James Monroe @ #19 Charlottesville CVILLE-3.5
Lord Botetourt @ #2 Blacksburg BBURG-2
Hidden Valley @ #6 William Byrd WB-14
#8 Eastern View @ Turner Ashby EV-17
Western Branch @ #4 Lake Taylor LT-14
#18 EC Glass @ Halifax County ECG-14
William Fleming @ #22 Pulaski County PC-5
Franklin County @ #2 Salem SHS-35

Good stuff Black Knight. I only have three differences. Two are line related and one is related to the winner. Lafayette wins by 14, Louisa wins by at least 3 scores, and Massaponax beats Woodgrove. Thanks for the hard work.

Thursday, August 31st:
Norcom @ #5 Lafayette LAF-3.5
Glen Allen @ #10 Monacan MON-17
Midlothian @ #24 Powhatan POW-7

Friday, September 1st:
Games of the Week:
#23 Smithfield @ #1 Dinwiddie DIN-10
#20 George Washington @ #7 Amherst County AMH-1

#13 Louisa County @ #21 Chancellor LC-13
Loudoun County @ #12 Millbrook MILL-10
#17 Sherando @ Jefferson SHS-28
Potomac Falls @ #16 Dominion PF-14
Massaponax @ #9 Woodgrove WHS-1
#15 Grafton @ Churchland GRAF-10
James Monroe @ #19 Charlottesville CVILLE-3.5
Lord Botetourt @ #2 Blacksburg BBURG-2
Hidden Valley @ #6 William Byrd WB-14
#8 Eastern View @ Turner Ashby EV-17
Western Branch @ #4 Lake Taylor LT-14
#18 EC Glass @ Halifax County ECG-14
William Fleming @ #22 Pulaski County PC-5
Franklin County @ #2 Salem SHS-35

blackknight_pride, can you share a link where you find this on MaxPreps? I have not been able to find it yet.

Who to check out on Friday night for me...
Should I check out
LT vs Western Branch?
Lafayette vs Norcom?
HSHS vs Woodside?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I would have said HSHS vs Woodside but the wolverines are not the team they were the last couple of years. I watched Gloucester game highlights & they just weren't the same team that beat Grassfield & played Oscar Smith tough.

So, I think it's tough to decide, I'm actually wondering the same thing, given our bye week. I'm currently leaning toward the WB vs LT game mainly because I know Smith will play WB later in the year. I also expect it to be a battle of the Wing T vs the Veer Offense.

You know you are welcome to come south?

Personally, I think the LT game would be my choice.

I will admit, Lafayette and Norcom suddenly got interesting. Although, I think Hopewell was over-rated.

I look for HSHS to win in a blowout.

What about the "Battle of Chester?"

BTW, PG plays Thursday night if anyone wants to have "two-fer" this weekend.

Last edited:
Well I feel like somebody has to vet LT for the central region at some point now that devils is no longer a regular.

I already know what Dinwiddie has got!

I forgot about the TD-Bird game. I might do that one.

You know you are welcome to come south?

Personally, I think the LT game would be my choice.

I will admit, Lafayette and Norcom suddenly got interesting. Although, I think Hopewell was over-rated.

I look for HSHS to win in a blowout.

What about the "Battle of Chester?"

BTW, PG plays Thursday night if anyone wants to have "two-fer" this weekend.
After reading Hopewell starts as many freshman as seniors and lost to graduation 4 of 5 O lineman I can see that Hopewell may not be quite the team some expected this year. I was surprised neither team could score in the crunch time of the second half.Norcom does have the advantage of a game under their belt , should be interesting.

You dont need to be humble Lafayette. Your Rams will win easily. Hopewell, is not a good defensive or physical team and Norcom only put 18 points on the board. Lafayettes bread and butter is between the tackles.

Lafayette 42-14.

From, Ultimate recruit.com

Lake Taylor is still the reigning district champion

by Jamaar Hawkins, recruit757

Team: Lake Taylor (Norfolk, Virginia)
Classification/District: 4A/Eastern
2016 Record: 11-2 (4A East Semifinal loss to Dinwiddie, 29-15)
Head Coach: Hank Sawyer
Colors: Red, Black and White
Mascot: Titans

Each summer, the same question seems to navigate through Eastern District football circles: Is this the year a team finally removes Lake Taylor from atop the district throne?

Since the Titans last suffered a loss to an Eastern District team back in 2010, the answer has been a resounding NO.

Last year, Norview came as close as few have, losing 27-20 on a last-second interception by Titans defensive back Terique Minor. Ironically, Norview also came within a late game drive of defeating Highland Springs in the Group 5A South region final to end the 2016 season.

The Titans only lost two games last year. They were awakened in the season opener by Heritage of Newport News. The Titans got their revenge for that 35-21 loss by dispatching Heritage in the second round of the postseason by a convincing 42-19 score. Lake Taylor’s season ended the next week on the road at Dinwiddie with a hard fought 29-15 loss to the Generals that was much closer than the final score indicates.

Lake Taylor will lose last year’s starter at quarterback Tyrek Hughey and leading rusher Rashawn Griffin. Last year’s top receiver Rashard Russell also graduated leaving the Titans inexperienced in a number of key areas following that 11-2 finish.

Junior Javon Harvey (6’1” 175) will take over for Hughey under center. Harvey will have third-year starter Deon Smith at running back. While 5-foot-9 sophomore Domiinique Beale will step in Griffin’s spot. Sawyer also expects wide receivers Malachi Houchins (SR 6’3”180) and Corey Holloway (JR 6’3”225) to be significant contributors. Senior center Troy Davis, whom Sawyer calls, “one of the best blockers I have coached,” will lead an experienced offensive line that features all juniors and four returning starters.

Sawyer also expects Smith to have another solid season in the backfield, having already amassed over 1,800 yards during his first three seasons with the Titans. It will be up to Smith and Harvey to continue to hammer opposing defenses with Lake Taylor’s trademark veer offense, made famous by the 2000 highly-acclaimed film, “Remember the Titans.”

Defensively, Lake Taylor also replaces last year’s leading tackler Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey with a myriad of players, including senior Jalen Burton. Just like any other season expect Lake Taylor to play an aggressive style of defense relying on constant pressure from a variety of angles. Harvey, along with juniors Derrick Freeman and Donovan Bishop will man the secondary unit. Sawyer’s unit is usually one of the area’s stingiest defenses. The longtime coach enters the 2017 season as the winner of two state titles in three appearances during his tenure with program.

Lake Taylor welcomes regular season contests against formidable opponents in Western Branch and Phoebus, along with the usual rivalry matchup with Norview. Save for a complete disaster at the quarterback position, Lake Taylor is likely poised for another run at a state title, at the very least, another district crown. Norview and Norcom stand as the programs most likely to assert a right to change that.

– Jamaar Hawkins

Each summer, the same question seems to navigate through Eastern District football circles: Is this the year a team finally removes Lake Taylor from atop the district throne?

Since the Titans last suffered a loss to an Eastern District team back in 2010, the answer has been a resounding NO.

Last year, Norview came as close as few have, losing 27-20 on a last-second interception by Titans defensive back Terique Minor. Ironically, Norview also came within a late game drive of defeating Highland Springs in the Group 5A South region final to end the 2016 season.

The Titans only lost two games last year. They were awakened in the season opener by Heritage of Newport News. The Titans got their revenge for that 35-21 loss by dispatching Heritage in the second round of the postseason by a convincing 42-19 score. Lake Taylor’s season ended the next week on the road at Dinwiddie with a hard fought 29-15 loss to the Generals that was much closer than the final score indicates.

Lake Taylor will lose last year’s starter at quarterback Tyrek Hughey and leading rusher Rashawn Griffin. Last year’s top receiver Rashard Russell also graduated leaving the Titans inexperienced in a number of key areas following that 11-2 finish.

Junior Javon Harvey (6’1” 175) will take over for Hughey under center. Harvey will have third-year starter Deon Smith at running back. While 5-foot-9 sophomore Domiinique Beale will step in Griffin’s spot. Sawyer also expects wide receivers Malachi Houchins (SR 6’3”180) and Corey Holloway (JR 6’3”225) to be significant contributors. Senior center Troy Davis, whom Sawyer calls, “one of the best blockers I have coached,” will lead an experienced offensive line that features all juniors and four returning starters.

Sawyer also expects Smith to have another solid season in the backfield, having already amassed over 1,800 yards during his first three seasons with the Titans. It will be up to Smith and Harvey to continue to hammer opposing defenses with Lake Taylor’s trademark veer offense, made famous by the 2000 highly-acclaimed film, “Remember the Titans.”

Defensively, Lake Taylor also replaces last year’s leading tackler Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey with a myriad of players, including senior Jalen Burton. Just like any other season expect Lake Taylor to play an aggressive style of defense relying on constant pressure from a variety of angles. Harvey, along with juniors Derrick Freeman and Donovan Bishop will man the secondary unit. Sawyer’s unit is usually one of the area’s stingiest defenses. The longtime coach enters the 2017 season as the winner of two state titles in three appearances during his tenure with program.

Lake Taylor welcomes regular season contests against formidable opponents in Western Branch and Phoebus, along with the usual rivalry matchup with Norview. Save for a complete disaster at the quarterback position, Lake Taylor is likely poised for another run at a state title, at the very least, another district crown. Norview and Norcom stand as the programs most likely to assert a right to change that.

– Jamaar Hawkins

'It will be up to Smith and Harvey to continue to hammer opposing defenses with Lake Taylor’s trademark veer offense, made famous by the 2000 highly-acclaimed film, “Remember the Titans.” '

Ummmm.....say what?

– Jamaar Hawkins

Honestly Lake Taylor has a relatively cup-cake schedule. If they are LT of old they should go undefeated in the reg season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT