ADVERTISEMENT

Meadowbrook

What is going on at Meadowbrook. The HC job has been posted?
Hard to believe just a few short years ago this program was a perennial playoff contender. From 2003-2012 the Monarchs won 8 or more games in 8 of 10 seasons!

The Monarchs now have gone three seasons without a win, their last win was against Hopewell in November 2017.

If you look at a map, George Wythe and Meadowbrook are in the same geographic area. That area is now heavily Hispanic. That mean a large part of their male population has no interest in grid iron football. It is amazing that they can even field a team. There was a school in Nova (Manassas Park) that actually had to shut down their FB program for a year for lack of participation for the same reason.

Last edited:
If you look at a map, George Wythe and Meadowbrook are in the same geographic area. That area is now heavily Hispanic. That mean a large part of their male population that has no interest in grid iron football. It is amazing that they can even field a team. There was a school in Nova (Manassas Park) that actually had to shut down their FB program for a year for lack of participation for the same reason.
You are very accurate in saying this, IMO. Lots of people point to CTE issues or youth having a lot of options when it comes to choosing extracurricular activities, but I think demographics is right up there as a top reason for the decline in football participation and quality of play in specific areas.

If you look at a map, George Wythe and Meadowbrook are in the same geographic area. That area is now heavily Hispanic. That mean a large part of their male population has no interest in grid iron football. It is amazing that they can even field a team. There was a school in Nova (Manassas Park) that actually had to shut down their FB program for a year for lack of participation for the same reason.
I wonder when they build the new George Wythe there will be any modification to the lines. Not that I think it will make all that much of a difference.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
We need there to be a city of Richmond power again and Huguenot is likely the only one that could do it. They have the facilities and the talent pool. Just got to do it. Tee Jay is good but we need it to be a larger classification school. Not to take away from Tee Jay though, what they have done is awesome.

What would help and i know everyone talked about it but Armstrong and George Wythe need to go to the Battlefield district or bring back the Southside district and go there. Thomas Jefferson and Marshall need to go to a district with Nottoway and Central Lunenburg.

I wonder when they build the new George Wythe there will be any modification to the lines. Not that I think it will make all that much of a difference.
Maybe. A lot of kids who live on Southside are bused over to Armstrong. Wythe has some folk in that building that mean the world to me, however, the system has failed a good number of students in Richmond city, especially George Wythe kids. I don’t know if they’ll ever be accredited because they are so far behind in SOLs, attendance and on time graduation rates.

What would help and i know everyone talked about it but Armstrong and George Wythe need to go to the Battlefield district or bring back the Southside district and go there. Thomas Jefferson and Marshall need to go to a district with Nottoway and Central Lunenburg.
Districts do not matter in this part of the state as long as you play close schools. All of the districts have schools in multiple classes.

Reactions: falcettik
It doesn't help when they play schools like Manchester, L C Bird and Highland Springs. If they played schools with close to the same enrollment they would win more games and the morale in the schools would be better. You can add other schools like Colonial Heights also.

Reactions: RVA804
It doesn't help when they play schools like Manchester, L C Bird and Highland Springs. If they played schools with close to the same enrollment they would win more games and the morale in the schools would be better. You can add other schools like Colonial Heights also.
some games are all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ - sort of like when Appy State went to Michigan.

Reactions: RVA804
Colonial Heights doesn't want to play the city schools. They would get killed in basketball and then they would struggle to compete in many other sports. Then the sports they would have success in, the city schools don't have teams in (Ex. Baseball, Soccer, Tennis, Field Hockey). They are best where they are currently.

Colonial Heights doesn't want to play the city schools. They would get killed in basketball and then they would struggle to compete in many other sports. Then the sports they would have success in, the city schools don't have teams in (Ex. Baseball, Soccer, Tennis, Field Hockey). They are best where they are currently.
which is why they moved in the first place but the landscape has changed since then and Armstrong is the only city school left in 3B.

It doesn't help teams that loose 60 - 0 when if they played teams close to their enrollment the scores would be more reasonable. Some of the smaller schools would start winning. I heard some of the schools don't even have a home football stadium so all their games are on the road. Maybe they should build a stadium in Richmond like the have in Hampton and Newport News with Darling stadium and Todd stadium.

It doesn't help teams that loose 60 - 0 when if they played teams close to their enrollment the scores would be more reasonable. Some of the smaller schools would start winning. I heard some of the schools don't even have a home football stadium so all their games are on the road. Maybe they should build a stadium in Richmond like the have in Hampton and Newport News with Darling stadium and Todd stadium.
we do it is called Huguenot Stadium and now that they have turf VUU will allow the high schools to use its stadium. But they still will make more money on the road.

Right. I know at least one city school negotiates a cut of the gate for playing both years of a cycle away.

They would still get crushed in the Battlefield pretty much weekly. The only team they'd compete with is Caroline. Add in the longer travel, and nope, not happening.

why would they join a district out of the area?
they do not have scheduling problems
If they want to play schools out of the area they play schools that they have historical relationships with.
Huguenot and Wythe are Class 4
Armstrong is Class 3
TJ and JM are Class 2

To play schools with the same enrollment and win more games. Bring back the Southside district. You could actually make a new 3A or 4A district in Richmond with the schools you have. They could do the same in the Tidewater area also.

Last edited:
Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
To play schools with the same enrollment and win more games. Bring back the Southside district. You could actually make a new 3A or 4A district in Richmond with the schools you have. They could do the same in the Tidewater area also.
but why?

This post kind of got off the rails with talk about Richmond city schools but really what is the issue at Meadowbrook?

I get the argument about the increase in Hispanic students but they still have plenty of other students to be competitive. They've loss 25 straight games in football and have scored more than 12 points in only one of those games. This includes being shutout 12 times in those 25 games. And it's not just football. Outside of boys soccer and girls basketball they have not been really good in any sport. Sad times for a school known to have athletes.

This post kind of got off the rails with talk about Richmond city schools but really what is the issue at Meadowbrook?

I get the argument about the increase in Hispanic students but they still have plenty of other students to be competitive. They've loss 25 straight games in football and have scored more than 12 points in only one of those games. This includes being shutout 12 times in those 25 games. And it's not just football. Outside of boys soccer and girls basketball they have not been really good in any sport. Sad times for a school known to have athletes.
no the FB athletes are transferring to other schools particularly Manchester.

I wrote about this 2-3 years ago. The list of players that left MBK is staggering.

I posted about this in December in another thread about HS Transfers. This is the list MBK transfers since 2016-2017.

KJ McNeil to Manchester
Pharrel Pleasants to Manchester
Anthony Gary to Manchester
Andre Crawley, Jr. to Manchester
Damir Whitaker to Manchester
Jamon Battle to L.C. Bird
Xavier Gordon to L.C. Bird
Jonathan Martin to L.C. Bird
Javonte Tuppince to L.C Bird
Teon Powell to Monacan
Conner Adams to Thomas Dale
Gabe Green to Clover Hill
Janez Clyburn to Clover Hill
Jayden Brown to Culpeper

Some really good players on that list. Tiller wasn't doing that well but MBK hasn’t won a game since he left.

I’m really hoping and praying that Coach Goodwyn will be supported and left alone by the administration of Meadowbrook. The athletic department at Meadowbrook is the problem, not the football coach, no matter which coach you want to consider.

Reactions: EPJr and CRF4Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT