ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg and Highland Springs to play again

Martinsburg will be playing both the Springers and Stone Bridge next season. Appears to be another 2 year deal, Martinsburg to play at HSHS year 1 and vice versa year 2.
That’s correct! It was actually agreed on before HSHS left the field in Martinsburg this season. HSHS will play at least 2 out of state games(they open at Miramar,Florida), but there’s still an attempt for a 3rd I’ve been told.

Is that ESPN game in Ohio happening or what?
Not sure, I saw HSHS AD on a podcast and he didn't mention the Ohio game on 2023 schedule. I know the coaches talked about playing a team in Canton Ohio for a hall of fame showcase game earlier last year but I have not heard them mention it anymore since they decided to play Miramar HS in Miami. The AD said on the podcast he tried to schedule a game against Freedom, Dinwiddie, Phoebus, and Maury for 2023 schedule but only Maury worked out as far as scheduling. They play Miramar on August 25th and Maury on September 8th but I think they are trying to find another out of state opponent for September 1st.

Very glad to see these program s to challenge themselves an not be scared of losing a game or 2.
Plus they are slated to play Maury September 8th at Norfolk State University
Just to clarify HSHS will be playing at Maury not Martinsburg? If so that's great. I believe it was confirmed Dinwiddie vs Maury also. So we're shaping up to have some great games the 1st month of the season.

Reactions: Agibbs757
Very glad to see these program s to challenge themselves an not be scared of losing a game or 2.

Just to clarify HSHS will be playing at Maury not Martinsburg? If so that's great. I believe it was confirmed Dinwiddie vs Maury also. So we're shaping up to have some great games the 1st month of the season.
Martinsburg and HSHS will be playing each other on Friday, October 13th

HSHS is playing Maury AND Martinsburg along with Miramar. Yes…they are playing all 3 the next 2 years.

Not sure, I saw HSHS AD on a podcast and he didn't mention the Ohio game on 2023 schedule. I know the coaches talked about playing a team in Canton Ohio for a hall of fame showcase game earlier last year but I have not heard them mention it anymore since they decided to play Miramar HS in Miami. The AD said on the podcast he tried to schedule a game against Freedom, Dinwiddie, Phoebus, and Maury for 2023 schedule but only Maury worked out as far as scheduling. They play Miramar on August 25th and Maury on September 8th but I think they are trying to find another out of state opponent for September 1st.
I’ve also been told he is still trying his best to get Stonebridge on the schedule, but I don’t think that one’s going to materialize either.

Unfortunately, not this year for HS & Stone Bridge. Stone Bridge’s schedule is set for this fall. I’m not sure if 2024 is in play, but both teams are trying to get a good date in the future for that home & home 2 year scenario. Stone Bridge opens their ‘23 season with Madison, Martinsburg WV, Woodgrove, Freedom (WB), and Quince Orchard (MD). It is really great to see our top teams in the state stretching the boundaries of not only trying to schedule one another, but also going out of state to find some challenging games.

Unfortunately, not this year for HS & Stone Bridge. Stone Bridge’s schedule is set for this fall. I’m not sure if 2024 is in play, but both teams are trying to get a good date in the future for that home & home 2 year scenario. Stone Bridge opens their ‘23 season with Madison, Martinsburg WV, Woodgrove, Freedom (WB), and Quince Orchard (MD). It is really great to see our top teams in the state stretching the boundaries of not only trying to schedule one another, but also going out of state to find some challenging games.
Some bridge is on Martinsburg‘s schedule this year for September 1! Unless something has changed in the last two days they were on their schedule for 9/1 of this coming season.

MARTINSBURG
08/25
09/01 (H) Stonebridge VA
09/08 (H) Eastern DC
09/15
09/22 (H) Jefferson
09/29 (A) Musselman
10/06 (H) Washington
10/13 (A) Highlands Springs VA
10/20 (H) Spring Mills
10/27 (A) Hedgesville
11/03

This was on twitter today on the Ohioscheduler twitter page! Highland Springs (VA) is looking to host an out of state team on 9/15/23. Public programs ONLY. Please contact @Prep_Gridiron if interested. This would be the week after playing Maury.

Reactions: Thomasddev
Public programs only? Interesting.
Yes, for some odd reason Virginia Public schools don't benefit from playing private or prep schools because the VHSL only awards points for playing public schools, HSHS would not receive 1 single point for playing a private school. It almost cost them homefield advantage in the playoffs in 2019 when the played Avalon(private school in Maryland). They played 10 games but only got points for 9 games.

Yes, for some odd reason Virginia Public schools don't benefit from playing private or prep schools because the VHSL only awards points for playing public schools, HSHS would not receive 1 single point for playing a private school. It almost cost them homefield advantage in the playoffs in 2019 when the played Avalon(private school in Maryland). They played 10 games but only got points for 9 games.

But my understanding is they divide your points by 9. It's essentially an exhibition game. Oscar Smith played St John's Bosco in 2021 (fall), lost, and spent the entire playoffs at home all the same. You're not punished for playing a private school, you just don't get anything for winning, I believe.

Oscar Smith maintain home field advantage last year throughout the playoffs for the same reason HSHS maintained home field advantage in 2019, which was overall strength of schedule, despite not getting any points for the Bosco game. Class 6 was weak last year but Oscar Smith still played high point teams like Phoebus, Kings Fork, and Western Branch, that's why they could afford not to get points for the Bosco game. However, if there was another team in class 6 last year with similar SOS but played 10 publicl schools in the regular season then OS would have had to go on the road. In 2019 HSHS got homefield advantage by only a few points because of SOS, in which they beat Oscar Smith, Colonial Forge, Varina, Manchester, North Stafford, and Page(Greensboro, NC). Our 9 public school games were higher SOS than any other Class 5 ten game regular season schedule in the state.

Quince Orchard is one of the top teams in MD! They are always deep in the playoffs and produce a lot of college players. It should be a good test for both teams.

I love seeing these teams amp their schedules up. Want to know why Highland Springs, Martinsburg and Stone Bridge are winners? Their coaches ensure they are challenged and play the best of the best. No shortcuts for being champions.
Don't leave out Maury, their young coach has done a good job to schedule out of state competition the last 2 years. They only lost by a td first game of the season to New Bern HS and NB won the state championship this year in North Carolina.

Don't leave out Maury, their young coach has done a good job to schedule out of state competition the last 2 years. They only lost by a td first game of the season to New Bern HS and NB won the state championship this year in North Carolina.
How good is North Point(Md)? 3a/4a Maryland state champions.

@-COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE- The tide is shifting down our way. Would love to see Highland Springs play Independence or West Charlotte next year. Those two programs will be two of the best in NC within the next 3 seasons.

In VA, you could probably expect them as a regional finalist regular but rarely pushing beyond. 12-13 game team.
How good is North Point(Md)? 3a/4a Maryland state champions.
They got their first championship this past season, despite a last minute change at head coach. Next year they return their best player, Kaleb Hart, and could be a contender again.

@-COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE- The tide is shifting down our way. Would love to see Highland Springs play Independence or West Charlotte next year. Those two programs will be two of the best in NC within the next 3 seasons.
It's cyclical with a lot of the Charlotte programs. Hard to stay on top. Indy was greatly improved this year. Butler will be good also. West Charlotte is in a tough conference..with how seeding works.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It's cyclical with a lot of the Charlotte programs. Hard to stay on top. Indy was greatly improved this year. Butler will be good also. West Charlotte is in a tough conference..with how seeding works.
How is Hough going to be next year, they seem to always have a good team.

Agreed. I see where UNCC has been offering everybody at Chambers, Indy and Butler. West Charlotte brought in Chambers’ old DC. I think you’ll see the kids who’d normally leave to go to Chambers or Creek stick around,

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
They’ll be tough. Chambers doesn’t have a QB so a lot in that conference will depend on who they’re able to bring in. Hough will also have a brand new coach.
He was their OC under Jenkins. They'll still have their kicker and return a lot on defense.

Mallard Creek is the one to watch to see if they return to form imo. Talented area, good JV, U13 team went to nationals. Nonconference could hurt them this year though. Not really sure what they were thinking there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It doesn't hurt your chances to make the playoffs if you only play 9 games because it's divided by 9 not 10

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT