ADVERTISEMENT

Magna Vista vs Phoebus

Amen mvwarrior, this will be a great ballgame and hope all of warrior nation who can make the trip will be safe. I think 4 1/2 hours which is crazy but I know we will have the support because we love our football here in Henry county. Just because they have an area code of 757 don't mean a thing to me or the team, they will know the area code 276 real soon.

Reactions: mvwarrior
Well I got 2 west teams playing in state championship game unless upset happens.
MV -7
LB -8
Those are official Vegas lines lol

Well I got 2 west teams playing in state championship game unless upset happens.
MV -7
LB -8
Those are official Vegas lines lol
Mr. Shades can you please give the fine posters on this site the justification of the Vegas line.

I am starting to lean towards MV as they continue to get stronger each game. MV has the athletes to match up well with Phoebus. Should be a good one.

I am having trouble figuring out how in the world LB beats Hopewell and by 8?

I felt early on LB would make this run because of their defense, but they did give up 28 points last week. Yes, Abingdon is a very good offensive team, but Hopewell's balanced attack is better and tough to stop.

Hopewell played a very tough regular season schedule including: 1 6a, 3 5a's, 3 4a's and 3 3a's. They finished 8-2 with losses coming to Hanover and Dinwiddie on back to back weeks. 8 of the 10 teams made the playoffs and Thomas Dale (6a) is still playing. The Blue Devils are battled tested. Just don't see it. Besides LB winning would be an upset by seeding/ratings????

Reactions: OCBoy
Basically just went by season numbers, points for/against, didn't look at strength of teams they played, Hopewell and LB are really close on points scored, LB really made the difference with points against, but I know it's misleading with strength of schedule, I also thought about home field advantage. MV I originally had at -8 1/2 but took 1.5 off for Phoebus home field. Just throwing a starting line out there, and you know the line always moves right up to game time ;) who's the bookie lol

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Just messing round with Salem/JF game doing same thing and has Salem -8 , just having fun with it.
And assuming the numbers are correct on max preps.

Last edited:
Thats fair Shades. Just thought you might have some inside info. Could be right on the money if Hill (qb) tries to do too much and the Hopewell line lets LB's defense pressure him into mistakes.

Two keys: Can Hopewell force LB to pass and can LB's db's have another good coverage game. Its fairly simple for both teams.

Reactions: one man
Any video on Magna Vista anywhere? I've never even heard of the school. I really hope the kids are getting hotels on Friday or something because driving that far on game day will leave the team tired and flat.

One thing Phoebus cannot do is come in the game over confident and must execute early and often. These first 3 games have been hard for Phoebus in the 1st half, because they've made it hard with mistakes and penalties.

Max preps you can get clips, have to watch advertising in between
Also go to YouTube and type in "magna vista jaq Hairston" MV rb clips from last years state championship team

Last edited:
Any video on Magna Vista anywhere? I've never even heard of the school. I really hope the kids are getting hotels on Friday or something because driving that far on game day will leave the team tired and flat.

One thing Phoebus cannot do is come in the game over confident and must execute early and often. These first 3 games have been hard for Phoebus in the 1st half, because they've made it hard with mistakes and penalties.
I hope you are kidding about never having heard of MV. They are the reigning 3a State Champion. And they are not a "one and done", or a "Johnny come lately" team.

Reactions: gwb16 and mvwarrior
I hope MV is able to make the trip the night before. It is my understanding that they are currently planning on driving up the morning of the game. That isn't an ideal situation BUT the kids are young and can overcome a long bus ride.

Does the VHSL help with some portion of travel expenses at this round? If they receive the gates for the last 2 rounds, at least some portion should be allocated for travel expenses.

Safe travels to all.... Good luck MV Warriors!

I believe there is assistance from the VHSL.

5 plus hours is a haul, for sure. But I'm not a fan of an overnight stay before the game. Here's why.

In 2013, Sherando arrived in Lynchburg for the championship game the day before. I saw their kids around the hotel they stayed in Sat. morning. They just didn't seem to be single minded in their focus. It was just something about their body language. Across 460, Dinwiddie was getting off the bus with fire in their eyes. No time for distractions. Nothing on their mind but playing a football game.

In their defense, Sherando had no choice. The weather was horrible up in Stephens City. If they had waited, there was a good chance they may not have made it in time. But, the difference was palpable before the game. Did it really make a difference? That's for others to decide. I just know what I felt and saw.

I hope MV is able to make the trip the night before. It is my understanding that they are currently planning on driving up the morning of the game. That isn't an ideal situation BUT the kids are young and can overcome a long bus ride.

Does the VHSL help with some portion of travel expenses at this round? If they receive the gates for the last 2 rounds, at least some portion should be allocated for travel expenses.

Safe travels to all.... Good luck MV Warriors!

EHC87, Emory & Henry?

Me to DinwiddieProud! Will BleedingNavy be with you as well? I thought you mentioned he and yourself are joined at the hip during football season! Lol!!
You never know I just might make the trip.
It all depends on the weather and my successful completion of my honeydoos.

Home Dinwiddie football games are family affair; however, my daughter and I have yet to convince my wife to attend an away game.

Did the daddy thing by staying out 17 hours shopping on Black Friday and went to the Tech vs. UVA game on Saturday. Really want to go to Lynchburg next week, so getting the tree up for the girls may be a mandate. Lol.

DP sees a ton of me during the season and he is a lot less intense during games than I am. We do enjoy analyzing and talking football. I will see what I can do.

I remember going through Ridgeway on our way down 220 South. I think the old school was right by the road, but its been a long time. I remember my dad saying how tough the guys from Henry County were. Played a lot of kill the man with ball at Phillpott Lake with the local kids.

Good luck to you guys. I hope to meet you this weekend or next.

I did here MV was leaving Saturday morning. Also heard it cost JAmes Monroe last year to come down here and stay on Friday night $7000 , WOW...and its up to the school to pay

You never know I just might make the trip.
It all depends on the weather and my successful completion of my honeydoos.

Home Dinwiddie football games are family affair; however, my daughter and I have yet to convince my wife to attend an away game.

Did the daddy thing by staying out 17 hours shopping on Black Friday and went to the Tech vs. UVA game on Saturday. Really want to go to Lynchburg next week, so getting the tree up for the girls may be a mandate. Lol.

DP sees a ton of me during the season and he is a lot less intense during games than I am. We do enjoy analyzing and talking football. I will see what I can do.

I remember going through Ridgeway on our way down 220 South. I think the old school was right by the road, but its been a long time. I remember my dad saying how tough the guys from Henry County were. Played a lot of kill the man with ball at Phillpott Lake with the local kids.

Good luck to you guys. I hope to meet you this weekend or next.

The old school still stands on 220 (Drewry Mason) and was the high school, then became a middle school when Magna Vista was built, and now serves as an elementary school since the consolidation of Laurel Park and MV back in 2004-05. I remember going there for middle school and looking at all the trophies and pictures of the past great teams from back in the day. Those were some pretty tough-looking dudes! If I remember correctly, Drewry Mason won a state title or two in football prior to becoming Magna Vista??

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I don't think this is about a money issue. I think it was a coach decision. May be for the best! I didn't agree with it on initial reaction but after cutting through the tape I'm hearing some things that make me understand better the reason behind it and I think I agree with those decisions not that my opinion matters the least. I think DinwiddieProud said it best in his statement above from the Sherando/Dinwiddie game a couple years ago. Safe Travels high school football fans!

All I hope is that Coach Favero doesn't take the team to a Golden Corral like where we went prior to the game in Petersburg my senior season (fall '04). Wow, that was a mistake, but it was also a Monday night game after a hurricane came through and postponed the game from the previous Friday. Needless to say, we didn't play so well...

Seems to me this coaching staff and rock-solid group of veteran, Champion players will make sure they come out on game-day and have their minds focused on the right things. Staying overnight could be a recipe for disaster and distraction (imo).

A friend of mine graduated from Laurl Park. They told me the old school burned down and all of the trophys, pictures, and memorabilia were still in the school. How terribly sad.

I'm going to work Bleeding Navy over hard to get him to come to the game. But the very thing that stands in his way is exactly why I love and respect him so much. Family first!

Wait, you lost me, which school burned down?

As for Drewry Mason - nope, no state titles in football. They were a force in basketball in the mid 80s though! Laurel Park did finish as state runner-up I believe in 1986. The 3 local state titles in football come from Martinsville in 75 and 88 (runner-up 4 times) along with MV's title from a year ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarriorAlum05
Wait, you lost me, which school burned down?

As for Drewry Mason - nope, no state titles in football. They were a force in basketball in the mid 80s though! Laurel Park did finish as state runner-up I believe in 1986. The 3 local state titles in football come from Martinsville in 75 and 88 (runner-up 4 times) along with MV's title from a year ago.
Thanks for clearing that up about the championships. My young mind probably mixed them up with maybe a district title or something.

Unless Drewry Mason burned down pretty recently, I'm pretty sure it's still standing right on the side of 220 just down the road a bit from the Martinsville Speedway. I'm not sure about what was Laurel Park High, but I think it's still there as well and is now used as middle school.

I have been watching Phoebus on film for the past couple of days. I respect there team speed on defense, they fly to the ball! They have some athletes all around. Magna Vista has some great athletes as well and they also get to the ball. If Magna Vista plays there game they should be fine, and I hope to see a good football game! Safe travels to everyone traveling from the 276.

I think this is going to be an intriguing match up, I actually think the two best teams in 3a are phoebus and hopewell. We will see if this is true or not.

gdog4882 yes sir I have. Plenty of times, I actually played there myself and my son is playing for them now!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT