ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg, WV @ Sherando Sept. 13th

The score will look similar to the Eastern game if Sherando has half as many silly penalties as last night. 14 penalties for 128 yards. Several touchdowns called back. That can't happen next Friday night or this one will be over by the end of the first quarter.

One thing I've noticed in Sherando's first two games is a heavily reliance on screen passes and the running game, very few passes down the field. That worked against James Wood and Jefferson, but Martinsburg is much bigger, faster, and deeper than Sherando is this year so I don't expect similar success throughout the game. I know West Virginia football isn't good as a whole, but there's a reason why these guys have a 44 game winning streak, one of the longest in the country.

That said, Sherando has kept games close against the Bulldogs even when outmatched in recent years. The last four years this matchup has been decided by seven points or less. I'm hoping a couple guys will be healthy enough to play by next week.

Another thing to note is that Sherando hasn't needed to open up the playbook yet, so it's possible the coaching staff didn't want to give Martinsburg time to prepare for certain things. I think Coach Hall has them ready by Friday. Atmosphere should be electric like it is every year for this game.

Last edited:
Martinsburg 48 Sherando 21. My prediction , the warriors just don’t have the team to hang with this juggernaut this year . And from my observations , Martinsburg would beat a All star team from Loudoun County this year . Flat loaded. Could be worse , was being generous with the 21.

What kind of size does Martinsburg have on the offensive and defense lines?
Do they play out of the spread formation?

What is your definition of huge? I'm a Salem fan and I've seen some very large high school lines.

What is your definition of huge? I'm a Salem fan and I've seen some very large high school lines.

I don't know who all their starters are, only that some have said that this is the best line they've ever had. They have at least 11 players over 250lbs compared to Sherando's 5. Of those, 10 are over 6 feet tall (I think the average is 6'1 or so). They may have more.

I have not seem them or Salem play this year so I can't say for sure, but I can say that Martinsburg at least looked considerably bigger in 2017 than Salem did and seemed deeper, but lacked the team speed that that Salem group had. I don't know how that line compares to those that you've seen.

Martinsburg is about 265 to 295 across the line, they are very well coached and don’t make mistakes often. Skilled positions are top notch , speed on both sides of the ball , and play very physical. I have been trying to catch up with the top teams in Virginia 4A this year and even looked at 5A teams . Haven’t seen one who would beat them . This year.

Martinsburg wins big this Friday night , and everybody on the Bulldogs schedule the rest of the way will get beat badly.

I don't know who all their starters are, only that some have said that this is the best line they've ever had. They have at least 11 players over 250lbs compared to Sherando's 5. Of those, 10 are over 6 feet tall (I think the average is 6'1 or so). They may have more.

I have not seem them or Salem play this year so I can't say for sure, but I can say that Martinsburg at least looked considerably bigger in 2017 than Salem did and seemed deeper, but lacked the team speed that that Salem group had. I don't know how that line compares to those that you've seen.
That was an interesting year. I normally don't look into score comparisons much but Martinsburg that year beat Sherando by 3 points and the Salem/Sherando game was 35-0 at halftime. Salem could have probably won the game by 70 points if they wanted to. It has nothing to do with this year and again I normally don't look at score comparisons but that was just so ridiculously lopsided.

Reactions: ForTheKidz
Martinsburg is about 265 to 295 across the line, they are very well coached and don’t make mistakes often. Skilled positions are top notch , speed on both sides of the ball , and play very physical. I have been trying to catch up with the top teams in Virginia 4A this year and even looked at 5A teams . Haven’t seen one who would beat them . This year.

I'm sure Highland Springs shakes in their boots at the best of West Virginia football.

That was an interesting year. I normally don't look into score comparisons much but Martinsburg that year beat Sherando by 3 points and the Salem/Sherando game was 35-0 at halftime. Salem could have probably won the game by 70 points if they wanted to. It has nothing to do with this year and again I normally don't look at score comparisons but that was just so ridiculously lopsided.
Yes I see your backhanded
I'm sure Highland Springs shakes in their boots at the best of West Virginia football.
martinsburg whipped HS last year in a 7x7. Not football but it happened

Yeh but this team that Martinsburg has now was mostly Sophomores and juniors when that happened .but I get what you are saying , I saw Sherando beat HS in a 7x7 game two years ago also . And we all know Sherando isn’t anybody .

I think Salem might be the only team that gives Martinsburg a challenge this year , and if you beat them , of which Salem certainly could . Then I would say Salem would be the favorite in 4A again after that game.

What kind of size does Martinsburg have on the offensive and defense lines?
Do they play out of the spread formation?
You can watch their games on YouTube. Just type in Martinsburg football. I've been watching them for several yrs. Good size on the line along with alot of skill guys.

Reactions: mike salem
Martinsburg wins big this Friday night , and everybody on the Bulldogs schedule the rest of the way will get beat badly.
Most of the teams they play are not very good .
I've been watching Martinsburg for yrs. I follow both states. Martinsburg would be a good team in 4a and 5a. The biggest difference is they would play better teams each week .Exspecialy in 5a. Martinsburg would struggle against Stone Bridge, Highland Springs, and Massaponax just to name some teams. In 4a they would struggle with Broad Run, Tuskarora, and LT. In 6a Westfield would probably be too much . We get to see them play Salem in week 8. Should be a great game. Probably Martinsburg's hardest game this yr.

Injury’s seem to be demise of Sherando the last few years , depth is hard to find in Frederick County . And injuries this year have already caught up with them again.

Injury’s seem to be demise of Sherando the last few years , depth is hard to find in Frederick County . And injuries this year have already caught up with them again.

Yeah, saw that several starters weren't dressed against Jefferson. Sucks for all involved.

This years Salem team has every bit as much speed as 2017. May not be as good on offensive line. Salem over the years has had bigger offensive lines than you describe and has seen some huge offensive lines. We still don't know how good this Salem team can be. It will depend on the development of the offensive line. They had a close game against 6a Franklin County ( good team). Without injury Salem will improve.

Reactions: Scalvinscaliwag
Martinsburg 48 Sherando 21.And from my observations , Martinsburg would beat a All star team from Loudoun County this year.
Beat an All Star team from LC? That is going way out on a limb. LC D4/D5 football has some darn good teams, let alone what type of All Star team they could put together. Perhaps if you throw together an All Star team and they don't get to practice, don't know each other, and run vanilla plays they might lose to a team like Martinsburg, but IMO that statement is a bit out there.

I'm sure Martinsburg is a great team. When they line up and play in their area I'm sure many teams and their fan base are intimidated. Martinsburg gets up early and the other team folds quickly. Martinsburg may crush Salem, but it won't be because of intimidation. When it comes to playing against great teams, this.aint Salems first rodeo.

Beat an All Star team from LC? That is going way out on a limb. LC D4/D5 football has some darn good teams, let alone what type of All Star team they could put together. Perhaps if you throw together an All Star team and they don't get to practice, don't know each other, and run vanilla plays they might lose to a team like Martinsburg, but IMO that statement is a bit out there.
You all are correct , but take away the 5A All stars and put 4A Loudoun County All Stars on one team , my money is on the Dogs. I really hope Salem gives them a good game and even beats them. I will be making the trip for that one .

I'm sure Martinsburg is a great team. When they line up and play in their area I'm sure many teams and their fan base are intimidated. Martinsburg gets up early and the other team folds quickly. Martinsburg may crush Salem, but it won't be because of intimidation. When it comes to playing against great teams, this.aint Salems first rodeo.
I doubt Martinsburg crushes Salem.

I heard it has gotten worse

Whaaaat? But we're already down like four starters at least. I swear Sherando must play on an ancient burial ground or something because this seems to happen every year. Even with everyone healthy we'd probably be three or four touchdown underdogs. :(

Whaaaat? But we're already down like four starters at least. I swear Sherando must play on an ancient burial ground or something because this seems to happen every year. Even with everyone healthy we'd probably be three or four touchdown underdogs. :(
Sorry about the bad news brother . Rebuilding year

Reactions: Shruikan
Sherando relishes chance against mighty Martinsburg
  • By ROBERT NIEDZWIECKI The Winchester Star
  • 5d795513d9872.image.jpg
Sherando running back Payne Bauer's physical presence on offense and defense (seven sacks) will be essential in tonight's home game against three-time defending West Virginia Class AAA state champion Martinsburg.

Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star

STEPHENS CITY — The Sherando football team is still finding its way after losing more than half of its starters from last year's team.

But the Warriors are 2-0, and they've outscored their opponents by an impressive 90-19 total. They'll face a daunting challenge tonight as they attempt to improve to 3-0, but it's one they relish as they attempt to keep improving.

Three-time defending West Virginia Class AAA state champion Martinsburg (2-0) will bring its 44-game winning streak into Arrowhead Stadium at 7 p.m. tonight. The Bulldogs boast five all-state players and numerous other contributors with size and speed to a team that has outscored its two Washington, D.C., foes by an aggregate 125-18 this season.

Only one team has come within 21 points of the Bulldogs since the start of 2016, and that's Sherando. The Warriors have lost three times by a total of 15 points during the Bulldogs' run, with the largest margin seven points. Martinsburg has won seven of eight meetings since the squads began playing on an annual basis in 2011, and only two of those meetings have been decided by more than 14 points. Martinsburg is 3-1 at Arrowhead in that time and its biggest margin of victory was 27-13 in 2013.

One of the reasons that Sherando probably has played Martinsburg so well is that the Warriors don't seem to get overwhelmed mentally. Sherando coach Bill Hall played for VHSL Hall of Fame coach Glenn Proctor before graduating in 1992, and he had a sense the Rams teams he played on were often in opponents' heads.

"When I grew up in Strasburg, I think half the time we won ballgames before we ever played the game," said Hall after Tuesday's practice. "Teams were like, ‘Oh, we’re playing Strasburg,’ and that was it. I think sometimes that happens with us here. Some of the opponents go ‘The Warriors are in town,’ and they psyche themselves out. I think some people could compete with Martinsburg to some degree. But it’s Martinsburg, then psychologically when something happens it’s ‘There it goes’ and they expect [adversity].

"I think we have a healthy respect for the championship-level caliber it takes to compete at [Martinsburg's] level. And we also want to challenge ourselves, because that’s what it’s like in the playoffs. So we embrace the opportunity to compete. Competitive excellence is one of the core pillars that we pride ourselves in, and there’s no better competitive excellence atmosphere than [tonight]."

The players are certainly looking forward to the moment. Sherando's one win over Martinsburg came in 2015 at Arrowhead, when the current Warrior seniors were in eighth grade.

"This is our senior year, so we know this is our last chance at them," said senior linebacker and running back Payne Bauer, who has 16 tackles (11 for loss) and seven sacks this year. "We're pretty excited to get the opportunity again."

Sherando likely won't fare well if it continues to struggle with penalties. The Warriors have committed 25 penalties for 235 yards this year, including 14 penalties for 128 yards in last week's 41-7 win against Jefferson (W.Va.)

In practice, Hall said the team has been emphasizing better communication, and the Warriors have been replicating game conditions by subbing players in and out and having signals come from the sidelines as opposed to behind the huddle.

"We've been focused on being more disciplined," said senior free safety and wide receiver Jabril Hayes (five catches for 111 yards and three TDs). "We believe in practicing the way you want to play, so we've been increasing the intensity in practice, making sure we're motioning and blocking the way we need to in the games."

Execution for Sherando will be particularly important if the team is missing another key player.

The Sherando football team hasn't been at full strength all year. For example, wide receiver/linebacker Keli Lawson hasn't suited up during the regular season. On Tuesday, quarterback Chacai Campbell was among the players who weren't dressed for practice. Campbell has completed 13 of 28 passes for 281 yards, five TDs and two interceptions and rushed 26 times for 170 yards and two TDs.

Campbell's status is unknown for tonight. Hall has been expressing his confidence in sophomore quarterback Dylan Rodeffer since the preseason. Hall said in August that the strong-armed Rodeffer could be used in certain situations with Sherando's first team and might not be limited to being a traditional backup.

Rodeffer has seen action late in the Warriors' first two games with Sherando comfortably ahead, throwing a 25-yard touchdown pass on his one pass attempt last week against Jefferson.

"He's been preparing for his opportunity just the way everybody else does," Hall said after Tuesday's practice. "We started throwing back in March. He's had a lot of time with me, our receivers. He's prepared for when his number is called just the way the rest of the guys are."

No matter who's on the field, Sherando will be tested by a stellar defense. The Bulldogs have nine takeaways and have held opponents to 9 points and 86 yards per game. Martinsburg features all-state defensive lineman Matt Bednarski (6-2, 260), all-state defensive back Teddy Marshall and linebacker Bryce Morris, who leads the team with 15 tackles.

"Being efficient," said Hall when talking about the keys to success. "One, you can't be predictable. I think in big games, you just can't play it close to the vest. I think you have to take some shots and I think you have to make them defend the whole field horizontally and vertically."

With senior running back Darius Lane leading the Warriors in rushing (42 carries for 281 yards and three TDs) and receiving yardage (4 catches, 112 yards, 2 TDs), Sherando is averaging area bests in yardage (446.3 yards per game) and points (45.0).

Offensively, Martinsburg's offense is just as prolific as its defense. The Bulldogs are averaging 62.5 points and 322 yards per game and averaging 7.6 yards per play (Sherando is averaging 8.1).

The Warriors will not have to deal with the bruising quarterback Grant Harman this year, who rushed for 155 yards and two TDs and passed for 111 and two TDs in last year's Martinsburg win. Quarterback Elijah Banks — who split time with Harman last year — is more of a pocket passer. He completed 8 of 14 passes for 123 yards and two TDs in last year's Sherando game and has completed 15 of 26 passes for 289 yards, seven TDs and two interceptions this year.

Banks has several talented receivers, including 5-8, 153-pound all-state selection Jarod Bowie (six catches, 131 yards, three TDs), 6-0, 170-pound Anthony Smith (four catches, 125 yards), Marshall (6-1, 180) and Malakai Brown (5-11, 185), an all-state selection who transferred from Hedgesville (W.Va.)

"You can't really focus on one receiver," Hall said. "[Bowie] makes a lot of plays, but it's not like the rest of them don't make plays. All their skill guys are good."

That includes speedy running back Naieem Kearney (5-8, 180). The all-state selection picked up 147 yards and a TD on 21 carries against Sherando last year and has 150 yards and three TDs on 20 carries this season.

Martinsburg also boasts an impressive line that features three returning starters and a transfer starter from Hedgesville. All of them are at least 6-2 and four of them weigh at least 250 pounds. Left guard Ty Lucas (6-3, 310) has been offered by Kent State.

Sherando's ability to perform well against that line could be critical. The Warriors' defense has been playing at a high level, giving up 9.5 points and 196 yards per game while recording five takeaways.

"They have a really good front, and their left side really stands out," Hall said. "It will be a challenge for our front, but I think our front has done well in the first two games. It's a big thing for our front to get challenged like that, and we need to respond accordingly."

Sherando wants a win, but no matter the final result, Hall wants to see improvement.

"We try not to let the scoreboard define success for us," Hall said. "As much as some people would have looked at our score last week and said that was good football, in our eyes that wasn’t the way we wanted to play the game of football.

"People can judge us however they want, it’s about us trying to realize our potential individually and collectively. We need to take another step forward this week. We improved from the first week to the second week. Obviously there were some penalty things but there were a lot of good things last week. This game is good for us in every way, shape, and form. I like how the way it challenges us as coaches and I like the way it challenges our kids."

Though game for the Warriors. I give them credit even with the injuries they played hard. Especially the Soph QB who was starting his first game. They just could not make enough plays tonight to keep up.

The WR #1 from Martinsburg is something special. He was going against Sherando's top D back and constantly making plays.

Martinsburg makes statement with 37-0 win over Sherando

STEPHENS CITY, Va. – Year in, year out, no one team has challenged Martinsburg’s football dominance more than the Warriors of Sherando, Virginia.

But then again, maybe this Bulldog team is just different. After four straight years pushing Martinsburg to its limit, and with a stadium full of Warriors fans in full voice at their backs, all Sherando managed to do on Friday night was make Martinsburg work just a little bit harder to stretch its state-record win streak to 45.

The final tally: Martinsburg 37, Sherando 0, and one huge statement made, as quarterback Elijah Banks, running back Naieem Kearney and speedy senior Jarod Bowie made light work of a powerful Warriors defense in a stadium that head coach Dave Walker has called one of his toughest places to play.

Banks started out with the hot hand early on, completing his first six passes on Martinsburg’s opening drive, before fumbling the snap on a third-and-1 play at the Sherando 6-yard line. Senior kicker Chris Catlett pushed a 27-yard field goal try wide right, turning the ball over to the Warriors.

But while Sherando’s offense lit Martinsburg up to the tune of 45 points last season, this version of the Warrior attack was missing starting quarterback Chacai Campbell, who was inactive for the game with a leg injury.

Into his place stepped sophomore Dylan Rodeffer, who showcased a powerful arm in his first career start but couldn’t consistently get Sherando’s offense moving. Although Rodeffer broke off a string of completions to start his Friday night, Sherando’s first drive stalled just past midfield.

Bowie broke off a long return on the ensuing punt, and added 15 yards on a facemask. On the next play, Banks hit Teddy Marshall in stride on a go route for a 38-yard touchdown, giving Martinsburg the lead late in the first.

The Bulldogs didn’t have to wait long to find themselves in the end zone again early in the second. After Bowie showcased his playmaking ability on a 60-yard catch and run, Banks stepped up on third down and hit the senior again on a slant for a 10-yard touchdown.

Down two scores against a team that hadn’t lost in more than three years, Sherando began to make mistakes it couldn’t afford to make. The Warriors turned the ball over on a muffed punt late in the second, leading to a 22-yard field goal by Catlett, and Rodeffer was intercepted just before halftime on an acrobatic, leaping snag by sophomore Braxton Todd.

The cycle continued to repeat in the second half: Sherando would make even the smallest of mistakes, and Martinsburg would capitalize with a vengeance.

On Martinsburg’s first offensive play of the third quarter, the Warriors looked to have Banks dead to rights for a big sack. Instead, Banks somehow slithered away from pressure and found Bowie for a 24-yard gain. Two plays later, Kearney was in the end zone on a 9-yard touchdown run.

It happened once more on the next series, when Rodeffer led one of Sherando’s best sustained drives of the day, only to take a brutal sack for a turnover on downs. Again, Martinsburg needed only a few plays to get into the end zone, with senior Trey Sine stepping in for Kearney and scoring to make it 30-0.

Martinsburg saved perhaps its best highlight for the fourth quarter, when the game was well and truly in hand. Bowie elected to field a long, bouncing Sherando punt at his own 1 and zipped untouched for a 99-yard return score that brought the final score to 37-0.

Banks finished the game by completing 14 of 22 passes for 225 yards and three touchdowns. Almost half of that yardage went to Bowie, who caught five passes for 112 yards and a score, while Marshall and Malakai Brown both topped 50 yards receiving. Kearney finished the game rushing for 135 yards on 15 carries.

Sherando’s Dylan Rodeffer finished his first career start completing 13 of 26 passes for 114 yards and two interceptions, while Martinsburg largely managed to bottle up leading rusher Darius Lane, who went for 57 yards on 19 carries.

Martinsburg (3-0) will next face Academy Park, Pennsylvania, at Cobourn Field at 7 p.m. Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT