ADVERTISEMENT

Maxpreps

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
I have always said Maxpreps is like wikipedia-can be unreliable because people can pretty easily manipulate or post false information. That being said, I think the Class 4 rankings have actually been pretty solid for their algorithm this year. Here is the Class 4 Top 10 on Maxpreps after the state semis.

1Dinwiddie14-048.311.7
2Kettle Run (Nokesville)14-035.15.9
3King George11-132.87.3
4Glass (Lynchburg)12-230.810.9
5Varina (Richmond)10-227.910.4
6Loudoun County (Leesburg)12-127.05.4
7Warwick (Newport News)12-225.18.8
8Salem10-323.87.2
9King's Fork (Suffolk)10-320.94.7
10Hanover (Mechanicsville)9-320.411.8

Personally, I think this list is how I would go as well. Louisa sits just outside the top 10 at #11. King George may ultimately prove to be better than Kettle Run (if Dinwiddie beats them convincingly) but until that game happens I think its cool how the last two teams are #1 and #2. Glass was #2 until KR beat them. Strength of Schedule is also always interesting to look at on here, and although the numbers can be skewed I think that the Maxpreps algorithm got it mostly right at this point.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Final rankings seem pretty accurate, except I don't know how Heritage Lynchburg is ranked ahead of KG overall.

Heritage had an extremely good schedule, they played a regional finalist twice and beat them once, beat two semifinalists, and played the C3 and C4 champs. Their opponents' W/L record was a ridiculous 128-60. KG's opponents finished 75-60 and 15 of those wins were Dinwiddie so the other 11 teams had 60 wins between them. CalPreps' formula rewards you for playing a difficult schedule, there's a lot of weight to that aspect in the formula.

Fact is KG' short PO run did them no favors and their best wins don't look so far and away better than what Heritage put up. Most people agree KG was a great team but a computer isn't going to just give them "what if" points.

Last edited:
Heritage had an extremely good schedule, they played a regional finalist twice and beat them once, beat two semifinalists, and played the C3 and C4 champs. Their opponents' W/L record was a ridiculous 128-60. KG's opponents finished 75-60 and 15 of those wins were Dinwiddie so the other 11 teams had 60 wins between them. CalPreps' formula rewards you for playing a difficult schedule, there's a lot of weight to that aspect in the formula.

Fact is KG' short PO run did them no favors and their best wins don't look so far and away better than what Heritage put up. Most people agree KG was a great team but a computer isn't going to just give them "what if" points.
I'm just pointing out that Heritage got blown out by Dinwiddie and Phoebus...we took Dinwiddie to overtime and would not get blown out by Phoebus. I know it is an algorithm that I think did a pretty good job, except for Heritage being ranked ahead of us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT