sure that there was no disrespect intended. This is Phoebus's first year in 3A. How many fans pay much attention to what happens in other levels? There was a guy in here who asked how to pronounce "Phoebus".

I believe there is assistance from the VHSL.

5 plus hours is a haul, for sure. But I'm not a fan of an overnight stay before the game. Here's why.

In 2013, Sherando arrived in Lynchburg for the championship game the day before. I saw their kids around the hotel they stayed in Sat. morning. They just didn't seem to be single minded in their focus. It was just something about their body language. Across 460, Dinwiddie was getting off the bus with fire in their eyes. No time for distractions. Nothing on their mind but playing a football game.

In their defense, Sherando had no choice. The weather was horrible up in Stephens City. If they had waited, there was a good chance they may not have made it in time. But, the difference was palpable before the game. Did it really make a difference? That's for others to decide. I just know what I felt and saw.
Sherando could have showed up 2 hours before the game and Dinwiddie could have been in Lynchburg for a week in the hotels and the results would have been the same....A THRASHING in Dinwiddie's favor :D

I hope you are kidding about never having heard of MV. They are the reigning 3a State Champion. And they are not a "one and done", or a "Johnny come lately" team.

Confused why i have to be kidding about not knowing about a high school that's damn near 4 hours away??? I don't know the other school playing Hopewell neither. I don't study VA High schools.

I watched the Hampton/Phoebus yearly rivalry game and an interesting fun fact jumped in my head as I was watching that game...you know between the 2 schools there was 24 state football titles on that field that day! 17 for Hampton and 7 for Phoebus and I just shook my head in amazement thinking about that! Just a true testament to the talent in that area!

Just a FYI that Phoebus/Hampton game was played minus 8 suspended players from Phoebus. I hope MV hasn't watched that tape because it won't be the team that's on the field Saturday.

Another note: no disrespect was meant when I said I never heard of the school. Outside of local area I know some Richmond area schools and Stone Bridge.

Well, I suppose you will get to see the defending 3A State Champs today. They returned a large portion of that team and show up to play each and every game. They will be ready, and I'm pretty sure they have watched more than one game's worth of film. I hope it's a good game, too bad I'm on the opposite end of the state today!

Seen the film of MV finally. I am definitely impressed and must admit the team is nothing like I assumed. I was actually going to ride up to Indian River game in Richmond to watch my homie's son game but I'll be at Darling now to see Phoebus.

Yep. I need to follow 3a more anyways. Maybe in the future we make the playoffs.

Last edited:
Wait, you lost me, which school burned down?

As for Drewry Mason - nope, no state titles in football. They were a force in basketball in the mid 80s though! Laurel Park did finish as state runner-up I believe in 1986. The 3 local state titles in football come from Martinsville in 75 and 88 (runner-up 4 times) along with MV's title from a year ago.

I thought they told me Laural Park.

Hey, this was not your mother's Phoebus. MV is good. Phoebus is not on the same level. Past success is exactly that, past success. They were not any better than they showed today. The only thing they did good today was take advantage of some really dumb mistakes by MV.

Reactions: LowRider635
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT