ADVERTISEMENT

Most competitive Classification

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
There has been some talk on the other boards about the number of teams with sub .500 records that made the playoffs. So I decided to see what the numbers show across all classifications. Just simply based on the number of sub .500 teams in the playoffs for each classification....

Class 6: Has 3 teams sub .500 in
Class 5: Has 5 teams sub .500 in
Class 4: Has 1 team sub .500 in
Class 3: Has 15(not a typo) of 32 teams sub .500 in
Class 2: Has 3 teams sub .500 in
Class 1: Has 8 teams sub .500 in

So based on these numbers, it's safe to say that Class 4 is the most competitive as a whole. Not only does Class 4 have the fewest sub. 500 teams in the playoffs, they also have the most undefeated teams. Louisa, Eastern View, Dinwiddie, and Monacan are all 10-0.

The problem goes deeper than just records.

Until scheduling is fixed and balanced, you're going to have teams with losing records make the Playoffs...especially those at the low end of the enrollment numbers. It's no coincidence that Groups 5, 3, and 1 all have more losing teams in the bracket than 6, 4, and 2.

Not only are those 4 teams undefeated in Group 4...they are all in the same region. So...they will all play each other at 11-0 next weekend, barring an upset tonight.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Based on the numbers and seeing a lot of these teams in person or on film 4a has a lot of quality teams. The 4B region is a monster with 4 undefeated teams facing each other this weekend!

I guess it depends on how you define "competitive". How many of the games in 4B were close in the first round as compared to the other regions? I would say 4B has some of the strongest teams, and Class 3B is probably the weakest. But, 3B is probably the most competitive within itself from top to bottom. Heck the #1 beat the #8 13-12 right?

There has been some talk on the other boards about the number of teams with sub .500 records that made the playoffs. So I decided to see what the numbers show across all classifications. Just simply based on the number of sub .500 teams in the playoffs for each classification....

Class 6: Has 3 teams sub .500 in
Class 5: Has 5 teams sub .500 in
Class 4: Has 1 team sub .500 in
Class 3: Has 15(not a typo) of 32 teams sub .500 in
Class 2: Has 3 teams sub .500 in
Class 1: Has 8 teams sub .500 in

So based on these numbers, it's safe to say that Class 4 is the most competitive as a whole. Not only does Class 4 have the fewest sub. 500 teams in the playoffs, they also have the most undefeated teams. Louisa, Eastern View, Dinwiddie, and Monacan are all 10-0.
Hey VolNation85 is that Todd Kirk Pennington Gap High School behind you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT