ADVERTISEMENT

Massive Matchups in OOD Schedule

Freedom gonna do bad things to Varina, but I'm happy to see they're upping their schedule.
I wouldn't count Varina out like that, Varina definitely has some athletes that will match up with Freedom. The kid nicknamed D-1 that plays wr will definitely create some match up nightmares. Only thing is Varina is young and maybe too small in the trenches for Freedom.

I wouldn't count Varina out like that, Varina definitely has some athletes that will match up with Freedom. The kid nicknamed D-1 that plays wr will definitely create some match up nightmares. Only thing is Varina is young and maybe too small in the trenches for Freedom.
Varina has a good team, but Freedom is at a whole different level. Freedom is basically an area all star team. Taking nothing away from Varina, but I believe Freedom will win by 45 to 60 points.

Freedom has a good team but let's be clear Freedom is not beating any team in East End Henrico by 45 or 60 points. Who did Freedom play last year that we could say had similar athletes to match up with their skill positions. I keep saying Freedom benefited from Oscar Smith being down last year. The prior 2 years Oscar Smith was crushing everything in Class 6 and we didn't hear anything about Freedom. OS even played SJ Bosco because they didnt have any competition in Class 6. Freedom fans bragged about crushing Western Branch by so many points in the Semis but they forget WB lost 2-0 to Oscar Smith and the following week OS got beat 56-0 to Phoebus. All I'm saying is don't get fooled by Freedom hype, they surprised people last year and this year we will see how they respond to a tougher schedule and a bullseye on their back. Varina was young last year and they have a lot of talent returning.

If OS thought there was no competition in Class 6 then I'd say that went to their heads immensely because they were beyond humbled in that game. Some people should realize there are some much, much bigger fish in the sea.

Varina brings back a good deal of very good players plus whoever they can get through the 804 portal. Their QB Linwood is going to be a treat to watch.

Last edited:
If OS thought there was no competition in Class 6 then I'd say that went to their heads immensely because they were beyond humbled in that game. Some people should realize there are some much, much bigger fish in the sea.
I don't think OS looked past anybody this year because they knew they had lost a lot such as qb Ethan Vasko. I was speaking of the past 2 years prior to last year when they dominated Class 6 and won back to back state championships. Only reason I referenced them because people kept speaking on how dominant Freedom was but don't talk about their level of competition last year. The best team they played last year was Stonebridge, and that was the 1st game of the season.

Varina brings back a good deal of very good players plus whoever they can get through the 804 portal. They’re QB Linwood is going to be a treat to watch.
Yes, Linwood has a big arm and he is accurate. That kid D-1 is going to be a problem for coverages this year. And that Defensive Lineman #60 is going to be a problem. He did good against Highland Springs last year and he is only a freshman. That's why I think it is laughable to believe Freedom will beat Varina by 45 or 60. As good as Dinwiddie is they better not look past Varina this year.

I wasn't thinking a 45 point loss but more like a 28 point loss. Varina will be breaking in a new QB and losing their best defender in keys. Varina will be a player come playoff time but this game will just be a good learning experience for them.

Reactions: Senex
Freedom has a good team but let's be clear Freedom is not beating any team in East End Henrico by 45 or 60 points. Who did Freedom play last year that we could say had similar athletes to match up with their skill positions. I keep saying Freedom benefited from Oscar Smith being down last year. The prior 2 years Oscar Smith was crushing everything in Class 6 and we didn't hear anything about Freedom. OS even played SJ Bosco because they didnt have any competition in Class 6. Freedom fans bragged about crushing Western Branch by so many points in the Semis but they forget WB lost 2-0 to Oscar Smith and the following week OS got beat 56-0 to Phoebus. All I'm saying is don't get fooled by Freedom hype, they surprised people last year and this year we will see how they respond to a tougher schedule and a bullseye on their back. Varina was young last year and they have a lot of talent returning.
Now don’t get me wrong, Varina is a top program, no question about it. But, statistically you have to look at last season. (And I know last season is dead and gone, but it’s all we have to go on for the time being.)

Freedom averaged better than 63 points a game. They gave up an average of less than 10 points per game. They damn near scored an absurd 1000 points last season. Average winning margin? 53 points.

That is a tough hill to climb right there.

Again, don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of Freedom. Given the same “freedom”, (no pun intended), to assemble players the way that I hear Freedom does, most teams could build a similar powerhouse.

I wasn't thinking a 45 point loss but more like a 28 point loss. Varina will be breaking in a new QB and losing their best defender in keys. Varina will be a player come playoff time but this game will just be a good learning experience for them.
Ehhhh, I don’t know bro. Freedom has horses but Varina has two power 5 receivers plus a lot of FCS kids on that offense. They match up well with Freedom. They’ll miss Keys on defense but they have a very good secondary and their front 7 was young this past year. Remember, they graduated a bunch that year they won the ship. A lot of guys were sophomores and juniors this past year. They'll need a running game but I believe the offense will be a lot better this year with the new QB.

Reactions: Thomasddev
If this game was the first game or the second game of the season,I would agree with you, but this game is about the sixth game of the year, and leave no doubt that quarterback is the truth, and Varina is always loaded with talent on defense. They are always big in the trenches and have athletes to burn on both sides of the ball. Anybody that wants to doubt the East End of Henrico,just look at the last three years.

If this game was the first game or the second game of the season,I would agree with you, but this game is about the sixth game of the year, and leave no doubt that quarterback is the truth, and Varina is always loaded with talent on defense. They are always big in the trenches and have athletes to burn on both sides of the ball. Anybody that wants to doubt the East End of Henrico,just look at the last three years.
Varina plays Freedom week 1. I think they’ll be fine. Linwood got a lot of reps last year. I think he’ll be right up there with Harry Dalton this year in terms of having that it factor. East End will be loaded this year.

I'm an east end guy from Varina so I'm definitely not trying to down the boys and I know what's in pipeline. They just have a lot to show me because last season looked like a team that was just more athletic than everyone until they matched up with 2 teams(HSHS and KG) that could match them. They got beat up both games.

We have some interesting OOD games up here in Loudoun (mostly centering around Stone Bridge) but unfortunately all four games will be outside of the county.

Stone Bridge @ Martinsburg (WV)
Stone Bridge @ Quince Orchard (MD)
Stone Bridge @ Good Counsel (MD Private)
Briar Woods @ Fort Hill (MD)

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
45-60 points to a team like Varina is disrespectful. Granted it is Week 1 and Freedom does bring back a lot I’d say Freedom -21. Somewhere in the realm of 42-20. I just wanted Varina to develop an offensive identity. Last year through multiple games against teams they should’ve steamrolled they struggled because they really didn’t have an offensive identity. Not having that identity came back to hunt them against HS, KG & nearly cost them against PH

Well said @General172011. I know Freedom will be quite good and returns a lot of talent, but Varina is used to facing this type of challenge. Freedom will win likely win the game; however, I don't expect the Varina defense that gave up about 10 points a game last year and still has a majority of their talent to get pounded or even give up 40+ points. @BoKnowsSports and @HooSprings I would agree with Linwood Johnson's upside, but that's exactly what it is at this point. Myles Derricott was a solid quarterback (He won a state title in 2021). However, I don't think for a minute the Varina coaches would sacrifice a shot at a championship if Johnson was ready last year. He may be super talented, but this will be his first start and the Freedom db's are very good. @BoKnowsSports, you cited Dalton from Dinwiddie as an example and I will tell you General fans (not Coach Mills) had some reservations about him as a new starting quarterback. Harry obviously had a great year and dismissed our concerns early, but still had some growing pains. I am sure Johnson will work through the early season learning curve and will become the stud you predict. King George has a plethora of returning talent (two 4 star receivers of their own), but I have no clue about their upcoming schedule. @FoxesPride who are you guys playing OOD?

Well said @General172011. I know Freedom will be quite good and returns a lot of talent, but Varina is used to facing this type of challenge. Freedom will win likely win the game; however, I don't expect the Varina defense that gave up about 10 points a game last year and still has a majority of their talent to get pounded or even give up 40+ points. @BoKnowsSports and @HooSprings I would agree with Linwood Johnson's upside, but that's exactly what it is at this point. Myles Derricott was a solid quarterback (He won a state title in 2021). However, I don't think for a minute the Varina coaches would sacrifice a shot at a championship if Johnson was ready last year. He may be super talented, but this will be his first start and the Freedom db's are very good. @BoKnowsSports, you cited Dalton from Dinwiddie as an example and I will tell you General fans (not Coach Mills) had some reservations about him as a new starting quarterback. Harry obviously had a great year and dismissed our concerns early, but still had some growing pains. I am sure Johnson will work through the early season learning curve and will become the stud you predict. King George has a plethora of returning talent (two 4 star receivers of their own), but I have no clue about their upcoming schedule. @FoxesPride who are you guys playing OOD?
I can’t say he’s the talent of Harry Dalton but I think he’ll impact the game on that level especially with all of the weapons he has around him. The previous QB was good but all due respect, isn’t on Linwood’s potential level. Linwood is a lot like Bobby Dunn which could be scary.

Last edited:
I
Now don’t get me wrong, Varina is a top program, no question about it. But, statistically you have to look at last season. (And I know last season is dead and gone, but it’s all we have to go on for the time being.)

Freedom averaged better than 63 points a game. They gave up an average of less than 10 points per game. They damn near scored an absurd 1000 points last season. Average winning margin? 53 points.

That is a tough hill to climb right there.

Again, don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of Freedom. Given the same “freedom”, (no pun intended), to assemble players the way that I hear Freedom does, most teams could build a similar powerhouse.
I doubt Linwood will ve overwhelmed playing against Freedom’s defense because he spent several years in rec beating a lot of those PME kids that are now playing for Freedom.

@Thomasddev, it sounds like this kid is a stud. I am genuinely curious. Why did he sit his sophomore year? Varina fans have expressed how bland the offense was, so it surely intrigues me. By the way, L. Johnson was 28-52 passing for 249 yards with 2 tds and 2 ints. That's good stats for a backup.

Last edited:
@Thomasddev, it sounds like this kid is a stud. I am genuinely curious. Why did he sit his sophomore year? Varina fans have expressed the how bland the offense was, so it surely intrigues me. By the way, L. Johnson was 28-52 passing for 249 yards with 2 tds and 2 ints. That's good stats for a backup.
He wasn’t going to start over Derricot. QB was really the only place he could’ve played cause they were so loaded at WR and DB. Also factor in he was the starting QB on the state championship team.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
@Thomasddev, it sounds like this kid is a stud. I am genuinely curious. sat Why did he sit his sophomore year? Varina fans have expressed how bland the offense was, so it surely intrigues me. By the way, L. Johnson was 28-52 passing for 249 yards with 2 tds and 2 ints. That's good stats for a backup.
I can't tell you why Linwood sat last year, perhaps it was because Derricott didn't do anything to lose his starting job. Please remember Derricott won a state championship the year before and he was a senior. He didn't play bad last year, Varina issue last year was not qb, their biggest issue was poor team chemistry. Fisher was the glue that held Varina together which helped them win the chip the year before but once graduated they had chemistry issues. HSHS went through the same chemistry issues the year before.

Thanks for the response. I actually said in an earlier post that Derricot had won a championship and could not imagine the coaches making a change if Johnson wasnt ready. I was a huge fan of Derricot. He was a very steady QB and took a beating at times running the ball. I agree it's hard to lose a player like Fisher. How do you think the loss of Keys will effect the Blue Devils? Varina will surely be in the mix to win it all. I am not knocking anyone I just love to talk football with knowledgeable people. Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. I actually said in an earlier post that Derricot had won a championship and could not imagine the coaches making a change if Johnson wasnt ready. I was a huge fan of Derricot. He was a very steady QB and took a beating at times running the ball. I agree it's hard to lose a player like Fisher. How do you think the loss of Keys will effect the Blue Devils? Varina will surely be in the mix to win it all. I am not knocking anyone I just love to talk football with knowledgeable people. Thanks again.
No worries, I did not sense any malicious intent with your as I also enjoy the convo. I don't believe Varina will be seriously impacted by the lost of keys much because the kid D-1 will fill in fine for him and they also had a bunch of young kids that played varsity last year that will a year more experienced this year. My only concern is how will they gel this as far as chemistry is concerned.

Team chemistry is a very underated quality. Sound coaching helps, but the kids have to want to play hard for one another. I have the same concerns about the 2023 Dinwiddie team. There is a bunch of talent, but we lost some serious leadership. Mills and Dalton have a very special bond, so time will tell for both teams. I am very interested to see who the next King George QB is.

My way, way, too early Region B tier list. No specific order.

Tier 1:. King George, Varina, Dinwiddie
Tier 2:. PH-Ashland, Hanover, Eastern View
Tier 3:. Monacan, Atlee, Powhatan, Courtland
Tier 4:. Huguenot, Caroline County
Tier 5:. Everybody else

That was my whole point. This won’t be his “first game”. If my numbers are correct, judging by the schedule, this will be his sixth or seventh game, not his first. This kid is coming with high regards. Derricot was serviceable,and didn’t turn the ball over,but imho wasn’t a great passer. I always stated,his WR made him look better than he was. That’s why he had very few offers and no real big ones. I was never impressed with his passing motion but threw a high enough deep ball to enable his D1 WRs to go get it. This kid is better at this stage than Derricott was. By the time he gets to Freedom,the game will have slowed down for him,and I’d expect a typical battle of titans. Anybody want to give me Varina and 40 points,I’ll gladly take any money you want to lose.

As far as the number of points freedom scored last year, we have discussed this at nauseam, and that schedule was not exactly challenging. But,I’m not getting into that. That’s behind us.

Who did Freedom play last year that we could say had similar athletes to match up with their skill positions. I keep saying Freedom benefited from Oscar Smith being down last year. The prior 2 years Oscar Smith was crushing everything in Class 6 and we didn't hear anything about Freedom.

I'll be the first to say that as far as their area competition goes Freedom was alone at the top in 2022. Probably the biggest discrepancy in PWC/Manassas area football competition between the top team and all the rest that I've seen. Aside from Stone Bridge hanging in there a bit, Freedom was not challenged. So I get it could be hard to find a team to compare to. But IMO a dominant team can still be considered a dominant team regardless of overall schedule strength.

If I have to go to fantasy land, I'd say 2022 Freedom deserves to be in the same conversation as recent dominant teams like 2018 Manchester, 2020/21 Smith. I think Freedom would have won last year against a traditionally strong Oscar Smith team that wasn't down, but it probably would have been a good game. 2020/21 Smith vs. 2022 Freedom would be an exciting match up. I'd say 2022 Phoebus or Highland Springs would have been an interesting game for Freedom as well. But all the hypothetical fantasy land match-ups - we will never know for sure.

Don't forget about that 2020 Massaponax team that gave Smith a tough game in the semi-finals.

That was probably the best Pox team ever. An honestly if 2020 was a normal season, I believe they beat Smith @ home. Luke Morley was unreal!! Covid really hurt a few teams that had so much potential that year.

Reactions: OnlyVA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT