ADVERTISEMENT

MV vs Byrd...anyone have any insight as to how they match up?

Nov 25, 2002
I have only seen highlights of Byrd this season but I will say that I am a student of the game and i like how #4 Hairston plays the game for Byrd! In fact from what I'm seeing out of Byrd albeit just highlights, those young men are playing football because they love to play football and are having fun and winning in the process! #4 Hairston takes me back to another #4 that played at Byrd back in 2015 Larry Basham! Both played for that name on front of the jersey not the one on the back and you got to love a young man that plays the game just for the pure love of playing football!
I have been in the stands for all but 2 games for Magna Vista this season but literally have no idea how these 2 teams will match up! Anyone have any mutual games that you can shed light on what you have seen for comparison and contrast styles?

Reactions: mike salem
Preps isn’t what it used to be. If it isn’t Dinwiddie or Salem, it’s not a lot of talk. I hope the Warriors can pull it out.

Reactions: mvwarrior
I mean, Byrd has had like one fan ever on this board iirc, got nothing to do with Preps.

I saw Byrd once, when they played Northside. That game was 14-10 at half and had a mini-brawl in the 3rd quarter. I left unaware of how Byrd ended up 9-1 because Northside is capital "B" bad. I couldn't glean much from the game. Hairston had a run or two that stood out but it wasn't like he took over the game (and I want to again emphasize that NS is not good) but he's put on a show in the playoffs so who knows.

They've unquestionably played a more difficult schedule than MV and they've played teams in or around MV's level. You look at them blanking LB earlier and then sending them home crying in the POs even worse last week. They've got a win over a Fleming team about to play for the 5D region title. Then you look and it's an 8 point win over Franklin County, 13 points over NS, a 2 point win over Cave Spring, and the 14-10 loss to Cburg.

At a glance, they seem consistent and solid on defense but the offense is a weekly question mark. If it shows up, they'll be better than MV. If it doesn't, MV gets the fun of meeting LCA. That's probably roughly what it boils down to, too. I don't think MV at their best is better than Byrd at their best but a sub-par showing from Byrd will be a MV win. Low score, close game throughout.

Reactions: mvwarrior
I haven't seen Byrd in person, but I did listen to their reg season game with LB that they won 16-0. On defense they really shut down LB's run game. (LB passing game was non existent) On offense Byrd had a good mix of run and pass. Nothing fancy, but yeoman like. They'll be a tough matchup for MV. (I haven't seen MV, so grain of salt) With MV playing Christiansburg so well, it makes me think it should be a pretty even game. When I saw Christianburg they really didn't pass much, Byrd seemed to do so pretty well against LB, so that might be significant Fri night. More balance might give MV more challenges than they faced against Christiansburg?

I haven't seen Byrd in person, but I did listen to their reg season game with LB that they won 16-0. On defense they really shut down LB's run game. (LB passing game was non existent) On offense Byrd had a good mix of run and pass. Nothing fancy, but yeoman like. They'll be a tough matchup for MV. (I haven't seen MV, so grain of salt) With MV playing Christiansburg so well, it makes me think it should be a pretty even game. When I saw Christianburg they really didn't pass much, Byrd seemed to do so pretty well against LB, so that might be significant Fri night. More balance might give MV more challenges than they faced against Christiansburg?
Christiansburg came out throwing in 2nd half against MV and found success doing so! Christiansburg could not run the ball against MV front 7 except the 1 breakaway run for a score in the first half and coaching staff for Christiansburg made necessary adjustments coming out in second half and almost pulled it out! If Tanner Evans had played, Christiansburg may be advancing to meet Byrd! I think Byrd is going to be a similar team as Christiansburg when Tanner was signal caller! Hairston for Byrd isn't built like Tanner for Christiansburg but he seems flighty to me. Looks like Byrds O-line does a pretty good job sealing edges for Hairston to hit them on design run plays. I think MV will need to beef up the secondary incase Byrd decides to play action pass and catch them sleeping like Christiansburg did! I think Hairston is good at checking down passes and finding open receivers and pulling and running when plays don't develop! I like his smarts and the speed at which he's able to play. I think he keeps the game in front of him and is able to slow it down in his mind to make good decisions. MV is very young with most of their talent and athletes being sophomores with some key positions being Seniors on the line and RB. But like many have said on this board, the prize for winning this Friday's game is a date with LCA which if the season so far is an indicator may be turning out someone's Friday night lights until next season! Good luck and health to all!

Reactions: mike salem
Preps isn’t what it used to be. If it isn’t Dinwiddie or Salem, it’s not a lot of talk. I hope the Warriors can pull it out.
Yeah I understand Bo! Honestly, in 3A it's really only a 1 team race from what I'm seeing until LCA gets crowned at Liberty! I'm so proud of William Byrd and what they've done this season and also MV and the season they've also had thus far! Us small teams dont really get alot of credit unless we do something great like beat a giant and honestly whomever wins versus Byrd and MV will be who I'm pulling for the rest of the ride! Byrd has seemed to avoid the dreaded injury bug this season for the most part and hope that both teams are full strength this Friday and until they turn the lights out to end their seasons...preferably on their way to Liberty to collect a title! But one game at a time and really hope all the kids remaining understand how awesome of a ride they all are having and hope they can all reflect back at the 2023 football season and know no matter what, it was a magical ride! Too bad public schools have to play schools that have capacity to bend recruiting rules but this has been going on for some years now and it's the road to the title that everyone has to take! Good luck to all and hopes for an injury free remaining season for everyone!

This should be a really good game. WB has had a couple head scratchers this yr. It's like they are ready for good teams and sleep on avg to bad teams.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Yeah I understand Bo! Honestly, in 3A it's really only a 1 team race from what I'm seeing until LCA gets crowned at Liberty! I'm so proud of William Byrd and what they've done this season and also MV and the season they've also had thus far! Us small teams dont really get alot of credit unless we do something great like beat a giant and honestly whomever wins versus Byrd and MV will be who I'm pulling for the rest of the ride! Byrd has seemed to avoid the dreaded injury bug this season for the most part and hope that both teams are full strength this Friday and until they turn the lights out to end their seasons...preferably on their way to Liberty to collect a title! But one game at a time and really hope all the kids remaining understand how awesome of a ride they all are having and hope they can all reflect back at the 2023 football season and know no matter what, it was a magical ride! Too bad public schools have to play schools that have capacity to bend recruiting rules but this has been going on for some years now and it's the road to the title that everyone has to take! Good luck to all and hopes for an injury free remaining season for everyone!
I agree with it isn’t the same anymore

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
This should be a really good game. WB has had a couple head scratchers this yr. It's like they are ready for good teams and sleep on avg to bad teams.
That’s most kids these days bro. Kids are so quick to say “they suck” and dismiss their opponents. Hardest thing to do as a coach is to get kids up for the Northside’s, Liberty Bedford’s, and Blacksburg’s of the world.

Reactions: SFUWO
Does LCA still play their home games at LU Williams Stadium?

“IF” both LCA and MV win, I assume LCA has the higher rating and will host next week?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT