ADVERTISEMENT

Matoaca (Reg C) at Stone Bridge (Reg D)

SBOEDog

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2019
Congrats to both the Warriors and Bulldogs on advancing to the Class 5 state semi’s. Both teams had great defensive efforts in their Regional Championship games to advance. Matoaca held William Fleming to 3 points and 173 yards of total offense. Stone Bridge kept Briar Woods in check with 6 points and 137 yards of total offense. Both teams can score the rock when they get rolling. Coach Fred Stoots has Matoaca 1 game away from a championship game appearance in just his 2nd season at the helm. Coach Thompson will lead the Bulldogs into their 16th state semi-final game in 24 years with the whistle.

Would love to hear any thoughts on how you think this game will turn out. Only 1 meeting in their history (a 2005 Stone Bridge victory). Good luck to both teams.

If the improvement at Stone Bridge through the season is to be believed, I would have to think Matoaca is overmatched. They benefited greatly from a weak region, and an even weaker regional final opponent in Fleming. Congrats to the warriors, but I suspect their season ends on Saturday.

If Stone Bridge can establish the running game and defend the pass they will win. Matoaca has some good athletes, but can be pushed around. Beating them down physically is the key.

Dang @wolverinedad2018 we actually agree on something. I hope all is well. Running on Matoaca is the key to the gate. #52 Williams and the other big guys up front will wear out fast if you pound the rock. If you let them pin their ears back and rush the passer watch out. The Warriors defensive backs are solid and the lb play is just average.

If Stonebridge cannot get pressure on the Matoaca QB Riley Justus then Minter, Yates, and Montino Williams will get open. #1 Williams is a capable back, but again their line play is a bit soft. A high scoring affair would surely favor Matoaca.

I don't know a thing about this years Stonebridge team. I would love to see a Central District team play for the championship, unfortunately history and knowing the Warriors well tells me Matoaca's run will come to an end next weekend.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Dang @wolverinedad2018 we actually agree on something. I hope all is well. Running on Matoaca is the key to the gate. #52 Williams and the other big guys up front will wear out fast if you pound the rock. If you let them pin their ears back and rush the passer watch out. The Warriors defensive backs are solid and the lb play is just average.

If Stonebridge cannot get pressure on the Matoaca QB Riley Justus then Minter, Yates, and Montino Williams will get open. #1 Williams is a capable back, but again their line play is a bit soft. A high scoring affair would surely favor Matoaca.

I don't know a thing about this years Stonebridge team. I would love to see a Central District team play for the championship, unfortunately history and knowing the Warriors well tells me Matoaca's run will come to an end next weekend.
Stonebridge got healthy!!! They played a gauntlet missing 8 or more REGULAR starters. Their Depth got slapped around and pushed around, but they gained experience against some outstanding teams. Once they got healthy, the depth was already experienced and they have steamrolled everyone they have faced since then. They lost on a Hail Mary final play in a game earlier this year against one of the Maryland power houses.

It’s impossible to game plan for that offense in a weeks time! They’re able to run the single wing and spread, and you have to plan for both with the same personnel on the field. Their style forces teams with speed to play at their speed. Their coach is a genius and a master. You better have discipline on defense. With that single wing, you better find the ball fast. These kids run the same offense from rec league all the way to high school so they don’t have to re-teach it every year to new players. Only players coming into the area new have to learn it and it doesn’t take long.

I wish Matoaca well, but from experience, this is a tough uphill battle. They have proved they can score and they have faced a very good schedule, but that schedule is not Stonebridge. Best of luck to both teams.

Who are the starters that were out for Stone Bridge at the start of the year? I have watched them against martinsburg and again watched them against Briar Woods this past weekend. Seemed like mostly the same #s to me.

Who are the starters that were out for Stone Bridge at the start of the year? I have watched them against martinsburg and again watched them against Briar Woods this past weekend. Seemed like mostly the same #s to me.
Look again! They were missing about 8 starters. I’m not even from there and knew they were missing. You must be looking at the depth rotations now,because that time game them depth experience. @SBOEDog tell me if I’m wrong!

They certainly had some early season injuries that came into play. Not sure it was 8, but they are healthier now and get 1 more key player back against Matoaca. The schedule certainly took a toll on them and they appear to have weathered that storm. Matoaca should be a challenging foe and we know what likely looms on the other side should they advance. State championships should be hard to attain. Any of the 6 teams that win one this year will have earned it on the field.

Matoaca lost to Warhill! They were shutdown by Warhill! Now they face a team that has been in the mix for 18 years. Warhill has never been a Stone Bridge practice squad! I believe in supporting teams and discussing football but is Stone Bridge who we think they are? Is Stone Bridge the same Stone Bridge Bulldogs that exploded on the scene in 2005 and played Hampton to the final buzzer? Come on man! If Stone Bridge loses to Matoaca I am banned from attending high school football games until after the 2025 season and I have to wear Dinwiddie blue every Friday night while breakdancing to Mighty Mighty by Earth, Wind and Fire until 2026. I'm sorry.

Good Luck Matoaca!!

I hope they play to their ability. It’s been a blast to watch these guys. I have a family member on the team and I’ve been watching most of these little dudes since they were in flag. It’s awesome to see them growing up and still loving the game.

Way back in the day I played on a few good teams and coached some really good teams. Matoaca has a good team. It’s a solid reg championship team. This time of year is about stopping the run and not turning it over.

Good Luck Matoaca!!

I hope they play to their ability. It’s been a blast to watch these guys. I have a family member on the team and I’ve been watching most of these little dudes since they were in flag. It’s awesome to see them growing up and still loving the game.

Way back in the day I played on a few good teams and coached some really good teams. Matoaca has a good team. It’s a solid reg championship team. This time of year is about stopping the run and not turning it over.
You are correct @croakerfishin. about stopping the run game and to be honest that's were I believe they will falter. This Matoaca team is much better since their early season loss to Warhill, but Stockbridge's offense and physicality may be too much.

I watched some video on Stonebridge and Matoaca's offensive skill players can have some success if their QB gets time to throw. Unfortunately, I just don't see the warriors being able to establish a running game.

Based on my observations and the uniqueness of the Bulldogs offense I see Stonebridge controlling the clock and wearing the Warrior defense down. I hope I'm wrong, because I am going to personally mail Mr. Harris a Navy Nation shirt.

You are correct @croakerfishin. about stopping the run game and to be honest that's were I believe they will falter. This Matoaca team is much better since their early season loss to Warhill, but Stockbridge's offense and physicality may be too much.

I watched some video on Stonebridge and Matoaca's offensive skill players can have some success if their QB gets time to throw. Unfortunately, I just don't see the warriors being able to establish a running game.

Based on my observations and the uniqueness of the Bulldogs offense I see Stonebridge controlling the clock and wearing the Warrior defense down. I hope I'm wrong, because I am going to personally mail Mr. Harris a Navy Nation shirt.
I want the shirt anyway!

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Congrats to Coach Fred Stoots and the Matoaca Warriors on a fine season. Like every team, they lose a few key pieces but return 2 very talented wide receivers (Bryce Yates and Dillon Newton-Short) and a fierce defensive end in Caleb Williams. Several other key contributors including Montino Williams at running back will be back as well. Coach Stoots has Matoaca heading in the right direction for sure. Depending on the rise and fall of other teams in Region C, I could see them making another run at a regional title. Best of luck in ‘24.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT