ADVERTISEMENT

MILLBROOK @ SALEM INTERNET COVERAGE

Nov 28, 2015
Friday November 18th the Millbrook PIoneers battle the VIRGINIA 4A Defending State Champion Salem Spartans in the 4A West Playoffs. Foxsports1550.com will have live coverage beginning at 6:45pm. Kickoff is set for 7pm.

Nice. Will be interesting to hear from you after game win or lose. Have a safe trip and welcome to Salem. By the way. A few odds and ends that might help you. Salem is an independent city with a population of 25000, it is not part of Roanoke city or Roanoke County. Salem school system has one high school, one middle school and four elementarys. Salem has won Seven 4a State Championships since 1996. Salem has been a AAA runner-up and runner-up in 4a twice. Before the city built Salem High the high school for Salem was Andrew Lewis. Lewis won two AAA state Championships back in the 60s. And was runner-up to TCWilliams (Remember the Titans team) in the early seventies. The Spartans are 47-5 over the last four years (10-3. 14-1. 14-0. 9-1) Back in 98,99, and 2000 Salem won three State Champion ships in a row. The Stadium seats between 7 and 8000 and is the home of the Division 3 National Championship game the Stagg bowl. No other high school or college plays there. No lacrosse or soccer played in the stadium. Salem has a different stadium with field turf for those sports. Salem s head coach played at Salem and was a highly recruited safety and qb, but he had to give up football because of a neck injury. Now armed with this knowledge go forth informed and let no man or woman ever call you ignorant about Salem again

Last edited:
Friday November 18th the Millbrook PIoneers battle the VIRGINIA 4A Defending State Champion Salem Spartans in the 4A West Playoffs. Foxsports1550.com will have live coverage beginning at 6:45pm. Kickoff is set for 7pm.
Have you got any stats,starters etc. I can shoot you salems

Nice. Will be interesting to hear from you after game win or lose. Have a safe trip and welcome to Salem. By the way. A few odds and ends that might help you. Salem is an independent city with a population of 25000, it is not part of Roanoke city or Roanoke County. Salem school system has one high school, one middle school and four elementarys. Salem has won Seven 4a State Championships since 1996. Salem has been a AAA runner-up and runner-up in 4a twice. Before the city built Salem High the high school for Salem was Andrew Lewis. Lewis won two AAA state Championships back in the 60s. And was runner-up to TCWilliams (Remember the Titans team) in the early seventies. The Spartans are 47-5 over the last four years (10-3. 14-1. 14-0. 9-1) Back in 98,99, and 2000 Salem won three State Champion ships in a row. The Stadium seats between 7 and 8000 and is the home of the Division 3 National Championship game the Stagg bowl. No other high school or college plays there. No lacrosse or soccer played in the stadium. Salem has a different stadium with field turf for those sports. Salem s head coach played at Salem and was a highly recruited safety and qb, but he had to give up football because of a neck injury. Now armed with this knowledge go forth informed and let no man or woman ever call you ignorant about Salem again
Thank you very much for the information sir. We covered Clarke County in the 2A State Title game last December at this field which is part of a great facility with the baseball stadium etc. I grew up in Pulaski until 9th grade so I'm familiar with this part of the state but didn't know the details that you've provided.

One more bit of info Since becoming head coach of Salem HS Coach Magenbauer (Coach Mags) in 2004 the Spartans are 150- 21 (13 seasons). He replaced a retiring Hall of Fame Coach Willis White (the field is named after Coach White)

Salem's five losses over last 4 years:. Northside 17 Salem 10 at Northside. 2013. Byrd 30. Salem 29 at Salem . 2013

Sherando 7. Salem 0. At Sherando 2013. Lake Taylor 41. Salem 16 2014. at Liberty Amherst 42. Salem 40 at Salem this year

MILLBROOK STARTING LINEUPS:

Offense:

OT: Nick Campbell Senior

OT: Josh Vanderhoof Senior

OG: Dwayne Shank Senior

OG: Jared Hawthorne Senior

C: Nic Kline Junior

WR: Cameron Faint Senior

WR: Taylor Bruce Senior

WR: Conor Hartigan Senior

WR: Savon Smith Sophomore

RB: PK Kier Senior

QB: Zach Rogers Senior

Kicker: Haans Kloo Senior

Defense:

DE: Demarco Brown Senior

DE: Myles Bruce Junior

N: Dwayne Shank Senior

LB: Brandon Shingleton Junior

LB: Tyler Ratliff Senior

LB: Dakota Koenig Senior

LB: PK Kier Senior

LB: Conor Hartigan Senior

DB: Kevin Valyear Senior

DB: Cameron Faint Senior

DB: Josh Davis Senior

MILLBROOK STARTING LINEUPS:

Offense:

OT: Nick Campbell Senior

OT: Josh Vanderhoof Senior

OG: Dwayne Shank Senior

OG: Jared Hawthorne Senior

C: Nic Kline Junior

WR: Cameron Faint Senior

WR: Taylor Bruce Senior

WR: Conor Hartigan Senior

WR: Savon Smith Sophomore

RB: PK Kier Senior

QB: Zach Rogers Senior

Kicker: Haans Kloo Senior

Defense:

DE: Demarco Brown Senior

DE: Myles Bruce Junior

N: Dwayne Shank Senior

LB: Brandon Shingleton Junior

LB: Tyler Ratliff Senior

LB: Dakota Koenig Senior

LB: PK Kier Senior

LB: Conor Hartigan Senior

DB: Kevin Valyear Senior

DB: Cameron Faint Senior

DB: Josh Davis Senior
Talking about a team with the all or nothing approach going. They will lose 9 starters on both sides of the ball next year. Good luck to them Friday

Reactions: hamspear
Well. What do you think after playing Salem at Salem? Not trying to be smug or arrogant. Just wondered what your thoughts were.

Last edited:
Mistake number 1 that all the regular teams around here know.

Only send out your captains for the coin toss. I don't care who you are or how much you win, seeing a huge high school stadium full, a huge band dancing and cheering and playing on the field IS intimidating.

Most of the regular coaches keep the team in the field house until the team has been introduced, band and cheerleaders and fans are done and settling in, and the band is quickly getting into their seats in the stands. Only THEN do they let their team run out with their fight song. That can be a mind game right from the get go. Yes traveling is hard and it's even Harding walking into an atmosphere like that. I told you it was nothing like going to Jefferson Forest. The Radio announcer said he was familiar with Salem ao he knew that was coming.

Smith and Kier i take your word they are talented. But Larry Basham at Byrd is nothing like I have ever seen before he scored five TDS tonight before they took him out for safety reasons. Salem was lucky to keep him to two TDS and the third TD Basham actually threw the TD pass himself to his teammate.

Question is what on earth is Coach Mag going to do about Basham?

Basham had one TD in the game against Salem. The other play was a trick play where he pitched it back to the QB. Both teams will do things very similar to what they did in week 2 but will both have a few more wrinkles on offense.

Smith and Kier i take your word they are talented. But Larry Basham at Byrd is nothing like I have ever seen before he scored five TDS tonight before they took him out for safety reasons. Salem was lucky to keep him to two TDS and the third TD Basham actually threw the TD pass himself to his teammate.

Question is what on earth is Coach Mag going to do about Basham?

Luck? Did you watch that game? Basham had 130 yards on 30 carries.

Well. What do you think after playing Salem at Salem? Not trying to be smug or arrogant. Just wondered what your thoughts were.
Line play was dominant by Salem on both sides of the ball. Spartans were clearly the stronger and quicker team and Millbrook had no answers offensively or defensively. Salem has a fantastic program and I bet it extends to the Salem little league football program where I'm sure they run the same offense! It would make no difference where these two teams played, Salem would win. Congratulations and good luck the rest of the way!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT