ADVERTISEMENT

Missed 53 yd FG

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
I witnessed an attempt of a 53 yd FG that was well short, and didn't even make it to the EZ. The officials marked the ball at the 8 yd line on the Turnover on downs. (Like it was a punt) I assume that a short FG is treated like a punt? I guess I had never seen that or didn't remember it.

I witnessed an attempt of a 53 yd FG that was well short, and didn't even make it to the EZ. The officials marked the ball at the 8 yd line on the Turnover on downs. (Like it was a punt) I assume that a short FG is treated like a punt? I guess I had never seen that or didn't remember it.
That is correct. We always say as a reminder that a FG is a punt that can score points if it goes through the uprights. They are treated exactly the same except for the scoring of points aspect.

Related questions for clarity.
If the field goal attempt simply misses but does enter the end zone, where is it spotted? Can you fair catch a field goal attempt?

On KO’s, when is the ball a free ball that either team can recover? Is there a fair catch possible on a KO. Where is the ball placed if it is kicked out of bounds on the KO? Can the kicking team be made to kick again after a penalty for kicking the KO out of bounds instead of the receiving team accepting the ball where spotted? What are the rules on an “on-sides” kick?

Thank you.

Related questions for clarity.
If the field goal attempt simply misses but does enter the end zone, where is it spotted? Can you fair catch a field goal attempt?
Any kick that crosses the opponent’s goal line is dead and results in a touchback. This includes kicks that are muffed, contrary to popular belief.

Yes you can fair catch a field goal attempt that is short of the goal line. I’ve seen teams out in the country that have kickers that kick well off a place kick but can’t punt well. No reason in high school for them not to just “punt” via a FG attempt if the kicker has a better leg that way.

On KO’s, when is the ball a free ball that either team can recover? Is there a fair catch possible on a KO. Where is the ball placed if it is kicked out of bounds on the KO? Can the kicking team be made to kick again after a penalty for kicking the KO out of bounds instead of the receiving team accepting the ball where spotted? What are the rules on an “on-sides” kick?

Thank you.
R can always recover a kickoff at any point. K can recover the ball legally once 1.) R has touched the ball, or 2.) the ball has been grounded and gone beyond R’s restraining line (i.e., gone 10 yards)

Yes R can fair catch a kickoff.

A free kick (kickoff) out of bounds untouched by R is a foul that results in enforcement options for R: 1.) 5 yard penalty at the previous spot and rekick, 2.) 5 yard penalty tacked on to the succeeding spot, 3,) R’s ball 25 yards in advance of the previous spot (previous spot is the spot of the kickoff - this option usually gives R the ball at the 35 yard line since most kickoffs are from the 40), or 4.) decline the penalty and take the result of the play.

The main rules that come into play on onside kicks are first touching, illegal blocks, and pop-up kicks. If K touches the ball before the ball crosses R’s restraining line and before R has touched the ball, that’s a first touching spot where R can take the ball at that spot if they so choose (unless there’s an accepted live ball penalty during the down). K can not initiate a block against R in the 10 yard neutral zone until they are able to legally recover the ball or R has initiated a block against them. Lastly, kicks can’t be popped up - meaning the kick can’t be driven immediately into the ground where it then bounces high into the air. Pop-up kicks are dead ball fouls and are shut down immediately to protect the R players.

There’s other crazy things that can happen on onside kicks but those are the main rules that come to mind.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT