ADVERTISEMENT

Most Interesting Week 1 Match Up

Charlotte Vance is a hell of a draw first game for Heritage. I’d assume that this game was scheduled last year as former Halifax County star QB and former Vance head coach Aaron Brand took a job in South Carolina this April . Vance lost on a heartbreaking safety to 3x state champion Wake Forest out of Raleigh in the state championship this past December and Vance is probably the second or third best team in all of NC in 2019, depending on who you ask. If you all recall, Vance played GW a few years ago. Did not go too well for the Eagles. Also, slight correction Mike. Vance plays at the 4AA level in NC which equates to VA 6A. The classifications are tricky and easy to get confused. NC has too many damn champions (8) whereas they are only 6 in VA.

Reactions: Lewis918777
Charlotte Vance is a hell of a draw first game for Heritage. I’d assume that this game was scheduled last year as former Halifax County star QB and former Vance head coach Aaron Brand took a job in South Carolina this April . Vance lost on a heartbreaking safety to 3x state champion Wake Forest out of Raleigh in the state championship this past December and Vance is probably the second or third best team in all of NC in 2019, depending on who you ask. If you all recall, Vance played GW a few years ago. Did not go too well for the Eagles. Also, slight correction Mike. Vance plays at the 4AA level in NC which equates to VA 6A. The classifications are tricky and easy to get confused. NC has too many damn champions (8) whereas they are only 6 in VA.
When I checked the VHSL schedule I think that's where the Class 5 ranking came from. I guess for VHSL points purposes, Vance is considered a C5 school.

What level does Page play in and how do they compare to Vance? My high school is coming down there to play Page mid season,and we’re hoping for a good,competitive game. My school has won 4 straight 5A Virginia state titles.

When I checked the VHSL schedule I think that's where the Class 5 ranking came from. I guess for VHSL points purposes, Vance is considered a C5 school.
If it says that then I’m probably wrong myself. If Heritage were to win, I’m sure they’d like the 6A points over the 5A points lol

What level does Page play in and how do they compare to Vance? My high school is coming down there to play Page mid season,and we’re hoping for a good,competitive game. My school has won 4 straight 5A Virginia state titles.
Page will be good and probably the second best team you play after Oscar Smith. Last year we played them after they had to forfeit 4 games which I think killed all momentum for them going into the playoffs. Page was really good and relatively young last year. Very good QB in Javondre Paige, shifty backs, and they also have one of the state’s best players in Isaiah Smith who is going to Duke University to play safety. Lines are solid across the board. Should be a great football game. I do wish it was HS/Dudley though. Dudley has the best DL in the state of NC. #1 DT in NC for the class of 2019, an UNC commit, and the #2 DT for 2021, he’ll go to Alabama or Clemson. Plus they mirror Springers in the skill positions with 2-3 more Power 5 guys. Page plays Dudley before they play HS so we’ll know a little more about how they stack up with y’all.

Which games week 1 are most interesting to you?
You would think the EV/Culpeper game would be a big one to watch. Cross-town rivals and each coming off of a state semi-final year. But, due to the region that Culpeper was in being so weak, dealing with a new head coach, AD was let go, lost a lot of players, etc..., it looks like it's going to be the same result....running clock for EV at half.

Vance hired I. River HS head football coach. Glenwood Ferebee. At IR, they finally beat Oscar Smith after 20 year of consecutive losses... AND won the Southeastern District. His recruiting of transfers got that Braves team to a whole nother level. Unfortunately, Maury beat them at their own game and handed it to them in the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see how Vance does with their new coach. I don't think he's getting any of the 757 area coaches to join him. So, he's either using much of the old staff vs replacing them, not sure.

Reactions: ForTheKidz
Vance hired I. River HS head football coach. Glenwood Ferebee. At IR, they finally beat Oscar Smith after 20 year of consecutive losses... AND won the Southeastern District. His recruiting of transfers got that Braves team to a whole nother level. Unfortunately, Maury beat them at their own game and handed it to them in the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see how Vance does with their new coach. I don't think he's getting any of the 757 area coaches to join him. So, he's either using much of the old staff vs replacing them, not sure.
Vance has had a lot of kids over the past 8 years transfer to state powerhouse Mallard Creek which is right next door to them in NE Charlotte. Brand stopped a lot of that and made Vance a solid program. Charlotte/Mecklenburg County has a crap ton of transfers yearly so if the new head coach is liked he’ll retain his players and probably get some from neighboring schools. For example, Myers Park who is a prominent school in Charlotte ($$$$$) has never been good in anything but will be the #1 ranked team in the whole state of NC this year thanks to the transfer market. Their junior QB just signed to play for Alabama and they have 4-5 more players who will play in the ACC/SEC. My point is if he can recruit then he will be successful in Charlotte.

Reactions: rainman17
Vance has had a lot of kids over the past 8 years transfer to state powerhouse Mallard Creek which is right next door to them in NE Charlotte. Brand stopped a lot of that and made Vance a solid program. Charlotte/Mecklenburg County has a crap ton of transfers yearly so if the new head coach is liked he’ll retain his players and probably get some from neighboring schools. For example, Myers Park who is a prominent school in Charlotte ($$$$$) has never been good in anything but will be the #1 ranked team in the whole state of NC this year thanks to the transfer market. Their junior QB just signed to play for Alabama and they have 4-5 more players who will play in the ACC/SEC. My point is if he can recruit then he will be successful in Charlotte.
How is this allowed? Does the state and local officials just ignore it or the kids actually move?

How is this allowed? Does the state and local officials just ignore it or the kids actually move?
A little bit of both. Kids want to win and the NCHSAA is all about putting fans in the stands. It’s all about the $$$$. Don’t know what it is like in VA but the transfer market in NC is a real thing.

A little bit of both. Kids want to win and the NCHSAA is all about putting fans in the stands. It’s all about the $$$$. Don’t know what it is like in VA but the transfer market in NC is a real thing.
The transfer market in Virginia is real too. Kids want to win and the exposure. Without personal knowledge, I won't say anyone is recruiting. The local media outlets have covered transfers (in or out) at some of the recent successful VA programs like Smith, IR, Highland Springs, Manchester, etc. Its not just VA or NC either. I read an article earlier this year that noted Allen in Texas had over 70 transfers in a five year period. But, if you follow any national boards, you'll see Texas fans saying their schools develop their own players.

So basically the best high school coaches are the ones that can convince players to stay? In a nutshell you have to do a good job recruiting players in your own attendance zone?

So basically the best high school coaches are the ones that can convince players to stay? In a nutshell you have to do a good job recruiting players in your own attendance zone?
Wouldn’t say that convincing them to stay makes them the best coaches but I will agree with that last part. I coach at a high school where we’ve lost some significat talent to neighboring schools in Northern Guilford, Dudley, and Reidsville. These teams have won multiple state titles in the past 7 years. We’ve still managed to win our conference twice and we’ve been to the 3rd round of the playoffs 3 times. The best coaches win with what they have, if you can keep your kids then that’s a plus.

Reactions: aw19752
The Louisa @ Courtland game 8/30 will be played on Courtland’s new Blue Turf. That my friends no one can match.

Brand played at Emory with Torrence as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT