ADVERTISEMENT

May I ask what happened to the Next thread?

Somebody reported it. Probably can guess who as they said they felt attacked. Can’t have discussions with everybody.

Reactions: VolNation85
It has been restarted with this thread. We should get some clarification on several jobs this week???? Several contain assumptions and rumors, but that what makes this topic a good one. My guess is Amherst will go outside of the Seminole, but make a solid hire.

It has been restarted with this thread. We should get some clarification on several jobs this week???? Several contain assumptions and rumors, but that what makes this topic a good one. My guess is Amherst will go outside of the Seminole, but make a solid hire.
My biggest question is the Woody potentially leaving Glass is a real thing? If Glass opens up, I believe that takes the cake as the best available head coaching job open in Central Virginia (even over the Richmond area openings).

The Seminole is definitely the most SEC-like of districts in Virginia, at least for their fanbases. 🤣

The Seminole has a lot to be proud of and they are surely one of the best districts in the state. I don't know a lot about the Northern VA districts, but I would say the Capital District in Richmond would be a tough grind for most teams in Virginia and surely is in line competative wise. Last year they had the Class 5 and Class 4 State Champions. Their teams include: Highland Springs, Varina, Patrick Henry -Ashland, Hanover, Atlee, Henrico, Mechanicsville, and Armstrong.

I agree on the Amherst prediction! @BleedingNavy Are any Dinwiddie assistants looking to make a step up the coaching ladder?

Last edited:
The Seminole has a lot to be proud of and they are surely one of the best districts in the state. I don't know a lot about the Northern VA districts, but I would say the Capital District in Richmond would be a tough grind for most teams in Virginia and surely is in line competative wise. Last year they had the Class 5 and Class 4 State Champions. Their teams include: Highland Springs, Varina, Patrick Henry -Ashland, Hanover, Atlee, Henrico, Mechanicsville, and Armstrong.
I agree! The Southeastern District was pretty stout this year too with Western Branch, King's Fork, and Nansemond River all making it to their respective region championship games! Plus Oscar Smith and Deep Creek is in that district too!

A few years ago the Commonwealth district was one of the toughest too but they are not as consistent year in and year out as the Capital or Seminole. Their district includes Colonial Forge, Massaponax, North Stafford, Brooke Pointe, Riverbend, Mountain View and Stafford.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
The Central District would be a top dog if Meadowbrook and Prince George could string together a few wins. Thomas Dale, Matoaca, Dinwiddie, Hopewell, Prince George (by default they are horrible) and Colonial Heights all made the playoffs. Petersburg just missed in a loaded Class 3 Region A.

I agree on the Amherst prediction! @BleedingNavy Are any Dinwiddie assistants looking to make a step up the coaching ladder?
Dinwiddie has a few guys who could make the jump, but will not. Coach Davis is fantastic, but he has been there and done it. I don't think he would leave now. Most of our guys are young and loyal to the County, so I don't see any movement right now. I could be wrong though.

Dinwiddie has a few guys who could make the jump, but will not. Coach Davis is fantastic, but he has been there and done it. I don't think he would leave now. Most of our guys are young and loyal to the County, so I don't see any movement right now. I could be wrong though.
Is the younger coach who used to post on here (I met him a few times when I’d sit with y’all) still at Dinwiddie? I think he taught at the middle school.

Marcus coaches the middle school and is our statistician. He is the best in the business and extremely loyal. We love him and his family to death. He hopes to take over for his dad who is the head baseball coach at VSU someday. He is also a fantastic t-shirt and screen print designer. The young man knows how to hustle in a good way.

My biggest question is the Woody potentially leaving Glass is a real thing? If Glass opens up, I believe that takes the cake as the best available head coaching job open in Central Virginia (even over the Richmond area openings).
My question to you and others is two fold. First, what characteristics/attributes do you believe make Glass the best coaching job open in Central Virginia? The second question for you, others on this board and particularly coaches is what attributes/characteristics, in order of priority/importance, would you consider in evaluating the desirability of a coaching position?

My question to you and others is two fold. First, what characteristics/attributes do you believe make Glass the best coaching job open in Central Virginia? The second question for you, others on this board and particularly coaches is what attributes/characteristics, in order of priority/importance, would you consider in evaluating the desirability of a coaching position?

I have no clue about question #1; however, I would like to take on part 2. The following are the things I would find attractive in a coaching position. They just happen be the things Coach Mills has was worked hard for and earned at Dinwiddie.

1. Competative pay/stipend.
2. Some Freedom to hire/recruit staff.
3. Seasoned and supportive Athletic Director and Administrative support.
4. Good Facilities (weight room, field, field house).
5. Class schedule (done by lunch), teach classes of my choice, and position in building.
6. Unselfish Community support/Booster club and GameDay crew. Only responsibility is the team.
7. Do not have to totally rebuild.
8. None or very minimal fund raising required by players or staff.

Last edited:
I have no clue about question #1; however, I would like to take on part 2. The following are the things I would find attractive in a coaching position. They just happen be the things Coach Mills has was worked hard for and earned at Dinwiddie.

1. Competative pay/stipend.
2. Some Freedom to hire/recruit staff.
3. Seasoned and supportive Athletic Director and Administrative support.
4. Good Facilities (weight room, field, field house).
5. Class schedule (done by lunch), teach classes of my choice, and position in building.
6. Unselfish Community support/Booster club and GameDay crew. Only responsibility is the team.
7. Do not have to totally rebuild.
8. None or very minimal fund raising required by players or staff.
Thanks! I think that is a damn good answer based on my experience. There may be a few additional thoughts from others but, I think you've laid the basic foundation. You did not include one thing I thought you would, that being an established and productive feeder program. I figure fans from Dinwiddie, Salem, Amherst and some others in Richmond, NOVA and 757 would have good ideas.

You are spot on. I forgot to mention the feeder program and yes it is a key component to a good HS program. Dinwiddie had a small rec program when Mills came to town, but his support and a slew of former players coaching his system helped our youth program explode. We unfortunately and tragically lost one of our young studs to an illness, but our Middle School team is loaded. It's great for the kids to see coach on the sidelines pumping them up each and every Saturday. I would not want to be the guy who follows in Mills footsteps.

Last edited:
Since Navy answered 2, I’ll answer 1.

1. There is a lot of talent in that program and they have two solid feeder programs. Very solid foundation in Lynchburg.
2. Facilities. They invest in that school (and Heritage). Practice facilities, game facilities, field house, weight room, all better than any of the current openings in Central VA.
3. History and tradition. Everyone in the state knows who Glass is and Coach Henson’s name is often mentioned when the “who’s the best” is discussed. Woody and his staff has done an amazing job of rejuvenating that program to where they’re relevant again.
4. The Seminole District is one of the best districts in the state.
5. Competitive pay, location and cheaper costs of living. Liberty has given Lynchburg quite a few amenities. I’d also add that I love Lynchburg’s location. 1 hour 30 from RVA, Roanoke is about 50 minutes, Charlottesville is an hour, DC and Charlotte are both about 3 hours away. Definitely works to your advantage when scheduling good opponents.
6. The Topper Touchdown Club takes extremely good care of that coaching staff and student athletes. This should probably be higher.
7. Glass is 2nd all time in VHSL wins for all sports, 7x state champs, 6x state runner up. This should be under the “History and tradition”, but I think it deserves its own section. Eagle for life, but our rivals’ sports program definitely has my upmost respect.

Last edited:
Well said @BoKnowsSports. I believe you answered #1 and #2. I agree with you about Lynchburg. It's a fun place to visit, shop, and watch sports. For those who don't know the Lynchburg is becoming a disc golf destination. In fact, they are hosting the world championship this summer. Yes, disc golf is fast growing sport throughout the United States. You don't have to be good to have fun either plus the walking is great exercise.

Last edited:
Since Navy answered 2, I’ll answer 1.

1. There is a lot of talent in that program and they have two solid feeder programs. Very solid foundation in Lynchburg.
2. Facilities. They invest in that school (and Heritage). Practice facilities, game facilities, field house, weight room, all better than any of the current openings in Central VA.
3. History and tradition. Everyone in the state knows who Glass is and Coach Henson’s name is often mentioned when the “who’s the best” is discussed. Woody and his staff has done an amazing job of rejuvenating that program to where they’re relevant again.
4. The Seminole District is one of the best districts in the state.
5. Competitive pay, location and cheaper costs of living. Liberty has given Lynchburg quite a few amenities. I’d also add that I love Lynchburg’s location. 1 hour 30 from RVA, Roanoke is about 50 minutes, Charlottesville an hour, DC and Charlotte are both about 3 hours away. Definitely works to your advantage when scheduling good opponents.
6. The Hilltopper Club takes extremely good care of that coaching staff and student athletes. This should probably be higher.
2111 Memorial Ave is a very special place. Winning always feels good, but nothing feels better than winning with city kids at E.C. Glass!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT